Marcelo Bielsa

I have with his new team Leeds. I’ve not played many matches so far though. It may not work, but here it is (the 3313 cause I also have a 4213/4231 when teams go three up top)

GK: SK(S) PI’s distribute quickly

LCB/RCB: BPD(S)

CB: BPD(D)

DM: DLP(D)

RW/LW: W(A)

RCM/LCM: BBM(S) PI’s man mark the opposition’s furthest forward wide player (created IWB’s without using IBW’s as doing it this way creates a more accurate attacking shape without sacrificing too much defensively)

CAM: E(A)

ST: CF(A)

Mentality: Attacking

Shape: Very Fluid 

Instructions: Play wider, Highest defensive line, Close down much more, Prevent short GK distribution, Play out of defence, pass into space, work ball into box, roam from positions (crosses can be set at whatever suits your squad. Ive got Roofe so I’m going whipped/low)

Optional TI’s (or ones I can’t remember if I had): Higher tempo, Be more expressive, Use offside trap,Get stuck in (not important but that’s my personal preferance).

Marcelo Bielsa’s style of football when it comes off is incredible. My Leeds in the 3 games (2 League and 1 in the carabo) it’s played have played some beautiful stuff. I look forward to hearing your results

Much like in real life Bielsa's tactics are very hard to execute. But nevertheless, I do use elements of his principles in my current AC Milan save. The differences are:

1. Using Counter as a mentality over the more risky options. When the opportunity arises the team will still throw men forwards to overload but they will pick and choose when to do so. Defensively they will retain a shape while I use PIs and OIs to press specific areas of the field. I've seen this mentioned before as a way to overcome the gaps that get left on Attacking.
  2. Using a flat midfield two. Again this is for defensive shape. Regardless of formation, I find it hard to shield the defence without at least two players in the CM strata. One sits deep as a CM(D) or DLP(D) - pushed up to Support for really weak opposition - and the other a BBM(S). The BBM pushes on to create the man in the hole between the two forward lines of 3. Otherwise, I'd be concerned over the gap between the defensive midfielder and the attacking midfielder. In attack the shape is close to a 3-3-1-3 but in defence creates a line up closer to a 5-4-1.
  3. Not using an advanced playmaker - for the time being, I don't have a player with the creative skill to do so. I plan to experiment with the BBM being moved to an AP(S) who might try and find space between the lines.
  4. One narrow attacker, one wide attacker - again I find a pair of inside forwards or a pair of wingers either get too congested or too far apart. I've found a Winger to supply a CF(S) and a RAM is the best way to get numbers in the box and stretch play
  5. One narrow wing-back, one wide wing-back. Again one wing back to add width beyond the RAM and one to tuck in as an IWB(S) and create a midfield 3. I've never really used Inverted Wing Backs but standard WB just stand next to my Winger. In this case, they open up the centre of the pitch with so many possibilities. 

In terms of a press, the side sits deep but largely due the quality of my defenders in the box and my desire to use the counter-attack. An exact replication is nigh on impossible but elements can be used for sure.

Archived