FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

Guest mikeytwigge

just been offered 11mill off city for barry so just shoved it up to 30 mill not expecting them to come back but they did so do you think i should accept 30million for him? also sold stuart taylor to arsenal for 1.5mill (patch 9.3 by the way)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What tactic are you using?

4-1-2-1-2, seemed to work mostly from longball(even though i had short passing on, alot of my goals were just rossi running quite far and then scoring awesome goals), as affelay was a major dissapointment in attacking midfield, EVERY time he started he had a below 6 rating at half time. It picked up in the second half but was still annoying that it happened time and time again for seemingly no reason

4-1-2-1-2, seemed to work mostly from longball(even though i had short passing on, alot of my goals were just rossi running quite far and then scoring awesome goals), as affelay was a major dissapointment in attacking midfield, EVERY time he started he had a below 6 rating at half time. It picked up in the second half but was still annoying that it happened time and time again for seemingly no reason

I might give it a try.

Im playing with one winger and ashley young making runs down the left when im attacking

but its leaving a massive area in my midfield which the other teams are dominating and making me concede to many goals.

Update-I'm on the 9.03 patch with 9.02 database.

First season finished 5th, a single point off the top 4, was gutting. Had an interesting summer with a lot of new players coming in including some immense regens.

Signed Cardozo for 8m, Sanchez for 6m, Faubert for 7m, Antunes for 2m and Veloso for 18m and Asenjo for 7m

First XI is:

Asenjo

Santon/Faubert

Cuellar

Davies

Mattock

Witsel

Veloso

Reo Coker

Sanchez

Young

Cardozo/Milevskyi

Young is an absolute beast, just won me my first trophy with a brace in the league cup final. Got 35 in the last 18 months and 40 assists.

Playing a 4-3-3, Reo Coker just sits and Veloso and Witsel spread the ball around.

5th at the minute but set a new club record unbeaten run...before losing 3 on the bounce

Just started a Villa game on 9.0.3

= Asked for more wage and transfer money - got both and put wage money into the transfer kitty too.

= OUT

Taylor - 2.2m

Baker - 500k

Harewood - 5m

Knight - 5m

Forrester - 1m

O'halloran - 500k

Albrighton - 750k

Barry - 40m

Brad Guzan - LOAN + 500k fee

Bouma - 3m

--------------------58m

= IN

Mattock = 2m

Zhirkov = 13m

Vagner Love = 13m

Saivet = 2m

Ochoa = 6m

Veloso = 11m

Srna = 12m

Zapata = 10m

--------------------59m

Also sorted out my staff and now have a good coaching team (spent around 2m hiring and firing)

Team looks very solid on paper and I'll be aiming for at least 4th place as an absoloute minimum.

Right 7/9/09

Players In

Vaclav Kadlec - Free

Matej Rapnik - Free

Henri Anier - 140k

Davide Santon - 1.7 mil

Robert Lewandowski - 1.1 mil

Vincent Enyeama - 220k

Peter Masilela - 325k

Sergey Krivets - 425k Total 3,9 mil

Players Out

Stuart Taylor - Chelski - 1.4 mil

Craig Gardner - Portsmouth - 4.7 mil

Harewood - Sunderland - 5.5 mil

Knight - Fulham - 4 mil Total 15.5 mil

Play a 4-2-3-1 formation rotating Heskey and Carew 11th after 3 games and qualified for next round of europe.

I have 8 mil to spend so any advice on who to get thats world class for that price.

Next update end of Jan 09

P.S. How do you post screenshots??

Right 7/9/09

Players In

Vaclav Kadlec - Free

Matej Rapnik - Free

Henri Anier - 140k

Davide Santon - 1.7 mil

Robert Lewandowski - 1.1 mil

Vincent Enyeama - 220k

Peter Masilela - 325k

Sergey Krivets - 425k Total 3,9 mil

Players Out

Stuart Taylor - Chelski - 1.4 mil

Craig Gardner - Portsmouth - 4.7 mil

Harewood - Sunderland - 5.5 mil

Knight - Fulham - 4 mil Total 15.5 mil

Play a 4-2-3-1 formation rotating Heskey and Carew 11th after 3 games and qualified for next round of europe.

