FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

Just finished my first season ended up 3rd but was in 2nd for the last game but lost to Hull away:mad:

Arsenal 1st 92pts

Man Utd 2nd 89 pts

Aston villa 3rd 88pts 27-7-4 goals scored 87 goals against 41

Won the league cup win over Chelsea in the finals was great 4-1 Love 2, Milevskyi 2.

Won the Euro cup with a win over Valencia 3-0 Love 3 goals. Not really deserved but a win is win.

Chelsea beat in the FA cup finals on pens, Anelka equalised on 92 min then and won 5-4 in pens :( little disappointed.

My signings played well over the season in most part

Zhirkov 57 games 11 goals 47 asts 7.42 avr

Love 54 games 39 goals 14 asts 7.36 avr

Milevskyi 57(2) 35 goals 19 asts 7.15 avr

Srna 30 games 1 goal 2 asts 7.03 avr

Fazio 30 games 9 goals 1 asts 7.42 avr

Zapata 21 games 0 goals 0 asts 7.06 avr

moutinho 51(1) 13 goals 14 asts 7.32 avr

Other players that performed well

agbonlahor 31(17) 21 goals 11 asts 7.18 avr

Laursen 39(3) 17 goals 1 asts 7.34 avr

Reo-Coker 60(1) 6 goals 8 asts 7.19 avr

Ashley Young 56(3) 11 goals 27 asts 7.28 avr

All in all a very good season, now I have to start preparing for the new season and find out what players to buy for it. :thup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent season... I'd only ever dream of a quarter of that success in my whole career at Villa Park:P

I never do well in England.. I can win everywhere else except England.

Just a querie (out of confusion)

You had what Aston Villa Fans, and maybe football fans everywhere, would consider a 'DREAM SEASON'.

Exceeding your expectations by that much ought to be near impossible.

I want to know why you would say this:

All in all a very good season, now I have to start preparing for the new season and find out what players to buy for it. :thup:

Your current team are obviously playing excellent with each other and you obviously have decent players backing your squad up.

If I was playing on your squad and heard you say this, I'd be worried about my spot on the squad.

I will admit that maybe bringing in 1-2 players to assist with the Champions Cup maybe a good idea,

but i'm guessing you'll be looking at more than that (going by last seasons buys).

If I am wrong then I apologise if there was offence taken to your management style.

Well the reason I said it was a very good season is because I think if i would start it all over I could have done better. I think I made mistakes in the first transfer window in not buying better players for my defence. My team looked much better after I took in Srna, fazio and zapata.

I have always done well in England and with the money I had I wasnt really surprised at how well I had done, pretty much expected to me in the top 4 to start with.

Also didnt want to sound full off myself by saying I had a dream season in 3rd place :)

And you were right I was looking for more then just 1-2 players for next season:p

And just to update on my game I have brought in some players.

Wiese 14m

Baines 10m

Van der Vaart 7m

Benzema 32.5m

And the only player I sold in my first team was Milevskyi for 19.5m to Roma

I have had a crazy bid for Zhirkov which i have turned down (41m from barcelona)

I saw you brought in Hulk in your game how is he? I liked his stats but dont really trust him dont know why.

Hulk is a bit jittery at first, but that could be due to adapting to the tactics etc...

Just started my first season...He scored in the first match against Reading, &

he scored in the game against Stoke, so far hes 2 goals in 2 games.

Man of the Match in both games, both rating 7.5

He should do quite well this season

Thing are looking good for us in our 2 season after 25 games now we are 2nd with 58 pts goals scored 58 against 20. 17-7-1

We are in the last 16 in CL after being in group with Villareal , Milan and Lokom moscow.

Finished 2nd after Milan. Fiorentina is my next oppnent in the CL

I sold Milner for 10m just help my bank balance a bit as I was in the red because the board decided to expanded which I was very happy with just made a little mistake in not checking my balance before I spent big.

Just lost to Arsenal in the semis of the league cup 3-1 on agg.

Just 4 points behind Chelsea :thup:

4 games left of the season, the league is very close.

Chelsea 81

Villa 80

Arsenal 79

The games I have left are Chelsea away, Hull away, West Ham away and Portmouth at home.

I am not to confident of winning the title with those games left.

