Save Scumming ?

Hey, as far as I remember, back in FM 15 you could quit in the middle of a match and immediately reload, but now in this version that's no longer possible ? What I mean is the only option I have is to completely exit and relaunch the game, otherwise loading a save is not possible, unless I play-out the entire match. Any ideas ?

6 hours ago, Blah_1123 said:

Get good?

If only... :D

After a few weeks of reading and over 100 hrs. of gameplay I still can't get anything out of the game.

Kind of why I never even bothered with it in the last couple of years. FM 18 was an impulse buy, it's turned out again to be a waste of time for me.

I haven't tried playing with the likes of Barcelona or Man City (which seem to be what a lot of folks use to test "incredible tactics"), but I've no doubt I could turn them into relegation battlers in no time, unless the Chairman acts quickly. :D

10 hours ago, FrazT said:

You need to finish the match

No, you can return to your home page at any point in the match, and quit from the menu as usual. Not that I've ever done that... :ackter:

30 minutes ago, warlock said:

No, you can return to your home page at any point in the match, and quit from the menu as usual. Not that I've ever done that... :ackter:

Fine- I will bow to your obvious experience there

I would rather play the game properly, so to say, but unfortunately I can't get anything out of it. Just wasted another whole day on another save attempt. I thought FM 15 was bad, but this is shocking. Uninstall and godspeed. :)

15 hours ago, Jebedaias said:

I would rather play the game properly, so to say, but unfortunately I can't get anything out of it. Just wasted another whole day on another save attempt. I thought FM 15 was bad, but this is shocking. Uninstall and godspeed. :)

I hear ya - I've always had this problem with FM too, where I can try whatever tactic and barely get results anyway, I never really get feedback on what's right and what's wrong with my tactic (let's not count the random pile of contradictory "advice" the assistant manager spews during a match), and it seems like there is a caste of FM players (probably hardcore football enthusiasts IRL) who just understand this game and know what to do whenever they run into a problem, and then there are the rest of us who are just completely mystified.

Still though, I'm just wondering what your experience was. What do you mean "wasted"? Did you just lose a bunch of games in a row? Did you get relegated from La Liga as Barcelona?

4 hours ago, Salaq said:

and it seems like there is a caste of FM players (probably hardcore football enthusiasts IRL) who just understand this game and know what to do whenever they run into a problem, and then there are the rest of us who are just completely mystified.

I agree, I think many people look too far into the tactics. I've played since 97/98 and have been happy just doing my own thing tactically. But with this version I was getting a bit bored and wanted to try some different formations, struggled, and came here to pick up advice and tips. What a waste of time that was lol! I understood most of what I was reading, and it made sense, so I took those ideas to create my own versions, using the principles of what the 'tactics gods' were selling. Balanced roles/positions/mentality, different avenues of attack etc etc etc. Nearly got me sacked. I've just recently managed to forgot all of the 'advice' I was reading and figured my own way of doing things out (or more like, re-learned my methods). Won the domestic treble in my first season (sacrificed my CL run as three important league games either side and between the CL fixtures).

The 'tactics gods' ideas clearly work, that's why they have so much success. But what works for them won't work for everybody. Do your own thing, figure it out for yourself. Or accidentally stumble on success. It doesn't matter how you figure it out, but coming on here and listening to multiple methods and success stories can be counter productive.

1 hour ago, Tom8983 said:

But what works for them won't work for everybody.

And what everyone seems to overlook: unless you're playing with the same team, in the same league, in the same year, with the same players, why would it work?

I suppose if you are save scumming to test tactics etc then there may be some forgiveness ;)

Even still who would expect Man U to beat Man City 3-2 after being 2-0 down at halftime. I wonder how many times you would have to re-load from a save to repeat this. As always its the beauty of football to be unpredictable and have many factors / luck etc to make a result

15 hours ago, FrazT said:

How does a thread about re-loading turn into another tactical discussion?  Please  get back on topic or it will be closed

Conversations are fluid and often move on from the initial point? Kinda how conversations work *shrug* but fair enough.

6 ore fa, MrPompey ha scritto:

I suppose if you are save scumming to test tactics etc then there may be some forgiveness ;)

As you long as the save-scumming career is a private matter and it doesn't become a vehicle to showcase one's magnificent managerial skills and tactical acumen, I'm fine with people reloading every single game til they've won the EPL with WBA in their first season...

If someone has the time and the dedication to do so, more power to him!

6 ore fa, MrPompey ha scritto:

Even still who would expect Man U to beat Man City 3-2 after being 2-0 down at halftime. I wonder how many times you would have to re-load from a save to repeat this. As always its the beauty of football to be unpredictable and have many factors / luck etc to make a result

That'd be annoying, but still within the realm of possibility.

