Improvements on stadium naming

llDracoll

The way new stadiums are named could be improved IMO. There is at least a pair of things that could be done to make it better:

1) Stadium naming conventions per country or region

Right now, new stadiums are all named with the same standards no matter where in the world they are; furthermore, they are often named in the game's current language instead of the country's language (or in english).

This leads to some... strange names depending on where the stadium is located. For example, River Plate from Argentina would never name a new stadium as "Ramón Díaz Stadium" or "Ramón Díaz Arena"; they'd name it "Estadio Ramón Díaz" or simply "Ramón Díaz". Similarly, a team in an italian-speaking country like San Giovanni wouldn't name their stadium as "San Giovanni Stadium", it instead being named to the likes of "Stadio San Giovanni".

On another hand, I've never seen stadiums being named after where the team is located. The "City of Manchester" stadium is a great example of this.

These conventions could be set in the editor.

2) Renaming stadiums

There are times where the board cannot think of a legend to name the new stadium after and pick the incredibly bland "<name of club> Stadium" name. Now, if for some reason you wanted to see the stadium have another name, you'd have to wait until the board decided to build a new stadium.

Under no circumnstances, no matter how great of a club legend has formed after the new stadium was built, the name won't be changed. Now, I understand stadium renaming is very uncommon IRL (Argentine team Newell's Old Boys renamed their stadium after Marcelo Bielsa some years ago) but it can indeed happen.

Stadium renaming could become a more interesting feature if (fictional) sponsors were added to the game instead of just being told they are there. Say, a team renaming their stadium after a sponsor to increase income (Barcelona being rumored to be going to do this is a fine example).

I agree that new stadiums should mostly follow the naming conventions in their countries, and that there should be more naming options besides "CLUB Stadium/Arena" or "LEGEND Stadium/Arena/Park".

Stadium sponsors will probably not be a viable option, not least because the sponsors SI could reasonably attract would potentially lead to some outlandish results. To paraphrase another user in another article in this sub-forum, I would cringe if I ever saw Real Madrid play home games at the "classicfootballshirts.co.uk Stadium".

Also, it is already possible to change a stadium name in-game (kinda) by using EDT files, as this tutorial explains. It's a good workaround if, say, you're managing Dag & Red, and your club moves to the Dag & Red Stadium.

• 3 months later...

Archived