Robber Barons of the Côte d'Azur -Chronicles from the Dark Underbelly of French Football

OMDave

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Tyrone. Not sure about Jean Reno as Le Spliff; he'd be a bit old to play him. Still, it's a nice idea...

Game reports and team news (source: football365.fr -National updates section).

17th March 2004, Stadium Lille-Métropole (att. 2539).

Wasquehal 0, AS Cannes 3.

14. Free kick sent in by Moustaïd from 45 yards out. Superb header from the edge of the area by Diawara, which leaves the keeper no chance. 0-1.

33. Lafond is sent off for his second yellow card, and Wasquehal are down to ten men.

51. El Kadouri beats his man down the left touchline and sends in a great cross for Courtel, who sidefoots it into the right corner of the goal from the penalty spot. 0-2.

89. After a corner from the left, a goalmouth scramble ensues and the hapless Ballois hits the ball into his own net. 0-3.

A very solid team performance, which also saw Djibril Diawara designated as man-of-the-match. Dembelé will be out one week with a sprained ankle, but the other injuries (three in all during the game) were benign.

19th March 2004.

Jorge Vargas was called up to the Chile squad. He has made two appearances for them so far this season, both as substitutes.

20th March 2003, La Bocca (att. 2624).

AS Cannes 4, Angoulême 0.

22. A poor clearance falls to Mohammed twenty yards out. He lashes it into the roof of the net with his right. 1-0.

45 (+2). Gaborit pushes Lemaire over in the box. Magallanes blasts the ball diwn the middle and scores. 2-0.

53. Zoko's corner from the right is met by Chelidze's glancing header atthe near post. 3-0.

81. Chelidze runs into the box from the right side and delivers a perfect cut-back for Mohammed, whose header is parried by the Wasquehal keeper. Zoko scores on the rebound with an instinctive volley. 4-0.

Cannes were rampant in this very one-sided game. Mohammed was outstanding in the middle of the park, and Lascha Chelidze -a player warmly recommended to Spliff by his boyhood hero, current manager of the Georgian national side Alain Giresse- played his best game so far for the club, getting his first goal in the process. It was also the first time he played an entire game.

With closest rivals Valenciennes losing at home to Reims, Cannes officially become champions in the National for season 2003/04. Six games remain to be played in the competition. Cannes' record so far, from 32 games, is 26 wins, 4 draws and just 2 defeats, with 96 goals scored and 19 conceded.

3rd April 2004.

Six players were called up to their respective international squads. Mohammed, Mutiu and Lawal for Nigeria, Shereni for Zimbabwe, Dika for Cameroon and El Kadouri for Morocco.

5th April 2004.

Zoko tore a groin muscle in training, and is expected to be out around two months. He will therefore miss the whole of the end of the season.

10th April 2004.

Shereni, El Kadouri and Dika all played for their respective countries. After his first appearance for Cameroon, Jean Dika publicly thanked Le Spiff for giving him the self-belief to achieve this.

14th April 2004, La Bocca (att. 2687).

AS Cannes 1, Dijon 0.

13. Chelidze's free-kick finds Diawara near the penalty spot. His header is blocked, but Inkango is on hand to slot it in from six yards. 1-0

Far too many wayward shots for Cannes, who were once again unable to kill off a game when they should have. The last fifteen minutes were tense, with Cannes down to ten men after Dembelé injured himself (three changes had already been made at this point). Then Tournut injured himself, too, and Cannes were down to nine men for the last five. In the end, though, they still earned themselves a deserved three points.

Inkango's season is over, as he tore a claf muscle and will be out at least two months. Dembelé and Tournut's injuries were benign. With Zoko and Inkango both out for the remaining games, there is now a definite lack of cover up front for Cannes. Ludovic Viltard and 16-year-old Christophe Lemaire may get to play a more active part in proceedings.

Transcript of recording from surveillance equipment (source: Organised Crime Unit, Criminal Investigations Unit, DAT audio file no. KF/3261-7, recording dated 22nd March 2004, 22:46 local time).

Attached note reads: "No visuals available. Unidentified voices numbered, with accompanying inferences where appropriate. Conversation recorded at the 'Le Belphégore' restaurant in Cannes". (signed: Detective Inspector Laurent Giacomelli, OCU)

(...)

Voice One*: I'm glad you could come, old friend.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: I'm always happy to see you. And besides, we have something to celebrate.

Voice One: Indeed we do. Quite a job your nephew is doing, even though we did put a few extra cards in his hand, so to speak.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Yes, I'm proud of the lad, and I knew he had it in him. I wonder how he must feel right now...

Voice One: When was the last time you saw him?

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Quite a while now. Two months, perhaps three. I've thought it best to keep a low profile and let him get on with it. We still have plenty of time to prepare the next phase, in any case.

Voice One: That is true. My employers are hoping for as quick a return as possible on their investment.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: We've agreed on five years -remember that.

Voice One: But of course. And you still have my word on that, hermáno. Let's drink to the health of this young man, then. To your nephew. Salúd!

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Salúd!

(clinking of glasses)

(...)

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: If the club were to make the Final, would you like me to get you some tickets?

Voice One: Hómbre! What an excellent idea! Thank you, hermáno!

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: And do you suppose your employers might be interested too?

Voice One: I shall certainly pass on your offer, which I am sure will be much appreciated.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Good. Now let's eat.

(...)

*Unidentified male, possibly Bolivian or Peruvian according to our translators. This is the same individual as the one labelled as 'Voice One' in DAT audio file KB/5294-13.

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -dated 24th April 2004.

This week I seem to be spending more time speaking to journalists and doing PR work than with the squad on the training grounds. Weirdly enough, now that we've reached our goal -and since Christmas I've been convinced that we would- it feels like a bit of an anticlimax. What really keeps me going is the prospect of leading the team to the Stade de France, for a cup final against one of the Ligue 1 giants. Need to beat Mulhouse first, of course, but we'll be playing the semi-final at home and I'll be able to field my strongest side -barring injuries, of course.

France Football are doing a piece on us in next Friday's issue, and I spent part of my aftrenoon with one of their journalists, Denis Chaumier. The guy certainly likes his Leffe -must be widespread amongst hacks- and by the end of our conversation I was in no fit state to do anything useful back at the office, so I called Gabriel [Desmenez] to say I'd see him in the morning, and headed back home.

And here I am after a shower, strong coffee and a couple of spliffs, thinking about going down to Francesco's for a plate of gnocchi and a bottle of barolo. I wonder whether it will be more stressful next year, in Ligue 2, what with the stakes being higher and everything. But right now, the way I see it is that it gets easier with each passing day -in fact, it's already become a routine so comfortable that I'm becoming less and less capable of imagining doing anything else...

There are six games left, and we'll be going out to win every one of them, but it'll be an opportunity for some of the lads who have played less often than they had hoped, a chance to show what they can do. I'm going to have some tough decisions to make this summer, I think.

Right now, though, the priority is to get to that cup final, and then who knows what might happen...

Game reports and team news (source: 'Bocca Vera!' fanzine, issues covering the last two weeks of April).

17th April 2004, Stade Paul Gasser (att. 2525). National.

Raon-l'Etape O

AS Cannes 1

Goal: Diawara (0-1, 26).

Shots: Raon-l'Etape 1(1), AS Cannes 11(7).

This was the third game in a row which Cannes finished with ten men or less, with Dembelé receiving a second yellow card with twenty minutes of the game left. Nonetheless, it was an easy victory and Cannes' back four were never really threatened. Diawara and Moustaïd were in particularly good form, and young Viltard put in a useful performance up front alongside Mutiu.

Nantes have won the League Cup, on penalties against Montpellier. The full-time result was a drab 0-0, and Montpellier will count themselves unlucky as they'd had the better chances.

24th April 2004, La Bocca (att. 1901). French Cup Semi-Final.

AS Cannes (Nat) 3

Mulhouse (CFA) 0

Goals: Toledo (1-0, 37; 3-0, 66), Diawara (2-0, 43).

Shots: AS Cannes 19(14), Mulhouse 2(2).

A good collective performance, capped once again by Toledo's brilliance. Mulhouse were too weak offensively to do any damage, and the Cannes midfield were given free rein to run proceedings. The attendance, inexplicably, was even smaller than in an average National game, despite the fact that this victory sends Cannes to the final of the French Cup, something which last happened in 1932, when Cannes won it.

In the other semi-final, Paris SG beat Marseille 3-2 after extra time in a breath-taking game at the Vélodrome. The final will take place on 29th May 2004, at the Stade de France.

1st May 2004, La Bocca (att. 2611). National.

As Cannes 7

Pau 0

Goals: Tournut (1-0, 10), Toledo (2-0, 30; 4-0, 38), Moustaïd (3-0, 36; 6-0, 85), Emanuelson (5-0, 83), Viltard (7-0, 90+1).

Shots: AS Cannes 32(21), Pau 0(0).

Cannes overwhelmed their opponents from beginning to end, relentlessly, and Pau could not muster up a single chance throughout the game. Toledo and Moustaïd were superb, and Tournut was a rock at the back. This game was a real lesson in how football ought to be played, and further demonstration -if any was needed- of the qualities which have earnt Cannes their promotion from this level of the game.

Game reports and team news (source: football365.fr -National updates section).

8th May 2004, Stade Jean-Antoine Moueix (att. 2699).

Libourne 2, AS Cannes 2.

32. Diawara squares it to Mohammed, who blasts a thirty-yarder into the top left corner. 0-1.

43. Great crossfield ball by Theze which sends Otta clean through down the right. Otta calmly chips the advancing Filimonov from the edge of the area. 1-1.

54. Astier's through-ball puts Marchano in the clear, and the striker takes it into the box before easily slotting it beyond the onrushing keeper's reach. 2-1.

79. Magallanes is bundled over in the box. Moustaid steps up and fires the penalty into the lower right-hand corner. 2-2.

