Tactical advice for league 1

Hey all

I started an Argyle thread a while back as I was struggling massively. Now though I seem to have found a formation that's working for now, can any of you tactical geniuses advise if I can improve this tactic further for when the AI decides to kick me in the goolies, the other thing that would be helpful is so many of the shots this team have are off target, which obviously puts pressure on my defence to try and keep out the opposition.

tactic.thumb.jpg.25754e3ad5e6ab683f2a3e1fbf90aaf7.jpg

This the tactic which has taken me from 20th to 12 and only 8 points from the playoffs with just under half the season remaining, I have used Mcgahey as a BPD which worked well as he was consistenly 7.0 or above.

1546483753_teaminstructions.thumb.jpg.cbae66ba647d83ce3c3d078ecf12db92.jpg

These are the team instructions that I've kept for this tactic, my initial idea was to create some form of lower league gegenpressing, on the team report page it does say 1 of argyles strengths is a aggressive and committed squad which is what lead me to believe I could do some form of gegenpressing, don't think it has quite happened.

results.thumb.jpg.3a01fe1439cb799422e089ffeed232b3.jpg

these are the results from using this formation. As I said any help to improve this tactic to help me sustain this form would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

9 hours ago, green and white barmy army said:

any help to improve this tactic to help me sustain this form would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be honest here.  There may be some tactical tweaks you could pull off but the biggest single issue is your own expectation.

You're first season Plymouth Argyle.  You're relegation favourites which the Board are pretty much expecting.  And you're sitting 12th in February.  By any stretch of the imagination that's a fantastic season for you.  And you're talking about the playoffs.

Don't put so much pressure on yourself.  What you are trying to achieve now would be difficult enough if we had your save open in front of us, tweaking tactics during matches, keeping morale up, complacency down, managing your team talks and so on.  And you're asking how to do it in a forum thread.

You're trying to run before you can walk.  It's good to be ambitious but don't fall into the trap of "I've done so well now I if I can just sustain that form I'll get promoted".  Managing Argyle is a tough gig.  I know because I've been playing Argyle in FM18.  They're a club which has a lot of untapped potential but it's a long term project.  12th in season 1 is great - it's way beyond Board expectations and gives you a solid base to build on for season 2.

You already have a tactical system which is capable of over achieving.  If you didn't you wouldn't be 12th.  What you are lacking are players which are capable of taking you onto the next level.

Herne has absolutely right mate. Don't ask to much from your self and your team and don't  get disappointed. Always looks your board targets in every season because it has influence in your squad too (get complacent when achieve their expectations) step by step and you are going to be OK.. 

Thanks for the replies, I did survive just as I only won twice in my last 11 games. Don’t know what happen no formation worked or instructions just couldn’t buy a win, but thankfully I won the second to last game of the season to secure survival for another season. Now probably the biggest test is trying to actually improve next season, I do have 1.8 million transfer budget and plenty of scope in the wage budget to bring in players so hopefully I can find some players to improve my squad. Also if you start losing like I did towards the end of the season, would you change formation or player roles first?

I have see in many saves(mines too) having bad results after achieving board's goals and whatever i tried didn't worked just like you,maybe they relaxed too much.For me only if your bad results continues in next season or you don't like this playing style  you should change it.Untill then read some beautifull guides about tactics and training here and try to find out the the source of the problem if it still exists..:)

Archived