I have 8 mil to spend so any advice on who to get thats world class for that price.

Next update end of Jan 09

P.S. How do you post screenshots??

You can get keirrison for that

Mikeee

Hope this helps;

IV. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

No one will buy the Villa players at all I just started a new game and its pretty annoying having players like Salifou, Bouma ,Sidwell who will just eat up wages as I aint intending on using them grrr. and tbh I think Ashley Young deserves a boost in stats cause hes been amazing this season.

I found this annoying. too

I managed to sell Sidwell in the january window

Bouma's going in the pre season of my second season and Salifou went to manchester city in january.

Lucky, I would do anything to sell those people and would accept anything over a million.

I've got 19 million which area should I improve you reckon?

I struggled at the start because of my strikers.

Come January i bought Pavel Pogrebnyak and my season kicked off from there.

So i'd say take alook at either

Pavel or Oscar Cardozo maybe a new left back aswell.

Thanks. Will have a look at Pavel, looks like he can be used with Agbalahor upfront.

Here's my squad approaching end of second season.

1st season > Finished 9th but with a League Cup. So UEFA for 2nd Season.

2nd season > 3rd round League Cup exit. On course for 3rd - 6th EPL. Semi Finals of UEFA Cup. Quarters of FA Cup.

GK > Asenjo/ Friedel/ Taylor

FB > Gardner/ Santon/ Bouma/ Mattock

CB > Cuellar/ Davies/ Laursen/ Haggui

DM > De Jong/ M'Bami

AM > Barry/ Borges

Wingers > Milner/ Routledge/ Young/ Aquino

ST > Keirrison/ Demba Ba/ Delfouneso/ Agbonlahor/ Sturridge

Have over 40m to spend. I am thinking about improving but then, I want to keep the old Villa squad intact as much as possible. I am thinking about re-signing Gary Cahill as Cuellar wants to leave me.

Keirrison has won the European Striker of the Year and World Player of the Year, which is funny as I was playing Agbonlahor and Demba Ba uptil that point. Now that he is 22m rated, I am wishing some big club will come and fetch him in the summer. :D

A regen coming up with a message "could be one of the best of his generation" and "inconsistent". He is a striker, so I think i'll cash in on Delfouneso and play him sparringly.

Any suggestions for my 3rd season?

kamikaze you should definately get some new scouts and a new assistant manager, i got paul mcguiness again he's always my choice as assistant manager :D Also your gonna have to spend a bit on a striker as neither carew or agbonlahor score enough and they seem to both be really good partners for a consistant goalscorer but not really for each other.

Id also like to add that after a bit of a rough start rossi and balotelli are really gelling and balotelli just assisted 2 goals in a 14 minute hatrick by rossi. And for gerrard i moved him back to central midfield put attacking and creativity up and gave him a free role and its really working hes playing just like he does for liverpool in real life.

Edit: Gerrard has scored 2 30-40 yard goal of the season contenders in one game. Against west brom aswell this will please the fans

agbonlahor did fine for me

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7239/gabby.jpg

08/09 - 21 goals total (i wasn't manager at the time)

09/10 - 33 goals total (season i took over following a good finish with blackburn and o'neil being sacked after exiting europe and van gaal sacked for 10th place finish)

10/11 - 32 goals total

11/12 - 29 goals total (didn't play as much as previous season as i was giving a promising back up striker a run in the side now and then)

12/13 - 10 goals total (his finishing dropped and got an italian wonderkid who is progressing nicely - http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8823/valente.jpg - pic is just after he joined on a free. now worth 34 million and is world class)

agbonlahor did fine for me

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7239/gabby.jpg

08/09 - 21 goals total (i wasn't manager at the time)

09/10 - 33 goals total (season i took over following a good finish with blackburn and o'neil being sacked after exiting europe and van gaal sacked for 10th place finish)

