[Suggestion] First season qualifications to Europe

craiigman

Real life groups would be amazing, but I understand maybe not possible due to licenses. However I always feel like having to qualify for Champions League or Europa League with a team that's already done it, is silly. Is this a licensing issue? I generally prefer my first season to be fairly realistic, so this would be a great feature. Maybe have an option at the start, like with "try to use real fixtures"?

UEFA Competitions aren't licensed so SI cannot use real fixtures, nor can they use the real groups and as the game start date is prior to the group stage draw they cannot fix it so the correct teams make it to the draw, teams will enter the competitions where they should IRL but then it's down to the results and the way the draw goes as to whether the in-game groups match up with the real ones.

On 31/08/2018 at 15:29, michaeltmurrayuk said:

UEFA Competitions aren't licensed so SI cannot use real fixtures, nor can they use the real groups and as the game start date is prior to the group stage draw they cannot fix it so the correct teams make it to the draw, teams will enter the competitions where they should IRL but then it's down to the results and the way the draw goes as to whether the in-game groups match up with the real ones.

What’s the difference in licences that the team is in the qualifiers or has qualified? Surely it would be the same?

I understand that if you start on early pre-season those games aren’t yet played. However there is an option to change your start date, which those games would have been played already?

Generally using real results (or fixtures) to set up groups requires a license that FM doesn't have (also reason why we don't get the real World Cup groups or why you don't get real tables when starting late), whereas putting teams into a similar looking competition at their points of entry doesn't, and whilst there are questions as to whether fixtures/results can even be copyrighted the likes of UEFA/FIFA have enough resources to drag out any legal complaints for years so whilst you may win in the end it's not worth the time and cost incurred in fighting them and of course if you push them they will likely demand SI strip out or change the existing UEFA based competitions so they don't resemble the licensed comps at all.

• 3 months later...

Archived