[Suggestion] Player events

Blue1999

What I've wanted to see for years in FM are specific events that may happen to any player. The list below are examples of things that may happen which would both increase the managerial challenge as well as enriching the overall playing experience:

• Accident - player gets injured for non-sporting reasons e.g. Cudicini on his motorbike
  • Nightclubbing - one or more players get caught falling out of a club at 3am before a game. Fines / being dropped from the team ensue. Personality type affects chance of this happening e.g. driven/professional = less likely
  • Domestic - player arrested over domestic disturbance. May lead to "In the clink" (see below). Fines and being dropped from the team ensue. Possible contract termination if serious.
  • Career ender - an injury the player doesn't recover from e.g. Dean Ashton. Retirement and insurance payout ensues. Squad morale takes a hit.
  • Affray - one or more players get arrested for assault e.g. Woodgate & Bowyer. May lead to "In the clink" (see below). Fines and being dropped from the team ensue. Possible contract termination.
  • Bad influence - one player is holding another one back from reaching his potential e.g. Jody Morris & John Terry (allegedly). Get rid or watch those stars reducing over time.
  • In the clink - player gets jail time for one or more offences e.g. Troy Deeney. Probable contract termination ensues.
  • Cheaters - married player gets caught fooling around and possible divorce proceedings ensue. Will affect morale and performance for a while.
  • Tax evasion - player in hot water with internal revenue. Will affect morale and performance for a while. May lead to "In the clink".
  • Burglary - players house broken into. Will affect morale and performance for a while.
  • It's a girl - player has a birth in the family and misses a game to be there.
  • Social media gaffe - player tweets something highly inappropriate e.g. Kenedy. Fines and suspension ensue.
  • Funeral - player has a death in the family and misses a game to be there. Will affect morale and performance for a while.
  • Kidnap - player has a relative kidnapped for ransom e.g. Wilson Palacios. Would be higher prob for certain African / South American players. Will affect morale, performance and probable leave of absence for a while.
  • Drug test - Player fails drug test or fails to show up for scheduled test e.g. Mutu / Ferdinand. Contract termination or lengthy ban ensues.
  • I do - player gets hitched. Will affect morale and performance for a while.
  • Fireworks in the bathroom - Aaaah Mario...

You get the idea... Having events such as this would really make the players come to life in terms of depth as well as making man management much more interesting. SI would just need to go back over a couple of years worth of sports news to get plenty of ideas for this kind of thing. It would a random chance with mods for personality, age and maybe the decisions attribute. The idea is to keep these minimal but to have them happen from time to time as in real life. I know these aren't football related but they have a direct impact on the footballers. I want to be put in the situation where I have to decide if the potential ability of a troublemaker is really worth the hassle. I suggest doing the dev/testing with Balotelli  ;)

11 minutes ago, ForzaCarpi said:

I think it’s obviously realistic and, maybe i’m crazy, but i will add......the possibility that a regen (only them) could die.....what u think?

This is one of the few aspects of real-life football that should not - and will not - ever be implemented.

For one thing, it'd be incredibly insensitive. Also, one can only imagine what the forums would be like if a user's star newgen suddenly collapsed on the pitch.

It has been suggested before for regens, but the consensus from SI is that with few exceptions in this list, these are the parts of the real-life game that they don't want to see in their game.  It may not truly reflect reality, but we have to accept the developer's position as it hasn't changed at all over many years.

Having a player come out as gay is one thing. It's a small, harmless feature in FM that helps promote equality and diversity.

Now, having a player fail a drugs test, face criminal charges or even fix a match... that's something else entirely. I don't think FIFPro would be pleased if SI introduced those latter scenarios to FM.

If memory serves me correctly, there was a version of CM/FM many years ago where young players were seen leaving nightclubs in the early hours and skipping training so its not that outlandish.

Plus what's wrong with a bit of realism? All the things he's suggested happen or have happened. They don't have to occur every week, but a thrown in rare incident to a regen would certainly be welcome and add to the realism.

On 08/09/2018 at 11:00, FrazT said:

It has been suggested before for regens, but the consensus from SI is that with few exceptions in this list, these are the parts of the real-life game that they don't want to see in their game.  It may not truly reflect reality, but we have to accept the developer's position as it hasn't changed at all over many years.

I really would like to press the issue a little more. Having it for regens would definitely make the game feel a little less repetitive once the world is mostly made up of regens. We have regens being gay, so why not have even more realism in the game by adding the original list of events in this thread?

Or was it just that adding in gay players to FM was a media stunt to receive easy applause from the wider community, and to help market the game through the media that would pick the feature up and write about it?

It has been recognised that some users would like to see more realism in this part of the game, but SI's position has been often stated and has not changed, so till it does, we will have to accept the status quo.

Only SI will know the reasoning behind why features are implemented, but it is unlikely to be a publicity stunt, in my view.

On 07/09/2018 at 21:43, Blue1999 said:
  • Accident - player gets injured for non-sporting reasons e.g. Cudicini on his motorbike
  • Nightclubbing - one or more players get caught falling out of a club at 3am before a game. Fines / being dropped from the team ensue. Personality type affects chance of this happening e.g. driven/professional = less likely
  • Career ender - an injury the player doesn't recover from e.g. Dean Ashton. Retirement and insurance payout ensues. Squad morale takes a hit.

These things can already happen with newgens. "Freak accidents" are possible injury causes, unprofessional players can be spotted leaving a nightclub, and old players can get a serious injury that makes them retire much sooner (continuous injuries can also cause this).

On 07/09/2018 at 21:43, Blue1999 said:
  • It's a girl - player has a birth in the family and misses a game to be there.
  • Social media gaffe - player tweets something highly inappropriate e.g. Kenedy. Fines and suspension ensue.

Now, these things (a player taking a license for an off-pitch event) seem fairly reasonable (if a little unfair for the randomness of such events). The social media idea is comparable to the nightclub thing, but as long as they don't say what the inappropriate thing was...

• 1 month later...

Archived