Database size.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. 

I was was just wondering what database size people use? I understand it’s about how much your computer can handle but I’ve also heard people mention that it can have an effect on the transfer windows etc. 

Was hoping to get some clarification on this. 

Thanks. 

I always used to use the biggest database available to make the best game, then a few years back players suggested that the best size for a competitive game was using a small database. I now do this & agree it is a lot better & makes the game more challenging, as there is a smaller pool of talent available for all the clubs to buy.

I've always used a large database, but as the thread linked above shows, I've been persuaded by a poster there to try small database. Haven't managed to make a save stick with small database size yet, but I'm eager to see if it makes things much harder when I'm playing as a "selling club" (in this case Ajax).

2 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I've always used a large database, but as the thread linked above shows, I've been persuaded by a poster there to try small database. Haven't managed to make a save stick with small database size yet, but I'm eager to see if it makes things much harder when I'm playing as a "selling club" (in this case Ajax).

It should make it easier as a selling club, particularly if you have players that clubs want to buy. Also, it should be harder to hold on to players if you are a smaller club, as the amount of suitable players in the pool is a lot less. From my experience you have more competition when buying players, pushing the price up.

For the most part if your computer can handle it you want to add leagues as playable rather than just increase the database size, as making the leagues active adds the players but also makes the clubs active in the transfer market. When adding leagues its generally a good idea to add ones that link together for example if you are playing in Ireland then you'd be better adding all English leagues instead of just the Premier League, but if you are playing in England you'd be fine just adding the Irish Prem.

If your computer cannot handle many leagues then you can use the advanced options to retain certain players which gives you more control rather than just selecting a larger database - if you are playing in the Premier League then having a load of non-league players loaded is less use than using the advanced options to retain players from teams involved in Europe.

I always choose the big 5 (England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany) with at least the top 2 divisions playable. I also go with ticking every nation in 'advanced' with players of national reputation.

If I'm playing in a different country, I will obviously have them ticked as well as the above. 

Archived