Just knocked Milan out of the CL 4-3 on agg so I am in the semis.

Next up FA cup semi final against Liverpool :)

Edit: little update just beat Liverpool 1-0 Benzema in the 83rd min

i am going to start a game with villa. i already know i am going to need one pacey striker. i am thinking bout lavezzi because you can get him for 2.5 mil or under. but can anybody reccomend anyone else who is a lot better, even if they are a bit more expensive? lots of people sign beckham but i just keep him at ac milan.

Well i have must have started about 8 villa seasons so far and all have been rubbish i buy about 5 new players and they obv go in first team straight away and my team looks great but it comes to the matches and were poor away i mean pathetic and at home we are just as bad all i do with the tatics is put the mentality up to attacking and have couter attacking on for evey home match and for away matces i just put it back doen to the middle. should i wait for next season until my team starts to play because i have never seen sho much **** in my life we get dominated all the time i just played spurs and they had 25 shots to my 7 and i set the mentality to attacking. Any Help will be helpful

I'm just about to start the pre-season fixtures in my second season. I brought in Hulk to replace Harewood and Heskey and..wow, he is absolutely fantastic in both the one-top role and alongside a pacey striker (Agbonlahor in this case). Granted, it's only pre-season games, but i'm hoping for good things to come from him :)

An update to my earlier dmc situtation, if anyone is interested; I loaned Arturo Vidal from Leverkusen just before the first transfer window closed in my first season. He was great in that role, but they wanted about 7 million for him in the end, so I had to let him leave. I brought in Zuculini though, after hearing some good things about him, so hopefully he'll develop into an equally good player

Im a few games into my 4th season at villa park on the 9.3 update. Sitting 3rd after 7 games and Im the only side not to lose yet. Hopefully this will be the season I break into the top 4. Finished 5th last season which was dissapointing cause I was on for 4th and got 2 0-0 draws which let liverpool move away from me. Won the Euro Cup in my second season whch is my only acheivmnet to date. If someone tells me how I will put up a screenshot of my squad.

Pebder88 ;

IV. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Now I have played 5 seasons with villa just starting my 6.

in my 2 season I finished 2 in the league, won the FA cup.

3 season I won it all. League cup win over portsmouth 4-2,FA cup win over Chelsea 1-0, CL win over Valencia 2-1 and league finished with 90 pts.

4 season lost to Real in the semis of the CL but won the league (90 pts) ,lost in the FA cup final and won the league cup.

5 season won the league (95 pts) and won the league cup, but lost in the FA cup finals and CL final in OT :( I am still getting over it.

It was funny in season 3 I bought Berbatov for 13m and M Gómez for 23.5 and sold Vagner Love for 40m. And i Jan window I got offers for Berbatov 26m so I sold him and got offered 49m for M Gómez for barcelona so I sold him also. Almost forgot sold A Young for 24m too.

It was crazy. So I bought Laurito and Cavani.

Just approaching middle of second season (had some computer troubles:P)

Currently sitting in 2nd behind Man U by 1pt. Great work when considering I came 12th in my first season:D.

Hulk has scored 12 league goals in 13 games averaging 7.55.

So far this season I've made quite a few transfer changes but nothing major to the first XI

TRANSFERS IN

Elano (£5,000,000) Man City

Marek Suchy (£1,300,000) Slavia Prague

Benedikt Howedes (£7,5000,000) Schalke

Andy van der Meyde (Free Transfer) just making numbers in the reserve squad, hehehe

Jordan Spence (£350,000) West Ham

Jonjo Shelvey (£100,000) Charlton

Jason Steele (£75,000) Middlesbrough

And I also brought in a whole bunch of regens

Bjorn Tore Solli (£150,000) Odd

Helmut Bandion (£250,000) Sport Recife

Murphy Nwankwo (£10,000) Man City

Joop Bergsma (£100,000) Sparta

TRANSFERS OUT

Wilfred Bouma (£5,000,000) Everton

Brad Guzan (£2,500,000) Cagliari

David Beckham (£9,250,000) Real Madrid

Emile Heskey (£2,100,000) Everton

On Loan I have sent out:

Isiah Osbourne - Bolton (7.08)

Mohammed Fellah - Reading (6.70)

Zat Knight - Portsmouth (6.38)

In January I currently have:

Coming in: Matias Fernandez (£12,000,000) Olympic de Marseille

Going Out: James Milner (£12,500,000) Sunderland

So far I feel like I'm doing quite well...

