Player Development: Game Time vs. Appearances

I have a few questions about how the game determines 'match experience' for youth development purposes. If anyone has any insight, feel free to chime in below.

1. Does the game distinguish between starts and substitute appearances? 

2. Does the number of minutes a player plays in a game matter? i.e. is a 30 minutes substitute appearance more impactful than a 10 minute appearance

Essentially, I'd like to know if 'match experience' is determined by number of minutes played or by appearances. And if the latter, are starts and sub appearances considered equal or different? 

Good questions and  I am not sure I have a definitive answer (will probably need an SI dude here) but here is how I understand it and approach youth development:

1: Yes I believe it does, although perhaps only when it comes to contract status of players and expected appearances. However, if the Hot Prospect is starting the game, it would suggest he ends up with more minutes under his belt (see #2) as I assume he will not be subbed off before half-time.

2: Yes, minutes played has a big influence,  Playing 30mins over 10mins means, as an average, three times more touches of the ball, three times more involvement in the game. While any involvement is good involvement, the way I understand development works in this case means the attribute increase for the attributes used in the game is influenced by minutes. The longer he gets, the better the attributes get - assuming he plays OK.

With youth development, I give them as many minutes as I can afford, starts where possible in lower cup games etc, but when they are over 18 (unless their CA says otherwise). 

As an example, I had am 18 yr old whose star rated CA was 2.5, PA 4.5 - he got a couple of games in the first team, first as a sub but then, due to injury a run of starting appearances. He was up to 3.5* by Christmas purely down to minutes played. Next season, he will be in first team plans.

6 hours ago, Pass and Move said:

I have a few questions about how the game determines 'match experience' for youth development purposes. If anyone has any insight, feel free to chime in below.

1. Does the game distinguish between starts and substitute appearances? 

2. Does the number of minutes a player plays in a game matter? i.e. is a 30 minutes substitute appearance more impactful than a 10 minute appearance

Essentially, I'd like to know if 'match experience' is determined by number of minutes played or by appearances. And if the latter, are starts and sub appearances considered equal or different? 

I think this covers both your questions : 

Archived