How to develop youngsters

Obviously the first thing is to make sure they're being loaned out to play first team football, rather than just covering the team or being a backup. 

Second, check how the team plays, will they be playing him in your preferred position or will they stick him somewhere you don't want him to play? I'm forever annoyed when a talented AMC is being used in MC or on the wings, or if my striker is pushed out wide. 

Another thing is the teams facilities, obviously lower down the leagues the facilities aren't great but trying to get them to a club with decent facilities would be beneficial. 

And perhaps most important of all, the level of football they'll be playing. You don't want your player to be playing league 1 or 2 football if he's easily good enough for the championship, could be a wasted season. Similarly, you dint want then playing at a level too high, which would still be beneficial, but could lead to them being dropped from the first team and becoming something of a backup. 

Also, I tend to keep the youngsters until they're 18/19. Maximise their time using my facilities and being tutored before they're thrust into the football World. Most League 2 teams try to come in and loan my 17 year olds which is tempting  but I find they develop a bit slower if they get so much football right off the bat

Your coach report for the player will give you the info you need

look for a sentence that reads something along the lines of "currently playing at league 2 level"

for now ignore the 'potential league level' assessment

if you are going to loan the player out ensure the loaning club plays in the league specified to maximise experience gains

1st team is the loan term you want to expect as a minimum

back up/rotation means he wont be guaranteed a spot in the team when you're sending him there to get game time

Archived