Underlap or Overlap

I've just seem this really good YouTube video ... the best video about FM that I've seen for ages

If I heard him correctly, Miles suggests considering using the underlap instruction in conjunction with an inside forward. How does this work? I would have thought of using underlap with a winger so that the fullback / wingback cuts inside the winger and using overlap with an inside forward so that the fullback / wingback runs wider than the inside forward.

Tried the CWB-a on 18 left me too exposed even with an anchor dm, ended up reverting back to fbs with a bwm dm which worked well, though I am looking forward to trying out most options again. Could be that my def l/r are all fbs

1 minute ago, toffee71 said:

Love that run is that fb(s) sit narrow +cut inside with the winger(a) or using cwb?

My winger stay wide,CWB run with ball to the space between AI's CM & WM.

its base on how AI marking you,its may only happen once in >100 game.
In most of the match,he Overlap

Am really looking forward to 19, as quite often with teams I don't know have reasonable fbs/wbs who are fast can pass a bit but are bad at crossing and the underlap is perfect to utilise that. In your video @kpsia518 is how I imagine it in my head exploiting the space.

1 minute ago, toffee71 said:

Am really looking forward to 19, as quite often with teams I don't know have reasonable fbs/wbs who are fast can pass a bit but are bad at crossing and the underlap is perfect to utilise that. In your video @kpsia518 is how I imagine it in my head exploiting the space.

that only work for CWB or maybe IWB.
Not Wb or FB

3 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

what i plan do test is try to create this tactic :

i think only CWB can do that

I always forgot the IWB did tactic maybe last year maybe 17 or v early 18 with them and it was quite good for me but got bored with it, but also remember where i had on the left a FBa+IFs and the right WBs+Wa that worked ok witha decent CF

4 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

I always forgot the IWB did tactic maybe last year maybe 17 or v early 18 with them and it was quite good for me but got bored with it, but also remember where i had on the left a FBa+IFs and the right WBs+Wa that worked ok witha decent CF

i feel wb & fb not aggressive enough.

Just now, kpsia518 said:

i feel wb & fb not aggressive enough.

Ah but I'm one of those mangers who prefer a 1-0 to 2-1/3-1, I always like to be solid at the back and yet in all my years playing yet to be best defense in league, top scorers easy but defensively I'm probably a bit naive. Over the years 3/5 at the back is probably my best tactic defensively. In my current game I have 3 nice fully interchangeable tactics 2 are 4122w1 the other is 4123 the wingers now a def forward+f9, different intensity/mentalities, but the base of them is the same 2*fbs 1*bpd 1*cd + 1 dm bwm  the advanced roles change depending on selection and my control sit deeper 4122w1 has solidified me and can get plenty of 1/2-nils with plenty of assists for my fbs.

Great vid link, enjoyed watching and learning

When it comes to underlap, I am wondering why instead of fullbacks and wingbacks it cannot be done by central midfielders? For example, an IF or APM in wide forward position (AML/R) holds the ball for an attacking CM running forward into the area. I hope you understand what I mean.

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

When it comes to underlap, I am wondering why instead of fullbacks and wingbacks it cannot be done by central midfielders? For example, an IF or APM in wide forward position (AML/R) holds the ball for an attacking CM running forward into the area. I hope you understand what I mean.

surely the bbm will do that naturally, mine seem to

1 hour ago, toffee71 said:

surely the bbm will do that naturally, mine seem to

Yes, as well as CM on attack duty. But in the case of overlap, an attacking fullback/wingback will also naturally make an overlap behind an APM or IF on support. So actually there is no need for either OL or UL TI, as you can achieve it through other settings (PIs) :cool:

I know the players build their understanding of each other over time, but I'm still trying to build a real  left or right side relationship. Excuse my bias, If you remember the glorious everton team of the eighties on the right we at rb Gary Stevens and rm Trevor Steven and they played so naturally together and i can't recall a better combination in real life than them, at everton on the left  baines and pienaar had a great underlap/overlap understanding but no where near stevens and steven. Maybe irwin+giggs at utd can't think of any others

