Shooting Problems

Bought FM few months back and the biggest issue with the new game is that players just shoot from anywhere I have a retain possession and work into box team instructions and have even set every payer bar my Striker to PI shoot less often yet still the same problems.

44 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

biggest issue with the new game is that players just shoot from anywhere

I'd agree it's an issue, but it's not a game-breaker. It's FM's way of telling your tactic isn't working.

45 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

I have a retain possession and work into box team instructions and have even set every payer bar my Striker to PI shoot less often yet still the same problems.

The TIs and PIs can help, but they don't address the real issue. If you use 'work ball into box' you still need players in good positions to offer a passing option. If you use 'retain possession' you still need players to offer a passing option. In other words, if your players having nothing available except a shot, then they're going to shoot.

Some roles are particularly problematical - IFs, especially on attack duty, will often shoot a lot; B2B midfielders similarly. I'm also convinced that as your team cohesion increases, the long shot issue becomes less significant because your players understand where their teammates are likely to be and who is making runs and where.

If you're still struggling, start a new thread in the tactics forum and post your system. You'll get a load of advice!

17 minutes ago, warlock said:

I'd agree it's an issue, but it's not a game-breaker. It's FM's way of telling your tactic isn't working.

The TIs and PIs can help, but they don't address the real issue. If you use 'work ball into box' you still need players in good positions to offer a passing option. If you use 'retain possession' you still need players to offer a passing option. In other words, if your players having nothing available except a shot, then they're going to shoot.

Some roles are particularly problematical - IFs, especially on attack duty, will often shoot a lot; B2B midfielders similarly. I'm also convinced that as your team cohesion increases, the long shot issue becomes less significant because your players understand where their teammates are likely to be and who is making runs and where.

If you're still struggling, start a new thread in the tactics forum and post your system. You'll get a load of advice!

Cheers mate good advice, only thing is the tactic is doing exactly what I want it to do its dominating the ball I am having lots of possession,creating chances so it was working in that regard. Just find the shooting problem a bit frustrating as I never play a striker with anything less than 13 finishing so would expect a few more goals. But I shall tweak a few things and see what happens.

32 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

the tactic is doing exactly what I want it to do its dominating the ball I am having lots of possession,creating chances

One thing to look for is what happens when you get up to their 18-yard line. Always useful to have at least a couple of players sitting deeper towards the halfway line (CMs, DMs, FBs) so you can recycle possession when you hit the wall. Try to tweak things so you're capable of dropping back and going again.

Part of the problem with FM is ... What something says isn't always what it means.

The "work ball into box" instruction is one example.

afaik it mostly causes your players to reduce passing length, and possibly a slower tempo too, but doesn't really influence movement on the pitch,

FM is littered with counter-intuitive terminology, misleading descriptions, double negatives and other similarly annoying items because for 'immersion purposes' it mirrors real world mindsets, conversations and other "football" stuff. 

Archived