FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spike

I held onto quite a few players until they started getting on..

Sold Davies and Young just into thier 30's So I still made some cash.

Kept Barry until he retired then made him my ass.man.

and i'm about to start my 2019/2020 season

I've never managed to keep a save going that long :eek:. My record is about 6 seasons.

This is my longest yet ever....

Every year I have a decent game with one club but the following release its different

FM07 - Go Ahead Eagles (Holland) up to 2014

FM08 - Red Star Belgrade (Serbia) up to 2016

FM09 - Aston Villa (England) currently 2019

FM10 - I have no idea yet, so I'll wait til then.

I can't seem to kick any other careers off without coming back to this game..

I'm not even a Villa fan:P but shhh

This is my longest yet ever....

Every year I have a decent game with one club but the following release its different

FM07 - Go Ahead Eagles (Holland) up to 2014

FM08 - Red Star Belgrade (Serbia) up to 2016

FM09 - Aston Villa (England) currently 2019

FM10 - I have no idea yet, so I'll wait til then.

I can't seem to kick any other careers off without coming back to this game..

I'm not even a Villa fan:P but shhh

I am a Villa fan (I live 5 minutes from Villa Park) and yet this is the first time i've had a proper save with them on FM09. I've made a couple of attempts but kept going back to my Lyon save.

I have really got into this one though, and it should keep me going until FM10 :cool:

I've completed my transfer spending by bringing in goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev for £21m. This was the one position I was a little worried about, so I'm now a very happy manager :)

I've therefore sold Kameni to Marseille for £3.5m, Sidwell to Portsmouth for £7.5m & Albin to CSKA Moscow for £1.5m.

My final squad therefore looks like this for the season ahead:

GK - Akinfeev / Asenjo

DR - Reo-Coker / N'Koulou

DC - Laursen / Zapata

DC - Davies / Leo

DL - Insua / Monzon

MR - Young / Milner

MC - Veloso / Kacar

MC - Barry / Gardner

ML - Fernandez / Buonanotte

ST - Milevskyi / Paloschi

ST - Hulk / Agbonlahor

Hopey I hope Milevskyi is a goal machine having paid £15m for him :)

As for N'Koulou I am re-training him to DR. Already got Zapata, Leo, Davies & Laursen at DC.

Thanks JoeCFC :thup:.

Reo-Coker has been amazing at DR for me. Currently fighting off Arsenal & Liverpool who are both after him.

How unfair (and unrealistic) is this :(

I sold Fabrizio Miccoli to Blackburn on 12th July 2009 for £7.5m. He played one competitive match for them, scoring one goal. Then on 16th August (only 35 days later) Chelsea bought him for £18.75m :eek:

Just thought I'd give a very brief early season update.

Now i've put together the squad to suit my new tactic the results are starting to flow (still haven't worked out what went wrong in the Fulham game though, we were 4-2 up at one point).

AstonVilla-2.png

This has put us in a good position early up, but it looks like Man City's millions could make them the team to beat.

EnglishPremierDivision-1.png

I'm very happy with the squad and it shouldn't need much more investment for a while. The only move will be to bring in a younger replacement for Martin Laursen next season, particularly if we are in the Champions League. Other than that it will be time to invest in the youth team.

Very nice start to the season Spike

Always good to get one foot forward early.

Unlucky against Fulham, It must've been one hell of a Halftime talk :p.

For a Laursen replacement, the 2 CB's I brought in were Benedikt Howedes from Shalke (Now AV & England Vice-Captain) & Anderson Martins from Vitoria (Also plays for my AV & England squads).

You should be able to find quite a few players keen to join your club if you keep playing this way.

I just finished the Community Shield against (wait for it) Man City. And yet again afetr a 0-0 tie at the end of 90..

They went on to beat me in penalties.

I've used Bruce Highams's tactic all pre-season thus far and these are the results.

Win (A) Go Ahead Eagles 6-0

Win (A) Barnsley 4-1

Win (A) Bolton 5-0

Draw (A) Barcelona 1-1

Win (H) Roma 5-0

Loss (N) Man City 0-0 (Man City win on penalties)

I might keep this tactic for my home matches as it seems a bit more attacking than my current

and use mine for away.. The only formation difference is that I play a DM instad of the 3 MC.

Onto the 2019/2020 season.. I'll note my transfers at the end of the window

Very nice start to the season Spike

Always good to get one foot forward early.

Unlucky against Fulham, It must've been one hell of a Halftime talk :p.

For a Laursen replacement, the 2 CB's I brought in were Benedikt Howedes from Shalke (Now AV & England Vice-Captain) & Anderson Martins from Vitoria (Also plays for my AV & England squads).

You should be able to find quite a few players keen to join your club if you keep playing this way.

I just finished the Community Shield against (wait for it) Man City. And yet again afetr a 0-0 tie at the end of 90..

They went on to beat me in penalties.

I've used Bruce Highams's tactic all pre-season thus far and these are the results.

