Life After Wenger

Tomunco

Today I took a train down to Preston to see the under 18’s face Man City at Deepdale, I travelled in 1st class, and got a few funny looks from some of the people on the train. “Who does he think he is?†muttered a kid as stepped out onto the platform, I chose to ignore him. I had to remind myself that I wasn’t a top class manager who commanded respect and awe from the footballing world. I was a bit part employee at Portsmouth who had angered many fans by daring to become manager of Arsenal. I was inexperienced, and the fans were still not pleased with my appointment, I didn‘t deserve the job, the huge salary, the media attention (though I could have coped without the publicity) and I had to prove my ability and commitment soon.

The pouring rain subsided in time for kick off at Deepdale, and I was able to focus on a 16 year old lad called Daniel Sturridge who played for City. He had caught the eye of my scout Giles Grimandi and I had decided to check him out for myself. I didn’t take long for me to realise that he was an extraordinary talent.

With City a goal down with twenty minutes on the clock, he seized the ball outside the area and took on two players before firing a shot just wide. Moments later he played in his teammate Kyle Moore for the equaliser, glancing the ball on with his head. Later, with the game nearing it’s conclusion, Sturridge dispossessed Preston’s Kieron Edwards and coolly fired home past Preston’s onrushing goalkeeper. I made a mental note to keep a very close eye on Sturridge, given the right nurturing he will be a very big player.

On returning to London I found a backlog of messages, including a note from Mr Lewin informing me that Gael Clichy has resumed light training, and will be back in full training in a month. This is very pleasing news, as the Mexican teenager Guardado has had to fill in at left back in Clichy’s absence, though he is doing a good job. Clichy now joins an extremely populated left back area that includes Urby Emanuelson and Justin Hoyte. Another left back is back in full training, teenage Armand Traore is fully fit after recovering from his shoulder injury.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team against Chelsea :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Guardado

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Van Persie

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Cardenas

Rosicky

Emanuelson

Moutinho

Claudio Marchisio is dropped from the squad after failing to impress against Moscow, his place is taken by Urny Emanuelson, the Dutch left back yet to make an appearance for the club.

English Premiership 17/9/2006

Emirates Stadium, Arsenal

Arsenal V Chelsea

This day was going to come sooner or later, the day when things just didn’t go our way, and I hoped the players would be able to get it out of their systems before the next match, but bouncing back from defeat isn’t that easy.

Things just went wrong from the start, in the first minute Robin Van Persie was booked for a rash tackle on Michael Essien who would go on to score the opener 25 minutes later. Once we were a goal down it was difficult to see how we could come back, but the team put in a good effort, some slick passing and good moves went unrewarded as we trailed by a goal at the interval.

I went for a quicker tempo after the break, and brought on Joao Moutinho, who had helped transform the game against Moscow, for the hard working Gilberto. This was perhaps a mistake, and I should have taken off the ineffectual Fabregas, but I wanted the Spaniard right in the centre, with Moutinho in front of him, to try and get back into the match.

It didn’t work too well though and although it was far from a dire performance from the team, most of the players turned in good performances, nobody stood out, and the quality of the expensive individuals in Blue shone through. Soon after the hour mark Adriano finished the game with a neat finish to some intricate passing from Lampard and Shevchenko and handed us our first defeat of the season. On the positive side, it was defender Khalid Bouhlarouz who picked up the man of the match award, so that does at least suggest we showed some threat to Chelsea, and we gave them a decent game. They were perhaps a little lucky as well.

But overall Chelsea deserved the win, as much as it pains me to say, but I was confident we would rule supreme over the rest of London, and indeed England in the not so distant future, but for now the riches of Abramovich and tactical prowess of Mourinho was a very difficult obstacle to negotiate.

Arsenal 0

Chelsea 2

Essien 26

Adriano 61

Man of the Match : Khalid Bouhlarouz (Chelsea)

A report in the Times the next day read :

The Blues Strike Lucky

Lady luck smiled on Chelsea as they ran out 2-0 winners over Arsenal on a fine summers day at Ashburton Grove.

The match was a tight affair and Arsenal were left ruing the scoring opportunities they missed.

---------------

I wasn’t so sure, I felt we hadn’t created a great deal of chances in the first place, and Chelsea generally had the better of us for much of the game.

On leaving my office I was approached by a reporter,

“Mr Wulfric, what is your view on the game against Chelsea?â€

“Well I wasn’t too displeased with my team to be honest†I replied, “I thought they did quite well but credit to Chelsea and we must now bounce back as soon as possible.â€

“How easy or rather, difficult, do you think that will be?â€

“Well of course it is hugely important to any successful team, I will always believe that it is not how you do when you are winning, but how you react when you are losing that counts, and we need to focus on the upcoming game against Liverpool, which, I must stress is just as important.â€

“Do you think Chelsea deserved the win?â€

“Well they played well and I don’t think you could argue they didn’t merit itâ€

“What do you say now to Jose Mourinho, who has just beaten you?â€

“Not much. He has won and that is good for him but it doesn’t mean a great deal, you win some you lose some and we will be better prepared next time so he should not take us lightly.â€

“How do you rate your chances against Liverpool?â€

“I think we have enough for the win but of course we must react in the right manner and show them that we are still a big force. We have home advantage for this one as well and hopefully the crowd will be able to get behind us.â€

“Media speculation is mounting that you are in talks with Palermo over a possible January move for right back Mattia Cassani, even with the transfer window just closed. Can you confirm these rumours?â€

“Well it’s people like you who start contribute to the speculation, so I suggest you take a look at where you got the idea from, and ask them. I have nothing more to say on the topic.â€

I am indeed in talks with Palermo over Mattia Cassani, and have just had a bid of £2,900,000 accepted, though I don’t know how anyone found out, it is virtually impossible to keep a deal quiet these days.

Although the match against Chelsea was an important one, I felt the upcoming game against Liverpool was even more so. We had to bounce back from our defeat, and it was another league game, a chance to get back on track. I felt it was the most important match of the season so far. There was no two ways about it, we had to win.

Team against Liverpool :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Emanuelson

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Cardenas

Rosicky

Van Persie

Moutinho

Guardado moves into his favoured left midfield position to make way for debutee Urby Emanuelson, who will quite possibly become our first choice left back this season, it seems to be between him and Clichy anyway. The fully fit Julio Baptista is omitted from the squad as in form Asamoah keeps his place up front, and Van Persie moves to the bench.

English Premiership 20/9/2006

Arsenal V Liverpool

The game got off to a brilliant start as Gyan Asamoah out-jumped Jamie Carragher to head in a cross from Alexandr Hleb. With only 57 seconds on the clock we had seized control of the game, and although that was the end of the scoring until half time, we created plenty more chances and Liverpool were thouroughly outclassed. The players had reacted just as I had wanted them too, and I stuck with what I had already got, not making any changes for the second half.

The second half became even better than the first, with nineteen minutes to play Cesc Fabregas, who had been superb all day, played a delicious 45 yard ball to Asamoah, the once capped Ghana striker surged past Sami Hypia and, catching Reina off his line made a fabulous chip over the Spanish goalkeeper to make it 2-0. This was by some way our best performance of the season so far, and we were building momentum, seven minutes later Asamoah turned provider as he crossed one in for Henry to finish. After that we took our foot off the gas a little, and were punished as Fabio Aurelio unleashed a deadly free kick from some way outside the area to pull a goal back near the end, but the damage was done and we cruised to a well deserved, and much needed victory.

