FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

I used a 5-4-1 formation using 3 CB's (or 2 CB's and 1 DM), 2 WB's, 2 MC's, 2 WG's and 1 FC in 9.2.0 and got a fair bit of success. In 9.3.0 though i'm going to experiment with a asymmetrical system that I outlined above. I think that it fits the Villa players at the start of the game and new signings should be able to fit in easily. I'm going to build my tactic now, maybe I can upload it and you can test it out aswell?

Thanks mate, that would be good. Do you think 4-4-2 with a defensive mentality will work well

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't play Petrov there he is more of a CM, than an out and out DM. You could try and bring in Veloso, Yussuf, Camacho, Zapater, Mohammed Sissoko and also Moussa Sissoko can become a great DM.

Thanks for replying. In the end, I settled on brining in Kuzmanović, who was fantasic in my old Fiorentina save (and only cost me 5 million!). I'll keep Petrov for dmc for now, and hopefully bring in a better dmc in january.

I'm looking for a striker, I want a striker better than the ones villa already have and i've got a balance of 15 million so who to get? Any suggestions I've got a few ideas but just wana see if I've missed out anyone (I'm currently stuck between Pavel, Oscar Cardozo and Lavezzi who would bbe the better? Any suggestions appreciated.

Just what ever you do anyone DON'T sell Barry unless your balence is over 20 mil in the red I sold him bought loads of CM's but none of them stood out barry is the best player you could get. New players tend to not fit in with the squad, excluding vagner love lol, so whatever you do DON'T SELL BARRY!!!!!

I got love for £13m, I got Veloso for 11m after selling Barry, he has slotted straight into my squad and has been amazing so far - granted barry was great but with the 40m you cna build a league winnign team.

Just what ever you do anyone DON'T sell Barry unless your balence is over 20 mil in the red I sold him bought loads of CM's but none of them stood out barry is the best player you could get. New players tend to not fit in with the squad, excluding vagner love lol, so whatever you do DON'T SELL BARRY!!!!!

I beg to differ, i sold barry and didnt miss him at all, both my seasons so far have been pretty succesful

1st season, 7th in EPL, Carling cup final, uefa cup semi final, Won the FA cup

2nd Season, 3rd in EPL, Carling cup quarter final, uefa cup quarter final, knocked out FA cup straight away(typical)

and the 20m i got for barry helped make the team mine

Thanks for replying. In the end, I settled on brining in Kuzmanović, who was fantasic in my old Fiorentina save (and only cost me 5 million!). I'll keep Petrov for dmc for now, and hopefully bring in a better dmc in january.

fair enough mate, Kuzmanovic is very good for £5m great deal.

playings with Villa.... it is a must to sell carew and get in Artem Milevskyi & David beckham... yeah yeah he is old or whatever, but apart from pace, his stats never go down. Against lesser teams Gabby will draw MANY fouls around the area.... in my first year beckham was named in world team of the year ahead of Messi

Is Ashley Young as effective playing on the right? Because I've bought M.Fernandez and he lpays only on the left so I've slotted him there put Milner on the bench and put Ashley on the left. Will that hnder his performances seeig as he's been amazing for me so far?

Hey guys, I am about to start a villa game on the new patch 9.03 as my plymouth one is finally coming to an end!

Just wondered if any1 could help me with who definately i need to get rid of, any staff, good youth etc etc. Any help would be appreciated. Also hows the reputation of the club, is there any chance of getting world class players over.

cheers

Just played 3 games in the prem , w1 d1 l1

Just my luck that i had chelsea, arsenal and everton as my opening fixtures.

Lost to chelsea away 2-1, scored what i thought was a 95th min equaliser but noooooo, anelka had to go and score a 30 yarder in the 96th min (wtf)!!!

Drew 2-2 to arsenal, in a game which i must have had like 50 shots. It was absolutely ridiculous i annihiliated them ,but almunia was playing like terminator. dont know how i managed to go in at half time 2-0 down, gave my players a big kicking, told them theyre all crap lol, they went into the second half berserk and running all over the arsenal

Beat evertron 2-0 away, got my tactics spot on, 2 goals from counter attacks, had also like 60-40 poss.

This patch is quite good i must admit

played 23 Im 2nd in my first season on the new patch here are my transfers so far AstonVilla.jpg got through to the 1st knockouts of the uefa cup currently 7 points behind leaders man utd who look uncatchable at this point. Ill post back after the season has ended. Currently Im using a 4222 tactic with the AML and AMC arrowed up to strikers

Is Ashley Young as effective playing on the right? Because I've bought M.Fernandez and he lpays only on the left so I've slotted him there put Milner on the bench and put Ashley on the left. Will that hnder his performances seeig as he's been amazing for me so far?

Ive put ashley young on the right quite a few times and his performances seem just as good there.

Hey guys, I am about to start a villa game on the new patch 9.03 as my plymouth one is finally coming to an end!

