Caixa Futebol Academy: Youth Development & Adapting Tactics

50 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

Wow, very helpful.

Hope you get it sorted O-zil.I'm still going strong with my Benfica save.

I made the same suggestion the last time his Mac died lol.

I hope he does get it fixed, I would miss the tactical genius.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/05/2020 at 18:11, blackdevil said:

Have you tried restarting your machine?  With a restart it may close any process/files that could be open and effecting it.

And of course there's the verifying of game files to try too or a re-install.

Yea I think you're right. The game went very jittery all of a sudden and then crashed and has been unable to open since.

I've tried restarting, even giving it a couple of days, and have done the verify files option a bunch of times but still nothing. I've backed everything up and am now trying uninstalling it.. :seagull:

If this doesn't work, it looks like I am back to FM2017!! :lol:

Delete your "Football Manager 18" folder inside the "Sports Interactive" one. But pleeeease remember to copy the folders you want to keep and paste them somewhere else in the meantime ;)

Then start the game again and hopefully it works again and copy the folders you saved back again. At least that works for me whenever FM refuses to load on my Mac. If you already tried this you can just ignore me :lol:

8 horas atrás, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! disse:

Yea I think you're right. The game went very jittery all of a sudden and then crashed and has been unable to open since.

I've tried restarting, even giving it a couple of days, and have done the verify files option a bunch of times but still nothing. I've backed everything up and am now trying uninstalling it.. :seagull:

If this doesn't work, it looks like I am back to FM2017!! :lol:

hi @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, have you try to re-install the game? first make a copy of your save to the cloud so you can continue the same save again 

16 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I think I am out of ideas, that's:

1. Cache and preferences folders deleted.
  2. Integrity check completed in steam.
  3. Graphics folders deleted.
  4. Uninstalled, all folders deleted and re-installed.

This time it caused my entire computer to crash.

:(

Maybe change the installation folder? You can do that on a regular PC ayway :)

14 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I think I am out of ideas, that's:

1. Cache and preferences folders deleted.
  2. Integrity check completed in steam.
  3. Graphics folders deleted.
  4. Uninstalled, all folders deleted and re-installed.

This time it caused my entire computer to crash.

:(

It might just be the MAC mate. When my friends went it just did not want to play anything. Try FM17 and see if you have the same issues.

You could also look at removing the registry files, I know in windows they can cause issues.

5 minutes ago, Garrlor said:

It might just be the MAC mate. When my friends went it just did not want to play anything. Try FM17 and see if you have the same issues.

You could also look at removing the registry files, I know in windows they can cause issues.

That's my fear. It's also a 2012 Macbook I brought in Bogota, Colombia after getting robbed whilst crossing the border from Ecuador. Whenever I need IT help the IT guys always ask what the hell is this and all I can say is "long story".. :lol: :lol:

I am re-reading Brilliant Orange at the moment and it's making me itch to get back to this! 

50 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

That's my fear. It's also a 2012 Macbook I brought in Bogota, Colombia after getting robbed whilst crossing the border from Ecuador. Whenever I need IT help the IT guys always ask what the hell is this and all I can say is "long story".. :lol: :lol:

I am re-reading Brilliant Orange at the moment and it's making me itch to get back to this! 

Hammer and Fire mate, hammer and fire ;). My friends died after he was championing it as the only way to do design work, way better than PC etc etc.... he bought a laptop after that :lol:.

If you want to send me the save game to look after for you, I will happily do so ;). If its such an old Macbook with a possibly dubious authenticity record, it might be time to bite the bullet and move on. At least you can get your save game and settings off there and transferred across to a new machine.

22 hours ago, Armistice said:

Just get on Football Manager 17 mate. It's a good decision even if you'll lose all the progress you've made so far.

I tried last night and have the same issue! :(

9 hours ago, JDeeguain said:

I seriously recommend FM 2017, I recently re-installed it and the ME is a breath of fresh air compared to FM20. The UI, everything was just perfect.

ezgif-3-67cf57c84737.thumb.gif.69c86884fb3127a111fe32daae8d10ca.gif

Nice! How do you make the video?

57 minutes ago, Spiegel said:

If it's a Mac, you could maybe back up all your stuff with Time Machine then do a factory reset?

The technical issues forum is actually jammed with 5-6 people all having the same issue and across all versions of FM. I am wondering if t is a steam related issue. I am keeping an eye on their progress or a solution.

On 15/05/2020 at 15:18, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Is Brilliant Orange a book?