Hopefully I can continue it into the new year

as that's where it all went down hill last season...

Good to see you're still dominating Arrman99

still making alot of money off of quick sales, yeah.

Good to see alot more people picking up thier Villa games too

You have no real Villa players left :O.

Has anyone found that Reo-Coker and Barry play really well together compared to Barry and Petrov?

Barry and Petrov just can't get things together for me in the midfield but with Reo-coker and Barry they play really well.

Yeah, I found that. Both good as a central pair or in a trio (Barry & another either side of Reo-coker).

Just about to finish my first season on the 3rd patch and quite pleased with myself : )

Was in the top 4 untill Feb sometime when the league games started to go wrong and I'm now down around 8th. Got kicked straight out of the league cup with a very dissapointing loss on penalties to Bolton. Got knocked out of the FA cup by Everton in the semi-final, but my crowning glory is my 6-5 semi final victory over AC Milan in the EURO cup winning the second leg 5-2.

Woo! Won the EURO cup 2-1 against Olympique de Marseille. Oh and finished 8th

Yeah, I found that. Both good as a central pair or in a trio (Barry & another either side of Reo-coker).

I brought in Beckham after I sold Reo-Coker, he played well with Barry. then I sold him to Real Madrid..

Now I'm rotating Elano, Petrov & Appiah.

I'll probably sell off Cuellar in January as he's constantly annoying me about wanting to move to a bigger club..

But I'll wait until I know if I can get Anderson MArtins approved for a Work Permit

I brought in Beckham after I sold Reo-Coker, he played well with Barry. then I sold him to Real Madrid..

Now I'm rotating Elano, Petrov & Appiah.

I'll probably sell off Cuellar in January as he's constantly annoying me about wanting to move to a bigger club..

But I'll wait until I know if I can get Anderson MArtins approved for a Work Permit

Yeah, the big Spaniard is doing that to me also. Wanted out in the Jan window in season 1, but I've resisted so far. Might let him go at the end of season 2 and cash-in. Be a pity, as he's working well in a back 3 with Davies & Jagielka, but I could do with some money coming in.

Im just in January of season 2 and Money is no problem.... I have £45,000,000..

I'm not too sure how it got that high... AV just might like giving me money

I sold Gabbie for about 15 mill but brought Hulk for 15 mil

Sold milner for 12.5 & brought fernadez for 12'so I'm spending what I sell:P

So what they give me...I save :D

Ok so I've just started with a Villa save on 9.3.0

Transfers IN:

Carlos Vela - £8m

Phil Jagielka - £6m

Jack Collinson - £3.5m

Transfers OUT:

Nigel Reo-coker - £10m

Carlos Cuellar - loan for £2m (option to purchase for £6.25m)

Craig Gardner - £4m

John Carew - £6.75m

I'm playing a 4-2-2-2 formation, with Ashely Young (AML), James Milner (AMR), Carlos Vela (ST) and Gabby Agbonlahor (ST) all having their instructions set to alternate their playing positions among each other.

Jagielka wasn't really a necessary purchase but I like playing as english as I can. Collinson I am a huge fan of IRL and it turns out the scouts love him too so I will see how that goes. Reo-coker was sold as Man City met his ridiculous over pricing.

Future purchases may involved Michael Johnson (Man C) and Kevin Davies (Bolton) pending on how they progress to January.

Nice sales you have there Wilson, would have given you a nice bit of coin.

Some nice purchases...

I'll agree that Jagielka wasn't necessary but still nice to have, I guess you could sell of Laursen if you needed to.

Just a bit of caution... You will get hounded for your best players...and I mean HOUNDED, it's so annoying.

I came 12th in my 1st seaon and was still being hounded.. sheesh

Nice sales you have there Wilson, would have given you a nice bit of coin.

Some nice purchases...

I'll agree that Jagielka wasn't necessary but still nice to have, I guess you could sell of Laursen if you needed to.

Just a bit of caution... You will get hounded for your best players...and I mean HOUNDED, it's so annoying.