To cap off a fantastic event, referee Martin Atkinson did not give out a single booking, showing the high amount of professionalism and respect present throughout the match. The undoubted highlight however was the virtuoso performance from Gyan Asamoah, who has now sealed his spot in the first team with numerous impressive displays. It was also extremely pleasing to see Urby Emanuelson enjoy a solid start to his career at the club.

Arsenal 3

Asamoah 1, 71

Henry 78

Liverpool 1

Aurelio 80

Man of The Match : Gyan Asamoah (Arsenal)

Post Match Conference

“A great win today then, what are your thoughts on the game Mr Wulfric?â€

“I am delighted with the players, I couldn’t have asked for anything more from them and they were superb. It was vital to bounce back from the result we had a few days ago and we did, so a very pleasing winâ€

“New signing Urby Emanuelson gave a good performance on his debut today, how pleased are you with your new recruit?â€

“Well I always feel a good team performance will help players in their own performance, and the team played very well today, but yes considering it was his first game Urby did very well and I am sure he will get even better as he gets used to the way we play and the physicality of the English league.â€

“He was one of many signings this summer, and you now have a lot of players capable of plying on the left, what do you have to say to those who perhaps won’t get much football this season because of that?â€

“Everyone will get their chance, if they train well and prove to me that they should be in the team then they will play. But this club is not about furthering players careers, and if one player will do better than another then he will play.â€

“One of your other signings this summer, Gyan Asamoah, has been attracting attention with some good performances in the league recently, what are your future plans for him?â€

“Well I was aware that he had a lot of potential when I signed him but one of the main benefits of the loan was to give us more options up front and he is a strong lad, something we have been lacking. The option is there to sign him but I will not be rushed and I will obviously be keeping an eye on him, it is very pleasing to see him playing so well.â€

“He is attracting a lot of attention from other clubs at the moment, Bayern Leverkusen have declared their interest in the player, will this make things difficult?â€

“There are two factors here. We have an agreement with Udinese already in place so that is no problem. That leaves the desire of the player and that of Arsenal. If we want to sign him and we have sufficient funds then Gyan will decide whether to go back to Italy or go to another club or stay here. We know exactly where we stand though, we have agreed a fee, but at the moment I am not thinking about buying him.â€

“Do you not think there might be a danger that if he plays really well he might start attracting interest from the top clubs and will want to go there?â€

“If he would rather go to another club then I would rather he go to another club so I am not worried, if we did want to sign him I don’t think there would be much problem.â€

“What are your thoughts on the upcoming game against Manchester City?â€

“I do not think it is ideal timing as we only now have three days to recover before the match but I think the team will be ready and I hope the best team wins, Stuart Pearce is a very good manager and I’m sure he will make it difficult, but I look forward to it.â€

---

I feel we are in a strong position with Gyan Asamoah, the truth is that I am very much considering buying him, and injuries permitting I may try to sort something out in January. I do not feel threatened by other clubs interest in him as we already have an agreement so that should speed things up, and he already looks at home here. But for now I will just be keeping an eye on him and will make a final decision whether or not to sign him on a permanent deal in the next couple of months.

Just a few days from the Man City encounter we were drawn against Derby in the League Cup third round. This year I will be using the competition to help blend my younger players in to first team football and give them a chance to develop an understanding with one another that will be useful in the future. The biggest game if the draw looks to be the Everton V Chelsea fixture, to be played at Stamford Bridge. Holders Man United have also been given a top flight opponent, they will face West Ham at Old Trafford. Our game against Derby will be played at the Emirates on the 25th October.

Team against Man City :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Emanuelson

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Cardenas

Rosicky

Van Persie

Moutinho

I am able to name an unchanged squad for the match, and that is very pleasing as it should help the players get into a rhythm if they are playing every week with the same players. Of course injuries have not been a problem recently, so that is helping a lot.

English Premiership 23/9/2006

The City of Manchester Stadium, Man City

Man City V Arsenal

It was pleasing to see the team settle comfortably in to their normal style of play and pass the ball around well in the opening stages of the game, but it was City who took the lead against the run of play in the 24th minute when Oliver Dabo’s shot deflected off Alex Hleb into the path of Bernado Corradi, who had a simple finish. I felt it was a set back, but nothing to panic about, and didn’t look to change anything, ’keep calm’ was the message being relayed to the players. That was proving difficult, as City’s ill disciplined midfielder Joey Barton was up to his old tricks again, making stupid tackles and picking arguments. The 24 year old finally got himself booked when after about half an hour of play he needlessly crashed into Gilberto to earn a caution.

We still kept control of the game though, and just before half time Thierry Henry scored his third league goal of the season when put through by Emanuel Eboue. So the teams went in level at half time. The only performance that had really stood out was that of Cesc Fabregas, who was having one of his rare off days. I brought on Joao Moutinho for the Spaniard.

The second half was similar, in that we dominated and played well, but it was a frustrating game as DaMarcus Beasley, who had been poor in the first half scored a diving header at the near post just after the hour. Chances came and went with Thierry Henry missing a sitter with moments left on the clock, but despite good performances from everyone in the team who played to the end of the match, we were unable to capitalize on possession and succumbed to an inferior City performance.

I felt deeply frustrated by the result, we had played well, better than Man City, yet we had lost. It was perhaps a sign of our dominance that Andres Isaaksson was the best player, preventing us many times, but after beating Liverpool I felt that this was a very disappointing result. One positive I could take from the game was Joao Moutinho’s quick adaptation to life at the club, he has settled into matches very well in his handful of substitute appearances for the team, and I am very pleased with him.

Man City 2

Corradi 24

Beasley 64

Arsenal 1

Henry 43

Man of The Match : Andres Isaaksson (Man City)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC Sport

Arsenal Finalise Cassani Move

Palermo’s Mattia Cassani has sealed a deal to join Arsenal when the transfer window opens on January 1st. The Italian right back, who often provides back up to Italian international Cristian Zaccardo at the Renzo Barbera, will move for £2,900,000. Cassani has been in talks with the Gunners since the transfer window closed and will now join in the new year. The twenty three year old has been described by future manager Tom Wulfric to have the potential to a ‘quality attack and defence balanced right back’. “I see Alves as the best attacking right back and Zaccardo as the best defensive, Mattia is somewhere in between and he will be a very good player one day. I already have Eboue, who is very attack minded, so this is the sort of player I am looking for.†he said, “ Zaccardo was out of our price range for the time being, and I Mattia has a bit more attacking ability about him, which is good, Zaccardo would still be a good player for us but Mattia gets forward more and so he is less of a Zaccardo, I like full backs to get forward and Mattia does that but he is also a very good defender. He is your typical efficient Italian player I feel.†Cassani can also play further forward however, he has been known to play at right midfield, and he can even play at left back as well, though with so many players already available in that position Arsenal are unlikely to play him there. Cassani is currently a fixture in the first team for Palermo, as his team mate Cristian Zaccardo is playing at centre back at the moment, though the former Juventus defender is unlikely to be anything more than back up at Arsenal, at least for the first few months. Wulfric stated that Cassani is likely to be Arsenal’s only signing of the winter transfer window, “The club has a very strong squad now and is not made of money†he said, “I am happy with what I have got and we cannot afford to go splashing silly amounts of money on players.â€

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad to have wrapped this up before the window opens, as Cassani can join straight away in the new year, rather than having to spend January negotiating.

