youth coaches

1)Currently, if there is space to get a new coach, I go to the league comparison, see what I am not the best at, then gain that coach, but recently I  wondered if this really was efficient, and the right way to do it, how do you guys chose coaches? Is it based on performances, or the staff already present?

2)I am guessing youth coaches are vital to how a player develops at your club, so another question is, what attributes are best to develop youth (apart from the area they play in, eg. attacking or defending attributes)

Cheers

1) Head to Training > Coaches and see where you are weakest.  Perhaps you only have a 2 star coach compared to the rest being 4 stars, in which case I'd want to bring in a better coach than the 2 star one.  I've never checked the league comparison (didn't even know that was a thing).

2) Better coaches tend to have good attributes for Determination, Discipline, Motivation and their relevant technical area of expertise.  If you head to the Tactics and Training forum there is a thread pinned near the top titled "Please Read".  In there you'll find a link to the FAQs and if you scroll down that you'll find all coaches listed with their relevant attributes.  At a top club you'd be aiming for at least 15 in each attribute which you can scale down depending on the league you are in and the coaches available.  Obviously it's not always possible to find such coaches but it gives you a starting point.

I am same as Herne - I look to improve on my weakest training category.  While I take some pride in assembling a 'better than average' coaching team, I am more concerned with what happens at MY training center rather than what the rest of the league is doing with theirs.

Determination, Discipline and Motivating are the three attributes I look for after the training specialty as well. After that, Working With Youth as I tend to have a lot of youngsters. WWY obviously becomes more important for the youth squads, but I like to assemble a coaching team across the board that is good with young players.

As mentioned already, once the board are prepared to increase your coaching staff increasing the * rating for each category is the way to go, the secondary thing to look at is at the bottom of the screen, if a coaching group workload is listed at high then a 2nd coach for that category is really helpful.

With youth coaches, the same thing applies, attributes wise a good 'working with youth' rating wouldn't hurt. 

The thing to remember with youth training is it's only at its most effective to 18, and if you are raising the quality of your youth setup the facilities need to match the staffing level your bringing in. Location also plays a part, you can take Grimsby to the heady heights of constant continental competition, but it's still going to be a backwater nowhere that stinks of fish.

Here's my current coaching screen -- this is Vanarama North, so this "crappy" staff is by far the top in my league across the board.

Biggest thing to remember, the training area gets the star ratings of your highest coach as a base.  Depending on your amount of players that they are training, one good coach for an training area may be enough... the lower star guys on an area are there to help with workload.  For my "Ball Control" for instance, you'll see my character Jason Jackson at the bottom is on there along with my main BC coach and another guy.  They will get the star rating of the 2.5 star guy, and my character and the other low-rated guy are "an extra set of hands" for that training, is the best way to think about it.

You want to improve those star ratings at the bottom (which also lets you know your weakest coaching areas at a glance) while also making sure you have enough "sets of hands" to keep it to a light or average workload for your coach, so he can be at his full effectiveness in training.  

Hopefully this post and the screenshot is helpful, if you have any more questions I will absolutely help if I can! :D

Coaches.thumb.jpg.7b8f56f45cd5714aa274c7484addfdd3.jpg

Here's a picture of my staff screen to show you that this method indeed works:

Staff.thumb.jpg.3588efe053d21616a1a2f7e3af6be3e1.jpg

9 minutes ago, D_Walcott14 said:

Is player tutoring all the important?

I often chose to teach my player a trait, , should I be tutoring them instead?

Tutoring is really important. Whilst it can teach the tutor traits much more important is the effect on personality and determination. For example, In my present game, using just two tutors I changed one youngster from unambitious with determination of three to professional with a determination of 15. 

1 hour ago, D_Walcott14 said:

Is player tutoring all the important?

I often chose to teach my player a trait, , should I be tutoring them instead?

Not instead of, but in addition to training, bear in mind you still need to apply it intelligently.

