Tactic Ideas for 1860 in Bundesliga

I’m in 2024 and just got promoted to the Bundesliga for the second time all the way from the German Fourth Division. I played with Cleon’s 4-2-3-1 to get me up through the leagues, but the formation really struggles against better teams even when I drop my line back and reduce my FB’s closing down.

Anyways, I’m looking for tactical ideas as I have two pacey, short strikers with good passing and finishing attributes, a young but physical midfield, good off the ball but not too fast wingers, and an inexperienced defense which I plan to strengthen this offseason with Früchtl as my goalie.

I was hoping some of you have had success bringing weaker teams up to par in the Bundesliga. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Something that many people say and is not entirely true is that you need to change tactics when you are promoted. You can still keep the same tactic in the Bundesliga as long as you improve your squad accordingly. If you have been achieving successive promotions, why do you feel the need to change? With better players the tactic will continue to work.

7 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Something that many people say and is not entirely true is that you need to change tactics when you are promoted. You can still keep the same tactic in the Bundesliga as long as you improve your squad accordingly. If you have been achieving successive promotions, why do you feel the need to change? With better players the tactic will continue to work.

Sadly I tried to stick with Cleon’s 4-2-3-1 the first time I got promoted and it was horrible for me. My players didn’t have the pace to recover on the wings and I got exploited no matter how deep I dropped my line or how much I used the “close down less” instruction for my fullbacks. I tinkered with it a little bit gave up when I couldn’t make it work.

On 3/29/2018 at 14:11, Jean0987654321 said:

First off, Congrats on getting promoted.

Second off, you should prolly read this thread as Cloen himself got his team promoted and this could be helpful for you

Just finished reading this, Cleon puts out great content and ideas. Don’t know how I missed it but thank you for the share!

How do you play? It is difficult to give you advice without knowing how you play and everyone would be just guessing. Also bear in mind that the step from the second to the first tier is usually the most difficult one as there is more money involved. So maybe your team is just not good enough anymore to pull off your tactic.

I currently play a 4-1-2-3 on counter with low cross as the only TI because of m short attack.  I play a HB to help against 4-4-2's that I see alot, and in attack I play through my wingers alot and use my DLP-A to disperse the ball.  See below for my tactic

GK-D

FB-A                      CB-D                       CB-D                 FB-S

HB-D

B2B-S                     CM-S

W-S                                                                                IF-A

DLP-A

Archived