I had a look at players progress in the training schedule that I devised a while ago and was very pleased by results. Pat Rice and other members of the coaching staff told me that most players have improved many aspects of their game on the new schedule and those that haven’t are still progressing at a good rate. Overall I am extremely pleased by the players condition and progression throughout the season so far.

An offer came in from Hull to loan midfielder Claudio Marchisio but was politely declined, I informed their manager Phil Parkinson that I am looking to keep him at the club and progress him through our training and football in the reserves and cup matches.

Despite having many players capable of playing at left back, I have not got too much to choose from for the upcoming trip to Turkey where we play Galatasaray. Clichy is still injured, Emanuelson ineligible and Guardado is playing at left wing. William Gallas (who has been displaced from the team by Micah Richards for the time being) and Justin Hoyte are both available for the left back spot but I may play Armand Traore, it is a risk, as he is so young, to play him in a game like this, but one I am considering taking.

Team against Galatasaray :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Traore

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Champions League Group C Game 2 27/9/2006

Ali Sami Yen, Istanbul

Galatasaray V Arsenal

Any ideas people had before the game that the opening stages would be tight and cagey were vanquished within three minutes as Aliaksandr Hleb contributed to a blistering start with his first goal of the season. The midfielder broke free of the defence and pounced on a deflection off Stjepan Tomas to put us ahead in Istanbul. Far from stifling Galatasaray however, the goal prompted them to attack more and they were soon on level terms with a superb free kick from Ates Necati evening things up. Necati was on the score sheet again fifteen minutes later when the Turkish forward powered a shot through the defence. After that Galatasaray eased off and comfortably absorbed all our pressure until half time, though it was limited, as I had instructed the team to suck the Turks in before breaking forward and they were unwilling to commit numbers.

Thierry Henry was given unlimited creative freedom as I made several tactical changes at half time, I also told the team to play quicker and go on the attack, but at the same time look to break whenever Galatasaray come forward. Asamoah was told to abandon all defensive duties and concentrate on attack, while players with a decent strike were instructed to try a few long range efforts now and again.

The changes paid off as Galatasaray struggled to cope with our relentless pressure. Twelve minutes after the break Gyan Asamoah went on a fantastic solo run before slotting home for 2-2. The Turks were our of ideas and in need of help as the Arsenal train built momentum, just two minutes later Henry struck with a anrrow angled goal that put us 3-2 up. We continued to dominate and play good football for the remainder of the match, but only in the 90th minute could we breath a sigh of relief as Alexandr Hleb crushed Galatasaray’s hopes of a comeback with his second goal of the game. When Gyan Asamoah’s long range shot was only parried by Mondragon, Hleb was first to react and tucked home to give us a hugely impressive 4-2 win and I felt that this had been our best performance of the season so far, particularly as we had played in a foreign country. It was a super comeback and I let the players know how pleased I was with them.

Galatasaray 2

Necati 21,36

Arsenal 4

Hleb 3,90

Asamoah 57

Henry 59

Man of The Match : Gyan Asamoah (Arsenal)

A few days after returning to England I went along to an organised five-a-side tournament between the players at the training ground and Pat Rice approached me.

“The lads have been doing really well recently†he commented

“Yes I’ve noticed, I’m pleased with the way they’ve applied themselves†I replied

“I don’t suppose you’ve thought anymore about Gyan?â€

“I’m monitoring his progress, but then I’m doing the same with everyone. If he keeps playing well then I will have to think.â€

“ Look boss, I’ve seen a lot of him in training, and it doesn’t take a genius to see he’s got somethingâ€

“They all have†I replied

“Yes but… well†Pat cast around for the right words, “He’s very young, but he’s arguably been our best player so far this season, and he’s only just arrived. He’s at home here, he’s settled in, and he’s keeping Robin and Julio out of the teamâ€

“Yes I’m aware he’s doing well, I presume you think we should sign him?â€

“Definitely. He’s got some talent, and after what I’ve seen I feel he has a great future ahead of him. Just looking at the deal that brought him here, you can get him for around five mill. and that’s a steal, his value is higher than that now.â€

“I have been thinking about keeping him here Pat, he has a lot to offer the team, but I don’t want to get too caught up in that, one of the main purposes was for him to help us this season, despite his age I was sure he could be valuable, and he has been.â€

“Well†said Pat, “I would hate to see him leave next summer. There are clubs queuing up for him already and his value is increasing all the time. If we don’t buy him someone else will, and it will be for a lot more than five millionâ€

“Thanks for your advise Pat†I said, “I’m not too worried about the interest of other clubs. Before I sign him there are two obstacles to be negotiated. One is the board, I’ve spent a lot already and I don’t know if they’ll agree to a move for Gyan. They told me what was available but we must keep the finances stable, then we must see if he survives all the media hype that is building up. He was fairly unknown, but now he is playing fantastically well and there will be more attention on him. Defences will pay more attention to him as well. He must cope with that.â€

“Just don’t let him slip away†urged Pat, “He’s got a huge future ahead of him if he is taken care of and you should do what you can to get himâ€

As he walked away I felt unsurprised at what my assistant had said. I knew Asamoah was a good player and I would be advised to get him if he kept doing well. As far as I am concerned I am 90% sure I want to sign him, whatever I may tell people, and the only real obstacle is the funding. I know there is money available, but I am still unsure as to how much I should be spending.

Cash is still coming in nicely though, our win over Galatasaray means another £220,000 in the bank.

excellent Tom-lovely

btw I had the problem with Fabregas being pretty inconsistent which is why I sold him: reckon the code isnt right: someone with his stats and his ability should consistently do much better

love the way you are mixing up the story-deffo the way to keep us reading icon14.gif

The next day I was in the board room talking to Peter Hill Wood, I had requested a meeting with him to discuss the finances of the club.

“Currently we aren’t in a great position†stated Hill Wood, “We are extremely financially healthy, but there is only small amount of money left to invest. Around £5 million is available to you but you should spend it wiselyâ€

“I understand†I said, “I am not trying to weed even more cash out of you, but I have a deal arranged that I was hoping to complete in the next couple of months, and I was just wanting to know how it would effect the finances of the club, and if it would be wise to follow it upâ€

“Ah, you are talking about Asamoah?â€

“I am yes, I feel he would be a good player to have beyond this season, and he has already proved himself capable at this levelâ€

“We have been rather impressed by him†Hill Wood conceded

“ I am trying to build a new exciting team of young players, and some of these players are ready to contribute now, Gyan is one of those and I feel that if he wants to stay then we should buy himâ€

“I understand, but you have already spent rather a lot in recent monthsâ€

“Indeed I have, and I do not plan to spend so much in future I assure you, but I wanted to change the squad to fit to what kind of team I am buildingâ€

“Well I assure you that we are still behind you 100%†said Hill Wood, “and it is still a priority to invest in staffâ€

“Thank you†I said, relieved

“Well there is money available to you, though only a few millionâ€

“Good, that’s very pleasing. I was just wanting to know where we stood, because I feel that we really should buy the lad. It‘s low risk, because I can get him for so little. I‘m sure you‘d agree the fee agreed is a bargainâ€

“It does seem a reasonable price but we must make sure not to go overboard, and we should also look to bring in money, selling players, slashing wages and winning matches will help thatâ€

“Of course, it remains my priority to win and I am confident we will do that, and I have considered looking at salaries of players†I assured him

“Well, I do not see any long term damage being done to our finances by this deal, there is a little over five million there for you and it won’t effect the club’s health so long as you keep winning and keep down wages, so you may follow the deal up if you wishâ€

“Thank you†it was good news that they were backing my move, and my concerns about the clubs finances were eased, I had spent a lot already and feared that any more would be damaging.