Tutoring affects the hidden personality traits and determination &/or traits.

Using tutoring to modify the hidden traits can make a good youth prospect better, if he's given the right kind of tutor and the process concludes successfully.

There's a post somewhere that explains how you can work out the values of those ratings with out needing a 3rd party utility.

https://www.guidetofm.com/players/personalities 

is a pretty good guide and should help you manage this area a little better .

As a general rule, age 16-18 use training and tutoring. Tutoring to develop personality and some Traits, training to aid physical development and attribute growth.

18 and over, loaning out to improve the player - so tutoring is no longer available!

Any extra traits can be trained between 18-20 ish, even later if required, but tutoring early is important.

On 28/07/2018 at 09:18, turnip said:

I try to get veterans into the squad as Player/Under-19s Coach, so that I can have them Tutor younger players.

If that's the case, then their Coaching stats are a bonus, really.

I just signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic as my u18s Assistant Manager!

Ideally wanted him as a coach, but that was the only job he would accept - I needed a new one, and when I saw him as available just wanted him in the club. 

14 minutes ago, Snorks said:

As a general rule, age 16-18 use training and tutoring. Tutoring to develop personality and some Traits, training to aid physical development and attribute growth.

18 and over, loaning out to improve the player - so tutoring is no longer available!

Any extra traits can be trained between 18-20 ish, even later if required, but tutoring early is important.

I just signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic as my u18s Assistant Manager!

Ideally wanted him as a coach, but that was the only job he would accept - I needed a new one, and when I saw him as available just wanted him in the club. 

How are the Big Swede's coaching attributes?  Obviously adding international experience is always nice, and I'm going to imagine he has SOME type of interesting personality as a coach. ;)

He is actually best suited to Fitness Coach as an out and out coach - but his personality, professionalism, motivation etc and working with youngsters were all as good as I had if not better.

I am hoping he will develop into a Fitness coach, or any other to be honest - he is just the kind of personality I want to influence the youth, and maybe he will become my first team assistant eventually.

6 hours ago, Snorks said:

He is actually best suited to Fitness Coach as an out and out coach - but his personality, professionalism, motivation etc and working with youngsters were all as good as I had if not better.

I am hoping he will develop into a Fitness coach, or any other to be honest - he is just the kind of personality I want to influence the youth, and maybe he will become my first team assistant eventually.

Interestingly, I had Zlatan as my under-18's AssMan on my current save as Gillingham boss. After Dennis Bergkamp left me to go be AssMan for Henry's Arsenal, I promoted Zlatan to be my AssMan. We've got quite the working relationship. I just hope he doesn't get taken from me!

12 hours ago, Neotropolis said:

Interestingly, I had Zlatan as my under-18's AssMan on my current save as Gillingham boss. After Dennis Bergkamp left me to go be AssMan for Henry's Arsenal, I promoted Zlatan to be my AssMan. We've got quite the working relationship. I just hope he doesn't get taken from me!

Yeah, but a week after hiring him, I got invited to an interview with Bayern Munich. Am very tempted by them.......

On 29/07/2018 at 21:42, Snorks said:

Yeah, but a week after hiring him, I got invited to an interview with Bayern Munich. Am very tempted by them......

Could always take him with you?

12 hours ago, Neotropolis said:

Could always take him with you?

Yeah, I would try, but I think I'll get the 'I have only just signed a contract' response.

Anyway, Bayern decided I wasn't right for the job, but apparently I'm being linked with Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Yeah, I would try, but I think I'll get the 'I have only just signed a contract' response.

Anyway, Bayern decided I wasn't right for the job, but apparently I'm being linked with Liverpool.

I wouldn't take that job...but that's just me.

Honestly - I felt the same way. Having grown up at the other end of the East Lancs, BUT I have always wanted to try a Gegenpressy type of tactic just never had players for it.

Plus, if it fits the criteria for me in my challenge I should really take it if offered.

Archived