What are some of the ways that people improve finances of a team?

I know selling players, playing bigger teams in friendlies are both ways of doing this.

I think cash strapped teams are always fun to play with, makes you consider every aspect of your team. Do you need 8 scouts? What youth players should I look to improve and develop to bring into the first team next season etc.

Leave your thoughts below, thanks!

On 5/6/2018 at 23:27, smirkquirk said:

What are some of the ways that people improve finances of a team?

I know selling players, playing bigger teams in friendlies are both ways of doing this.

I think cash strapped teams are always fun to play with, makes you consider every aspect of your team. Do you need 8 scouts? What youth players should I look to improve and develop to bring into the first team next season etc.

Leave your thoughts below, thanks!

Ok , I will give you some tips. I really enjoyed teams with poor financial state. In my Blackburn save  ( before the database update) I did certain things. Im going to share it with you so you might have an idea.

1.  Get rid of useless loaned players at your club - Wage budget is a part of your overall bank balance , for example if you have 5M£ in your balance and if you spend 8M£ on wages yearly , at the end of the season you will probably end with -2M£ minimum bank balance. So if you think a player(s) is not fitting to your tactic or below the standards for your league, get rid of him.
  2. Selling a player is an art - Yes it is true. When you sell a player with a lot of potential ( Ryan Nyambe or Joe Rankin Costello for example at Blackburn) put non-negotiable percentage of profit from next sale clause. I sold Joe Rankin Costello to Spurs for 6M and Ryan Nyambe to Swansea for 1.5M net cash with %40 of profit from next sale clause. When you do something like this track it from the clauses section of transfers tab. When the profit clause is available to sell, sell it immediately. I remembered I generate an extra 4M+ from these clauses within months.
  3. Negotiate new contracts with high earners - When you take control of a club, look trough the players at your helm. See which players earn how much, then re-negotiate their contracts. Try to reduce their annual earnings.
  4. Do not use yearly wage rises or promotion wage rises for both players and staff - I also said staff because staff wages will also be deducted from your bank balance.  
  5. Do one year contracts with your players - This is another trick that I use. For example you probably dont know Kosovan striker Erton Fejzullahu (he is a good forward look at him) . So you have just discovered Erton but you are uncertain if he comes good for your team. Then offer him a one year contract with optional contract extension clause. If he does wonders , fine trigger the extension or if he struggles to perform say bye to him. What I am trying to say is, you will have a range of a wage budget to spend ( depends of your success) , at the end of the season reduce the wage bill as much as possible to open room for more quality players...

Easy. Follow the Moneyball rules. These vary from person to person but these are the ones I follow.

1) Don't overpay for players. If a player isn't transfer listed or his contract expired, he isn't signing for me. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure and all that.

2) Don't sign players over the age of 26/27. Any older and you lose resale value. The only time I break this rule is if a player has a great personality for mentoring young players.

3) If an offer comes in for a player that is above their value then accept it (assuming you can bring in someone as good or better). This means not getting emotionally attached to your players. What you have to remember is there will (almost) always be someone as good or better out there. 

4) If a player you're looking at signing has never really played well, don't sign them. I know this one sounds odd but something I have very often found to be true is that players who have never managed 6.8 and above as an average rating for a season don't play well for me either. This sounds like it contradicts the idea that I only sign unwanted players (because why would teams be getting rid of those guys right?) but it never fails to amaze me that players who have done well for teams end up either lister or released. 

5) I tend not to sign stars. The financial benefits of signing a big player from a different country is so minimal that it's hardly worth bothering. Players with a great work ethic and personality are far more likely to end up playing for me than big names. I want players who fit my system and graft.

Doing these things has enabled me to turn financially insecure teams into rich teams within 5 years. Teams that are millions in debt as well like Coventry for example.

A tip I've come across when it comes to contract negotiations.

Try not to put bonuses or clauses in their contracts. You can offer them a bit more in wages to get rid of these bonuses. It may sound counter-intuitive but it works. With their weekly wage, there is a constant expenditure. With the bonuses, you can be hit with spikes in spend which could be the difference between positive and negative bank balances.

Sell-on clauses in player's contracts can be a big killer too. I always remove these. Also be wary of any wage increase clauses too.

Archived