Despite twice taking the lead, Libourne were fortunate to come away from this encounter with a point. But Cannes, without Toledo who was suspended, seemed to rely on Suleiman Mohammed's long- and middle-distance shooting to cause any damage, and on the day the Libourne goalkeeper was equal to the task of keeping most of them out.

Of particular concern to Cannes will be the fact that, in a spectacular and accidental collision, Badr El Kadouri suffered a fractured cheekbone during the game, and will be unable to take part in the cup final. His impressive wingplay has been one of the determinant features of Cannes' title-winning side, and he is sure to be sorely missed at the Stade de France.

On the same day, Besancon were officially relegated from Ligue 2, Louhans-Cuiseaux won promotion from the National, whilst GFCO Ajaccio and Sete are both relegated from the National. Four teams, including Libourne, are fighting it out to avoid the two other relegation berths in the division.

12th May 2004.

Ludovic Viltard strained a groin muscle in training and will be unavailable for around three weeks, which effectively ends his season. Another option closed up front for the two remaining games (the last game in National and the cup final).

19th May 2004.

Dinamo Kiev beat Parma on penalties (4-3) in the UEFA Cup final in Goteborg. The full-time score was 1-1.

22nd May 2004, La Bocca (att. 2794).

AS Cannes 1, Nimes 0.

12. Lawal crosses from the left. Diawara jumps highest at the back post and heads it in from eight yards out. 1-0.

49. Toledo lands a right hook square on Massolin's jaw, earning himself a straight red.

Despite playing with ten men for almost half of the game, Cannes easily controlled the play and should have scored more goals. The most significant moment of the game was Toledo's sending off, which costs him his participation in the cup final. Another major blow to the Mediterranean minnows' dream of creating an upset at the Stade de France.

Saint-Etienne were crowned champions of Ligue 2, with Caen also promoted. Clermont were relegated from Ligue 2, whereas Nimes gain promotion from the National despite their defeat at La Bocca. Dijon and Libourne are the last two clubs relegated from the National.

• 1 month later...

Statistical overview for the 2003/04 National season (source: France Football issue #3032, Tuesday 25th May 2004).

Promoted:

1st: Cannes (98 points; 31 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats; 111 goals scored and 22 conceded)

2nd: Louhans-Cuiseaux (71 points; 21-8-9; 61-39)

3rd: Nîmes (66 points; 19-9-10; 58-44)

Relegated:

GFCO Ajaccio, Sète, Dijon and Libourne Saint-Seurin.

Most goals:

1. Toledo (Cannes) – 30 goals

2. Sartolou (Pau) – 27 goals

3. Abiven (Brest) – 22 goals

Most assists:

1. Moustaïd (Cannes) – 24 assists

2. El Kadouri (Cannes) – 12 assists

3. Benhamou (Pau) and Toledo (Cannes) – 11 assists

Most FF Man of the Match awards:

1. Toledo (Cannes) – 14

2. Abiven (Brest) and Garin (Louhans-Cuiseaux) – 9

Best average rating (marks out of 10 from the FF match reports):

1. Toledo (Cannes) – 8.44

2. Moustaïd (Cannes) – 8.13

3. Mutiu (Cannes) – 7.68

National Player of the Year:

1. Toledo (Cannes)

2. Pamé (Raon-l’Etape)

3. Moke (Nîmes)

National Team of the Season:

GK: Klein (Louhans-Cuiseaux)

DR: Wargnier (Wasquehal)

DC: Vargas (Cannes)

DC: Guthleber (Bourg-Péronnas)

DL: Torres Mestre (Cannes)

MR: Duarte-Benito (Dijon)

MC: Mohammed (Cannes)

MC: Garin (Louhans-Cuiseaux)

ML: El Kadouri (Cannes)

SC: Toledo (Cannes)

SC: Mutiu (Cannes)

Subs: Leglib (Pau), Assemoassa (Beauvais), Cami (Pau), Cohade (Nîmes), Pamé (Raon-l’Etape).

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 27th May 2004.

Two days left to the Final. It's become very difficult to think about anything else over the last few days, and the thoughts are mostly tinged with frustration, despite the knowledge that we having nothing whatsoever to lose in the forthcoming contest, and that I ought simply to enjoy the position we have placed ourselves in.

But no manager can be happy with having to field a weak side in his first cup final. Tournut, Vargas, El Kadouri, Mutiu and Toledo will be missing -the latter, and most sorely needed, through the suspension he earned himself with his uncharacteristic moment of madness against Nîmes. I try to remain upbeat about it, but I'm failing miserably so far, and I really can't see us causing too many problems for the PSG back four.

Even last night, as I half-watched the dour, ultra-defensive Champions' League Final between Juventus and Inter, I was trying out possible combinations and lining them up against the Parisians' probable starting eleven. That was quite depressing, so eventually I just gave up, sat back and rolled a fat one to alleviate the boredom of Juve's 1-0 victory. I was certainly glad I hadn't made the trip to Dortmund. Even Zambrotta's goal was shïte...

Tomorrow afternoon, after the morning training session at La Bocca, we're going up to Paris where we'll be staying the night, not too far from Saint-Denis so we can get to the stadium nice and early on Saturday. Hopefully the lads aren't as tense and irritable as I've felt the last few days, or the journey could turn into a nightmare, which we certainly don't need on the eve of our biggest game to date. Djibril Diawara mentioned the other day that he knew a powerful marabout who'd be happy to give us a hand in the preparation, and we joked about it at the time, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should have at least considered enlisting the support of unseen and other-worldly forces. I wonder what Oncle Bébert would make of that...

Press release (source: Agence France Presse, 29th May 2007).

Paris give the underdogs a lesson in realism

by Marc Hauser.

At the Stade de France tonight, Paris Saint-Germain did enough to secure their seventh French Cup, brushing off the challenge of National champions Cannes with some solid defending, as well as better composure in front of goal.

The game started brightly enough, with chances falling to both sides, and in the twenty-fifth minute a stunning goal broke the deadlock. Cubillier broke down the left and drew the defender before slipping it inside for the onrushing Boskovic, who hit a sweet first-time shot into the top left-hand corner from twenty-five yards.

After the goal the game changed radically, turning into a scrappy physical contest fought mostly across the middle of the park. Chances were few and far between, limited to hopeful long-distance efforts that troubled neither goalkeeper, and at half-time Boskovic's strike was all that separated the two sides.

The second half began in as fraught and frantic a manner as the first had started, and still the final ball eluded both teams in the final third of the pitch, until a superb weighted pass by Orteman sent Diomansy Kamara through to face Filimonov. The young striker calmly picked his spot from fifteen yards out, sending the ball hard and low into the lower right corner. With twenty-five minutes left to go, Cannes tried to rally in order to reduce the gap, but couldn't make their two or three half-chances count. Whilst Paris were happy to defend in numbers and preserve their lead, Cannes' heads seemed to go down in the end and there was a sense of inevitability about the final outcome.

Stade de France, Saturday 29th May 2004 (att. 42109).

Paris S-G 2 (Boskovic 24, Kamara 65)

AS Cannes 0

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entries dated 3rd and 4th June 2004.

Haven't read a paper since the game, and thankfully the whole thing is beginning to die down. Since we got back from Paris, and despite the warm welcome we were given by our fans, I've holed myself up in my flat, measuring time in Macallan Units again; one bottle of Macallan's equalling one such unit.

I clearly need a holiday, which technically I'm already on, til 19th June and the next meeting with the board. I got an e-mail from Oncle Bébert, suggesting I join him in Portugal and catch a few of the European Championships games, and I think I'll take him up on that. It's been a while since I last saw him, though now and again I get an e-mail or a phone call.

It’s weird, but in many ways the cup final was a real anticlimax, and it left me feeling inordinately dejected. After all, it had been a far better season than I had thought possible, and as Big Mike had pointed out on the way back, the club was now going places ahead of schedule. Perhaps I just need to get away from the club for a while, put some order into my life before I start thinking about the season ahead. Ring up a few old friends, pack a light bag, fill up the petrol tank and just get the hell out of here.

A fine plan, except I’m in no fit state to drive, or indeed write.

Better now. Six hours’ sleep, half an hour in the shower, then fried some eggs and washed them down with a couple of pints of orange juice. Weird how orange juice never tastes as good as on the morning after serious whisky consumption…

It’s ten-thirty now, so I ought to be in Montpellier before three if the motorway isn’t too packed, and that’s still leaving myself plenty of time for stops on the way. Off to see my friend Hugo and his wife and kids, spend a couple of days with them and then head down to Barcelona to visit Ben and Helga. I’m also really looking forward to the long drive across the north of Spain, through the Basque country and Galicia, which will take me eventually to Porto, where I’m meeting Oncle Bébert on the eleventh.

Holidays, here I come…

Press releases (source: Reuter's -European Championships results, Group Stage).

12th June 2004.

Germany 0

Bulgaria 2 (M.Petrov 14, 51)

13th June 2004.

Netherlands 1 (Seedorf 10)

England 1 (Owen 56)

Turkey 0

France 2 (Henry 51, Trezeguet 62)

Wales 2 (Earnshaw 10, Hartson 28)

Czech R. 3 (Koller 15, Nedved 36, Lokvenc 51

14th June 2004.

Italy 2 (Di Vaio 3, 90)

Sweden 0

Norway 2 (R.Johnsen 16, Berg Hestad 81)

Ukraine 0

15th June 2004.

Croatia 0

Greece 2 (Nikolaidis pen 69, 86)

Portugal 4 (Pauleta 19, 89; C.Ronaldo 85, Conceição 90)

Ireland 1 (Connolly 42)

16th June 2004.

Czech R. 1 (Koller 15)

Germany 1 (Ziege 38)

17th June 2004.

Bulgaria 1 (S.Todorov 63)

Wales 1 (Earnshaw pen 35)

18th June 2004.