4 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

I know the players build their understanding of each other over time, but I'm still trying to build a real  left or right side relationship. Excuse my bias, If you remember the glorious everton team of the eighties on the right we at rb Gary Stevens and rm Trevor Steven and they played so naturally together and i can't recall a better combination in real life than them, at everton on the left  baines and pienaar had a great underlap/overlap understanding but no where near stevens and steven. Maybe irwin+giggs at utd can't think of any others

I enjoyed watching some of Everton's games of that time on YouTube. Even though I am a LFC fan, I feel some "strange" sympathy for Everton as a team. What's more, I even managed Everton in an earlier version of FM and I still remember how I defeated my Liverpool 1-0 :brock:

5 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I enjoyed watching some of Everton's games of that time on YouTube. Even though I am a LFC fan, I feel some "strange" sympathy for Everton as a team. What's more, I even managed Everton in an earlier version of FM and I still remember how I defeated my Liverpool 1-0 :brock:

I've never managed Liverpool, I can't sorry, but don't want to sound racist but I have many friends who support Liverpool:D, but I do have some sympathy for Liverpool in recent times, I enjoy the football like the Klopp, think you will push city hard this year, and I remember when you signed Torres I thought he was the missing link for you, having watched him a few times when i lived in spain. I think your sympathy will be about sad times, all i  will say on that is europe

10 hours ago, herne79 said:

Don't ignore the impact of Mentality or of the individual players themselves.

yes,i need more test on this.
i need a wingback do all "overlap + underlap",& do all with ball run,or with out ball run forward,in wide lane & narrow lane.
i want CWB to do all the job,that is what gary neville or patrice evra do.

but loot like FM18 ME limited,i can't or hard get a setting to let them do all that

8 hours ago, kpsia518 said:

yes,i need more test on this.
i need a wingback do all "overlap + underlap",& do all with ball run,or with out ball run forward,in wide lane & narrow lane.
i want CWB to do all the job,that is what gary neville or patrice evra do.

but loot like FM18 ME limited,i can't or hard get a setting to let them do all that

Will be trying this myself, am thinking for PIs  push forward, sit narrower, run wide with ball, no closing down though or not a lot if slider. TIs underlap,  sure it won't be that simple but think good starting point

On 17/10/2018 at 14:39, kpsia518 said:

giphy.gif
want to see will my fullback do this more in FM19

Seen your posts in the beta, but have you got close to this yet? I'm using wb and they are doing the runs and link play, yet to score but the potential is there.

33 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

I assumed the underlap would be more a case of an IF holding the ball up for an onrushing CM/BBM/MEZ.

Depends on your approach and most importantly player instructions, on my left its WB(s) +some personal pref instructions with IF(s) +stay wide, cut inside already there, on right WB(s) with W(a)

The IF+W s+a roles I switch to 2nd tactic so they are then on IF(a)+W(s) and whatever side has the support does the overlap and the attacking side has the underlap.

12 hours ago, toffee71 said:

Seen your posts in the beta, but have you got close to this yet? I'm using wb and they are doing the runs and link play, yet to score but the potential is there.

we didn't have a report or guide line for fergie tactic,only from memory,or only from Gary Neville's video.

i think i try Leonardo Jardim's Monaco 442 1st,here we got a scout report :

https://thecoachingmanual.com/Content/5439277347373056

I just had something similar to your Gary Neville video, though like a fool I forgot to clip the hightlight.

My Right WB(s) got ball from keeper passed it RW(s) then a quick one-two around halfway, RW runs down flank WB charges into space and better than in video, RW passes back to edge of box and WB smashed it in, I was so happy.

What about adding a new player instruction to FB/WB in fm20 under the 'off the ball' section? Something like 'attack opposition's box' (not just simply 'get further forward')? Coupled with 'look for underlap' will provide the desired effect.

Maybe even training a player the ppm 'get into opposition area'.

4 hours ago, toffee71 said:

I just had something similar to your Gary Neville video, though like a fool I forgot to clip the hightlight.

My Right WB(s) got ball from keeper passed it RW(s) then a quick one-two around halfway, RW runs down flank WB charges into space and better than in video, RW passes back to edge of box and WB smashed it in, I was so happy.

gifrecoder,you may want it :

http://gifrecorder.com/download.htm#.W9JrpNIzZdh
easy to use.
just recode & save as gif file

look like WB in fm19,have change.they will underlap & overlap even i din't tell them to that.

Archived