3 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I tried last night and have the same issue! :(

Nice! How do you make the video?

Gyazo GIF - Makes a 7 second video so good for showcasing goals in game!

The last few replies of people trying to help show how much people love your content and want it to continue :D .

I'll always recommend building a PC, can get one that runs FM like a dream for less than 700 these days. Can then stream this to a smaller device like a Chromebook for portability and same performance.

Edited by JDeeguain

1 hour ago, skyline72 said:

Is Brilliant Orange a book?

Yes, it's excellent if you are interested in learning more about Total Football and Dutch football in general.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106

1 hour ago, JDeeguain said:

The last few replies of people trying to help show how much people love your content and want it to continue :D .

I'll always recommend building a PC, can get one that runs FM like a dream for less than 700 these days. Can then stream this to a smaller device like a Chromebook for portability and same performance.

Thank you very much! :thup:

Is it easy to use? I have been trying to find a way to visually show some different styles of play. Previously used a free trial of some video editing software for the Wales and Barcelona threads but was incredibly time consuming.

2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Yes, it's excellent if you are interested in learning more about Total Football and Dutch football in general.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106

Is it easy to use? I have been trying to find a way to visually show some different styles of play. Previously used a free trial of some video editing software for the Wales and Barcelona threads but was incredibly time consuming.

I use Fraps and then use Handbrake to covert it to MP4 so I could upload it to YT.

Gyazo tho is a good shout as well

18 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Thanks @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

I just finished the first 2 chapters. 

I only knew Holland played beautiful football and will fail at the biggest stage before I came to this forum.

Now I know a lot more things!

35 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Seeing this thread again inspired me to update my calculator for FM20. Currently trying to build it in JavaScript to make it a bit more robust.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 09.41.09.png

Brilliant. I noticed whilst messing around with Football Manager 2014 that it did used to be possible to get the individual mentalities shown in the tactics screen.

The more I think about it, if it was down to me I would abandon duty and team mentality all together and simply select individual mentalities from the options available.

1. Having duty and individual mentality does not make sense.
  2. Team Mentality is a function of the collective individual mentalities, not the other way around.

Having to alter Team Mentality, TIs or a Players Duty in order to get them to play with a particular mentality makes no sense and sometimes not having the functionality to get a particular mentality is a joke.

I'm on a 2011 Mac and I get these crashes quite a few times in a session. I think it's just the Mac getting older and not able to run FM as efficiently. It tends to happen more of i leave FM open in the background for a bit then go to it. 

22 minutes ago, syemo said:

I'm on a 2011 Mac and I get these crashes quite a few times in a session. I think it's just the Mac getting older and not able to run FM as efficiently. It tends to happen more of i leave FM open in the background for a bit then go to it. 

Yea, fair enough. This one's done well but it's clearly on it's last legs now. Might be time for a new one. Their longevity seems to kill them FM-wise. I have only had 2 computers in the last 14 years and the first was stolen crossing the border from Ecuador to Colombia a few years back! :lol: 

It's getting get frustrating I have to save every week now so I don't lose too much. As it's annoying to keep doing it if it crashes. Yeah it's done well and tbh it's struggled since fm17 for me but I only use it for FM so can't bring myself to buy a new machine to justify it just for FM 

29 minutes ago, syemo said:

It's getting get frustrating I have to save every week now so I don't lose too much. As it's annoying to keep doing it if it crashes. Yeah it's done well and tbh it's struggled since fm17 for me but I only use it for FM so can't bring myself to buy a new machine to justify it just for FM 

Get a 2nd hand machine!

13 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

This time in isolation is leaving my mind running wild with ideas for this Benfica side..

dIrMLFO.png

:lol:

You finished Brilliant Orange already?

Im about halfway through. 

11 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

This time in isolation is leaving my mind running wild with ideas for this Benfica side..

dIrMLFO.png

It is a crazy tactic to go at FM-wise. I guess it could be modernized to a 4-2-3-1 shape. No way you would be able to play like this "purely" unless you have world class defenders :D

On 17/05/2020 at 09:42, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Back in the time machine to Football Manager 2011.

Not a bad squad..

nUEhvGG.png

Poor man's Dantas.. :lol:

2WuXtto.png

Was going to have an attempt at bringing in Pirlo and seeing how that plays out.

16uBBuP.png

Sadly also crashes as soon as the game reaches a match day. Urgh!! :seagull:

I remember doing something similar on an old FM demo (maybe 14), and trying to sign Scholes for Barca just to see how it would work with him alongside Xavi and Iniesta, but he completely refused to join. Must have been hard-coded to not want to leave United at the time.

