New role? A "Reverse Carrilero"

I have been trying to implement something like the 3-6-1 in this article without a lot of success. It struggles mightily against the 4-2-3-1 so popular in England. I also borrow from The Great Wall of Italia over at The Tactical Annals.

Here is one take on it. Yes, I love my hipster formations. I also like hot sauce on my food. The Libero-Attack steps up in attack and at the beginning of the defensive transition to make it a 6 man midfield. It's not an exact replica of the article of course, since the "6" is actually part of the defensive formation in the article.

330687913_ScreenShot2018-06-12at10_56_44AM.thumb.png.abae226839de08a8743d995126599ff2.png

Anyway, I think it would be great to be able to push the CWBa up to a DWs. But then that right flank gets killed against a 4-2-3-1.

If I understand correctly the Carrilero will help cover the flank ahead of a FB/WB (EDIT: I guess technically behind when the FB/WB bombs forward, ahead in the formation sense since the MR/AMR is open) when he's the only player on that flank.

It would be great to have a "reverse-Carrilero" that sits in the MC strata, and covers *behind* a MR/AMR when *he* is the only player on that flank. Or is there another role that does this that I'm missing?

I haven't actually tried this one out yet by the way. I'm hoping it might work, still in the development stage. But I just think a reverse carrilero in the MCR slot would be perfect if I move the CWB up, that's all.

A good midfielder should do that job anyway. If they have good awareness and teamwork then they should slot into any gaps that appear in the shape. The key is to having them in the rough kind of area that you want them, so a DLP(d), CM(d) or BWM(d) played on the right of a three should, generally, slot back into a backline when the wide player has moved forward, particularly when the ball is turned over. The reason the carrilero isn't working out is because he moves laterally, by design. You needs someone who will move back as well, hence the DLP, CM & BWM.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

1 minute ago, Atarin said:

The reason the carrilero isn't working out is because he moves laterally, by design. You needs someone who will down as well hence the DLP, CM & BWM.

I don't know if it would work out yet ... haven't actually tried it. I was just thinking more theoretical.

A smart BWMs or CMd would probably do the trick though. Maybe I could even set him to man-mark the opposition AML?

Also, I thought the Carrilero moved not just laterally, but more up and into the channel forward when he isn't needed for cover, then back and to the touchline when he is.

He's hard-coded a little differently than just a CMd or a BWMs too. And he isn't intended for use at all when you have a MR/AMR. It'd be cool if he had extra coding so he'd work as a Carrilero when you only have one player on the wing *no matter where that player is on the wing* is probably all I am saying I guess.

So I'm playing around with a MEZa-DWs combo and I gave up a goal to the opposing AML on a cross. I decided what the hell and had the MEZa mark the AML. So far he's had two nice diving tackles in the corner to keep the AML from getting in a cross, so that's good! Basically the AML is double marked now since the DWs also tracks back some with him. Gotta figure one of them will make it back in time :-)

And he's also available more in the build up since he's back there. It's kind of turned him into a box-to-box Mezzala. Small sample size of course, but it's interesting to watch.

And of course as I am about to send, he scores anyone. Not on the break. Just in normal play while they were camping in my area, both the MEZ and DW got dragged out of position. Jeez. I guess I also need to set the Mezzala's closing down to much less or do tight marking.

Anyway, it is fun to tinker.

45 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

It would be great to have a "reverse-Carrilero" that sits in the MC strata, and covers *behind* a MR/AMR when *he* is the only player on that flank. Or is there another role that does this that I'm missing?

Sounds like you mean a IWB.  Covers the MR/AMR when out of possession but moves into MC when you have possession.

2 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Sounds like you mean a IWB.  Covers the MR/AMR when out of possession but moves into MC when you have possession.

Ah, good call forgot about that. Ooh ... new hipster idea possibly formulating along the lines of a 3-7-0.

Archived