France 1 (Wiltord 59)

Netherlands 0

England 0

Turkey 1 (Bastürk 2)

19th June 2004.

Sweden 1 (Grahn 52)

Norway 1 (Carew 7)

Ukraine 4 (Shyschenko 3, Zubov 11, Rebrov pen 90, 90+3)

Italy 2 (Di Vaio 15, 76)

20th June 2004.

Croatia 1 (Bilic 41)

Portugal 1 (N.Gomes 13)

Greece 2 (Nikolaidis 15, 75)

Ireland 2 (Walters 51, Dunne 84)

21st June 2004.

Czech R. 2 (Sverkos 18, Rosicky 47)

Bulgaria 0

Wales 0

Germany 3 (Neuville 4, Klose 70, 90)

22nd June 2004.

Italy 1 (Gattuso 82)

Norway 2 (Solli 30, Andresen 48)

Sweden 1 (Mjällby 90)

Ukraine 2 (Zubov 13, Nesmachnyi 49)

23rd June 2004.

Ireland 0

Croatia 1 (Prso 38)

Portugal 2 (Figo 27, Andrade 75)

Greece 2 (Nikolaidis 12, Tsiartas 31)

France 1 (Trezeguet 36)

England 0

Turkey 3 (Sükür 77, 79; Säs 84)

Netherlands 0

The Quarter-Finals will pair up as follows:

Germany vs. Norway (24th June)

Ukraine vs. Czech Republic (25th June)

Portugal vs. Turkey (26th June)

France vs. Greece (27th June)

Yep, it took longer than I thought it would. In any case, I wanted to at least finish the season as I'm leaving Tuesday (Christmas family commitments and all that) and won't be back til early January.

The odds on another 1-0 defeat? Well, don't want to give it away, but you'd expect them to be about as slim as those on Keith winning a game of bottle football icon_biggrin.gif

Marseille take on Auxerre at the Vélodrome in under an hour (3rd against 5th), Troussier's second game in charge. Thank god for internet radio...

• 1 month later...

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 23rd June 2004.

Back in Cannes after a short(ish) holiday in Portugal -a working holiday, as it turned out...

I'd been looking forward to an easy-going, hassle-free program; go to a few of the Euro games with Oncle Bébert, drive around a bit and see the sights, treat ourselves to a few good meals. That sort of thing. Instead I was dragged around by my dear uncle to meet -as he put it- 'useful people'. Agents from all over the place, many of them apparently eager for one or several of their protégés to join Cannes over the summer. I listened politely, but pointed out time and time again that I couldn't commit to anything right now. Still, some of what I heard was interesting enough to make a note of, and the figures bandied about seemed to reflect the general trend of falling market values for players. Several of the players I was offered could probably hold their own in Ligue 1, never mind Ligue 2, which left me wondering why they would want to come to Cannes at all. Aside from the beaches and the loose women, that is...

The annual pre-season board meeting was a very relaxed affair, which was just as well as it was also my first day back at the office. Our beloved chairman, Big Mike Salerno, exuded his usual rotund cheerfulness as he gave me a brief but enlightening synopsis of the club's financial situation. Thanks to our excellent run in the French Cup last season, as well as the 1.4 million pounds we've received for Ligue 2 television rights, there is around 1.8 million at my disposal to strengthen the squad, which ought to be amply sufficient. I was about to point out that apart from a goalkeeper, I had all the players I needed to field a competitive side, when Big Mike stunned me by announcing that the club's aim for this season was to achieve promotion to the Ligue 1. Smiling at my obvious discomfiture, he added (perversely, I thought) that he had full confidence in my ability to achieve this goal. The smile faded somewhat when I burst out laughing, but ten minutes later he had convinced me that it was no joke, and that maybe -just maybe- it wasn't such a far-fetched objective after all. Besides, he'd saved the best for last; the club is building a brand-new, state-of-the-art (well, almost) training complex, which should be ready for use before the new season kicks off.

I left the meeting in a bit of a daze, wondering whether somehow Oncle Bébert had known about the board's ambitions long before they had seen fit to share them with me. I headed straight for home, and started going over the video tapes I'd been handed left right and centre whilst in Portugal. For someone who hated telephones in their every guise, I was certainly going to have to use it a hell of a lot over the next few weeks.

Press releases (source: Reuter's -European Championships results, Quarter Finals).

24th June 2004.

Germany 0

Norway 0

(Norway win on penalties, 5-4).

25th June 2004.

Ukraine 4 (Shevchenko 14, 16, 44, 64)

Czech Republic 2 (Koller 32, 45).

26th June 2004.

Portugal 1 (Figo 90)

Turkey 0.

27th June 2004.

Greece 1 (Nikolaidis 90)

France 3 (Saha 3, Vieira 28, Pires 83).

The Semi-Finals will pair up as follows:

Norway vs. France (30th June)

Ukraine vs. Portugal (1st July).

Team news (source: football365.fr -Ligue 2 updates section).

21st June 2004.

AS Cannes have announced the signing of three new staff members: François Ciccolini (Fra, 57 years old, former coach and manager at GFCO Ajaccio and SC Bastia) joins the club as coach, whilst Grant Towell (Eng/Sco, 23) and David Jarrett (Eng/Can, 22) have both joined as scouts.

Two players from the Youth Academy were promoted to the under-18 side: central defender Christophe Leca (Fra, 14, Schoolboy international), and right or central midfielder Jérémy Le Breton (Fra, 16).

23rd June 2004.

Cannes goalkeeper Aleksandr Filimonov joins Reims (National) for £100.000.

25th June 2004.

Cannes midfielder Michel Gafour was signed by Gueugnon (L2) for £100.000.

Defender Torres Mestre heads for Nancy (National) on a free transfer.

26th June 2004.

Cannes' Nigerian midfielder Garba Lawal joins Sedan for £22.000.

27th June 2004.

After the emergence of an insistent rumour concerning a £2.8 M offer tabled by Saint-Etienne for Cannes' Toledo, manager David Le Spliff issued a statement to the effect that the Brazilian player was not for sale.

28th June 2004.

Cannes have signed young striker Tim Janssen (Ned, 18) for £100.000.

Julien Tournut, a central defender who spent much of last season on loan at the club, signed a permanent deal for AS Cannes. Nancy received a sum of around £100.000.

Veteran defender Laurent Charvet leaves the club, joining Istres for £24.000.

When queried about the transfer rumours concerning him, Toledo stated that he had no intention of leaving La Bocca this season.

29th June 2004.

Cannes have signed young striker Yohan Delplas (Fra, 17) from Montpellier for £150.000.

Press releases (source: Reuter's -European Championships results, Semi-Finals and Final).

30th June 2004 (Semi-Final).

Norway 1 (Gamst Pedersen 54)

France 2 a.e.t. (Kapo 36, Saha 106).

1st July 2004 (Semi-Final).

Ukraine 1 (Shevchenko 44)

Portugal 0.

4th July 2004 (Final).

France 0

Ukraine 2 (Shevchenko 65, Vaschuk 80).

Top goalscorers:

1. Shevchenko (Ukr) 6

Nikolaidis (Gre) 6

3. Di Vaio (Ita) 4

Koller (Cze) 4

UEFA Player of the Tournament:

1. Shevchenko (Ukr)

2. Di Vaio (Ita)

3. Klose (Ger)

CHAPTER TWO: ROCKING THE BOAT.

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 4th July 2004.

Writing this from the 'Isle of Beauty', Corsica , on the eve of our first pre-season friendly against AC Ajaccio. Came back to the hotel early this afternoon, leaving Gabriel (Desmenez) to carry out the rest of the session with the coaches. François (Ciccolini) has been developing a good rapport with the players, and in particular the younger lads. Not surprising, as he's a great motivator and a shrewd assessor of skills and form. He was out of a job after Bastia let him go, and it was Christian (Lopez) who suggested we should contact him.

Our two new scouts are a different story altogether; I bumped into the two lads in my local and we struck up a conversation when they noticed I was drinking Guinness (which I'd persuaded the owner to stock up on, in exchange for free tickets to games -a win/win situation for me, with attendances so mediocre last season). It turned out they had both played at youth level for Premiership sides, but had never made it to professional status. It may have been the drink, but I had an idea as we talked; I was keen on having a scout -or two- in the British Isles on a permanent basis, someone to keep an eye out for possible bargains and young talent. Many of the big -and not so big- clubs had large squads over there, and I felt sure there must be many quality players who just weren't being given a chance.

When I began to explain, the lads visibly keen on the idea. I made it clear that they wouldn't be paid much more than pocket money on top of the travel expenses, but it didn't deter from their enthusiasm, and so before leaving I told them to show up at the club the next morning. By then I'd straightened it out with Big Mike, who was all for the idea even if he did say he though they were a bit young. To me this didn't matter much -they were cheap, and they knew the British game from the inside.

Five players have left the club so far, including two first-team regulars (A. Filimonov and V. Torres Mestre), and though as yet we've only brought two in -both of them young strikers who should provide quality back up for the forward line- we're currently exploring several options which could significantly improve the overall quality of the squad.

It will be good for the players to rub shoulders with a Ligue 1 team -albeit a minor one, admittedly- for ninety minutes. Though I'm well aware of how little the results of these games actually mean, a good performance here could help carry over the confidence from last season -and confidence is something that we're going to need a lot of, if we're going to mount any sort of challenge for the promotion spots. Still, the mood in the camp is excellent, and there hasn't been a single injury since the squad took up training again. Long may it last. Anyway, off for a quick shower and a smoke before the others get back...

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 10th July 2004.

Overall it's been a very satisfactory pre-season so far, and the only source of frustration is the fact that Shereni and Mohammed are out with injuries contracted during training. They'll both be out for a few weeks, but there's a chance they may yet return to fitness before our first game in Ligue 2.