Win (A) Go Ahead Eagles 6-0

Win (A) Barnsley 4-1

Win (A) Bolton 5-0

Draw (A) Barcelona 1-1

Win (H) Roma 5-0

Loss (N) Man City 0-0 (Man City win on penalties)

I might keep this tactic for my home matches as it seems a bit more attacking than my current

and use mine for away.. The only formation difference is that I play a DM instad of the 3 MC.

Onto the 2019/2020 season.. I'll note my transfers at the end of the window

To be honest I pretty much know who I intend to buy to replace Laursen, Federico Fazio from Sevilla, as he is my favourite DC in the game. I've bought him on pretty much every save i've done.

Nice pre-season results, particularly Roma :thup:. Looks like the tactic is working nicely.

You're going to have to do something about Man City though :p

I might download FMRTE and destroy thier team...

Nah I'll pass on that:P

They're trying to buy alot of my regens to replace thier big stars

Marek Hamsik, John Obi Mikel, Vanger Love & Micah Richards are all into thier 30's

And they are all still starting for the club so they may slowly decline when the have to rely on youth.

Hopey

Not a great result, still not sure what went wrong though :(

Wesley Brown

Welcome & good luck :thup:

Good signings & virtually all English. Will be interesting to see how you get on.

No matter who starts an Aston Villa save I'll probably recommend Beckham to be one of the first purchases.

With him playing alongside Barry.. They just cause problems from the midfield.

Admittedly, I sold him to Real Madrid for just under £10 mill the following season.

I don't know if I should held him for a bit longer but he set the team up well midway through season 2.

Wesley Brown

They're right, those are good signings to pick up but I more surprised at some of you sales.

Haven't known many people to sell Laursen & Carew first season, but you did buy sufficient replacements.

Good luck with the rest of your season

I also considered Beckham when I started my save, but two things put me off. His age and his lack of pace, with him playing alongside Barry you have absolutely no pace at CM (unless you play 3 CM's).

I bought Miguel Veloso instead who is much younger and a fantastic prospect, not to mention a bargain at £11.5m (I hope Villa buy him in real life :cool:).

He's fantastic mate. Brilliant at CM in either a creative or defensive role, and he also score loads of goals from FK's :thup:

He's one of a handful of players I always try & buy (Fazio, Buonanotte & Paloschi being the others).

Not sure about the first season? Probably not though as I think he had only just joined Hertha.

I signed him at the start of the second season for £11m, and so far he has looked very very promising.

So far he has played half a dozen games due to Veloso being injured at the start of the season, and has chipped in with a few goals. Looks like he will be well worth the money :cool:

I've been struck by injury leading into the first champions cup group match against Barcelona...

All are out minimum 2 weeks, had to recall a couple of loans to cover them all:P

awq8if.jpg

That is seriously unlucky :(

I can sympathise with you (see post 1232).

Spike

I have seen that post and in comparison I don't feel so bad:P

Galvan, Carr & Witsel were all injured in the previous match the rest in training before & after the Liverpool game.

And just so you all know, I went on to draw the game 1-1 at home.. 'Tis a shame.

ballinisahabit

I can do that for you.

15hgykk.jpg

jr9tew.jpg

It's actually not doing too bad. That crisis was just a one-timer (for now anyway).

I'm sitting in 2nd behind Everton by 2 points after 8 games.

Thank god it's not Man City again:P

I've ended up using yours as my primary tactic, just tweaked the sliders a bit

*Mentality - 1 click forward

*Width - 2 clicks wider

*Defensive Line - 1 click back

*and added Counter Attack.

But I'm liking it so far... Haven't watched it in 3d yet so not sure of 'HOW' it looks but I'll wait 'til I play Man City.

How's your season coming along?

I've only played 8 games of the season, been flat out at work. Won 6 drew 2. joint 1st with the dreaded man city, after a 2 all draw. I muck around with the def line and width by a little bit depending on the opposition, and occasionally take the tempo and width almost to halfway and add counter attack when the opponents are putting everyone forward. Surprising how often I score on the break. Then again I have games with 22 shots on goal, 5 clear cut chances and only equalise or win in the last minute. Keeps me on my toes :)

One trick that nearly always works is when your playing a lowly team and the ass manager says that your winger is the star player, you can bet your bottom dollar that the opponent will man mark him. Swap your wingers around and your fullbacks will have all the space on the wings to bomb forward and get dangerous balls in. Good luck with man city:thup:

I just cant seem to win the champions league.

Won the PL 3 seasons in a row, got to the champions league final twice. Beaten both times (3-1 by Barca, 3-2 by Inter) But then i beat Inter in the group stages, my team just play complete crap in important finals :@

ive always wanted gojko kacar... is he available first season at all?

Got in Jan 2010 for 10M (ish). Very, very good DMC (deep-lying playmaker type perhaps?) or box-to-box CM. Has fitted into the side very quickly.:thup:

I just cant seem to win the champions league.

I know your pain but worse...