Just wondered if any1 could help me with who definately i need to get rid of, any staff, good youth etc etc. Any help would be appreciated. Also hows the reputation of the club, is there any chance of getting world class players over.

cheers

beckham

fleck

mattock

these are essential for me...

and once beckham comes in (usually around the 6 mil mark) your teams rep will increase, which makes more world class players want to join

get rid of harewood (4 mil+) , petrov (5mil), knight (4mil), s.taylor (2mil)

bring in massimo neri as ass man

Jan window, have been offered 21m for Cuellar & have had a bid of 8m accepted for Sakho - Cuellar isn't bad by any means, but Sakho is the clear choice long term, now just gotta complete the sale before the buy goes through :)

I am having an absolutely immense season so far. Coming to the end of Jan 3rd season, 8 points clear with the best strikeforce and an incredible defense. In the summer I added Fazio for 16m-he's a rock, Garay for 4m who got annoyd so I sold him on in Jan for 7m replacing him with Aubey for a cool 1m. Signed a regen striker for 18m in January, looks very promising aswell as Kuzmanovic for 12m, coulldnt turn that down.

Asenjo

Santon

Cuellar/Davies

Fazio

Mattock/Antunes

Veloso

Witsel

Kuzmanovic

Alexis Sanchez

Milevskyi/Cardozo/Sole

I've also got Defour, Barry, Reo-Coker, Gabby, Jankovic, Fauber, Enyeama aswell as some very promising youth.

Topped my CL group on GD ahead of Roma and Valencia-was delighted. Lost my League Cup crown but have bigger fish to fry this season

I started a new Villa save and I'm making a desperate plea for help. My approach when I start with Villa is to bring in good young players knowing that it will be a few years until the investment pays off. With that transfer strategy in mind I brought in Sakho, Fleck, Saivet, and Asenjo. I have retained all of Villa's current starting 11 with the exception of Knight.

I am on 9.3.0 patch and 23 games into the first season. I am currently mired in 10th place with as many losses as wins. I know this team is better than a 10th place team so my assumption is that the problem lies with me and likely my tactics. I am not expecting to win the league with this team but I shouldn't be losing to the caliber of teams that I currently am.

I am currently using a 442 set of tactics that I created based on the TT&F O'Neil mentality. I guess I am looking for tactical advice as what I am currently doing isn't working. What is the best tactic to use with Villa's current team? I sure would appreciate any help and advice that you may be able to share as my current enjoyment level has dipped to the point that I feel an extended break from FM coming on. This game shouldn't be so hard to derive enjoyment from.

Have you tried going more defensive? I usually play defensively on the counter attack for the first couple of seasons until i've got a squad capable of playing more adventurously. I usually play one of these formations to start with, with a defensive mentality:

..................GK...................... .....................GK...................... .....................GK......................

DR.......DC...........DC...........DL ........DC.........DC..........DC........ ..............DC...........DC..............

..................DM..................... WBR...................................WBL WBR...............DM................WBL

..........MCa...........MC............. ............MCa...........MC............. ...........MCa...........MCd.............

AMR................................AML AMR...................................AML AMR...................................AML

..................FC..................... .....................FC..................... ....................FC.......................

You may be on to something there. I have been leaking goals. I think I will try putting a DM in front of the back 4. Thanks for the advice.

Just started a new game with Villa as I like to play a game with Villa on each FM.

Was mainly going to use the game to try out some new formations. Trying out a 2-3-2-3 at the mo and played one friendly winning it 9-0 agaisnt Hibernian. Young getting my first ever 10 rating!

Few screenies of how my formation lines up and a few on the friendly game...

2zeh5yf.png

Player ratings:

http://i42.tinypic.com/xm5xxh.png

Match Stats:

http://i42.tinypic.com/vwprat.png

got a few nights to spare, while having a short break from my main long term save with Lyon, and going with the team i support - villa. I have a rough idea of whats needed (another striker, winger *left+right* and a RB), also know who to sell mainly (taylor, harewood, salifou, barry *if i can get 30m*

Is there any clear players who can fit the following positions on the small budget you get;

striker,

AMR

AML *can be same person as AMR*

and a RB.

That should get me through the first season

got a few nights to spare, while having a short break from my main long term save with Lyon, and going with the team i support - villa. I have a rough idea of whats needed (another striker, winger *left+right* and a RB), also know who to sell mainly (taylor, harewood, salifou, barry *if i can get 30m*

Is there any clear players who can fit the following positions on the small budget you get;

striker,

AMR

AML *can be same person as AMR*

and a RB.

That should get me through the first season

have a look at Andrés D'Alessandro - can play AMRLC and centre mid. i got him for 4.5 million in the second season

I finished season 1 in 3rd place and got the champions league spot and now every single player wants to move to bigger clubs. I can see Im gonna have some troubles holding on to some of the team as they all complaining. given 37m 2nd season so off to buy players who wanna play for me will report back soon

i asked this question but got no answer so here goes again.

has anyone managed to get a new stadium yet with villa - if so how long did it take?

I think most of us restarted in 9.0.3 and simply havn't got that far now. A stadium is usually entirely dependant on attendance and your finances though - £200+ million in the bank normaly does it.