The first friendly was against AC Ajaccio, who were the hosts at the Stade François Coty, and it was gratifying to see that over four thousand people had turned up for the game. Ajaccio finished a very decent twelfth in last season's Ligue 1, and I was expecting a strong test of our resolve. As it turned out, however, the Corsicans were woefully unfit, and we came away with an easy 4-0 win. By half-time we'd banged three in, including two blistering headers from our resident Goliath, Djibril Diawara. Toledo and Mutiu scored the two other goals, which came from flowing passing moves.

It was later that same week that Harley (Harlington Shereni) and Sumo (Suleiman Mohammed) injured themselves, on the same day we finalised the signing of Mehdi Meniri on a free transfer. Mehdi is a solid defender who can play in the centre or on the right, and at twenty-seven he is still in his prime. He's proved a useful player in the past for teams such as Nancy, Troyes and -most recently- Ligue 1 outfit Metz. His experience and knowledge of Ligue 2 football should come in very handy, though I think he's more likely to feature as cover than as an outright starter.

A couple of days later we solved what I felt was the squad's main problem, signing Rennes' young and promising goalkeeper, Florent Chaigneau. The twenty-year-old had been high on the list of my priorities, warmly recommended by chief scout Jean Varraud, and eventually Rennes agreed to let him go for one point one million pounds (five hundred thousand of which will be paid over the next twelve months). The lad's a very athletic 'keeper, strong in the air and sharp on his feet.

On a personal note, it's been good to spend some 'downtime' with the players. Our stay in Corsica was a very pleasant one, and a good opportunity for the squad to grow closer as individuals -some of the wives and kids had come over with us, and it made for a very relaxed and informal atmosphere which put everyone in a good mood.

Thanks PM7. I still enjoy writing this, but it took me five pages to get to the start of the second season, and I'm a little concerned about that. Then again, it's not like I have a deadline or anything (other than impending lung cancer)...

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 14th July 2004.

In our second friendly game we played host to mighty AS Monaco, who finished second in Ligue 1 last season, behind surprise champions Montpellier but ahead of Nantes, Paris Saint-Germain and favourites Lyon. This was also our first game at La Bocca, which is why it was so disappointing that less than a thousand people turned up. Those who did make it, however, were treated to a good display of open, attacking football, and I was particularly pleased with our passing and movement, which overwhelmed an admittedly youthful Monaco side. The 2-1 scoreline might have weighed far more heavily in our favour, but goalkeeper Flavio Roma -one of only four first-team players on the pitch for the Principautaires- produced an excellent string of saves to restrict us to two goals. I was also impressed by the way the team kept its cohesion, even after the eleven starting players had been substituted.

Big Mike had a stroke of genius and decided to organise a friendly tournament, which will take place over three days at La Bocca. The teams he invited -and somehow convinced to take part- are Wasquehal, Le Havre and...the club I have supported since childhood, our mighty south-eastern neighbours Olympique de Marseille! I just can't wait for the day to arrive...

The tournament has been christened the Trophée Charly Loubet, in honour of the long-serving assistant, who is now the manager of Wasquehal after being offered the job last season. I've kept in touch with Charly since he left us, and although he hasn't had an easy time of it so far, he's lost none of his enthusiasm for the game. This will be the club's way of thanking him for decades of loyal service, and it's bound to be a happy, relaxed occasion for all involved. At least, until we're sitting in the dugout and the whitle goes...

On the evening after the win over Monaco, I walked past the bookie's and suddenly had an idea. I walked in, and asked what the odds were on Cannes ending up as Ligue 2 champions. Ten to one, I was told, with Le Havre favourites at seven to four. I went back out onto the street, headed for the nearest cash machine and took out two hundred Euros. I then walked back into the bookie's, placed the bet and wondered whether what I was doing was somehow wrong. In the end I decided that as long as I was betting on us, there could be no 'conflict of interests', and that I was as entitled to place my bet as any other punter. I hope I was right, but it's done so there's not much point worrying about it any further...

Unless the story making the game boring is erm, making the game boring, (ie cos I find sometimes the game doesnt move fast enough if I do too much depth, but then I have other games and thats actually why) it really doesnt matter if you take 5 pages or 100 pages per season if its quality and this is.

Cheers. I might try running two stories at the same time, but I very much doubt I could manage more than that...

Transcript of an intercepted cellular phone communication (source: unknown). Recorded at 21:37 on 15th July 2004.

Notes: Identifying source codes occulted by scrambling device (type unknown). Forensics testing was negative.

*click*

- "Yes?"

- "Are you alone?"

- "Yes...Yes sir, I am."

- "Good. Now listen carefully. Unless the girl is found within the next week, our people will pursue the matter themselves."

- "Bu..."

- "Silence! The next few weeks will be crucial, and nothing can be allowed to jeopardise the operation. Have I made myself clear?"

- "Yes, sir. Very clear."

- "Your last report was highly unsatisfactory. I would urge you to think very carefully about your situation, and to take the appropriate measures. Our friends grow increasingly impatient with your excuses, and your usefulness is on the wane."

- "Sir, I..."

- "I don't want to hear it. One week -that's all you and your idiot brother have got. You will hear from me. Soon."

*click*

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 18th July 2004.

It was around six in the evening and I was at home, making some notes for tomorrow's game against Marseille, which would kick off the Trophée Charly Loubet at La Bocca. There was a knock at the door. I hadn't been expecting anyone, and I assumed it must be the landlord or one of my neighbours since no-one had buzzed for the main door.

I put away the smoking paraphernalia and walked over to the door. No sooner had I opened it that I was pushed back into the flat, my right arm in a tight grip behind my back, and a gloved hand covering my mouth. The door slammed shut.

- "Are you alone?" I was asked. My assailant was definitely French, probably from the south-east, and he was a good six inches taller than me. Not to mention considerably stronger.

I nodded slowly, and the grip on my arm was relaxed a little.

- "Make a sound and I'll break it." I was guided towards the sofa, then pushed onto it roughly. I turned round, slowly, and got my first proper look at the man. He was about six-four, and wide at the shoulders. Crew-cut dark hair, brown eyes set in a tanned, youngish face. Faded jeans, a black t-shirt and a pair of runners. He seemed to be more or less my age, and he was pointing an automatic of some sort in the general direction of my face.

- "Don't move" he ordered, and walked into my bedroom. I heard some crashing around for about ten seconds, the door to the bathroom open and shut, and then he was once again standing in front of me. He put the weapon in his waistband, and raised a placating hand.

- "Look, I'm sorry about the cowboy entrance, but I had to make sure."

- "Who the hell are you?" I managed, still a little shaky from the sudden and sustained rush of adrenaline.

- "Laurent Giacomelli. I'm with the OCU."

- "OCU?!"

- "Organized Crime Unit. Listen, I don't have time to explain, as I can't take the chance of staying here more than a few minutes. Our unit is investigating the activities of capitaine Bertuzzi. We have reason to believe that he is on the payroll of several criminal organisations, and we need your help."

- "My help? What is it you want?"

- "He"ll be at the game tomorrow, won't he?"

- "Well...probably, yes...I don't think he missed one all season..."

- "Good. I need you to introduce me to him as a relative of yours."

- "A relative? Why a relative?" He shook his head, a wry, tired grin appearing gradually.

- "A relative. Just like your uncle Albert."

- "What does my uncle have to do with any of this?"

- "I told you. I don't have time to explain. You will introduce me to Bertuzzi as your cousin Maurice, and I will take it from there. You can arrange for us to have a drink with him after the game, can't you?"

- "I suppose so..."

- "Good. Don't worry about it, everything will run along just fine. I'll come up to you after the game, and you'll greet me as though I were a long-lost friend. By that stage, of course, you will already have arranged to meet Bertuzzi later, and bringing me along will be the most natural thing in the world. Got it?"

- "I think so." He moved towards the door. "When will I get some explanations?" I asked.

- "Soon. But there's still a lot that we can only guess at, and guesswork is frowned upon by magistrates these days...Listen, sorry about the arm -and the gun- but I'm not in a position to take any chances." I waved off the apology. "Better be off, I've stayed here too long already. Oh, and by the way, nice smell..." And with that he went out the door and shut it behind him.

Since then I've been struggling to put my thoughts in order. So Bertuzzi was being hounded by the Organized Crime Unit -I wasn't too surprised to hear he was corrupt, to be honest. Much more worrying to me was the side reference Giacomelli had made about Oncle Bébert. There was obviously a hell of a lot going on way over my head, and some of it had already directly affected one of my players. It made me wonder how much Bébert really knew about this. Or Big Mike, for that matter...

I think it's fairly safe to say that I've got a long, sleepless night ahead of me. Just what I need on the eve of the game against Marseille...

Dave, I've just spent the last couple of days catching up with this story and I just wanted to say that it is extremely well written and certainly maintains one's attention.

Now that I am up to date, I'll be happily able to read each new installment of this excellent story as it appears. Top stuff. icon14.gif

Kind of you to say so, Spav. I expect I'll be keeping this one crawling along for a while yet... icon_smile.gif

Game reports (source: 'Bocca Vera!' fanzine, special edition, Trophée Charly Loubet).

19th July 2004, La Bocca (att. 5924). Day One.

AS Cannes 2

Olympique de Marseille 0

Goals: Janssen (1-0, 28), Zoko (2-0, 71).

Shots: AS Cannes 16(8), Marseille 0(0).

Once again in this pre-season campaign, Cannes looked much sharper than their Ligue 1 opponents. Marseille finished eighth in last season's Ligue 1, but they were humiliated by what looked like a much weaker team on paper. They were unable to create a single chance on goal, and Marseille manager Gérard Prêcheur was at a loss to explain his team's listlessness in the opening game of the tournament.

Cannes' goals included young Dutch striker Tim Jannsen's first for the club, a clinical strike from a narrow angle after Moustaïd had played him through with a delightful chip from the halfway line. The second was a splendid free-kick from Zoko, blasted past Runje's despairing lunge from twenty yards out, straight into the top right-hand corner.

