The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

20 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Luxembourg would be quite interesting as well, looking at their recent development.

What recent development? The national team?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a bit of a surprise catching up on 'World Soccer' today. It mentioned the new Italian Federation president... Gabriele Gravina! A familiar name for those of us who have read The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro', no doubt wondering how on earth he managed to climb so high.

On 14/11/2018 at 17:13, deltablue said:

I got a bit of a surprise catching up on 'World Soccer' today. It mentioned the new Italian Federation president... Gabriele Gravina! A familiar name for those of us who have read The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro', no doubt wondering how on earth he managed to climb so high.

Jesus H Christ. How did he get that job?

17 hours ago, noikeee said:

A webpage that randomly assigned you a lower league club, back in the ancient days when dinosaurs roamed the internet.

It was also a llama.

No wonder it didn't last, a llama around all them dinosaurs.

On 14/11/2018 at 18:13, deltablue said:

Another "miracle" :eek:

Seems very strange at first look, but then again, considering it´s italian football and what we read about it in Joe McGinnis book...

idk if this is a thread for just random people posting info on their games, if there's another one let me know, tried searching it and nothing really looked like it - I used to love those threads.

But I just had to let someone see this, this hurts

fuuuu.png

I've gotten the most rotten luck with CL Group draws, seeded at best 3rd for the last two seasons or so and 4th between that I've literally gotten

Barca, Inter this season

Real Madrid and City last season

Man Utd, Leverkusen AND Inter three seasons ago

Real Madrid and Marseille our first season - probably our easiest draw but our team wasn't really at the level to put up any fight.

Inter beat me in Italy with a 87th minute winner, Barca humbled me at Nou Camp but I won both of them at home with a blitzing counter attacking football and thrashed Zagreb in both games - Worst part is I've had this happen before and know that despite all the ****ing rules - when 3 teams end up even, they just make a mini group and only account for results within those teams and my loss to Barca was to big.

S H I * E

Edited by johangod

12 hours ago, johangod said:

idk if this is a thread for just random people posting info on their games, if there's another one let me know, tried searching it and nothing really looked like it - I used to love those threads.

But I just had to let someone see this, this hurts

fuuuu.png

I've gotten the most rotten luck with CL Group draws, seeded at best 3rd for the last two seasons or so and 4th between that I've literally gotten

Barca, Inter this season

Real Madrid and City last season

Man Utd, Leverkusen AND Inter three seasons ago

Real Madrid and Marseille our first season - probably our easiest draw but our team wasn't really at the level to put up any fight.

Inter beat me in Italy with a 87th minute winner, Barca humbled me at Nou Camp but I won both of them at home with a blitzing counter attacking football and thrashed Zagreb in both games - Worst part is I've had this happen before and know that despite all the ****ing rules - when 3 teams end up even, they just make a mini group and only account for results within those teams and my loss to Barca was to big.

S H I * E

Here you go mate:

Really struggling to settle into a save but think I've finally found one. In Ireland with UCD, chose them because of Neil Farrugia, the French wing-wizard. Was expected to win the 2nd tier of Ireland but missed out on first to Longford. We gained promotion still finishing second and winning the play-offs. Avoiding relegation was the aim in the 2nd season, we did much better than expected to finish an impressive 3rd behind runaway winners Dundalk but just a point behind Waterford who were in 2nd. Farrugia was key in both seasons, 19 goals in 25 first season and 23 in 33 in the 2nd season. Other key players were Brandon Miele signed on a free from Shamrock and the evergreen Jonathan Walters who played wide target man on the right wing, who was released by Burnley. 

Into the 3rd season I've overhauled the squad, my DoF has gone on a loan signing spree, bringing in 7 young players from Premiership sides including Felix Nmecha from Man City and Paul Glatzel from Liverpool. I've also tried hoovering up any first team players from the likes of Shamrock, Dundalk and Cork who could improve the squad as will enter the Europa League qualification rounds in July/August. A league title could be in the bag come the end of this season. 

27 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Really struggling to settle into a save but think I've finally found one. In Ireland with UCD, chose them because of Neil Farrugia, the French wing-wizard. Was expected to win the 2nd tier of Ireland but missed out on first to Longford. We gained promotion still finishing second and winning the play-offs. Avoiding relegation was the aim in the 2nd season, we did much better than expected to finish an impressive 3rd behind runaway winners Dundalk but just a point behind Waterford who were in 2nd. Farrugia was key in both seasons, 19 goals in 25 first season and 23 in 33 in the 2nd season. Other key players were Brandon Miele signed on a free from Shamrock and the evergreen Jonathan Walters who played wide target man on the right wing, who was released by Burnley. 

Into the 3rd season I've overhauled the squad, my DoF has gone on a loan signing spree, bringing in 7 young players from Premiership sides including Felix Nmecha from Man City and Paul Glatzel from Liverpool. I've also tried hoovering up any first team players from the likes of Shamrock, Dundalk and Cork who could improve the squad as will enter the Europa League qualification rounds in July/August. A league title could be in the bag come the end of this season. 

