Who or what got you in to the football manager series?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VonBlade, the problem I am having is that when I try to load the game it says 'can not find LASORLOK in any drive'.

This is bringing back memories of why I stopped playing CM2 - I think the disc became to badly scratched for me to start the game.

If anyone can help then I would really appreciated it.

Currently trying to copy the hidden Lasorlok folder from the CD to my hard disc drive to see if that will work. So far, it's not looking good as the CD is chugging away. :(

Been playing since the original CM with no 'real' players in it on my Amiga 500, (anyone else remember that getting a half megabyte upgrade was a huge thing at the time?), been hooked since then, and have bought every incarnation of the game since.

Have to say that one of my favorites was CM93, there was a 4-2-1-3 formation that made your team unstoppable, and if you went Tranmere you got given like £37million to spend on players. Had many a great summer playing the game with my mates, played football from 9 till 5 every day, then have dinner, and then play the game with my mates in my room until god knows whay time in the morning..

CM/FM is responsible for stealing so much of my time and money, i don't grudge it. the money has mainly come from me having to buy a pc every few years to make sure i can still play it. Even now it's costing me money as I've invested in a new laptop in anticipation of this years game.

My old football team manager gave me a pirated copy of the very first version, he said it was crap becuause it didn't have real player names, this was shortly before cm 93 emerged, as soon as that came out I was in the shops buying it, never looked back since and bought almost every version. Befor Cm/FM I played premier manager on the amiga and prior to that it was soccer boss on the CPC oh and football manager 1,2 and 3 on the CPC too.

FM06 by my mates in school must of been in year 10, we would sit there on all the forums just going through all the beasts that we remember like Lebohang Mokoena, i usaed to think it looks boring and long with little dots until they was like signed this beastly 16 year old and then i made my sunday league team chucked them @ Spurs :D *my team* gave them reasonable stats didn't let the crap ones see the stats :p

I started with the very first CM on the Amiga in the early 90's having previously played Football Management games like the original Football Manager by Kevin Toms, The Boss, Tracksuit Manager and Football Director on the ZX81/Vic20/CBM64 from the early 80's onwards.

A couple of mates who I used to sit next to in English and Maths were constantly discussing how their CM2 saves were going. I never played CM2 myself (CM3 was my first), but I distinctly remember the editor was far easier to use back then, Gifton Noel-Williams was a legend and there was a bug that allowed you to get offered the job of managing "Free Transfer".

well. . . ive missed out the most :( i only started playing the series when i bought CM 05 for the ps2, because i was sick of having to play fifa and pes and always havin to play. then i got FM and ive never been happier xD

I used to sit on my dad's lap watching him on the 1998/99 game, when i was about 4, i always remember he was watford and was top of the hall of fame, ( do they still have that overall leaderboard between other players or just real life football managers), he played for 14 seasons, had zidane, ronaldo won the champo league and everything, started in div 3 i think, but i only started properly until 06 when a friend introduced me to it, and i never looked back since

I'm an American living in America but in the 90's friends I met on tour in europe turned me onto football. A German band from Kaiserslautern got me into that team the year they got promoted AND won the league. An English buddy got me into Man U (who I later rejected).

In the states there was little or no footy available to me on TV and if was going to learn more about the european game I was going to have to rely on the web which I did. I don't remember which site i was on but I think I accidentally clicked on the ad for CM00/01 but after having a look at it and realizing it would run on my Mac(!!), I ordered it, which presented its own set of problems as web commerce internationally was tricky at the time. Needless to say, I got it, played it and loved it. I took Hull to the Champions League that first game(they were in the old Div 2 then) and enjoyed a long campaign with Fulham who became my team in real life when they were promoted the next season. Since then footy has spread through the states like herpes and I've eagerly anticipated each new releases of the CM/FM franchise.

Archived