Finances are broken for small teams

Hello folks,

I am playing Winterthur. It is a small team in the second swiss division.

My yearly wage budget is 2 millions. I am spending 1,76 millions.

My current transfer budget is 326k.

My overall balance is - 474k (end September 2017).

I am making a loss of over 100k every month. There are no champions league millions which could save me. So what is the sense of wage and transfer budgets? They should be calculated in a sensible way. I am the manager and I have to work with these budgets.

First of all, welcome to the forum :).

Without wishing to sound flippant, if you are having financial problems stop spending so much.  For example, do you really need an ageing Brazilian costing you £325k a year (that's £25k each month aka a quarter of your monthly loss from just that one player)?  Do you not have, or can you create any links with larger clubs allowing you to loan in decent players for free?

Sure money can suck in the lower leagues and promotion helps a lot, but you can still stay solvent until that happens with prudent planning.  Selling over paid players will not only bring you in cash to boost your balance but also remove large wages from your books.

A wage and transfer budget is just that - a budget.  It doesn't mean you have to spend it, especially if you're losing 100k+ a month.

44 minutes ago, Tom 99 said:

Hello folks,

I am playing Winterthur. It is a small team in the second swiss division.

My yearly wage budget is 2 millions. I am spending 1,76 millions.

My current transfer budget is 326k.

My overall balance is - 474k (end September 2017).

I am making a loss of over 100k every month. There are no champions league millions which could save me. So what is the sense of wage and transfer budgets? They should be calculated in a sensible way. I am the manager and I have to work with these budgets.

I'll check the overall finances of winterthur in game after work and maybe help a little bit.

2 hours ago, Tom 99 said:

The game does calculate finances in a sensible way already. Just because there's no money in the bank it doesn't mean your transfer budget should immediately be £0. The board will consider any future income when giving you your budget for the season so they may know that even by going further into the red it won't matter too much.

Think of it as an overdraft. The board are prepared to dip into the overdraft in order to give you money to improve the team in the knowledge that  this will level out later or in the hope that the money helps you get promoted and you benefit from the extra income.

If you don't want to go further into the red then you don't have to spend it. Simple as that really.

In terms of the monthly losses, this is quite normal. You'll be lucky to find any clubs that make a profit on a month-to-month basis. Wages, bonuses, loan repayments and other club costs generally outweigh any income from ticket sales. If you want to make money you'll need to perform well and benefit from prize money/new sponsorships, or raise funds by selling players.

3 minutes ago, wattzy said:

The game does calculate finances in a sensible way already. Just because there's no money in the bank it doesn't mean your transfer budget should immediately be £0. The board will consider any future income when giving you your budget for the season so they may know that even by going further into the red it won't matter too much.

Think of it as an overdraft. The board are prepared to dip into the overdraft in order to give you money to improve the team in the knowledge that  this will level out later or in the hope that the money helps you get promoted and you benefit from the extra income.

If you don't want to go further into the red then you don't have to spend it. Simple as that really.

I agree with this ^^ Start of 2nd season as Rangers (SPL) I have 33m in bank (sold players + season tickets, sponsors etc) yet am allowed to spend 1.1m a week on wages & close to 80m in transfer fee's which would put me quite easily 100m in debt but for arguments sake If i sold EVERYONE for value then i would be back in the positive (although with no decent players)

Winterhur in general though if your not getting promoted then your in deep trouble, having went on holiday for a season turnover is ~2m & the existing wage is ~1.65m (~800k season loss), once you get promoted you quite easily break even because the difference in prize money is ~1m+ a year + the extra tv money

If you dont plan on getting promoted then you need to sell players and reduce wages down to ~1m a year, go big or go-home

hace 59 minutos, wattzy dijo:

You'll be lucky to find any clubs that make a profit on a month-to-month basis

as of now i have found that only mid table or below england teams that promote to the premier can have a monthly income...also gibraltar Amateur teams if you exploit morocco's clubs friendlies

okay, I've checked winterthur and found nothing really. Player wages are even slightly below 'league average' so there's no problem with finances. So try to cut wages, sell some players or try to get promotion. 

Archived