The next day I was in the board room talking to Peter Hill Wood, I had requested a meeting with him to discuss the finances of the club.

“Currently we aren’t in a great position†stated Hill Wood, “We are extremely financially healthy, but there is only small amount of money left to invest. Around £5 million is available to you but you should spend it wiselyâ€

“I understand†I said, “I am not trying to weed even more cash out of you, but I have a deal arranged that I was hoping to complete in the next couple of months, and I was just wanting to know how it would effect the finances of the club, and if it would be wise to follow it upâ€

“Ah, you are talking about Asamoah?â€

“I am yes, I feel he would be a good player to have beyond this season, and he has already proved himself capable at this levelâ€

“We have been rather impressed by him†Hill Wood conceded

“ I am trying to build a new exciting team of young players, and some of these players are ready to contribute now, Gyan is one of those and I feel that if he wants to stay then we should buy himâ€

“I understand, but you have already spent rather a lot in recent monthsâ€

“Indeed I have, and I do not plan to spend so much in future I assure you, but I wanted to change the squad to fit to what kind of team I am buildingâ€

“Well I assure you that we are still behind you 100%†said Hill Wood, “and it is still a priority to invest in staffâ€

“Thank you†I said, relieved

“Well there is money available to you, though only a few millionâ€

“Good, that’s very pleasing. I was just wanting to know where we stood, because I feel that we really should buy the lad. It‘s low risk, because I can get him for so little. I‘m sure you‘d agree the fee agreed is a bargainâ€

“It does seem a reasonable price but we must make sure not to go overboard, and we should also look to bring in money, selling players, slashing wages and winning matches will help thatâ€

“Of course, it remains my priority to win and I am confident we will do that, and I have considered looking at salaries of players†I assured him

“Well, I do not see any long term damage being done to our finances by this deal, there is a little over five million there for you and it won’t effect the club’s health so long as you keep winning and keep down wages, so you may follow the deal up if you wishâ€

“Thank you†it was good news that they were backing my move, and my concerns about the clubs finances were eased, I had spent a lot already and feared that any more would be damaging.

Ahead of our Premiership clash against Portsmouth at the Emirates, Harry Redknapp pinpointed Alexandr Hleb as the main threat. He claimed that Hleb would have to be contained if Pompey were to take anything from the game.

I was slightly surprised at his choice of player, though Hleb has been in good form recently, he is not our key player and was ineffectual for much of last season, perhaps he is trying to put pressure on him. Whatever the reasons I would rather enjoy if Portsmouth failed and Hleb played a blinder.

Team against Portsmouth :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Gallas

Emanuelson

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Rosicky

Van Persie

Moutinho

Sherman Cardenas is dropped from the squad to be replaced on the bench by Julio Baptista. With Moutinho and Rosicky available I feel the teenager would be unlikely to get a game. Micah Richards is rested and replaced by Gallas who has not played since his sending off in the Champions League. Emanuelson returns for Traore after being cup tied for the Champions League.

English Premiership 30/9/2006

Arsenal V Portsmouth

Guess who scored after just 58 seconds?

Yes, it just had to be Aliaksandr Hleb. Seconds in we broke forward, earning a free kick after Lee Young Pyo, Portsmouth’s latest recruit, upended Andres Guardado. Emanuelson centred a cross from the set piece which Hleb headed home. For the second game in a row he had scored early on, and the team seemed to be making a habit of coming out of the starting blocks at speed. Whatever Harry Redknapp was trying to do when praising Hleb, unsettle him? Warn his team about him? It didn’t work. From the bench Joao Moutinho was unable to prevent a snort of laughter as Hleb wheeled away. The young Portuguese midfielder glanced across at Harry Redknapp with a huge grin on his face, the Pompey boss was not looking pleased.

Hleb was involved again as we launched an attack just before half time, having dominated the entire half I was hopefully we could get another goal, and we did, some intricate triangle passing between Gilberto Guardado and the Belarusian led to a chance for Thierry Henry. Just inside the box he picked up the ball and curled home to cap off an excellent.

Seven minutes into the second half Henry, who was tiring and who I had considered taking off at half time was forced off after a collision with Dejan Stefanovic left him unable injured. Van Persie came on but failed to make an impact, and slowly Portsmouth started to claw their way back into the game. It looked too little too late however when Gary O’Neill finally pulled a goal back nine minutes from time, and indeed it was as we held on for the win that moved us up to fourth with a game in hand over all the top three. It emerged after the game that Robin Van Persie had been carrying an injury throughout much of the second half and that perhaps contributed to his lacklustre performance.

Arsenal 2

Hleb 1

Henry 44

Portsmouth 1

O’Neill 81

Man of The Match : Alexandr Hleb (Arsenal)

UNBELIEVABLE! Great read. Ive been uming and aring for a few days now trying to think of a new league to start for myself so i decided to have a read of some peoples stories. Quality, definately kept me occuppied for a few hours and fed my footy manager habit.

good signings with guardado and cardenas both great prospects i haven't seen that winger you got from bordeux im going to have a look at him now. You done well to get asamoah and moutinho as well!

I look forward to reading more!!! icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I have loads of updates on the way which I will post soon, I've been on holiday for the last two weeks which is why there havn't been many new installments and I go back to school soon so playing time will be limited, but there are plenty of updates to come icon_smile.gif

October

Gyan Asamoah has won third place in the Premiership goal of the month competition with his ‘audacious lob’ against Liverpool. Other than that there weren’t any awards for Arsenal. An international break will take place after our game against Bolton.

Baptista, Gilberto, Ricardo, Henry, Gallas, Rosicky, Fabregas and Hleb are all away representing their country while Richards, Walcott, Szcesny and Denilson will be joining up with the youth ranks of their respective nations.

The latest board confidence update shows that the board are pleased with my performance as manager and satisfied with the financial situation. It also indicates that the fans are pleased with my performance, and the progress of the club, they are no longer sceptical of my appointment, although I still have some way to go before winning them over.

The club actually made a profit of £2.46 million last month, which shows the healthy wage budget and bonuses currently in place. Although I am looking to start negotiations with a few players shortly.

Some bad new came back regarding Van Persie’s knock, the Dutchman will be out for two weeks with a damaged heel, while Thierry Henry appears to have suffered nothing more than a slight bruise and is now fully fit again.

Theo Walcott, who has recently been called up to the England U21’s has resumed full training and I am hoping that he will get a game while away with England and return fully fit and ready for football.

Vassiriki Diaby is now in light training after recovering from his broken ankle and is available for the game against Bolton, as is Walcott, but I do not want to rush him and he will not be back in full training for another month.

Team against Bolton :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Gallas

Emanuelson

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Rosicky

Richards

Moutinho

Richard’s replaces Van Persie on the bench but otherwise it is an unchanged squad from the one that beat Portsmouth.

English Premiership 4/10/2006

Reebok Stadium, Bolton

Bolton V Arsenal

Most teams have a so called ‘bogey team’ and it would seem Bolton are Arsenal’s. Trips to the Reebok rarely bear fruit for us, although this is my first game against them. There is much logic behind bogey teams though. In the past Bolton closed Arsenal down quickly, played physical and didn’t shy out of tackles, they also played the long ball game.