I'm managing Cork City at the moment and I'd strongly recommend signing Cummins, Griffin, Sadlier or Sheppard if there's any chance you can. Ronan Murray for Dundalk seemed to kill it for them as well so he could be worth signing.

9 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I'm managing Cork City at the moment and I'd strongly recommend signing Cummins, Griffin, Sadlier or Sheppard if there's any chance you can. Ronan Murray for Dundalk seemed to kill it for them as well so he could be worth signing.

Thanks for that. I've got no money, -£500k in the bank. 

Murray is at Shamrock, did well last season after signing on a free from them. Sadlier is still at Cork but injured and plays in Farrugia's inside forward position. I've got better than Sheppard, Griffin signed for Walsall for 68k and Cummins joined Falkirk on a free. 

I want to sign more players from within the Irish league but need a good EC run to balance the books. 

20 hours ago, ToMexico!! said:

Thanks for that. I've got no money, -£500k in the bank. 

Murray is at Shamrock, did well last season after signing on a free from them. Sadlier is still at Cork but injured and plays in Farrugia's inside forward position. I've got better than Sheppard, Griffin signed for Walsall for 68k and Cummins joined Falkirk on a free. 

I want to sign more players from within the Irish league but need a good EC run to balance the books. 

Operation balance the books has been completed. We're back into the black thanks to a league and cup treble plus reaching the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Europa League. The on loan boys of Fowler (from Burnley) scored 41 in 55 games and Nmecha (from Man City) scored 17 and made 15 assists were the stand outs along with Faruggia who scored 13 and made 21 assists. 

I want to try and steer away from so many loan players in the new season so will need at least a new CB, AMC and ST along with trying to improve the full back areas. 

In other news Man City signed Harry Kane for £187m and also looking to sign Mbappe :eek: Newcastle are yet to sign a single player in 2.5 Premiership seasons but sold Lascelles to West Ham and are playing Hayden at CB :idiot:

Quick question for you guys. I'm looking to get stuck into a save soon and I enjoy writing up and putting update posts together etc., and while I have some ideas of how I want to display the content, I thought it'd make sense to tap into all the resources here for maybe some additional inspiration and ask who's content you enjoy reading? Be it their layout, graphics, writing style, post size etc. I'm keen to give them a read.

1 hour ago, Mikal said:

Quick question for you guys. I'm looking to get stuck into a save soon and I enjoy writing up and putting update posts together etc., and while I have some ideas of how I want to display the content, I thought it'd make sense to tap into all the resources here for maybe some additional inspiration and ask who's content you enjoy reading? Be it their layout, graphics, writing style, post size etc. I'm keen to give them a read.

My preference used to be 1 single update at the end of each season, with more detailed posts made during the season as and when required. I found though that I felt like these were often hard work when what I really wanted to do was just press continue, keep playing and get to the start of the next season. I think I copied this style of posting from the most popular @dafugechallenge threads back in the day when this post was the norm and I think is still the style that @dafugeuses. 

More recently though, I have followed the style used by the likes of @Makoto Nakamura, @Rikulec & @BoxToBox which consists of regular monthly updates showing fixtures and league tables and just updating as you go. I occasionally slip into a more detailed post about something that I particularly want to talk about, but in the main I'm about making smaller posts more often rather than huge detailed posts once per year. 

The reason I changed was because I found that these were the threads I most liked following. 

Something else that I love in threads that I follow is a summary sheet charting accomplishments as the save progresses. Unfortunately though I am less good at keeping these updated in my own threads. 

Whatever you decide though, do what suits you as a poster rather than whet suits us as readers. The most important aspect of any update thread is that you keep posting updates. If you do, someone will read it. 

I struggle to get into saves that only update once a year as you don't really get swept up in any kind of narrative. Was it a close title race? Did they sneak into Europe in the last weeks? How about that cup run with a tiny club, or that desperate battle against relegation?

In an annual update it just becomes a "so we won the league..." and misses all the drama. 

1 hour ago, withnail316 said:

I struggle to get into saves that only update once a year as you don't really get swept up in any kind of narrative. Was it a close title race? Did they sneak into Europe in the last weeks? How about that cup run with a tiny club, or that desperate battle against relegation?

In an annual update it just becomes a "so we won the league..." and misses all the drama. 

Exact same for me. Monthly updates give more context so you can see the highs and lows. Did they go on a winning streak? Did their form go into a tailspin and they had to fight for their job? It also means people generally go into more detail, allowing you to see which of their players are performing well.

Depends on the thread, I can get behind most if they're having fun. @Bedese for example usually only does end of season and intake day updates, and his threads are always great.

The only ones I really don't get into are the ones that are links to youtube, but that's just personal taste.

18 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Depends on the thread, I can get behind most if they're having fun. @Bedese for example usually only does end of season and intake day updates, and his threads are always great.

The only ones I really don't get into are the ones that are links to youtube, but that's just personal taste.

Yeah that's true. @Bedese would be an exception. It's not a hard and fast rule but I just generally prefer monthly updates.