As the final whistle was blown, an unusually large crowd watched on in obvious amusement as manager Le Spliff leapt out of his dugout, no doubt in his keenness to shake the hands of Marseille staff and players. Having supported Marseille since he was a child, this was his first opportunity to face them on the field of play, and he played down the result by commenting on the differences in physical preparation between the two sides:

"Most of the Marseille players have only just returned to training, whereas we started our preparation early this year. Having said that, the lads put on a great display this afternoon, and I was very pleased with what I saw out there. New players are fitting in very smoothly, and the team is functioning well as a unit already, whichever players are picked. This is a very encouraging sign of things to come, I think, and I can only hope that we are able to start off the Ligue 2 campaign with the same kind of appetite."

In today's other game, Le Havre beat Wasquehal 3-0 with an early brace by Fauconnier and a late goal by Ducrocq.

20th July 2004, La Bocca (att. 788). Day Two.

AS Cannes 1

Wasquehal 1

Goals: Aït-Ouarab (0-1, 53), Zoko (1-1, 72).

Shots: AS Cannes 15(6), Wasquehal 1(1).

An emotional occasion for Charly Loubet, Wasquehal manager and assistant at Cannes for many years before that.

His team held on for a draw, opening the score in the fifty-third minute with their only chance of the game, a poor clearance falling to Aït-Ouarab's feet, which he powered into the top right-hand corner of Chaigneau's goal from twenty yards. Twenty minutes later Cannes finally scored, a good low cross by Viltard from the left of the box finding Zoko, whose diving header from the penalty spot found the net.

But for all their pressure, this young Cannes side -with first-team players rested in between the first and third games- failed to grab more than the one goal, and towards the end of the game Siramana Dembelé suffered a calf strain which will force him out for at least three weeks.

The other game saw Marseille draw with Le Havre 2-2, with goals by Chapuis and Amdy Faye for Marseille, and Fauconnier and Bertin for Le Havre. Cannes and Le Havre both have four points from two games, Marseille have two points and Wasquehal one.

21st July 2004, La Bocca (att. 891). Day three.

AS Cannes 4

Le Havre 0

Goals: Moustaïd (1-0, pen 12; 4-0, pen 58), Inkango (2-0, 35), Diawara (3-0, 45+1).

Shots: AS Cannes 16(5), Le Havre 0(0).

A fine demonstration of passing, attacking football which saw Cannes reign supreme down the flanks and in the middle of the park, whilst the back four left not a single scrap for the opposition to feed upon. This was effectively the deciding game of the tournament, and fittingly the local team ran out clear winners of both.

In the other game, Marseille beat Wasquehal 4-0 to claim second place overall. The goals came from Mido (2), Chapuis and Sytchev.

The final standings are as follows:

1. AS Cannes 7 pts (2 wins, 1 draw)

2. Ol. Marseille 4 pts (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat)

3. Le Havre AC 4 pts (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat)

4. Wasquehal 1 pt (1 draw, 2 defeats)

Thanks lads, glad you still enjoy this.

Team news and game reports (source: football365.fr, Ligue 2 pre-season updates).

22nd July 2004.

Nicolas Frey, Antoine Maisetti and Claude Panariello are all released on free transfer.

24th July 2004.

Guillaume Plessis (Fra, 19) joins AS Cannes on loan for the rest of the season. The defensive midfielder joins from Sochaux and will most likely provide cover for Suleiman Mohammed.

A member of the Toulouse board admitted that the Ligue 1 club had made an inquiry concerning the possible transfer of Suleiman Mohammed. AS Cannes chairman Michel Salerno stated to the press that the player was not for sale.

Cannes announced the signing of Milan Rapaic (Cro, 31) on a free transfer. The former international can play on the left wing or in behind the front men, and was brought in to make up for the departures of Badr El Kadouri, who returned to Dinamo Kiev at the end of his loan deal, and Garba Lawal.

30th July 2004.

Twenty-one-year-old Belarus international Maxim Tsigalko (21, striker) signed for AS Cannes after Dinamo Minsk accepted their £500.000 offer.

Cannes goalkeeper Florent Chaigneau was called up to the French squad participating in the Olympic Games.

31st July 2004.

AS Cannes signed left winger Steeve Théophile (Fra, 23) from Sedan for an initial £400.000. It is thought a further £400.000 will be paid to the northern club over the next twelve months.

31st July 2004, La Bocca (att. 772).

AS Cannes 4, AS Saint-Etienne 2.

39. Théophile crooses from the left byline to the near post, where Tsigalko controls it before chipping it on to Moustaïd, unmarked at the far post. Moustaïd sidefoots the volley into the net from close range. 1-0.

46. Tsigalko runs down the left and sends in a low, powerful cross to the near post. Toledo slips his marker and dives onto it. The keeper parries the header but the ball falls back to Toledo, who gratefully puts it away at the second attempt. 2-0.

54. Vargas brings down Dogbé in the box. Orinel blasts the penalty into the top right-hand corner. 2-1.

58. Dogbé nods it down to Perrot, unmarked at the edge of the box. Superb volley into the roof of the net. 2-2.

86. Looping free-kick from the left touchline by Plessis. Djibril Diawara rises highest at the far post and heads it past the stranded keeper. 3-2.

90(+2). Corner from the right, sent in by Plessis. Toledo scores a cracking header from near the penalty spot. 4-2.

Very good performance by Cannes, whose fluid passing moves switched play from side to side, with all their attacking players displaying great movement and awareness. Toledo had an excellent game, and the recently-arrived Maxim Tsigalko showed some real menace up front on his non-competitive début. The only cloud on the horizon for the Mediterraneans was the fact that Saint-Etienne scored from both their chances, even though one of these was a penalty.

During the course of the game, young Tim Janssen bruised his right thigh and will be out of action for a few days.

2nd August 2004.

Federico Magallanes is said to have made comments to the press, to the effect that he is unhappy with the increased competition for places at Cannes. The club declined to comment on the matter.

4th August 2004.

AS Cannes' holding midfielder, Suleiman Mohammed, was called up to the Nigerian squad which is to participate in the Olympic Games.

8th August 2004.

Federico Magallanes leaves AS Cannes. He signed for AC Ajaccio (L1) for £1.000.000, which is the club's biggest sale since Le Spliff was brought in as manager.

Cannes have announced the signing of young left-back Denis Stinat (Fra, 21) from Gap (CFA) for £50.000. Stinat will provide cover for Mohellebi, compensating for the departure of Victor Torres Mestre earlier this summer.

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 7th August 2004.

It's the eve of our first league game of the season, and not surprisingly I'm finding it impossible to sleep. Even though everything is settled -the team sheet, the tactical organisation, the individual instructions, the video analysis of Bastia's pre-season outings- my mind returns to permutations and adjustments as soon as it has an idle moment. I tried reading for a while, but I was still too passive and couldn't focus properly, so here I am writing this instead.

I think it's good for us to start with a tough home game. The team has performed very well in the friendlies, even when we faced stronger opposition, and we ought to be capable of overcoming the Corsicans, who were relegated from Ligue 1 at the end of last season and will be looking to go straight back up. It's important that we avoid giving them any room in which to maneuver, and that we impose ourselves upon them in midfield from the very start of the game.

In any case, the result will probably set the tone for the weeks to come, and it will be crucial to get off to a good start in the first six or eight games if we are to challenge for honours, even though in these initial stages I'll be looking for solid performances more than actual points on the scoreboard, and if we can get both then all the better.

I haven't seen, or heard of Giacomelli since the friendly tournament. I don't even know whether he's still in Cannes or not, though I should get a chance to find out at the game tomorrow. At this point, he's the only person -aside from Oncle Bébert, but it's pretty obvious that he isn't currently disposed to put me in the picture- likely and willing to shed some light on some of the weird goings-on that I've witnessed since I was offered this job. Besides, there's something about Giacomelli's behaviour last time around that makes me think he'll need my help again -nothing specific, really, more of a hunch.

Federico [Magallanes] will almost certainly be leaving us; Ajaccio have offered us a million pounds, which frankly is more than I think he's worth, and Big Mike agreed we should accept. I heard from Federico's agent this evening, and it seems they've agreed a pay deal with the Ajaccio representatives. With that million I ought to be able to bring in another decent striker, which would mean being able to play Toledo in his true position as a winger, and bring Moustaïd infield as the point of the midfield diamond in a variation of 4-4-2. There are a few players I already have in mind, but it remains to be seen whether their respective clubs will deem our offers sufficient, and whether the players themselves would be interested in joining us. In a couple of cases, I know they are, because I met their agents with Oncle Bébert in Portugal this summer. It seems perhaps this wasn't as much of a waste of time as I thought it was back then....

Game reports and team news (source: 'Bocca Vera!' fanzine, first three weeks of August 2004).

8th August 2004, La Bocca (att. 8767). Ligue 2.

AS Cannes 3

SC Bastia 2

Goals: Guy (0-1, 14; 2-2, 76), Mendy (og 1-1, 36), Inkango (2-1, 60; 3-2, 90+3).

Shots: AS Cannes 19(12), SC Bastia 5(3).

Three players were making their official débuts for Cannes: Milan Rapaic tucked in behind the front two, Steeve Théophile on the left wing and young Tim Janssen up front.

In the end it proved a deserved victory, albeit one that was snatched right at the death. Bastia took their chances well and soaked up the intense pressure, with goalkeeper Penneteau very alert on his line, but Cannes were determined to obtain all three points in their first league game of the season.

Bruce Inkango was the day's hero, coming on for the injured Tsigalko at half-time and scoring two crucial goals. The game was an open and attractive one, and Cannes obviously intend to stick to the passing, movement-based style that worked so well for them last season, and with which the new recruits already seem comfortable.

13th August 2004.

Délis Ahou strained a groin muscle during training and will be out for two weeks.

