How to observe opposition tactical changes during a match ?

Hello guys,

Quick question here: I've sat FM out for a few years (last one I played was FM 15) and now for some reason I don't appear to see any kind of notification when an opponent is making a change to their formation / mentality / player roles during a game.

What I mean is that, if I remember correctly, in previous editions you would get a commentary line or a notification of sorts telling you - for example - that the opposition is sending more players forward or are reverting to their usual style etc. This year I don't notice it ? Maybe I'm missing something, but this is useful information and it would be nice to have it when playing in more-or-less extended highlights mode.

Thanks !

13 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

It's still happening in my game

All I get in the commentary are my assistant's suggestions and my own shouts. Nothing about the oppositions. As I said, in Highlights mode it was very useful as I could pause and analyse a bit of what's changed. Do you still get this info on the same section as the assistant's feedback ?

13 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

I change one of the in-game widgets to opposition formation, so you'll notice if it changes. I don't seem to get the commentary lines either.

That's one way of keeping an eye on it, but I do miss the pop-up commentary.

Another question - kind of on the same topic: in previous versions (FM 15 at least) there were some widget tricks which allowed you to observe the oppositions roles' mentalities (i.e. Support, Defend), is that still possible in this version ? Preferrably as an addon to the game's own skin (I find it quite ok, don't use a custom one).

You do get a message in the commentry 'vidi-printer' at the bottom of the screen, but it gets lost very easily amongst the other commentry and is gone in a few seconds.

Might be a good idea to have strategy related commentry to be displayed in a different colour so it stands out from the regular commentry? EG changes of formation, teams pushing forward/sitting back, etc

The lines exist still, you just have to be reading them.

It is also worthwhile keeping the opposition formation widget open. You can then see automatically if they have changed their formation. Finally, you can also tell by watching the match if they have changed how they are playing. 

Archived