11 hours ago, Jean0987654321 said:

It is a crazy tactic to go at FM-wise. I guess it could be modernized to a 4-2-3-1 shape. No way you would be able to play like this "purely" unless you have world class defenders :D

I think it could be useful against opponents playing those deep double pivots that are so hard to break down. They are so prominent in Portugal and offer very little attacking threat. Even playing them with a really open defence, you're going to outscore them.

Not a million miles off some of the things we saw from Guardiola at Bayern.

xj0ecWL.png

I060qVh.png

g9X5yxi.png

aNjygvB.png

But, yea.. not sure I'd have the courage to use this against your Real Madrids, Bayerns and PSGs of the world! :lol:

20 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I think it could be useful against opponents playing those deep double pivots that are so hard to break down. They are so prominent in Portugal and offer very little attacking threat. Even playing them with a really open defence, you're going to outscore them.

Not a million miles off some of the things we saw from Guardiola at Bayern.

xj0ecWL.png

I060qVh.png

g9X5yxi.png

aNjygvB.png

But, yea.. not sure I'd have the courage to use this against your Real Madrids, Bayerns and PSGs of the world! :lol:

You are going to outscore them!

You will have like 5-7 players attacking their box. 

On 18/05/2020 at 13:13, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

dIrMLFO.png

This must be circa 61-62 when Benfica won back to back European cups (now CL). It saddens me that I've never celebrated a CL glory as a Benfica fan. Not even my dad, who was born in 62.
To find players like Eusebio won't be easy, two footed, super strong, with a very powerful shot.
Coluna, possibly even harder, a true captain... a rare breed these days.

Good luck!

Edited by MadOnion

On 18/05/2020 at 10:22, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Brilliant. I noticed whilst messing around with Football Manager 2014 that it did used to be possible to get the individual mentalities shown in the tactics screen.

The more I think about it, if it was down to me I would abandon duty and team mentality all together and simply select individual mentalities from the options available.

1. Having duty and individual mentality does not make sense.
  2. Team Mentality is a function of the collective individual mentalities, not the other way around.

Having to alter Team Mentality, TIs or a Players Duty in order to get them to play with a particular mentality makes no sense and sometimes not having the functionality to get a particular mentality is a joke.

Certainly would simplify things if Mentality was removed, or at least calculated like Team Shape is. Anyway, I finished the calculator, I'm just running some final tests before I put it live. Obvs only applicable for FM19 and 20. Seems you've gone back rather than forwards so probably little use to you. 

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 22.04.02.png

dIrMLFO.png

I've seen a few games from that era just to witness Eusébio :)
So I could say he was a Shadow Striker and the great José Águas a target man with José Augusto and Simões being wingers on attack in the midfield strata.

Coluna was a box to box playmaker, perhaps a roaming playmaker on the left, with Cavém being an Segundo volante. Cruz would be somehat more of a libero on support than a Half Back, he patrolled that area on attack but then become a "standard"  defender when defending, to gain advantage on those areas when attacking and building up better.

Germano would be a regular defender, Ângelo a no nonsense defender/full back on defend and João a IWB on support, or a FB on support but with sit narrow instructions.

Costa Pereira was a standard keeper.

7 hours ago, josel15 said:

I've seen a few games from that era just to witness Eusébio :)
So I could say he was a Shadow Striker and the great José Águas a target man with José Augusto and Simões being wingers on attack in the midfield strata.

Coluna was a box to box playmaker, perhaps a roaming playmaker on the left, with Cavém being an Segundo volante. Cruz would be somehat more of a libero on support than a Half Back, he patrolled that area on attack but then become a "standard"  defender when defending, to gain advantage on those areas when attacking and building up better.

Germano would be a regular defender, Ângelo a no nonsense defender/full back on defend and João a IWB on support, or a FB on support but with sit narrow instructions.

Costa Pereira was a standard keeper.

So as I expected, something like this

GK

IWB (s)-CB (d)-BPD (x)-IWB (d)

SV (s)

W (a)---------BBM (s)--W (a)

SS (a)

DLF (s)

Edited by Jean0987654321

dIrMLFO.png

One question, Ozil!
Where did you get that image, as I'm curious to see the previous final in Bern against Barcelona :)

On 16/05/2020 at 14:14, JDeeguain said:

1d83d8bfc9d17efcdb601f6f0cfb1bf6.gif

59551f2f4925c663b31134bdf9276942.gif

6c2dc88fe9eb010d83dff6317faa786c.gif

40582608a08cd7554de3007397780b74.gif

EOmR0Y3.png

Whoa thank you so much; this is amazing!!!