14th August 2004, Stade Léon Bollée (att. 14049). Ligue 2.

Le Mans UC 1

AS Cannes 1

Goals: Tsigalko (0-1, 65), Peyrelade (1-1, 85).

Shots: Le Mans UC 6(4), AS Cannes 10(4).

A very even game, with Cannes perhaps slightly the more adventurous side. Théophile was particularly dangerous down his left wing, whilst Moustaïd and Tsigalko were constant threats down the middle. This was the second game in a row in which the Mediterraneans faced a team relegated from Ligue 1, and once again they gave a good account of themselves.

21st August 2004, La Bocca (att. 5524). Ligue 2.

AS Cannes 4

FC Rouen 1

Goals: Saci (0-1, 5), Toledo (1-1, 26; 4-1, 83), Janssen (2-1, 56; 3-1, 75).

Shots: AS Cannes 27(17), FC Rouen 2(1).

Despite Rouen's early goal on a counter-attack, Cannes were totally in control of this game and gave their opponents a lesson in swift, accurate passing and incisive wingplay. Toledo was playing his first full game, and he ruled his right wing with an ease which will have delighted his manager. Young Dutchman Tim Janssen got his first official goals for the club, and left the La Bocca faithful with the promise of many more. At the back Shereni, Diawara and Mohellebi were imperious, and Padovani had little to do -other than to pick the ball out of the net after only five minutes...

And so after their first three games in Ligue 2, Cannes lie third with seven points. Angers and Niort are both on nine with three wins out of three.

Solid start for the 'rouges-et-blancs' despite the potential trapfalls of their early league schedule. Confidence is high at La Bocca, and the new players seem to be fitting in very well. It was hinted during the post-match press conference that another player or two might be brought in to strengthen the squad, and a persistent rumour has it that another Slavic striker is on the cards. With the end of the transfer window fast approaching, it should soon be obvious whether there is any truth in this.

• 2 weeks later...

[homer] mmmmm....guinness...... [/homer]

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 26th August 2004.

At last some respite from the heat of the day. In the late evenings a slight breeze comes in from the sea, spreading its merciful cooling balm along the lethargic streets and squares of the city. I met Etienne after the late afternoon training session, and we went to our favourite seafront café for a pastis.

Georges, the taciturn owner of the 'Marie-Galante', gave us the usual curt nod as he set out two small glasses and a pitcher of ice-cold water. He filled half of each glass with Ricard, set the bottle down on the counter and nodded again before returning to his crossword. We sat out on the terrace, willing that breeze to lift a little sooner this day, but to little avail. Thankful for the shade provided by the parasol, we discussed the freshest scandals in town and Etienne was in fine form, giving me the low-down on what the Petit Rapporteur had been able to unearth in the last few weeks. Political corruption, internal feuds dividing the ranks of one of the most powerful families in the region, the Albini. And then something that suddenly made me feel the cold I had so craved a minute earlier.

"Did you hear about the body they found yesterday?" he asked me after a meditative pause in our conversation -well, in his monologue anyway.

"No. What about it?"

"It was a gendarme. A local one." I instantly became alert, adrenaline flushing out the torpor which the pastis had been inducing. Etienne was watching me closely. When I said nothing, he added: "Stéphane Bertuzzi, sous-lieutenant and brother of the captain in command of the Saint-Paul gendarmerie." After another pause: "You've met him, haven't you?"

"I have, yes. When one of our players was assaulted. You remember that."

"I do. Strange business. And nothing ever came out of that, did it?"

"No. They found nothing." Not strictly true, of course. Someone

had found something out, else why the sudden appearance of Giacomelli, and now the sudden disappearance of the younger of the Bertuzzi brothers? I needed to think, and badly...

I didn't want to alarm Etienne, so I stayed on for another while and eventually the alcohol generated serious hunger. We ambled over to Marco's, and after some excellent pasta we wrapped up the evening with a couple of smokes at my place, then Etienne left and I began to wonder how long it would be before Giacomelli or the remaining Bertuzzi brother contacted me again.

The phone did ring, about half an hour ago, but that was Big Mike with the day's best piece of news. We'd been negotiating with Litex Lovech, a Bulgarian club, to acquire their under-21 international striker, Anatoli Todorov. He is one of the players whose agent approached me in Portugal when I was with Uncle Bébert, and Jean Varraud who went over to assess him says we're on to a real gem here. Lovech had held out for the past week or so, but Big Mike says we've finally had an offer accepted, and that he's in talks with the player and his agent as I'm writing this. This will be the last major addition to our squad, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the lad is really worth. And at least the day ended on a positive note...

Transcript of recording from surveillance equipment (source: Organised Crime Unit, Criminal Investigations Unit, DAT audio file no. KH/1584-4, recording dated 27th August 2004, 21:55 local time).

Attached note reads: "No visuals available. Unidentified voices numbered, with accompanying inferences where appropriate. Conversation recorded at the 'Le Belphégore' restaurant in Cannes". (signed: Detective Inspector Bruno Galdéani, OCU)

(...)

Voice One*: So good to see you again, hermáno. You look well.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Thank you. It's good to see you too, cabrón!

(laughter)

Voice One: How was the trip?

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Excellent. Everything went as it was supposed to. You heard the announcement, earlier today?

Voice One: I did. So there are three now. Do you really think this is going to work, hermáno?

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Do you really still doubt it, my friend? You've seen what could be achieved with just the one. It will require a little patience, to be sure, but so far the venture has been an unqualified success.

Voice One: Please do not misunderstand me. I ask only because I do not trust a single one of those médicos. But I trust you, hermáno, and I trust your judgement of other men. It is settled then.

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Good. And don't worry; I trust them no more than you do, but we have left them in no doubt as to their duty to fulfil their obligations, and they are after all men of truth, if nothing else...

Voice One: Men of truth...I like that...A toast to the eternal and irrepressible curiosity of Man, then. Salúd!

Albert 'Bébert' Labourdette: Salúd!

(clinking of glasses)

*Unidentified male, possibly Bolivian or Peruvian according to our translators. This is the same individual as the one labelled as 'Voice One' in DAT audio files KB/5294-13 and KF/3261-7.

Team news and game reports (source: football365.fr, Ligue 2 updates).

27th August 2004.

AS Cannes announced the signing of Bulgarian under-21 international Anatoli Todorov (Bul, 19), for an initial fee of around £1.300.000, from Bulgarian club Litex Lovech. Depending on appearances, the fee could rise to £1.500.000.

Cannes' Chilean central defender Jorge Vargas signed for Ligue 2 rivals Créteil for £300.000

28th August 2004, Stade Dominique Duvauchelle, (att. 8732).

US Créteil 1, AS Cannes 7.

4. Plessis' shot from 25 yards is deflected by Rangdet past his own keeper. 0-1.

10. A corner sent in from the left by Plessis is met by Tsigalko's header at the near post, leaving goalkeeper Porato stranded on his line. 0-2.

16. Superb passing move, which sees Moustaïd play Toledo into the box from the right flank. Perfect cut-back from the byline for Todorov, who volleys home from eight yards to score on his début. 0-3.

51. After a free-kick sails over everyone, Diawara crosses back in from the right. Porato punches the ball away but it bounces right back off Théophile and into the empty net for a freakish goal. 0-4.

67. Moustaïd wins the ball back and runs 50 yards into the opposing penalty area before shooting from twelve yards. Porato makes a great save, but the ball bounces back off the post and Todorov is on hand to sidefoot home his second of the game. 0-5.

72. Nicaise plays a great through-ball for Becanovic, who runs into the box from the left and adjusts Padovani with a fine finish into the bottom left-hand corner. 1-5.

81. Diawara chips the ball into the box from the right wing towards Moustaïd, who beats the onrushing keeper from a tight angle. 1-6.

87. Long throw-in by Diawara, into the penalty area from the right touchline. Moustaïd has time to chest it down, beat his marker and send a low driven ball across the goal. Tsigalko throws himself at the far post and gets the decisive touch. 1-7.

A very one-sided game, from beginning to end. Créteil just couldn't cope with Cannes' forwards, and it was an excellent début for Todorov, who scored two and looked threatening throughout. Moustaïd, Plessis and Shereni also put in excellent performances.

With this impressive win, Cannes are making a clear statement concerning their ambitions, despite manager Le Spliff's predictable attempt to play down the significance of the result in his post-match conference with the local press.

Cannes still lay third after the game, tucked in just behind Angers and Niort, and having scored an impressive 15 goals in their 4 league games.

30th August 2004.

AS Cannes signed versatile young Greek defender Panagiotis Lagos (Gre, 19) on a free transfer. The player was unattached, and is currently involved in the Olympic Games with Greece's squad. He joins goalkeeper Chaigneau and midfielder Mohammed as the third Cannes player involved in the competition in Athens.

31st August 2004.

Jean-Yves Chay (Fra, 56) was signed as general outfield coach by Cannes. Chay was unemployed.

AS Cannes have appointed Stéphane Pingeon (Fra, 52) as their new assistant manager. Pingeon was unemployed. His appointment also sees current assistant manager Gabriel Desmenez sign a new contract as coach.

[End of the transfer window]

Nice little 'chise you got going on here. Easily the best one I've read, and the only one I've enjoyed. Granted, I've only read 3 (this, Ragusa to riches, and that Celtic one), and I've only been here a little while... but still, it's great stuff. Here's hoping the next year won't take... well, a year to finish.

Thanks Tyrone, I hope so too and I think that barring a spate of injuries to important players, the squad should be good enough to achieve the board's 'controversial' expectation of a promotion spot.

Cheers Icon, glad you enjoyed the read. There are some good stories out there, but at the moment the 'one-post boasters' (usually ending with things like 'let me no wot u think' and other text-speak inanities) seem to be drowning them out... icon_frown.gif

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 1st September 2004.