Today Bolton were slightly less organised as they adopted ‘kick the sh*t out of them’ tactics. Thierry Henry was the worst victim, a poor tackle from Abdoulaye Faye resulted in a yellow card for the Bolton player, but also an injury to our star striker. He wasn’t forced off, but it didn’t look nice and I worried that he might be out for a bit after the match. Henry got revenge in a much more civilised manner opening the scoring a few minutes before half time with an accurate finish. More was to come from the Frenchman, and on the hour mark he scored a second to put us close to a rare win at the Reebok. Bolton made sure that any win would not be achieved without sacrifice though, Nicholas Anelka dived in on Andres Guardado to crock another of his former clubs staff. The Mexican was taken off to be replaced by Tomas Rosicky who played well.

I decided to take Henry off as well and his replacement Emanuel Adebayor scored a third with a header from a Rosicky cross to seal an emphatic win. Barr the injuries, it was a reverse of what Arsenal normally receive here. Another impressive win, and I let the team know how pleased I was with them.

Bolton 0

Arsenal 3

Henry 44, 57

Adebayor 81

Man of The Match : Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

Good and bad news could be found in my office today, the board are delighted with the win over Bolton and sent a message of congratulations, I later received a visit from Peter Hill Wood to say well done, but the news on Andres Guardado is not great. The Mexican winger is out for a month with strained knee ligaments. Thierry Henry is fine however, once again it was just a slight knock and he doesn’t require physiotherapy. I am planning to play Tomas Rosicky out on the left while Guardado is injured, despite my thoughts about playing him down the middle earlier in the season although I could move Emanuelson to left midfield and have Clichy at left back (as he is nearing recovery).

International fixtures have begun and England continued their good form in the Euro qualifiers with a 6-0 win over FYR of Macedonia. None of my players were named in the England squad, that is unsurprising as I share my predecessor Arsene Wenger’s view that if you are good enough then nationality, so I would rather have players from other countries that play more my style than players from England who play a different way. Although, unlike Wenger, I do feel concerned at the often spoken about problems with youth in England and I would be quite proud to see some of my Arsenal squad playing for England, that is why I am pleased to have got Micah Richards. He is the sort of player I could do with at the club and also a likely future England regular. Theo Walcott will also one day be a regular fixture in the team as well, I am confident of that.

Two Arsenal players who did play for their nations, both scored. Aliaksandr Hleb and Tomas Rosicky were both on target as Belerus lost 2-1 to Romania and Czech Republic were held to a 1-1 draw by minnows San Marino.

The injuries are now starting to flood in as international matches take place, Joao Moutinho is out with a thigh strain he received in action for the Portugal Under 21’s and is out for about a week, he should be better before too long though and hopefully the break will not provide any more irksome injuries.

The Premiership team of the week has been released and I was pleased to see William Gallas and Gyan Asamoah included. Gallas has been very impressive on his return to first team football.

England improved yet again to romp to a 3-0 win over Croatia at Maksimir. France came up with the biggest win though, managing a 9-1 over the Faroe Islands with Thierry Henry on target twice.

This is the end of the International break, thankfully, I never enjoy them as they result in too many injuries, and the team returns to action against Aston Villa in a few days.

Team against Aston Villa

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Gallas

Emanuelson

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Rosicky

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Richards

Van Persie

Obertan

Moutinho’s injury paves the way for a place on the bench for Robin Van Persie, who has just recovered from injury, while Gabriel Obertan is named in an Arsenal squad for the first time as Tomas Rosicky replaces the injured Guardado at left wing.

English Premiership 14/10/2006

Villa Park, Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Arsenal

Tomas Rosicky made the perfect start in his first competitive game for the club, opening the scoring after eleven minutes with a pinpoint diving header. If the Czech was looking to stake his claim for a first team place on the wing then he had done well. Another eleven minutes had passed when Thierry Henry scored his seventh league goal of the season and tenth in all competitions, this was arguably his best so far as he took the ball out wide and curled in a half volley that Thomas Sorenson barely saw as it flashed past him.

More dominance was to follow with an own goal from Martin Laursen ten minutes into the second half ending any hopes Villa had of rescuing a point, some pride was restored in the ninetieth minute by Luke Moore when he hit in a late consolation goal, but we had already finished the game and it couldn’t detract from the win. Although he hadn’t scored it was Gyan Asamoah’s jinking run to goal and swerving shot that was deflected in by Laursen that led to a third goal and he was once again the best player on the pitch, showing he can make a big contribution even when he doesn’t score, I am delighted with him and if he can keep this up for the rest of the season he will be challenging for the end of season awards at the club and in the division.

Aston Villa 1

Moore 90

Arsenal 3

Rosicky 11 Henry 22

Laursen (og) 55

Man of the Match : Gyan Asamoah (Arsenal)

Both Gael Clichy and Phillipe Senderos are back in full training now, though Senderos is likely to have limited chances this season due to the number of defenders available to me.

Five of the squad have been selected in the team of the week this time around, Kolo Toure, Gallas, Rosicky, Henry and once again Gyan Asamoah all made the first eleven.

Armand Traore has twisted his ankle and will be out for three weeks. I am really not at all in the know when it comes to physiotherapy, being a former scout, when Gary Lewin asked if I would prefer Armand to receive injections or not I simply stared at him, “Injections???†I said, “on a twisted ankle? I never though you could do that. Err no…. no thanks I’d prefer him to undergo the normal physiotherapy routine â€

After leaving my office I headed for the press conference for the Arsenal - Roma match, I normally enjoyed these occasions (when not under a lot of stress) because I like speaking out and telling things my way, but it can get tiring when the media start asking stupid questions to provoke you

“How confident are you of maintaining the club’s 100% record in the Champions League against Roma tomorrow?†asked a reporter as soon as I had taken my seat next to a club official.

“The team is in good shape and I am looking forward to it, if we play our best we will beat Roma I feel, on their day they can beat anyone in Italy, on our day we can beat anyone in Europe, so I am confidentâ€

“Roma are currently lying mid table after a string of disappointing results, do you think you can take advantage of their poor form?â€

“Serie A is different to the Champions League, so I would look more at their game against Moscow and Galatasaray , Roma had a fantastic win over them earlier this season and so that should tell you what kind of a threat they pose. I am not too concerned how they did against Ascoli at the weekend, we should concentrate on our game, and if we do that we will win.â€

“They are also without their skipper Fransesco Totti, who is injured, how do you think that will effect them?â€

“Obviously it is a blow for them, he is a great player, but the only player I can even remember making a team is Diego Maradona and possibly Pele, both of whom sometimes dragged their teams onwards, and so Roma will still be dangerous.â€

“How do you think Roma will approach the game?â€

“Teams from Italy are well organised and difficult to break down. A lot of people will say attack is sometimes the best form of defence, well I think it is the other way round as well. I think they would be happy with a draw, and although I don’t expect it, I would not be surprised if they sat deep and defended, in this case that would be the best form of attack because we do not play to combat defence, we play to hit teams on the break, but however they approach it we will find a way, I have a strong squad and I can change tactics well because of that, so having a plan b should not be a problemâ€

“Which players do you think will be keyâ€

“All of them, the strikers Thierry and Gyan must keep their good form and I need my defence on form as well, they are all importantâ€

“How confident are you of qualifying and, if you do qualify, who will accompany you into the next round?â€

“Very, and the team in second place†I replied

Team against Roma :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Hoyte

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Rosicky

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Richards

Moutinho

Obertan

Cardenas

Justin Hoyte is given a surprise first game of the season, in for the ineligible Emanuelson, while Moutinho returns to the bench after injury, Obertan is also named in the squad.

