Do England deserve a parade or at least a welcome-home ceremony?

1 hour ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Croatia were paraded on the streets and welcomed by hundreds of thousands of people.

Belgians have a party in the city center.

Panama had a parade with an open top bus.

England should be welcomed home with something like those. Who's with me?

They don't deserve either, a parade nor being received in a negative way.

England didn't win but had a respectable campaign.

Don't think we should have one, personally.

Maybe if we'd lost in the final, perhaps, but not for making the Semis.

There'll likely be people there to cheer them home off the plane, but definitely shouldn't be anything in way of an organised parade.

The Under-20s and Under-17s didn't get parades for winning their World Cups last year.

The women's team didn't get a parade for finishing 3rd in 2015.

The men don't deserve a parade for finishing 4th.

If they'd got to the Final, I could understand there being one. As it is, all they have done is exceed expectations.

4 hours ago, CFuller said:

If they'd got to the Final, I could understand there being one. As it is, all they have done is exceed expectations.

Still, I reckon that would be embarrassing to do such a thing. I remember when Wales had a homecoming for finishing semis at the Euros. Very tin pot behaviour.

Not of my business but... I mean the english Premiere League is the most followed league in the world. The most rich. The most spectacular, The most attractive.

And do you want me to believe a fourth place at the World Cup is worth to be cheered?

C'moooon....

3 minutes ago, Federico said:

Not of my business but... I mean the english Premiere League is the most followed league in the world. The most rich. The most spectacular, The most attractive.

And do you want me to believe a fourth place at the World Cup is worth to be cheered?

C'moooon....

Overall 31% English players in EPL... this is more heavily weighted to the bottom of the table... and in a lot of cases, played less frequently than 'first team' foreigners.

If anything the success of EPL and influx of foreign players relate to fans apathy (like myself) but not whether or not 4th constitutes success or not.

I'm in the minority .. most of the country is really pleased with coming 4th... I'm one of the select few that looks at how we achieved it and doesn't think it's much of an achievement. But what does seem a collective thought, whether we think 4th is good or not, is that it doesn't deserve a special celebration!

6 minutes ago, Federico said:

C'moooon....

Quality of their NT has nothing to do with league quality.

Managers from top6 clubs are all foreign, except for Tottenham no key players are English.

9 hours ago, sebsy said:

Don't think we should have one, personally.

Maybe if we'd lost in the final, perhaps, but not for making the Semis.

There'll likely be people there to cheer them home off the plane, but definitely shouldn't be anything in way of an organised parade.

That was the thing. Birmingham Airport doesn't have an area for fans to welcome the players home. Or so I read.

The only thing that should be "celebrated" is that we somehow didn't have to face France or Spain or Germany or Brazil or Portugal or Argentina. 4th was better than anyone imagined a month ago, but we lost to the only 2 good teams we faced. Tunisia and Panama might as well be pub teams, Sweden are nothing special, and Colombia aren't great. All teams we'd have expected to beat. We're a decent-but-not-great team who have improved and got lucky with the route, but are still a long way short of the teams I mentioned at the start. And to think: some people are talking of knighthoods and renaming streets let alone an open top bus tour. Wow.

On 17/07/2018 at 01:05, georginho_juventusygr said:

Croatia were paraded on the streets and welcomed by hundreds of thousands of people.

Belgians have a party in the city center.

Panama had a parade with an open top bus.

England should be welcomed home with something like those. Who's with me?

Croatia won silver, Belgians won Bronze, Panama won their first participation in WC. What have England won to celebrate?

Archived