With the new patch I was looking for a new challenge. So here I am :)

Almost finished my transfers. Here is what i got so far:

IN

Vagner Love £15M

David Beckham £4.8M

John Fleck £2.8M

OUT

Marlon Harewood £8M

Mustapha Salifou £1.6M

Stiliyan Petrov £8M

Still have ~£4M left and try to bring in Joe Mattock. Still looking to offload John Carew but no club wants him.

IN

Vagner Love £15M

David Beckham £4.8M

John Fleck £2.8M

OUT

Marlon Harewood £8M

Mustapha Salifou £1.6M

Stiliyan Petrov £8M

Still have ~£4M left and try to bring in Joe Mattock. Still looking to offload John Carew but no club wants him.

-Great sales, I only got £3m for petrov, £5m for harewood, and £0 for salifou.

-You can sell Barry for at least 40M upfront to ManCity, you can prob get more if you're brave and ask for it.

-Remmber that you'll get given about another 20m in November by the board too if you're doing alright die to the clubs 'strong financial situation'.

-I got 8m for Carew in Jan from some french side - he went on to score 18 in 10 apps for them :O

-There's some decentish reserves that are worth a fair bit, just always ask for about half price and they'll sell, why not, very few of them have a future.

I think most of us restarted in 9.0.3 and simply havn't got that far now. A stadium is usually entirely dependant on attendance and your finances though - £200+ million in the bank normaly does it.

ah ok got the attendance - 54500 average. sorta wish i hadn't gone on a 50 million spree in the summer. reduced my balance to 70 million but ah well selling some unwanted players in january should help some what

Im halfway through teh season, im 8th but the top 8 positions are so tight, anyone can finish anywhere

Is it me or is James Milner not playing well unless you criticise him?

I signed Defoe for 20m and sold harewood to sunderland for 1.5 m

Minimal Fuss: I would have never dared to ask for £8m for Harewood but Josh mentioned it here that he could sold for that price so I tried it. All my sales are 24 months deals. I don't know if that's the reason why I got decent prices. ;) And even if I could get 40m for Barry I have no plans on selling him since I want to keep a mainly british squad and I doubt I could get a good replacement for Barry.

Completed the signing of Joe Mattock for right before the transfer window closed so I am sorted - at least till January. Start of the season was mediocre, drew 2-2 to Boro at Villa Park, thumped West Brom 5-0 in another home game and finally got another draw (1-1) at St. James Park despite being the better team.

In Europe I reached the 1st round of the UEFA Euro League against Red Bull Salzburg.

Having finally downloaded the 9.3 patch I've decided to start a game as my beloved Villa. Finally some of the players seem to have got the credit they deserve on this patch :D

My transfers loook like this so far:

INS

Miguel Veloso - £11.75m (Sporting)

Alexis Sanchez - £5m (Udinese)

Oscar Cardozo - £5m (Benfica)

Emilio Insua - £4.5m (Liverpool)

John Fleck - £2m (Rangers)

Alberto Paloschi - £200k (Parma/AC Milan)

OUTS

Stiliyan Petrov - £8m (Man C)

Marlon Harewood - £7.5m (Sunderland)

John Carew - £6.75m (Blackburn)

Zat Knight - £5m (Fulham)

I am also trying to offload Taylor & Salifou.

As you can see i've gone for youth rather than experience, so i'm not really expecting too much this season (would settle for scraping into Europe). However, if I can keep the players together for a few years it should be a good side. I'm just missing a good young DC but have run out of money :(. If I get some more budget (bank balance is very healthy as most of the players have been brought in on instalments) I will be looking at Sakho or Leo.

My team now looks like this:

GK - Friedel / Guzan

DR - L Young / Gardner

DL - Insua / Shorey

DC - Laursen / Cuellar / Davies

MC - Barry / Reo-Coker (holding role)

MC - Veloso / Sidwell

AMR - Milner / Sanchez

AML - A Young / Fleck

ST - Cardozo / Gabby / Heskey / Paloschi

I have also revamped my coaching set up and now have 5*/6* coaches for all aspects of training. Also brought in two top quality physio's, which just leaves the scouts to sort out now.

My first couple of games saw me narrowly win the Intertoto Cup against Rosenborg (3-1 away, 1-2 home). I have been given an easy draw in the UEFA Cup against a side i've never heard of (Siroki Brijeg):D

i'm just wandering: do you offer Barry out for £40m or wait for Man City to come in with an offer/approach? because when i offer him out, i only get loan bids coming in.

The only offer I had was from Man U for about £10m :(

Just played a pre-season friendly. My 1st XI played the first half and we were 3-0 up, then I brought my back-up's on and they proceeded to win the second half 9-0 :D

EupenvAstonVilla.png

It's also the most one sided game i've ever played on FM :eek:

EupenvAstonVilla-2.png

What tactic are you using Spike? I am ten games into the first season but still struggling. Haven't won since three games (1-2 to Spurs, 0-1 Chelsea, 1-1 ManU) and hope to turn things around in the following games against West Ham and Stoke.

Archived