Champions League Group C Game 3 18/10/2006 Emirates Stadium, Arsenal

Arsenal V Roma

After all the excitement in the build up to this match, it was fairly uneventful. The team kept up their handy habit of scoring early on, Gilberto Silva found the back of the net to get off the mark for the season. Moments later the Brazilian almost doubled his tally when his header cracked off the bar, but that was to be the end of the scoring as a few chances came and went amid some good passing. The only other real incident of note was Tomas Rosicky’s injury in the 26th minute, the Czech midfielder was hacked down by Daniel De Rossi and the resulting scream of pain told its own story, stretchered off and in immense discomfort, he was replaced by Van Persie, who had played most of his games in midfield this season, and not made much impact. Justin Hoyte also picked up a knock, but was able to continue. The second half was much the same but with even less incident, and the game petered out into a not boring but uneventful match, with us the winners. Near the end of the match I got a message from Gary Lewin telling me that Rosicky had broken his leg. It was devastating news, and amid sympathy for Rosicky I also felt glad that at least Guardado would be returning in a few weeks, and Moutinho would be capable of fulfilling Rosicky’s duties in the middle of the park.

The incident cast a shadow over proceedings , as we nevertheless moved a step closer to Champions League qualification.

Arsenal 1

Gilberto 3

Rosicky (inj.) 26

Roma 0

Man of The Match : Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

Extensive scans have been performed on Rosicky, and the Czech midfielder will be out for five months, a sickening blow for not only the player and his leg but the club as well.

The latest injection of cash from TV revenue, gate receipts and prize money saw our balance improve significantly, which is very pleasing.

Team against Newcastle :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Emanuelson

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Walcott

Obertan

Walcott is called up to the squad while Emanuelson moves to left midfield, Gallas moves out to left back leaving a hole where Richards returns to his central position.

English Premiership 22/10/2006

Arsenal V Newcastle

We looked comfortable once again in the first half, dominating play and producing some good passing moves, but it was right at the end of the half when Urby Emanuelson , revelling in his new midfield role, struck with a glorious effort from some way outside the box. Gyan Asamoah, who is producing an extraordinary amount of assists at the moment headed on for Emanuelson to curl a fantastic effort in with his left foot.

In the second half Thierry Henry looked certain to double the lead before Steven Taylor made a heroic last ditch tackle to deny the striker, but we were not to be prevented for too long, and on seventy minutes Henry sealed the win with a rare header, Urby Emanuelson enjoying his new freedom, crossing in the ball for Henry to get on the end of.

Arsenal 2

Emanuelson 45

Henry 70

Newcastle 0

Man of The Match : Urby Emanuelson (Arsenal)

Urby Emanuelson has been named in the Premiership team of the week, placed in his most recent position of left midfield. Emanuelson will be given a break in our next match however, I am looking to rest several players in our League Cup game against Derby. Youngsters like Marchisio, Diaby, Obertan, Cardenas and Walcott will be given a game

Team against Derby :

Enyeama

Hoyte

Djourou

Richards

Clichy

Obertan

Marchisio

Denilson

Cardenas

Moutinho

Walcott

Subs :

Senderos

Ricardo

Van Persie

Baptista

Diaby

A handful of players make their first starts for the club, Enyeama, Marchisio, Cardenas, Moutinho and Walcott are those players, while the defence all have more experience, with Clichy, Hoyte and Djourou all recognised defenders at the club and Richards an England U21 International with several Arsenal appearances this season. Ricardo is named on the bench, but unless Lehmann gets injured this season he is unlikely to play much more than Mart Poom did. Diaby is also named in the squad for the first time since he broke his ankle last season. The youngsters line up with a 4-3-2-1 formation to accommodate both Moutinho and Cardenas, while Denilson is played out of position on the wing. Arturo Lupoli, who would perhaps be playing against them were he still at the club, is in Derby’s first team for the game, he is on loan there and will be looking to make a good impression against his parent club.

League Cup Third Round 25/10/06

Arsenal V Derby

The first half was incredibly even, with my young Arsenal team perhaps just shading it, but it was clear they were yet to get used to this formation and weren’t playing at their best. Soon after the break however, Paul Boertien got himself sent off for a second yellow after shoving Sherman Cardenas. Then the game started to sway in our favour and Theo Walcott broke the deadlock on fifty six minutes with an absolute wonder goal and a great strike to grace his first start. Walcott picked up the ball just past the halfway line as we launched a counter attack and sped past three defenders before curling the ball in past Lee Camp. The game was finished five minutes later as Gabriel Obertan powered a header into the goal from a Denilson cross. Derby were beaten and to compile matters they went down to nine men when Mo Camara lost his head and elbowed Obertan in the face with ten minutes left, the Guinea defender was shown a straight red and is likely to be given a huge ban now. The one Derby performance that did stand out was that of Giles Barnes, who stood out among his team mates with after a decent game. The midfielder has been on my radar for a while and I will be keeping an eye on him, but I would like to wait for him to progress before making any possible move for the teenager.

Arsenal 2

Walcott 56

Obertan 61

Derby 0

Boertien (s/o) 48

Camara (s/o) 80

Man of The Match : Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Joao Moutinho picked up a knock against Derby and is out for a week with a damaged elbow, to be honest I would rather another player kept suffering these little injuries as Moutinho is proving very useful even at his young age. The 2-0 win sees us pick up £30,000 in prize money

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Telegraph

Arsenal Still On Track With Unproven Wulfric

It’s still early days in Tom Wulfric’s Arsenal career but things are looking rosy for Arsene Wenger’s successor, Gunners fans still miss the French professor and his eye for youth but thirteen wins in the last fifteen games for Arsenal have assured fans that the club is still moving forward. When Wenger left there was an air of defeatism among fans and even some players, but soon people began to talk of ‘a world class manager’ taking over and continuing the Frenchman’s good work, but when talks with World Cup winning coach Marcelo Lippi broke down, fans and pundits started to doubt the club’s future. Doubt turned into fear and anger when the Gunners appointed former Portsmouth reserve team boss and scout Wulfric. Protest against the 20 year old’s shock appointment were made and fans booed Wulfric at every opportunity. Although he is a fair way off being put in the same class as the other managers in this division, Wulfric has now got the fans on his side after an impressive string of results. Only Chelsea and Manchester City have come out of an encounter with Arsenal with points this season and the club boast a 100% record in the Champions League as well, having beaten Roma, CSKA Moscow and Galatasaray convincingly. These good results have not come cheaply though, Wulfric has already spent over twenty million pounds at the club, and only numerous sales could help him spend so much, with Lauren and Freddie Ljungberg among the big names to have departed this season. “The support of the fans and the board has really helped†said Wulfric, “They have given me money to spend and I needed that, and the fans are a great asset.†A spokesperson for the official Arsenal fan club also commented on Wulfric’s achievements, “Everyone was sceptical at first because he wasn’t very well known but the fans are very pleased with the progress the club has been making and we are all in full support of his management of the club now. It was a tough act to follow what with Arsene’s success at the club but he’s done well so far.†Wulfric is well aware that a succession of bad results could cost him however, “I’m under no illusions†he claimed, “If we start to shoot down the table then people will start saying I should go because I still don’t have a big reputation and the board can’t say ‘but look at what he’s achieved in the past, stick with him’, because I am so inexperienced. A top four finish is absolutely vital, not just for my future but for the club’sâ€. Talk of a top four finish for the Gunners hasn’t been a regular occurrence recently though, after seven wins out of nine in the Premiership Arsenal now sit top of the league on 21 points, two points ahead of surprise package Fulham, and three ahead of Manchester United. Champions Chelsea are well down in eleventh after losing four games already, they will have to improve if they are to retain the title, while at the bottom it’s the three clubs that came up this season that sit in the relegation places. Sheffield, Watford and Reading are all three points behind Wigan who are in seventeenth. In other competitions the draw for the League Cup Fourth round is today with no upsets in the last round the hat is full of top flight teams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put down the newspaper and headed to yet another conference, this time to talk about the teams chances against West Ham, and recent comments made to the media by Alan Pardew, who I must say I have not taken a liking to.