Just out of my weekly meeting with Big Mike and the other board members, and if the mood is high on the training ground, it is positively jubilant amongst the executives. The transformation of the club's internal structure is proceeding apace, most notably in the financial and administrative areas where several new posts have been created. This is not only a result of the rise in the club's status, but a step taken to accelerate the process of Ligue 1 readiness and make the future transition as smooth as possible.

I've never been one to figure out men in suits -or women, for that matter. But I just wonder whether Big Mike and his acolytes aren't indulging in an excess of confidence, which might unbalance the club should we fail to make things happen on the pitch this year. Obviously the squad is full of quality, but half the first team players are twenty years old or younger, and the Ligue 2 campaign is a contest in which physical endurance and experience of professional football are crucial to success.

Still, given the way we tore Créteil to pieces in our last game, I'd say very few teams are going to find it easy to take points off us. None of the new players seem to have any trouble settling, and the reshuffle in coaching staff allows for more coherent training shedules; Gabriel [Desmenez] now focuses on his role as the first team head coach, whilst Stéphane [Pingeon] runs the under-18 squad and oversees youth development.

In the little time I've spent with him, Stéphane seems a very serious and down-to-earth individual. He spent a season as assistant manager at Lorient, but resigned because his wife and children were unhappy in Brittany, and moved back to his native region of the Var. It was Gabriel who suggested we approach him, as he himself was keen to delegate part of his duties to someone who knew how to handle teenagers. Frankly, I can't say I blame him, and I hope that in Stéphane we have found someone who can get the best out of our youngsters.

Last Saturday, the same day we atomised Créteil, the French team won the gold medal in the Olympic Games in Athens, beating Italy 3-2 in a thrilling final. Unfortunately, our goalkeeper Florent Chaigneau didn't play in any of the games, but I'm glad he was given the opportunity to be part of a winning group of players, and I've no doubt he'll be keen to carry over the international success to our club setting. Most of all, I'm glad he will now be able to make his official début for us, next week-end when we face Valence at La Bocca. Jean-Michel Padovani has covered for him very competently in the first few games, but he understands full well that Florent's return to the squad is synonymous with his own return to the bench.

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange is on the telly tonight, and that little carved box sitting on my coffee table is just screaming for attention...

First team squad player profiles for the 2004/05 season -Goalkeepers and Defenders (source: D. Le Spliff's personal notes).

Goalkeepers.

Florent Chaigneau (Fra, 20, GK): Very agile for a man his size, and with a cool head on his shoulders for one so young. Commanding in the air, and a good shot-stopper, he needs to improve his communication with the defence as well as the timing of his rushes out of the goal. Came through Rennes' youth academy, AS Cannes is his second club.

Jean-Daniel Padovani (Fra, 24, GK): Able deputy for Chaigneau. Good all-round goalkeeping skills, but his distribution is mediocre and he lacks confidence in the air. Has played at Martigues, Nice and Rouen before joining Cannes in 2003.

Defenders.

Djibril Diawara (Fra/Sen, 29, D/DM r/c): Very powerful right-back, rarely beaten for pace or in aerial duels. One of the main targets in our set-piece combinations, scored an impressive thirteen goals last season. An experienced player, who plied his trade at Le Havre, Monaco and Torino. One of my first signings in the summer of 2003, and arguably the most effective.

Lasha Chelidze (Geo, 19, D r/c): Talented young defender, with good technical ability and football intelligence. I intend for him to replace Diawara on the right side in the medium term, though for now he plays mostly in central defence. Lasha has already played six times for his country, and is bound to attract attention from bigger clubs, sooner rather than later. We signed him for a pittance from Georgian club Kutaisi during the last winter break, and I hope we can hang on to him for as long as possible.

Mehdi Meniri (Alg/Fra, 27, D r/c): Mehdi is a solid defender who reads the game well, and provides cover for both the centre and right side of the defence. Seasoned campaigner who has played over two hundred competitive league games in France, with teams such as Nancy, Troyes and Metz, and is therefore perfectly suited to our current level.

Julien Tournut (Fra, 22, D l/c): I have high hopes for Julien, who joined us permanently this summer after spending last season here on loan from Nancy. Julien is maturing at an impressive rate, and as a defender he has very few weaknesses; strong and quick, good in the air, he can mark players out of a game and has an excellent attitude and work rate on the pitch. Natural cover for, and possibly in the medium term a replacement for, Harlington Shereni as the left-sided centre-back.

Harlington Shereni (Zim, 29, D/DM l/c): Strong and pacy, with an excellent positional sense, nicknamed 'Harley-Davidson' by the rest of the team for his reliability and tireless contribution, natural leader of the back four. Harley came to France in 2003, and was our biggest signing of the last winter break when he joined from Istres for £300.000.

Délis Ahou (Fra, 20, D/DM l/c): This young and attack-minded fullback is a product of Nantes' excellent youth system, and he has shown good potential whenever I've brought him into the team. He is bound to play more games this season, as he will be the designated cover for Mohellebi on the left flank of the defence.

Laurent Mohellebi (Fra, 20, DM l/c): Laurent never misses an opportunity to point out to me that he is not a defender. Nonetheless, he has been happy to play at left-back, and what is more, has thoroughly established himself as the best man for the position since the depature of veteran Torres Mestre. He too joined us permanently after an initial loan spell at La Bocca. Brought through the ranks at Monaco, he is an intelligent player with good defensive abilities and ball skills, and has already caught the eye of several Ligue 1 scouts.

First team squad player profiles for the 2004/05 season -Midfielders and Forwards (source: D. Le Spliff's personal notes).

Midfielders.

Suleiman Mohammed (Nig, 20, DM c): A regular starter in the Nigerian under-21s, Suleiman is the steel in the Cannes midfield and had an excellent first season at the club. Strong and hard-working, he is a threat when shooting from distance and netted an impressive ten goals for the club in 2003/04. An excellent attitude and maturity beyond his years have earned him the captain's armband.

Guillaume Plessis (Fra, 19, DM c): Talented young player on loan from Lens, who is more of a playmaker than a holding midfielder. He is creative and a good passer, has quick feet and delivers a very good ball from set-pieces. He is also hard-working and determined, and could well have a bright future ahead of him. I'll be looking to sign him on a permanent basis, if the opportunity arises and his performances are good enough.

Youssef Moustaïd (Fra, 28, AM r/l/c): Played on the right wing last season, but now given a free role behind the front two. Very quick and en excellent dribbler of the ball, his flair and vision constitute one of our major offensive strengths. He was one of the stars of last season, with sixteen goals and twenty-six assists in thirty-eight appearances.

Toledo Robson (Bra, 23, AM/F r/c): Phenomenon. By far the most gifted player I have ever worked with. He has frightening pace and ball skills, and unlike most players of his type he works hard for the team and poses a significant threat in the air. Had an outstanding first season with Cannes playing up front, and was voted the Fans' Player of the Year as well as National Player of the Year. Bagged a staggering thirty-eight goals and thirteen assists in his thirty-nine competitive games for the club. Yet I remain convinced his natural position is on the right wing, and that is where will be playing this season, though of course his versatility provides me with additional options.

Steeve Théophile (Fra/Ivo, AM/F l): Quick, strong and skilful, Steeve is an ambitious young man who came up through the ranks of the Nantes youth academy. Since then he has ùoved on from season to season, leaving a good impression wherever he played, from RC Paris to Gueugnon, then Créteil and Sedan, from where we signed him this summer. First-choice on the left wing.

Milan Rapaic (Cro, 31, F c): Capped thirty-one times for his country, vastly experienced player who has been a key member of squads such as Hajduk Split, Perugia and Fenerbahce. Milan had been unemployed for quite some time and training with his home town club Hajduk, and he accepts the fact that he will not be starting too many games. Having said that, his cultured left foot and all-round ability make him an important addition in terms of the depth of the squad.

Forwards.

Bruce Inkango (Fra, 20, F c): Promising young forward, reared at the club and much loved by the supporters. Has a great turn of pace, and the ability to make runs into the right areas at the right time. Played well when he was called upon last season, and will now be vying with Zoko for the fourth spot in the strikers' pecking order.

Tim Janssen (Hol, 18, S c): Tim seems glad to have left the intense competition at PSV Eindhoven behind him, and since his arrival his pace and goalscoring instincts have impressed everyone in training. First-choice cover for the front two. I expect the teenager to play a major part in this season's proceedings, and adapting to a new type of football can only improve him as a player.

Anatoli Todorov (Bul, 19, S c): Fantastic prospect, who already has everything it takes to make the big time. Tall, quick and strong, he is a deadly finisher and a deceptively good dribbler. Excellent work rate, despite a tendency to grow 'blinkered' when he gets a glimpse of goal. He is bound to attract the attention of major clubs sooner rather than later, and frankly I'm amazed that he has eluded their notice so far.

Maxim Tsigalko (Blr, 21, S c): Eldest of the three 'young guns' we brought in this summer, Maksim is a natural finisher whose pace and searing runs should spell trouble for our opponents' defences. Good aerial presence and strong-willed, his attitude in training is exemplary and like Todorov he has the potential to reach the highest levels of the game. Capped three times for Belarus, he has scored twice for his country already and I am in no doubt that there are many more to come.

Gnahoua François Zoko (Ivo, 26, S c): Competent striker, quick and comfortable on the ball. Unlikely to feature much though, given the quality we possess up front, but when I made the situation clear to him he dismissed the idea of leaving the club, and seems happy enough to make up the numbers at the moment.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated. You've been a bit quiet in the forum recently (no new stories appearing every other week icon_wink.gif), hope everything's going well for you. Still studying film-making?

If the injuries were to hit, then these are the hopefuls who could benefit:

First team squad player profiles for the 2004/05 season -Additional cover: Reserve and Under-18 players likely to feature (source: D. Le Spliff's personal notes).