Swap Man U with Stoke City and we may have a "**** it! Alt+F4" situation... Especially if it's like the 5th time you end up losing a winnable game in the same season.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:49, Salaq said:

Still though, I'm just wondering what your experience was. What do you mean "wasted"? Did you just lose a bunch of games in a row? Did you get relegated from La Liga as Barcelona?

Well, I generally am very thorough in pre-season, sorting out the staff and squad, setting up the training and friendlies and, of course, fiddling around with tactics I'd like to use. This in addition to the time spent reading some of the guides and posts around here and the web. All fine and dandy, then the actual competitive matches start and... things fall apart. Bad results, morale drops, in no time players become unhappy about this or that, morale drops even lower and from then on you can imagine.

I've never actually been sacked as I find no joy in playing big clubs, but what really got me last time was a save I tried with Hellas Verona (with whom I've had one of the most memorable saves back in CM days). Results were quite good in the first few matches, but soon turned south and I ended up with something like 0-1-8 (quite realistic if you look at the Serie A table heh). As if this wasn't frustrating enough, the icing on the cake this time were the injuries. I mean it was unreal, every other day a player got injured in training. Mostly for 1-2 days (for those who know Verona, Romulo picked these up literally every 3 days, I was never able to have him fully fit). This on top of the "usual" 4-5 months out for some important players - which I could understand if I'd have pushed them in training, but I was not (Balanced, Medium workload, not giving them extra individual focus). Eventually got fed-up and deleted the game (haven't gotten around to uninstall it since I may actually give it another chance sometime).

All in all this is what I meant. Spend hours trying to set everything up properly and it just feels like the game's constantly throwing things at you - if not bad performances, then injury crises, sometimes both (this was the second time I've tried Verona, first time I've had no problems with injuries, but results were bad from the start and kept on that line until I've decided there's no point in continuing).

My guess about the injuries is that they may be tied to the "Hardness of Training" hidden attribute that coaches have and which is mostly randomly set at the start of a new games. Again, just guessing, but it could be that if they end-up with a high value for this then they may be working players harder, hence the higher risk of injury (which if true sucks because unless you want to go through the editor you end-up with whatever the RNG blesses you with).

Bottom line is so far I've spent over 100 hours in the game alone and haven't been able to get into it properly. No continuity, injury crises, bad results after bad results... I wasn't exactly expecting to go on winning streaks considering the teams I've tried out, but still... Ah, and also I'm the type of guy who'd much prefer to get a 1-0 win than a 3-2 and keeping clean sheets is quite a rarity for me it seems.

On a proper save I don't want to save scum - I did it for some achievements (Steam) on a first playthrough which I didn't really care about.

@Jebedaias 

We are going off topic from save scumming unfortunately and we will get told off. However...

Injury Crisis - Football Management in real life is always a challenge including injuries. You need to balance  your FM experience with real life experience. Looking at Verona in real life if this data is correct then Verona currently has 6 players with injuries:

https://www.online-betting.me.uk/italy-serie-a-injuries-and-suspensions.php

Always check real life stats with FM stats to balance your view as you might find FM is more life like than you think ;)

4 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

@Jebedaias 

We are going off topic from save scumming unfortunately and we will get told off. However...

Injury Crisis - Football Management in real life is always a challenge including injuries. You need to balance  your FM experience with real life experience. Looking at Verona in real life if this data is correct then Verona currently has 6 players with injuries:

https://www.online-betting.me.uk/italy-serie-a-injuries-and-suspensions.php

Always check real life stats with FM stats to balance your view as you might find FM is more life like than you think ;)

Heh, yeah, result-wise I was also about true to real life it seems. But that's not quite what I had in mind when I started with them. :D

1 minute ago, Jebedaias said:

Heh, yeah, result-wise I was also about true to real life it seems. But that's not quite what I had in mind when I started with them. :D

Well don't give up, ultimately if you do well you could offer your services to real life Verona :)

30 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

Well don't give up, ultimately if you do well you could offer your services to real life Verona :)

Yeah, considering my tactical genius and top man-management I'd have a breeze. :D

And hey, to continue the off-topic a bit, when I picked-up the game I started a save in the Romanian Second League (which is so obscure I don't think anyone but hardcore fans or locals follow) and I was joking about it with a friend that I don't even know who I'm supposed to play the next away game against, but since the club's so financially strapped I wouldn't even have to know, just cut some costs and only send some players there, if they need anything they could just give me a call.

Imagine me sitting in a pub doing nothing, phone rings: "Boss, they're running us ragged here, what are we supposed to do ?" and I'd be like "Well, I dunno, go Overload on them ?" - "What ?" - "You know, try to score or something". Remote manager, now there's a thing. :D

Archived