“Mr Wulfric, what do you make of Alan Pardew’s claim that Arsenal are not good enough to win the league this season?â€

“Let’s just say that we have more chance of winning the league than they have of avoiding relegation, I presume he is jealous that he will win nothing more than a couple of points at West Ham while we challenge for major honours†I replied, enjoying criticising Pardew.

“West Ham are currently in 15th place, how do you see the game panning out?â€

“I don’t think where they stand in the table will make a great deal of difference, I would be no more concerned if they were second, because they have had difficult matches recently, Man United and Liverpool both beat them narrowly, and before that they won three games in a row against teams nearer the bottom. It’s logic that they would have more chance against lesser teams, so you can’t read much into their form, it’s really been non existentâ€

“How confident are you of maintaining the club’s seven game winning streak against a team that you failed to beat last season?â€

“I am not entirely sure how they beat Arsenal last season, but I would say there was a fair bit of luck involved, and my team are better than West Ham, there is no two ways about that, so if we play to our best I am sure we will win.â€

“Moving on to transfers , could you tell us a bit more about Matteo Cassani, and what role you expect him to play at Arsenal when he arrives?â€

“He is an extremely versatile player and the times I have seen him play I have been impressed by how disciplined he is. He should offer good cover for Emanuel Eboue at right back which is something we haven’t really got at the moment. He is still young and is learning so I will not be expecting too much from him straight away but I am confident he will become a good player for us.â€

“Will this signal the end of Justin Hoyte’s career at the club?â€

“No, if Hoyte plays well and proves to me that he should be here he will stay, and he will get his chance but of course he will have to keep working hard because there is a lot of competition for the whole defence nowâ€

“Is there any more news on the injuries to Joao Moutinho and Andres Guardado?â€

“Unfortunately Guardado is still out for another two weeks, but Urby Emanuelson is doing very well covering for him, and Moutinho is out for a week, though he may be able to return before that because his elbow is healing well and I do not think it too much of a risk to play him like he isâ€

“A few hours ago Arsenal were pitted against Middlesbrough in the League Cup Fourth round, what is your take on the draw?â€

“We would be up for it whoever we are facing and they will make it tough, especially with it being at the Riverside, but we can give them a gameâ€

“Are you intending to stick with your youngsters for the game?â€

“I have full faith in them and they should play, yesâ€

Team against West Ham :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Emanuelson

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Walcott

Obertan

Jens Lehmann starts once again in goals, as Ricardo awaits his first appearance for the club. The German has started every game bar the League Cup clash with Derby, the same goes for Kolo Toure. William Gallas plays at left back again ahead of Clichy who is now recovered but lacking match fitness, I am planning to give him some reserve team football before returning him to action in the first team.

English Premiership 28/10/2006

Upton Park, West Ham

West Ham V Arsenal

Fit and refreshed from the midweek break when the youngsters took on Derby, the first team was raring to go. The players were faster and sharper than ever and came out at speed against a West Ham side who had almost all played the midweek cup game at a Old Trafford. Despite dominating early on we failed to get that early goal to settle the nerves. A golden opportunity presented itself to Thierry Henry after twenty minutes but he hit the post when clean through on goal, moments later he was denied again, this time by Robert Green who dived at full stretch to claw the strikers effort away. It was only a matter of time though, and when Eboue put Henry through again ten minutes before half time he couldn’t miss, tapping past Green after evading George McCartney’s flying tackle. West Hams defence had been sliced open and now it was starting to crumble, Alexandr Hleb picked up the ball out wide and curled the ball in and Gyan Asamoah was there to meet it with his head and double the lead. Asamoah was proving a brilliant signing, albeit a temporary one, he has been our best player of the season, officially getting an average rating of 7.9 per match, he also had 7 assists and 4 man of the match awards to his name before this match, a remarkable achievement. Our two goal lead was a comfortable one, but things got even better in the forty fourth minute when Asamoah glanced a header on over the West Ham defence for Henry to slide in and make it 3-0. West Ham were sunk and the game was finished. At half time I told the players how pleased I was, but I could not help but feel they would ease off in the second half, as they so often do.

After the restart the players kept playing well, putting together some good moves, but they knew the game as over, and there was not as much intent in their play. In the sixty third minute Urby Emanuelson somewhat limited our left sided options, the Dutch midfielder somewhat stupidly hacked down Marlon Harewood with two feet in full view of Mike Riley, who was quick to brandish a red. With Rosicky crocked for five months, Guardado for two and Clichy not yet back to full fitness this was extremely bad timing. I exchanged a few words with the defender as he walked off, and was glad to see him look remorseful as he disappeared into the tunnel. I then had a tactics reshuffle, moving Henry to left wing and playing Asamoah on his own up front but this didn’t work too well. Asamoah and Henry both played well but it wasn’t as effective. Micah Richards began to move forward more however, supporting our attacks and also getting back to keep West Ham out, not even his brilliant defending could stop Mladen Krystajics deflected freekick going hwoever. When the Hammers were awarded a set piece to the right of the box the Serb’s cross hit the wall before bouncing past Lehmann.

Mike Riley evened up the numbers five minutes later when he sent off Nigel Reo Coker for a late tackle on Kolo Toure, but the game was already over and the final whistle blew to see us go five points clear at the top of the table ahead of Manchester United, who are second.

West Ham 1

Krystajic 75

Reo Coker (s/o) 80

Arsenal 3

Henry 36, 41

Asamoah 44

Emanuelson (s/o) 63

Man of the Match : Micah Richards (Arsenal)

After their strong performances against West Ham, Gallas, Richards and Henry have all been named in the Premiership Team of The Week.

There is hardly any rest for the players as we are off to Italy today for our match against Roma at the Olimpico in Rome. I shall not be joining the players and staff on the plane back to England though, I am planning to stay in Italy to see Palermo face Pasching in the UEFA Cup. I want to see Mattia Cassani and Cristian Zaccardo in action, although Cassani has recently been moved to the bench following Zaccardo’s return to right back, so it is likely I will only see Zaccardo play.

The team arrived in Rome yesterday and the big game is tonight, if we win then we will be within touching distance of the next round, though Roma are the favourites at their home ground. They have also pulled themselves together since we last played them, and are second in Serie A behind Inter Milan after three straight wins.