For anyone who has yet to see, I have largely already done the 2021/22 season update in a new thread as I wanted to have a bit of fun with the style of play we have been working towards throughout this save and I felt that more would enjoy a new thread than those reaching page 16 of a 2-year old thread.

I am going to go provide a quick summary update here, on bits beyond the Total Football style and continue the save.

Cheers :thup:

4 horas atrás, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! disse:

1d83d8bfc9d17efcdb601f6f0cfb1bf6.gif

59551f2f4925c663b31134bdf9276942.gif

6c2dc88fe9eb010d83dff6317faa786c.gif

40582608a08cd7554de3007397780b74.gif

EOmR0Y3.png

Whoa thank you so much; this is amazing!!!

For anyone who has yet to see, I have largely already done the 2021/22 season update in a new thread as I wanted to have a bit of fun with the style of play we have been working towards throughout this save and I felt that more would enjoy a new thread than those reaching page 16 of a 2-year old thread.

I am going to go provide a quick summary update here, on bits beyond the Total Football style and continue the save.

Cheers :thup:

already there :D

could you talk about your variations that you also use? i see a 2-3-5, a 4-2-4, a WM, ...

i would love to see how you change de roles to fit the same team in a lot of variations.

Season 2021/22 Update

This is going to be a very brief update, really just to keep this thread up to date as there is a comprehensive update in the Total Football thread.

We have been working on this style for some time, and in 2021/22 it clicked and we played some of the best football I have ever seen.

The tactical evolution was:

• Looking back at the Control/Very Fluid football I felt that we played some nice football but we lacked some attacking edge.
    • Both against the top European sides but also the common deep defensive double pivots we faced in Portugal.
  • I started thinking about adding more Attack duties.
    • The main thing I needed was more from my Inside Forwards.
    • I wanted João Felix playing as a False 9 creating space for Jota and Embalo to combine.
    • When the Inside Forwards went to Attack, I had to move my wingbacks to Attack to avoid leaving a gap on the flanks.
    • The Mezzala was already on Attack so that meant 5 attack duties.
  • Football Manager is all about balance so 5 Attack duties set alarm bells ringing.
  • I realised that if I need 5 Attack duties to make something work, then I am probably on the wrong mentality.
  • At the same time I was reading Brilliant Orange again, whilst waiting for my laptop and the penny dropped.. I could create a collective, 'Total' attack.

AecM5Gp.png

Dramatic shift in the style of play and results was immediate and spectacular.

umJwjJm.png

vSdB7Ga.png

qNHUvR9.png

bSmc4bm.png

Sweeping everybody aside at home, and in Europe.

ETZJFYo.png

Gb3z5oF.png

ecZNB8L.png

YecehUP.png

Then at the World Cup.

AtDF4mv.png

oG2qkay.png

Fkgwfvt.png

Outlook for 2022/23

Where on earth do we go from here? :lol:

With our new stadium and the professionalism of the squad we do now have the financial capability to keep this squad together. We'll need to sell a handful of the squad members as we are not sustainable without transfer fees but it should at least be on our terms.

We also have some wonderful players coming through the B Team who also had a very good season:

TO4dZL1.png

FdKPbgz.png

RSA52oM.png

Q5KFpfh.png

Possibly the biggest challenge is what do do with Leão, now 17-years old, European Golden Boy and generational talent demanding a place in the team.

P8hyCzi.png

Another difficulty I am currently facing is a backlog of players ready to leave the club but the transfer market is absolutely dead following a hard-Brexit meaning players need work permits to play for the wealthiest Premier League clubs. Already getting absolutely derogatory bids for top players - £34m for João Felix?? :lol:

We are not at all strapped for cash so I might sell any squad players I can negotiate at semi-reasonable deals and loan the rest to keep their value.

In the academy expanding our intake is working nicely; although not the most talented intake this year.

0r2SCST.png

We now have clubs in:

• Brazil x2
  • Argentina
  • Chile
  • Uruguay
  • Chile
  • Peru (added since)

All contributing to the academy.

y9jvvRO.png

Having just about exhausted South America (there's a limit per country), I'll get one in Mexico next; my options are then US, China and a few in Africa. Brazil is churning out amazing players year after year again so I am taking any Brazilian options available.