10/11 - 32 goals total

11/12 - 29 goals total (didn't play as much as previous season as i was giving a promising back up striker a run in the side now and then)

12/13 - 10 goals total (his finishing dropped and got an italian wonderkid who is progressing nicely - http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8823/valente.jpg - pic is just after he joined on a free. now worth 34 million and is world class)

Must just be me then, football manager can be wierd though, on fm08 i had an aston villa game where luke moore was amazing, but could never get him to be as good on any other game

Hey guys just starting a new villa game on 9.3, finally going to see how far i can get.

Out of interest what frmation does anyone recommend to start off with (default players, no transfers)?

Can anyone recommend a certain type to play away against the 'sky 4' ?

Help would be appreciated

If you're playing 9.0.3 you MUST get Vagner Love (12 in his first 8 games for me!)- He is imense beside agbonlahor, might be on eof the best partnerships I've seen in fm09 - having said that Carew is good for me too but often injured. Heskey's been naff :(

Vagner Love! - I spent 60m, have a look at my buys further up this page, i feel I've got an amazing squad and it;s fairly future proof

Considering getting beckham in january - bad idea?

I've only just started, but the board haveaccepted a 14.5 mil bid for reo-coker. I play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (1 dmc, 2 mc's) and was wondering if Petrov is capable of handling the dmc role? I was thinking of either spending the bulk of my transfer (15 mil) on either the dmc or mc position.

I've only just started, but the board haveaccepted a 14.5 mil bid for reo-coker. I play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (1 dmc, 2 mc's) and was wondering if Petrov is capable of handling the dmc role? I was thinking of either spending the bulk of my transfer (15 mil) on either the dmc or mc position.

I wouldn't play Petrov there he is more of a CM, than an out and out DM. You could try and bring in Veloso, Yussuf, Camacho, Zapater, Mohammed Sissoko and also Moussa Sissoko can become a great DM.

Right after a crash which corrupted my save game i had to start again!!!!

So 1st season:

In

Rapnik-Free, Vaclav-Free, Lewandowski 1.1, Anier 100k, Enyeama 220k, Camacho 8.5, Veloso 11.75, Krivets 450k, Sakho 8.5, Pandev 13.5, Masilela 240k, Srna 17.25, Matias Fernandez 10.5, Lambo-Free, Zuculini 500k

Out

Harewood-Sunderland-5.5(wtf), Gardner-Fulham-4.8, Knight-Fulham-5, Guzan-Heerveem-2.7, Barry-Man City-40, Petrov-Ajax-6.75, Taylor-Chelski-1.4, Gabby-Newc-8.5, Davies-Chelski-18(Board!!!)

Finished 8th in EPL which frustrated me, just couldn't string together some results, Final Euro lost 3-0 to Munich so no europe next year. Happy with my squad but since 9.3 i have found it hard to get good results agaisnt the big 5. Anyone else find this?

2nd Season

In

Guardado-22.5, Elano-6.25, Palacio-10.25, Borges-2.5, Schneirdlin-2.5

Out

Heskey-Sunderland-1.7, Bouma-Betis-4.1, Shorey-Bolton-3.4, Luke Young-Sunderland-5, Sidwell-Wigan-6.5

Mid November now and sittin in 5th and playing well. I really think now that a year out of Europe is gonna give me th time i need for this squad to gel. HAd to sell most of the players that were there at the start due to them seriuosly not being good enough, Also Scnierdlin has been my buy of the season so far....

Again as with 08 the AI seems to pick a team thats near most impossibleto beat, in 08 it was Arsenal who won nearly every game for 5 years now it seems Chelsea have that honour

Anyone know of a good tactic for Aston Villa in 9.3.0 ?? .. Just started a new game with them and going to stuck in with tactics etc but anyone know of a good proven and tested tactic for the mighty Villa ?? ..

Try knap's 9.0.3 one in the training and tactics forum. It's worked well with every team i've used it with.

Archived