Team against Roma :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Van Persie

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Marchisio

Walcott

Obertan

Clichy

Ricardo

Van Persie comes in on the left wing for Emanuelson who is inelegible, while the bench is given an overhaul as Ricardo, Clichy, Obertan, Walcott and Marchisio all travel to Rome

Champions League Group C Game 4 31/10/2006Olimpico, Rome

Roma V Arsenal

Just as they were in the game at the Emirates, Roma were caught out by our speed in the opening stages as Theirry Henry opened the scoring after a flick on from Toure, who had powered through the Roma midfield like an express train. The Ivorian exchanged passes with Van Persie before flicking on for Henry to drive across the face of the goal and open the scoring. Burning from having fallen behind so soon Roma started to play fiercely and their skipper Fransesco Totti was cautioned when he came to blows with Theirry Henry, who also picked up a yellow for upending the Italian. Not long after Roma were down to ten men when Mancini was sent off for elbowing Jens Lehmann in the face in the crowded penalty area while Totti prepared to take a corner. This proved costly to Roma, who struggled to get back into the game while we passed the ball around with ease. In the nineteenth minute we were given the chance to double our lead when Daniel De Rossi was judged to have pushed Gyan Asamoah in the box, Alex Hleb stepped up but his penalty was saved by the towering Massimo Doni. We finally did score a second in the twenty ninth minute however when William Gallas’ serving shot was tipped away brilliantly by Doni, only for Asamoah to pounce on the rebound.

In the second half the skilful, intricate play of the first forty five started to turn into a battle. Tackles were fought out brutally and players really dug in as we fought to keep Roma out, and at the same time, break down their well organised and hard working defence. Cards were accumulated and free kicks awarded while Roma began to lose the battle. The efficiency and effort of Gilberto Silva started to take it’s toll on the whole Roma team, as they were brought down by our hard work and skill. The midfield partnership of Gilberto and Fabregas seized control of the midfield and didn’t let go as we poured forward in search of a third. It never came, but by the end of 90 minutes the Roma players were well beaten and it was obvious they had suffered from being down to ten men. Mancini offers them width, flair and energy and they were at a disadvantage, but that didn’t detract from a very satisfying and important win. At the end a total of ten players were on yellow cards, though only three of them were Arsenal players, with Van Persie and Eboue joining Henry in Markus Merk’s book.

Roma 0

Mancini (s/o) 14

Arsenal 2

Henry 2

Asamoah 35

Hleb m/p 19

Man of The Match : Gilberto Silva (Arsenal)

After the match news filtered through to celebrating fans and players that due to Galatasaray’s win over CSKA Moscow, we had qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, 6 points ahead of Roma and 9 ahead of Galaasaray. It was great news, as the players could now focus on domestic football until the new year.

Real Madrid and Inter Milan have also both qualified already having won all their matches as well. We have been awarded another £220,000 for the win over Roma.

Our superior head to head record with Roma also means we will qualify in first place, as they cannot finish the group with more than 12 points, the total we are now on.

November

The team is now back in England, although I remain over in Italy for another two days. Peter Hill Wood contacted me to congratulate me on the club’s qualification and inform me that I had won the Premiership manager of the month award, with William Gallas scooping the player’s award, and top scorer Thierry Henry coming second in the same category. Gyan Asamoah has also come second in the young player’s award behind Hungarian Peter Mate. I was delighted with my first award of the season, and of my career at the club, I knew that I had come a long way, and now had the fans behind me, which helped me concentrate on doing well.

The Palermo - Pasching match was a dull affair, and I left ten minutes from time. Mattia Cassani was indeed a sub as the game began, and David Di Michele opened the scoring within two minutes for Palermo. No more goals followed though. Cristian Zaccardo played the whole match and put in a decent performance, but I already knew he was an excellent player, just one I couldn’t afford right now. Cassani stayed on the bench for the whole match, and after the game I went to have a chat with him. He had already started to learn English, he had really grasped the language well and was surprised to see me.

We took seats in Palermo’s player and guest lounge an hour after the game.

“Bovo injured for four months†he explained, referring to his teammate Cesare, who had been out for some time with an injury, “So I play at right back and Cristian Zaccardo goes to centre back. But Bovo came back one week ago, so I compete with Zaccardo againâ€

“Would you mind being reserve at Arsenal?†I asked, “You have Zaccardo to compete with here but we have Emanuel Eboue back in Englandâ€

“I fight for my place†he said dismissively before moving onto talk about the game on Tuesday, “I saw the Roma match†he formed a circle with his fingers, “The team play very well. Nice to see Roma on the losing side. We play them weeks ago, diving all around the place, all of them. Bastardi â€

“Yes, it was a good match†I smiled, “You will be playing those games next season hopefully, but your boss decided to get you cup tied before you could join usâ€

Cassani scowled, “I have more matches in the UEFA Cup before I come to England, so that is not so badâ€

“Anyway I must go now Mattia, I‘ve got to get to the airport soon†I shook his hand, “I look forward to seeing you in Januaryâ€

Back in England both Armand Traore and Diaby are back in full training after their injuries but Sherman Cardenas will be out for two weeks with a thigh strain after awkwardly striking a ball in training. Injuries are becoming more regular again which is disappointing.

More bad news came in later when I got a fax from the Premier League disciplinary comitee informing me that Urby Emanuelson would be suspended for a further two matches, meaning he will also miss the games against Middlesbrough and Tottenham in addition to tomorrows game against Everton, I wouldn’t have played him against Middlesborough anyway though, as that is a League Cup game, he would have been rested.

On top of all this David Moyes has decided to voice his doubts over my teams ability ahead of our Premiership clash. “Wulfric has a lot to learn†he was quoted as saying in the Times, “I see nothing in their team to be overly concerned about, and I don’t think they will be able to put together a good title challenge.â€

Leaving the training ground that afternoon I was bombarded by reporters wanting to hear my thoughts about David Moyes’ comments.

“I don’t think it’s his business where the title ends up, because he won’t be challenging for it†I said, “If there is nothing worth being bothered about at Arsenal then I don’t know how he can rate Everton. I have no problem with them, they are a good team, but I would be more concerned trying to stop Thierry Henry than James Beattie.â€

“What do you think of David Moyes as a manager?â€

“He has done well at Everton, but he has much to learn. It’s not all about how long you have been managing it’s also about real success, something he hasn’t made happen. He has more experience than me but he isn’t a much better manager because of that, if he is going to write us off then that is his choice, but even if we don’t win the title you cannot say it is a failure. We aren’t expected to, and I am building a team here.â€

“How pleased are you with recent performances?â€

“I am very pleased with the players, they are blending well and really putting in the effort. We have been unfortunate with injuries recently and it was a huge blow to lose Tomas like that, but players have come in and done really wellâ€

“How happy are you playing Van Persie on the left?â€

“It isn’t ideal and he would rather play up front, but Asamoah and Thierry are working very well and it is very competitive there at the moment. But Guardado is back before too long and so is Emanuelson so we will have more options then, but if Robin keeps working hard, and he will get his chance, then he will play more but there is no point breaking up the squad now.â€

“Guardado was playing very well before he sustained the injury, how do you think he will be when he comes back?â€

“It always sets a player back but we will return him back to full fitness and then he should start to play well again, it is just unfortunate because he was playing so well, and then Urby came in and did well but he will have missed four matches when he returns, the English ones and the game against Roma where he was ineligible.â€

“How do you think the Everton game will go?â€

“If we play our best I will be happy, because then we should win, but I am not prepared to discuss the game so near to kick offâ€

Some lovely updates Tom: love the acerbic ripostes to some of the Manager mindgames being attempted against you... icon_wink.gif

one thing though: surely you cant be 20? Isnt there a thing in the computer programme that means you must be at least 30 in the game when you choose your date of birth?

That's true - in the game I am actually in my thirties, but for the purposes of this story (where I want it to reflect my true age a little more accurately) I have decided to have my age a bit younger, well, about 15 years younger actually.

Archived