Home-grown status

Hello, 

I am playing with Örebro in Sweden. I have a strange issue with a home-grown status. In the beginning of the season I bought an Estonian international.  It is now the end of the season (as champions :-)) and in my end of season checkup I noticed he isn't due to become home-grown at club (see very small screenshot). A few other players I bought during the same transfer window (a Belgian, Islandic and Danish youngster) are due to become home-grown in a few years. 

HG.thumb.JPG.dc5efdbe745a28abdfdce1ebbb8e0a91.JPG

As you can see, he is only 18 years old and haven't been on loan. Why is he not on track to become home-grown for the club? 

Errki.thumb.JPG.f56ae799e732c1207244a7419c84f29a.JPG

I'm not very clued up about Swedish rules, league start dates or anything. The only thing that comes to mind is if he'd already had his 18th birthday by the time he joined your club, he won't be at your club for 3 years before his 21st birthday and therefore not eligible for home grown status. Even if that means missing out by a day or two.

1 hour ago, Tom8983 said:

I'm not very clued up about Swedish rules, league start dates or anything. The only thing that comes to mind is if he'd already had his 18th birthday by the time he joined your club, he won't be at your club for 3 years before his 21st birthday and therefore not eligible for home grown status. Even if that means missing out by a day or two.

This sounds about right.

I'm pretty sure that Homegrown rules are the same for all of the leagues (however the age range varies, either 0-21 or 15-21, not that it makes much, if any, difference in the game)

4 hours ago, Kalme Saki said:

Hello, 

I am playing with Örebro in Sweden. I have a strange issue with a home-grown status. In the beginning of the season I bought an Estonian international.  It is now the end of the season (as champions :-)) and in my end of season checkup I noticed he isn't due to become home-grown at club (see very small screenshot). A few other players I bought during the same transfer window (a Belgian, Islandic and Danish youngster) are due to become home-grown in a few years. 

HG.thumb.JPG.dc5efdbe745a28abdfdce1ebbb8e0a91.JPG

As you can see, he is only 18 years old and haven't been on loan. Why is he not on track to become home-grown for the club? 

Errki.thumb.JPG.f56ae799e732c1207244a7419c84f29a.JPG

What's the season start date in Sweden? I'm guessing from his contract it's November, however as your player was born in November he has likely just missed the cut-off date.

Generally if you sign a player in the season he turns 18 he should become homegrown (if you don't sell/loan him), if you sign a player in the season they turn 19 it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether they become homegrown or not. I've just had the same situation in England - signed a player in June when the window opened when he was 18, but he turned 19 later in June so doesn't become homegrown, but another player signed in Jan at 18 turned 19 in Feb and well get homegrown status.

1 hour ago, Neotropolis said:

This sounds about right.

I'm pretty sure that Homegrown rules are the same for all of the leagues (however the age range varies, either 0-21 or 15-21, not that it makes much, if any, difference in the game)

There is an important difference between the 0-21 and 15-21 homegrown statuses, 15-21 is needed for European competitions, whilst 0-21 is generally for domestic competitions, but can vary depending on the league rules.

9 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

There is an important difference between the 0-21 and 15-21 homegrown statuses, 15-21 is needed for European competitions, whilst 0-21 is generally for domestic competitions, but can vary depending on the league rules.

Thank you. I didn't realise there was a specific difference.

It will probably be the cut-off date then. The other players are indeed younger than him. 

It's a shame because you need 9 home-grown players on the pitch in Sweden so it's allways nice to have. However at the rate he's improving, I most likely won't be able to hang on to him for 3 years before he is lured away. 

Thanks for the help!

Archived