I came 12th in my 1st seaon and was still being hounded.. sheesh

Thanks for the advice mate, what are the board like? easy to accept offers over my head or quite resilient about silly offers?

I haven't had them accept any of mine yet...althoguh the best I have had is £14-15 mill for Barry, A.Young

and £18 mill for Hulk

I sold Gabbie for £15 but that was my choosing..

The board seem to like givinign you money though, i notced, so the board seem pretty good.

They upgraded my stadium at the start of season 2 so that was nice too...

OK after hours of going backwards and forwards from the computer I have finally managed to get through January:P

Transfers Out

• James Milner (£12,500,000) Sunderland
  • Carlos Cuellar (£10,000,000) Tottenham
  • Marlon Harewood (£5,000,000) Norwich
  • Stuart Taylor (£2,000,000) Sunderland

Transfers In

• Matias Fernandez (£12,000,000) Olympique de Marsielle
  • Anderson Martins (£6,000,000) Vitoria

Injuries

A couple of big injuries may set us back

• Hulk (Torn Calf Muscle) 2-3 months
  • Elano (Sprained Ankle) 2-3 weeks

Competitions

• League Cup - Lost in Semi-Final to Manchester United 7-4 aggregate
  • FA Cup - Currently in 5th Round to face Chelsea
  • Premiership - Currently in first (cue screenie)

2webdx1.jpg

The only loss so far was 2-1 away to Man Utd back in September

but we won the return match just a couple of weeks ago:D

Looking forward to finishing the season to see how we end up...

Of course the downside is that I'll have to worry about Europe again :confused:

not the worst of downsides mate ;-)

So far after 6 games I'm 3rd. A draw away at Man Utd and a 1-0 win at Anfield over Liverpool (albeit a weakened 11 by them featuring no Gerrard or Torres for no apparent reason) have been the highlights so far.

Agbonlahor has been sensational, bagging 6 in 6. Vela is showing signs of his quality with a couple of brilliant finishes, 2 in for 3 for him and the young player of the month award.

Injury wise both Milner and A.Young have been sidelined. Fortunately Vela can play in the AM wide role (Which I set up to replicate my strikers instructions so they function as secondary strikers), however I will need to look at cover for this position.

To me Europe is the Downside... I blame it fully for my poor finish last season..

(even if 3 of my last 4 matches were all away to Man U, Chelsea & Arsenal)

I focused way too much on getting to the 2nd knockout phase of the Euro Cup

(A personal best :( i might add)

I totally ignored my domestic duties... but look how much better I've done without Europe as a distraction.

Upside... The qualification just might be enough to convince my top players to stay and compete at the top continental level.

Unlucky having both your Wingers out, You could also use Agbonlahor on the Right wing...

but then you'll need sufficient cover for your strikers :p

Maybe try someone yuong to fill in a spot...

I used Wijnaldum from day 1 as the cover winger. He's great on both...

but now he's pretty much a starting striker with Hulk :D

Kinda of like a reverse Gudjohnsen... (going from FC - AM)

Hmmmm... I might look into getting him back to England.. should be a couple of millie.

The manager of the month award curse hit. After an impressive opening month we then crashed to Portsmouth and Newcastle but have bounced back with back to back wins over Hull and Tottenham.

Agbonlahor is incredible and without him, I would be 9 goals lighter (10 games into premier). He has taken up my advice to learn "beat the offside trap".

The board have just handed me £17m additional transfer funds, so I will have a browse at what opportunities could come my way in January.

We have done fantastic against the "top 4", 0-0 at old trafford, 1-0 win at anfield, 2-2 draw at stamford bridge and a 1-0 win at the emirates :)

Ok, i have a problem. Ive just started my first season as Villa on the latest patch. I had £12million budget and ive signed Santon from Inter for 875k and Diogo from Sao Paulo for 500k. Ive also sold Harewood for 3.5mill which leaves me with 14.5million. I can get Defour for 13million but i don't know if i should. Im pretty happy with Heskey, Carew, Agbonlahor and Delfouneso upfront so i dont think i need to improve there.

Im currently playing a 4-3-2-1 formation as Villa use IRL. Should i sign Defour and just leave the rest of the team alone. Or should i buy cheaper players to improve other areas?

