How do you get the ai to spend money if you give them a huge transfer budget?

Is it that, or their reputation keeping them from signing expensive players?

You could give Portsmouth a billion pounds, and you still aren't getting players to step down and play there in their lower league.

Redo your test with editing the club reputation to a much higher level and see if that helps your test.

29 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

Is it that, or their reputation keeping them from signing expensive players?

You could give Portsmouth a billion pounds, and you still aren't getting players to step down and play there in their lower league.

Redo your test with editing the club reputation to a much higher level and see if that helps your test.

I edited the reputation and facilities and stadium etc. Maybe its because in fm even if they have the money for a top player they wont sign him because he wont agree to join such a weak team. What seems to be the main issue is the ai doesnt know how to eventually build the billions it has into a top team by slowly buying better and better players. It seems whatever talent a club has it tends to sign players around that level even if they have a billion in transfer budget:/

Well, that could be it as well, if you've edited the reputation, certainly.  There are several factors in play with player signings, and the strength of the squad would certainly be a big one.  

Have you also given them a large wage budget?  Allow them to overpay in wages for all of these players in a major way, and see if that helps?  

I've seen tests like these a lot, and it usually takes hold over a much longer period of time, so I'm definitely curious as to what your results wind up being.

1 hour ago, jaysdailydose said:

Well, that could be it as well, if you've edited the reputation, certainly.  There are several factors in play with player signings, and the strength of the squad would certainly be a big one.  

Have you also given them a large wage budget?  Allow them to overpay in wages for all of these players in a major way, and see if that helps?  

I've seen tests like these a lot, and it usually takes hold over a much longer period of time, so I'm definitely curious as to what your results wind up being.

Yeah i've given them like 12 million a week in wages. It might take more time to see them be more aggressive in signing players i'm not sure. The only thing that seems to help speed it up is if you just move a world class player to their team then they seem to start signing a bunch of top players.

9 minutes ago, FootballManager89 said:

Yeah i've given them like 12 million a week in wages. It might take more time to see them be more aggressive in signing players i'm not sure. The only thing that seems to help speed it up is if you just move a world class player to their team then they seem to start signing a bunch of top players.

I guess that makes sense. A team with Mbappe as the key player will be much more attractive to top players than one with Troy Deeney. (No offence Troy, first name to pop into my head after reading about Richarlison transfer)

I put a lot of money into all levels of the Scottish system and moderately raised the reputations of the teams to make a more interesting game for me as Celtic.   It took a few seasons to see better quality players arriving.  The first season saw a few moderately better signings for some of the top flight teams, but the follow-on seasons saw increased spending.  I didn't max out reputations because I wanted to keep it pretty realistic.  I didn't want an overnight change because I was interested in seeing how the other teams would go about building their squads.  

I think team tends to be more reactive than active in fm probably due to cpu constraint. You ll often see big teams like bayern/ liverpool etc.. sitting on 300 m transfer budget buying very few players until transfer deadline unless you offer some players yourself then they wake up.

Don't forget FFP.

Just having a large transfer / wage budget doesn't mean clubs actually have the money to spend.  And even if you give them a massive bank balance to go with it there are still FFP restrictions to account for.  You can't make a large loss, and spending hundreds of millions on new players will mean you lose money - you won't earn the income to offset the player purchases (unless you mess around with income section of the pre-game editor as well).  There are also wage restrictions to account for.

A large overall balance will only give the interest payable as an income

Shareholder dividend payments can exceed interest payments from a positive balance

Gate receipts & season ticket sales will be a large factor in how an AI board assigns wage/transfer budgets

It can take some time for the changes made to come into effect and may not be in place for the first 1 to 3 transfer windows, it will vary on how ambitious the board is

Archived