It took me until 2017 to win my first trophy where i won the league cup

and my first EVER premier league.

im in 2019/2020 season and have still not won the CL and only made 1 final :D

I'm like a real manager, struggling against the power houses

yayyy delph has come in finally!!

im not a villa supporter but somewhat of a neutral with a pinch of loving leeds... and have wanted to see delph play at a higher level for a while now... good signing

not sure about beye though... bit of an odd mon signing imo... downing will be great aswell..

anywaayyy back on topic..

going to start a new villa game sell the usual people and bring in delph and downing .. and take it from there.. interesting to see how young plays on the right with downing on the left... never had young play there before...

Just completed October and thought I'd throw in a bi-monthly update...

Had a recent poor run of form resulting in us dropping to 5th at on stage but we've clawed back into 3rd.

Wijnaldum is still out with injury and I've had a couple more come & go, but easily managable.

4uwbph.gif

Hopefully, we can continue on with our current form and get back into the title race.

Future Highlights:

23.11.19 - (H) Everton - A match against current table toppers, been a solid team this season.

27.11.19 - (A) Barcelona - European Champions Cup Group Stage.

01.12.19 - (A) Man City - My personal Rivals. Last season they beat me in every major match. This year is my turn

The rest of December is against mid tablers, no major mentionable matches.

Will upadate again at the end of January.

I haven't won the Chamions League after 11 years... I'm still going..

I'll probably quit after I do win it:P

Nah not really..

I'm currently making a db full of my regens:P gonna take forever to copy all thier info into the editor though:|

Good luck on the new game sparey

Well i have won the league every season from the third onwards. Im now into the 6th. I have been in 3 champion leagues finals. Lost 3-1 to Inter, 3-2 to Barca then, 4-3 on pens to Inter.

The thing is, on all occasions i have beaten top teams in group/knockout stages.

First year i beat Inter in my group.

Second year beat Inter and Real Madrid to get to final,

Third year i just beat Barca in the semi.

I don't know what else i can do, i play the same tactic/players that have served me well in the league, and they just cant seem to play in the final.

Review of recent seasons

Honours

Squad

Staff - ex-players highlights (didnt have to play for me)

Paloschi

Fiances

I was looking at starting an Aston Villa save and I'm wondering whether anybody has managed to play with primarily English players. I understand you are unlikely to win anything for the first few seasons, but is it plausible to have say 9 of your starting 11 English players and do really well?

I was looking at starting an Aston Villa save and I'm wondering whether anybody has managed to play with primarily English players. I understand you are unlikely to win anything for the first few seasons, but is it plausible to have say 9 of your starting 11 English players and do really well?

Subject to having a solid tactic I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it given time. Are you on 9.3.0 by the way?

The problem you will have is bringing in the quality english players to mount a serious title challenge for the first couple of seasons. Plus competing with Man City's millions is never an easy challenge.

With the squad you start with only Davis, Barry & Young are top class.

Luke Young & Gabby will do a decent job. But the rest (Milner, Sidwell, Gardner, Heskey & Harewood) are either deadwood or no better than squad players.

Good luck though :thup:

I will probably be playing on Weegie, so Zat Knight and Gareth Barry will be gone. I will have gained myself a Fabian Delph and Stewart Downing though. Delph and Delfouneso should become very good if I train/play them right and I can also look to bring in Joe Mattock and Mark Beevers from Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday. Might have a look at Billy Jones and Lewis Mcgugan from Preston and Nottm Forest too. John Fleck is Scottish but that's fine; I will mainly try and sign players who can speak English, so established prem players from abroad can fill gaps where I can't bring in British players.

Will look to play a 4 3 3 at first with Agbonlahor being fed by Downing and Young. Will probably look to sign Scott Carson from West Brom and I will see whether any of Man City's British players are discontent by January. From my experience Craig Bellamy doesn't get any play time at Man City and Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson might be available reasonably cheaply. Any other suggestions?

Keeper wise Joe Hart is the best option. Not sure whether you will be able to afford him though. If not then see if you can get him on loan. Ben Foster is the other option but you will probably have the same problem as Hart. Foster is usually available on a free at the end of the first season.

Take a look at Cahill & Jagielka at DC, other than that your full backs should be ok with Young & Shorey backed up by Beevers & Mattock.

Midfield is more interesting as there aren't that many quality englishmen that you could sign. All the best ones are already at top clubs (ie. Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole, Carrick, Hargreaves etc). Keep an eye on SWP at Man City as he sometimes becomes unhappy after the first season, depending on who they have brought in in his position. Huddlestone & Jenas are both decent players.

Up front I would look at Kevin Doyle from Reading, and also Michael Owen. He may be getting on but will still do a job. On 9.3.0 you can get him on a free at the end of the first season, not sure whether that has changed on the Weegie update.

Hope this helps :thup:

Thanks for some useful suggestions there :)

I might also take a look at Adam Lallana from Southampton for the future

Edit: Just started and remembered that Stewart Downing is out for half the season so might stick with Young on the left and Milner on the right.

Archived