Also i have the option of selling Barry to Man City for £30million if that is worth doing. Im not sure if i want to let him go though.. especially to a rival team.

30million for barry seems quite alot , personally i might sell him as you have petrov,reo-coker & sidwell who can play there you could sign alot more players as you would have a budget of 44million then , maybe sign defour as he is a good and cheap replacement if you wish to get another CM

i think if you sell barry you might need another CM , if your going to plauy 4-3-2-1 formation i think you could do better with fullbacks , i dont know about taylor or guzan as a back up keeper to , so you might want to sign someone as cover/ come 1st team next season , the aquad as good strikers but wether they will be prolific of not is a case of seeing how they do.

Signed:

Davide Santon - £1.3M

Miguel Veloso - £13.5M

Joao Moutinho - £13.5M

Diogo - £750K

John Fleck - £2.2M

Oscar Cardozo - £5.5M

Sergio Asenjo - £8.25M

Phil Jagielka - £6M

Sold:

Gareth Barry - £40M

Zat Knight - £3.5M

Marlon Harewood - £3M

I think im pretty much sorted for the summer transfers. Ive got about £10Million left and ive lined up Wijnaldum for £6M. He would help cover both wings and is a good prospect for the future, but im not sure if i should save the final 10M for january incase anything goes wrong. This could include a serious injury or if i need to bring someone in because im not scoring enough, or conceding too many. Any thoughts on what i should do?

Tweaked

I would definitely wait until January before I do anything else.

That should give your players to gel to each other and to the tactics..

With so many, by the looks of things, changes to your first team.. gelling may be your main problem.

Probably more due to language barriers etc..

By January you should have a fair idea of where your squad is at, but in saying that,

you don't want to make drastic changes then either.

You have made some good buys there, (I only know them by rep, haven't had experience with any of them:P)

And great work on making £40,000,000 for Barry, I've had £20,000,000 offered but turned it down...

I'd maybe look at loaning out a few youngsters like Delfouneso to Championship clubs to get 1st team football...

I had him at Forest in season 2 and he played in 20 odd games and scored about 10-15 so he's doing well there.

I loaned out a couple of others but can't remember who else.

maxduke

Good to see you on board, Let us know how you get on with your transfers and game in general.

I just finished season 2 last night so I'll Try put something up about that while I'm here.

I'll upload if someone tells me how (sorry, not big on the PC technical stuff:confused:). Anyway, my settings for the 5-3-2 (notches from extreme left to extreme right) are;

Team Mentality -- 17/20

Creative F/dom -- 0/20

Passing ---------- 0/20

Tempo -----------10/20*

Width ------------10/20*

Clos/Down --------15/20

Time Waste ------3/20*

Def Line ----------3/20

Tackling --------'Normal'

Focus Passing ---'Mixed'*

Play Maker -------'on'

O/side trap -------'on'

The ones with * I sometimes vary during a match depending on pitch size, oppo formation etc.

Players in individual positions have the following intructions or changes from Team settings:

DC: Assigned man-mark oppo striker(s), mixed passing, no forwards runs/run with ball/long shots/thru balls/crossing. To stay back & don't funk about. Go up for set pieces only.

RWB/LWB: Assigned man-mark oppo wingers/wide forwards, mixed passing/forward runs/thru balls, often run with ball/crossing (from deep). To work the flanks, support both defence & attack.

MCd: Mixed forward runs/run with ball/long shots/crossing, often thru balls. General tidying up job in centre of park.

MCa: Creative F/dom 15/20, forward runs/run with ball/thru balls often, mixed long shots/crossing. Get forward & support the attack, drops back to partner CMd when oppo has posession.

AMC: Creative F/dom 20/20, forward runs/run with ball/thru balls often, long shots/crossing mixed, Free Role. Has freedom to roam & pull the attacking strings.

ST: Mixed forward runs/thru balls, run with ball often, rarely crossing/long shots. Do what's expected of them & can open up space for MCa & AMC.

You have offside trap on but are defending so deep??

After watching them fall at the hands of United today something inside me had to succeed with this club. This is going to be my holiday game, meaning a lot of time I have will be going into the game. Starting now will report back later with my transfers etc. Wish me luck

Archived