Kids Nowadays - Don't know yer born

Ha ha! I remember this game! (Yes, I'm that old) You could sign Keegan and Shilton in division 3, get promoted and win the FA cup!! :D

Division 4 it was!

No matter which team you chose to be you always started in Division 4, and you always started with the England squad. Mick Mills, Kevin Keegan, Russell Osman, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Morley, Glenn Hoddle, etc etc etc.

And the player rating systems was simply 1 to 5. That was as in-depth as it got. A “1 star” player was valued at £5k, a “5 star” at £25k.

None of these fancy-dan ratings. Consistency? Pah! Determination? Pffffft! Footedness Bugs? Pharumph!

A simple game for simple people.

Man, I had that on C64... the graphics were slighly better(the stick players had proper(red and blue) shirt colours, white shorts, and skin colour, with a black blob of hair on top 'is head) and the screen was black with grey text.

Man i had this version as well. Was actually a really good game back in the day the only down side being that it took 30 mins to actually load it up and half the time it would just freeze on you half way through.

Damn tapes...

Yes, I used to play a footie management game back in the 80's on my Spectrum Zx. One league of ten teams. no player names, you entered your own if you wanted, no colour just black and white. I thought it was brilliant.

Can't remember the name though.

Man i had this version as well. Was actually a really good game back in the day the only down side being that it took 30 mins to actually load it up and half the time it would just freeze on you half way through.

Damn tapes...

That's just 'cause you never adjusted your tape reading heads enough. There was a little hole on the top of the datasette that you had to use one of 'em little thin screwdrivers to turn this little screw with. If you never did that, as well as clean the deck, every couple of months I don't see how you got anything to load, man.

You'd be royally screwed on something like Double Dragon or Turtles that had MULTI-LOAD ACTION! :p

I got as much enjoyment out of the original FM as I have out of any of the others. The computer is just an interface between the data processing and your imagination.

PS. The first game I ever played at home was George & the Dragon on the ZX81, you had to type the bloody code in every day, not load it from a cassette or disc, then you got to move the letter "G" around a maze of black blocks whilst being chased by a letter "D". Fantastic stuff.

We should lock some of the posters here in a room for a year with a ZX Spectrum and games, some tap water, spam, angel delight, wispas and some vesta curry ready meals. Show them what the late seventies early eighties was really about. We could give them 10p a week pocket money as well.

Thanks guys for a very entertaining and refreshing read.

From a smiling 36 yo reminiscing of those glory days, might just have to download some of those old games.

Cracking thread.

DON'T!!! I got hold of loads of old games not so long ago, such as James Pond II: Robocod; Dizzy; Pyjamarama; Miner; Spy Hunter; Jet Set Willy, This Ghostbusters Game and others and, well, nostalgia is often better than reality. :( You'll only be disappointed/bored by the games. Keep them as memories in your head, my friend. It's better that way. :thup:

DON'T!!! I got hold of loads of old games not so long ago, such as James Pond II: Robocod; Dizzy; Pyjamarama; Miner; Spy Hunter; Jet Set Willy, This Ghostbusters Game and others and, well, nostalgia is often better than reality. :( You'll only be disappointed/bored by the games. Keep them as memories in your head, my friend. It's better that way. :thup:

James Pond is awesome!

LOL

James Pond II: Robocod has to be the funniest game name i've ever seen :D

I massively disagree - those games are mostly as awesome now as they always were.

Especially james Pond.

Get yerself Earthworm Jim too :cool:

Division 4 it was!

No matter which team you chose to be you always started in Division 4, and you always started with the England squad. Mick Mills, Kevin Keegan, Russell Osman, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Morley, Glenn Hoddle, etc etc etc.

And the player rating systems was simply 1 to 5. That was as in-depth as it got. A “1 star” player was valued at £5k, a “5 star” at £25k.

None of these fancy-dan ratings. Consistency? Pah! Determination? Pffffft! Footedness Bugs? Pharumph!

A simple game for simple people.

One of said simple people...liked this on the Amstrad CPC 464

That takes me back. I lost hours of my youth on that game. Classic!! :thup:

Weeks...lost weeks on this.....

I massively disagree - those games are mostly as awesome now as they always were.

Especially james Pond.

Get yerself Earthworm Jim too :cool:

Earthworm Jim was a wicked game, one of my favourites ever. This is a great thread adn even funnier when people dont quite get it.

Sigh, I was taking a look at the football management games history that has been posted before, but there is no mention of the craptastic (that is the reason why, maybe? :p) "Soccer Supremo", which I dearly played on the Atari ST at the end of the eighties.

http://hol.abime.net/4242

I can't remember if you could only play Stockport at the beginning, or if you could actually edit things around.

"Football Fortunes" was nice, anyway, a combination of board game and videogame (duh) :

http://zxspectrum.hal.varese.it/footballfortunes.jpg

And after all this time, I think the only other football management game that has come close to CM/FM greatness was "The Manager" on the Amiga. "Player Manager" was great as well (I loved Kick Off 1/2 and Goal!), but the possibility of playing as a footballer made it similar to an arcade.

When I were a lad this is what we had. 1982, my first Football Manager game. Been playing the genre ever since, but next time you think you'll have a mope and a moan about what you've got today you'd do well to remember what the kids of the 80s had to play with :)

Check out the 3-D animation. Have a look at the Youtube link below just to see how lucky you are :cool:

Football_Manager2.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13M4_If_4I

the resemblance between that and fm09 is uncanny :o

Archived