Eligibility / Work Permit help!

I fully admit I do not understand the eligibility / work permit rules.  Just hoping someone can help me a little.  I am trying to sign a player who is Austrian, my club is playing in the Championship in England.  I get that if the player had caps for Austria, he'd instantly get a work permit.  He does have U21 caps, but no full caps.  He's currently 23 years old so I would guess he's unlikely to get any caps unless he can play some games at the club level.

What confuses me about this player is that he has trained in England his whole life.  I understand why he didn't need a work permit previously, he stayed at the same club and was effectively given an exception after Brexit.  However, when I look at his Eligibility, it says he has zero days to eligibility, with 2156 days completed.  Shouldn't that mean he no longer needs a work permit?

Help me understand.

It means he's eligible to become a UK citizen, but hasn't put in the paperwork to do so. It isn't automatic, the player has to apply for it. He'd probably do that if/when a UK team signed him. It's not guaranteed that he'd do that though, but I can't see any reason why he wouldn't if he couldn't get a work permit.

Archived