Defending against the 4-4-2 while playing a narrow diamond

I am currently playing as Werder Bremen and using a narrow 4-4-2 diamond formation to relative success, I am however facing a serious problem that will prevent us from progressing any further unless it is addressed: We struggle badly against the 4-4-2.

In my two seasons in charge we have faced teams playing the regular flat 4-4-2 formation a total of 17 times, out of those we have managed to win 4, draw 2 and lose 11, with three of the wins coming against a Hannover side with a significantly weaker team than ours.

I will let the league table from last season illustrate the problem:

image.thumb.png.dcf250a996a5735ecc684aeccbb3fcc7.png

The defeats against Bayern, Leverkusen, Schalke and Rasenballsport were all against the 4-4-2 formation. Turning those defeats into wins or draws would be the difference between us grabbing the final Europa League spot and challenging Bayern for the title.

The problem is that I do not know if there is anything I can do to address this problem without changing formations as most of my struggles in these matches stem from the inherent weakness on the wings that narrow formations have. With two strikers, wingers and fullbacks marauding down the flanks the 4-4-2 crushes us by leaving us out-numbered both on the flanks and in the area.

This is how my tactics look right now:

kdADLls.png

Is there anything I could change here to give us a fighting chance in these matches? Giving the fullbacks more defensive roles would seem like the most obvious answer, but since they are the creative engines in the team I fear that would leave us struggling to create any goalscoring opportunities of our own and the impossible task of marking both wingers and fullbacks would still persist.

First off, I hope you don't use this same tactic against each opponent ??!! Because you certainly cannot have the same tactical approach against Bayern for example and, say, St, Pauli.

Secondly, your TI's are unnecessarily aggressive. Why CD much more and Press Higher Up, especially in a formation inherently vulnerable on the flanks?

Both fullbacks on attack duties and in WB role - again too risky. If your MCR (MEZ) is on attack duty, then your RB could be on WB support, and your LB on FB attack (just one of possible options, not necessarily the only). 

You also have all the three forward players on attack duties, why? I'd try with AMC as APM and give the TM the support duty. In that case, I'd change my DM's role from DLP to DM (defend or support, depending on the situation).

These are just some of suggestions, but there could be a lot more to come.

WWFan circa 2009:

5: Defend the Flanks (useful against wide formations if you are narrow)

Play Wider, Push Up, Target Wingers and FBs in OI instructions, Exploit the Middle (holds a higher, wider line in the final third to make getting round the back more difficult and attacks down the middle on the counter)

Archived