Julien Faubert (Fra, 21, D RC, Reserves): Good prospect who needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game. Quick and strong, Julien reads the game well and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Formed at the club, he played one game with the first team last season, and might well get a few more under his belt this year.

Denis Stinat (Fra, 21, D L, Reserves): Pacy left-back with a good attitude. Bought in the summer from Gap for £50.000, to provide extra cover down the left side of the defence.

Christophe Leca (Fra, 15, D C, Under-18s): French Schoolboy international and latest product of our youth set-up, Christophe is quick and excellent in the air. He is showing some excellent potential with the Under-18 side, but I don't want to rush things and Gabriel agrees it's far too early to have him train with the professionals, let alone play alongside them. Still, everyone at the club expects great things from him in the future.

Souleymane Bamba (Fra, 19, D C, Reserves): Played in the youth teams at Juventus and Paris SG, but never made the grade there. Joined us on a free transfer in the summer of 2003, and played one game with the first team last season. Physically imposing and gets about well, but needs to improve the mental and technical sides of his game if he hopes to challenge for a place.

Panagiotis Lagos (Gre, 19, D/M LC, Reserves): Versatile young player, competent and hard-working but unlikely to ever provide more than additional cover. Then again, he has plenty of time to develop, and cost us nothing as he was released by Iraklis in the summer.

Thibault Courtel (Fra, 21, DM RC, Reserves): Pacy wing-back who likes to get forward. Featured in nine games last season, but the increased competition for places is likely to keep him out of the first team altogether.

Urby Emanuelson (Hol, 18, M C, Reserves): Talented young midfielder, whose contribution last season (13 games, 3 goals) made a big impression on the staff and the supporters. Very good passer and dribbler, formed at the prestigious Ajax youth academy. Injury to any of our midfielders will see him join the first team squad as extra cover, but on the whole I hope to see him gain experience and fitness with the Reserves.

Ludovic Viltard (Fra, 20, F LC, Reserves): Pacy left-winger who can also play up front. Ludo featured in five games with the first team last season, scoring one goal and setting up two others, but with several attacking players joining us this summer he no longer really gets a look in. Seems happy enough playing with the Reserves, but he doesn't feature in my medium- or long-term plans.

Christophe Lemaire (Fra, 16, S C, Under-18s): Excellent prospect we filched from Beauvais during the last winter break after Jean [Varraud, Head Scout] urged us to do so. Quick and sharp, with a great eye for goal, he so impressed the coaches that he made three first-team appearances last season, setting up two goals and displaying maturity beyond his years. But like Christophe Leca he has plenty of time ahead of him, and I intend to spare him from any pressure that might hamper his development.

Yohan Delplas (Fra, 18, S C, Reserves): Yohan is big and strong and deceptively quick. Formed at Montpellier, he is a natural finisher too, and if he can improve his ball skills he will become a significant threat to any defence at this level of the game.

just been busy of late, to be honest. started my uni course, still job hunting (although not too much dedication going into that) but managed to get a gig writing the occasional rugby report for the edinburgh evening news. will hopefully soon get to updating my current story more regularly icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Which one? I've lost track...Sorry, I know that was cheap, but I've not actually been reading that much of the recent stuff on the forum.

I usually buy the Evening News on a Thursday, when the employment section comes with it. Still not working icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll keep an eye out for the rugby reports though icon_smile.gif

Game reports and team news (source: 'Bocca Vera!' fanzine, first three weeks of September 2004).

3rd September 2004.

Dinamo Kiev beat Juventus 2-0 at the Stade Louis-II in Monaco to win the European Super Cup.

5th September 2004, La Bocca (att. 6774). Ligue 2.

AS Cannes 3

ASO Valence 0

Goals: Todorov (1-0, 13), Ardouin (og 2-0, 50), Tsigalko (3-0, 81).

Shots: AS Cannes 28 (18), ASO Valence 1(0).

Excellent team performance by the home side, who dominated their opponents in every compartment of play. From the moment the first goal went in, there was never any doubt as to which team would take the three points.

Cannes stay third in the table, and now have the best goal difference in Ligue 2, having scored eighteen and conceded five. Niort and Angers lead the pack.

10th September 2004.

Youssef Moustaïd twisted his knee in training and will be out for about a week.

13th September 2004.

Cannes were drawn to play at home against Niort (Ligue 2) in the Preliminary Round of the League Cup. The game will take place at La Bocca on 28th September 2004.

14th September 2004.

Siramana Dembelé picked up a groin strain in training, and will be away from the pitches for around three weeks.

15th September 2004, Stade des Costières (att. 7956). Ligue 2.

Nîmes Olympique 1

AS Cannes 2

Goals: Janssen (0-1, 47), Mohammed (0-2, 57), Moke (1-2, 85).

Shots: Nîmes Ol. 3(2), AS Cannes 10(9).

The late rally by Nîmes did not prevent Cannes from coming away with the spoils, though Moke was the best player on the park and scarcely deserved to be on the losing side. On the whole, though, it was a well-earned win for the visitors, and only a string of saves by Nîmes keeper Duchesne kept the scoreline close.

With Angers held to a draw away to Valence, Cannes move up to second spot and lie two points behind leaders Niort.

19th August 2004, La Bocca (att. 8175). Ligue 2.

AS Cannes 3

Louhans-Cuiseaux 0

Goals: Moustaïd (1-0, 8; 2-0, pen 23), Janssen (3-0, 33).

Shots: AS Cannes 22(16), Louhans-Cuiseaux 2(0).

Rivals in the National last year, the teams looked very mismatched in this encounter, particularly in the midfield where Cannes were rampant. Moustaïd was outstanding, and Plessis, Zoko and Janssen put in very good performances. The young Dutchman's superb individual effort brings his tally to four goals in five league games -a very impressive start to the eighteen-year-old's French adventure.

Plessis suffered a calf injury during the game, and is likely to miss the next three weeks at least. Other than that the news was good, with Angers falling two points behind in third. Niort stay top with a two-point cushion over Cannes.

Diary entry (source: David Le Spliff's personal diary) -entry dated 22nd September 2004.

Writing this down might help to clear my thoughts a little. My hands are still shaking slightly, but a glass or two of Macallan's ought to see to that. I probably shouldn't leave the bottle on the table, in front of me and within easy reach, but that's just one more item on the list of things I probably shouldn't be doing...

I got back a little later than usual this evening, after an informal meeting with Stéphane and Gabriel at the Marie-Galante, which we mostly spent glaring at passing tourists to discourage them from sitting anywhere near us. I barely touched my pastis and pestered Georges into making me a sandwich, whilst Stéphane and Gabriel went through their squads for the Reserve and Under-18 games. The day after tomorrow, the first team plays away to Troyes, and despite their poor start to the season I'm well aware that our unbeaten record could come to an end there. Still, the new signings are adapting very quickly and their performances have been excellent, and the team has already made considerable progress in terms of the quality of the play, compared to the end of last season. I can't reasonably ask for any more than that.

I walked home feeling very content, looking forward to a long hot shower and a big fat joint. It took me about half a minute, once inside the door, to realize something was not quite right. I must have frozen in my tracks, or given some other obvious indication, because at that moment someone spoke from behind me.

- "I hope you don't mind, I helped myself to a smoke. Can't be too easy to find Haze like this around here." I whirled round, and he was standing in the opening that leads to the small kitchen alcove.

- "What are you doing here, Giacomelli? And what do you want?" I asked, a little more harshly than I had intended. He grinned and shook his head slightly, pacing over to the couch and sitting down.

- "No need to be so tense. I just want to talk. Don't you want to know more about what's going on in this corpse of a town?" He reached for the carved wooden box, which he must have taken from the cupboard in my room, opened it and began to roll a joint.

- "I'm not sure I do."

I grabbed the chair from under the small desk by the window, and sat facing him, mildly shocked that a cop could roll so attentively and expertly. As we smoked, he talked about the Bertuzzis, confirming the rumour I'd heard that the younger of the two had been murdered. There were apparently rival criminal groups involved in the killing, and it was becoming obvious that both the Bertuzzi brothers had been in the pay of one of these camps, perhaps even both. Giacomelli seemed fairly sure that it was part of a struggle for supremacy between, on the one hand, groups affiliated to the Albanian and Russian mafie, and on the other the older, longer-established clans of Sicilians, Corsicans and Latin Americans who had controlled the area's criminal activities for at least half a century.

I was both fascinated and disturbed by Giacomelli's account. The situation was obviously far more volatile, and potentially far more dangerous, than what I had suspected. The worst of it was, I had no idea how any of this tied in with the club, or even if any of it did. But Giacomelli certainly thought so.

- "Keep your eyes peeled around the other staff. They must have people inside, or at least as close to it as they can manage. Mention any of this to anyone, it could be your funeral. It's no joke."

- "I'm well aware of that. I've got a morning visit to the hospital to prove it."

- "You risk far more than a beating if you don't tread carefully."

- "On the whole I'd say I'm far less at risk than you are."

- "True." He grinned again, stubbed out the joint after a last drag and let out a long, weary breath. "I'm going to be in town for another couple of weeks, no more. After that, I return to HQ for the debriefing. I'll probably make contact with you one more time before I leave, but that depends on whether an opportune moment arises. Remember, not a word about any of this." I nodded and stood. We shook hands and I opened the door.

"Thanks for the smoke" he said, and was gone. I shut the door after him, and the first thing I did after that was to roll another...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OMDave:

Which one? I've lost track...Sorry, I know that was cheap, but I've not actually been reading that much of the recent stuff on the forum.

I usually buy the Evening News on a Thursday, when the employment section comes with it. Still not working icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll keep an eye out for the rugby reports though icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably won't have any more reports in this season, so here's one I prepared earlier

and the story I was on about has now bitten the dust icon_rolleyes.gif but i've got a new one going icon_biggrin.gif

oh, and needless to say this is still very good stuff icon14.gif

Archived