Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Marchisio

Walcott

Obertan

Van Persie stays on the left in Guardado and Emanuelson’s absences, it is the same first eleven and first five subs that were named against Roma.

English Premiership 4/11/2006

Emirates Stadium, Arsenal

Arsenal V Everton

David Moyes’ comments to the media before the game served to fire up the players as they once again took the opposition by surprise with an early attack on goal. There was an element of luck involved as Gilberto Silva opened the scoring three minutes in after his shot deflected off Tim Cahill and past Tim Howard, but our ferocious opening play merited the early lead. This was now rapidly turning into one of our best performances of the season as Emanuel Eboue looked set to score, before blasting over. The second goal came just before the half hour to arrive however when Alex Hleb Thierry Henryscored a header, three minutes later Thierry Henry was on hand to increase the misery for Everton with a cool finish inside the area, his fifteenth in all competitions this season. The team came in at half time, and I knew what had happened and what was going to happen. In matches the players respond to my instructions well, they play very fast from the kick off, and then get a few goals, which is very good, they even sometimes kill the game before half time. But then they ease off slightly after half time, still playing very good football and not giving away too much, but not going for more goals, and this is what makes it difficult when we don’t score early. The team tire themselves out trying to break down a defence at speed in the first half, and in the second, when it’s still all the play for, they can end up missing out. Although the team have only failed to win two all season, I sense that when things stop going our way, and we are unlucky at times, we will lose points and get very tired. For now however, the team is playing exceptionally well, and if we always play like this we will win.

The players went out for the second half after the 15 minute break and I knew they wouldn’t try as hard to score, they would now invite Everton to attack before breaking away and it would most likely hand us the win, but sooner or later this plan would be foiled, probably by Chelsea, who I had difficulty analysing last time we played them, given their numerous back up plans and formations.

The team put in an excellent second half display, as I had hoped, and we kept the clean sheet for a 3-0 more good performances from the whole team, but once again Micah Richards’ defensive contribution in the second half and threat from set pieces in the first had earned man of the match.

Arsenal 3

Silva 2

Hleb 28

Henry 31

Everton 0

Man of The Match : Micah Richards (Arsenal)

Top Of The Premiership :

1. Arsenal------played 11, points 27

2. Man Utd-----played 11, points 22

3. Fulham------played 11, points 22

4. Liverpool---played 11, points 20

Man City are doing well in 5th place, while Chelsea have improved slightly and are in 8th. Reading have moved out of the relegation zone after some good results and they have been replaced by Wigan, who have been sucked in after a string of losses.

Top Of Serie A

1. Inter-------played 11, points 22

2. Roma-----played 11, points 19

3. Cagliari---played 11, points 19

4. Chievo----played 11, points 18

Palermo are a point behind Chievo in 5th while Milan are climbing up the table after overcoming their 8 point deduction, they are 13th but would be 3rd had they not been deducted points. Fiorentina are still in minus points after a string of poor results and lie at the bottom on -5. Udinese are one of the main underachievers, sitting in 14th, though Lazio are also struggling, they find themselves in the relegation zone but also have a substantial points deduction.

Top of La Liga

1. Madrid----- played 12, points 29

2. Seville------played 12, points 24

3. Deportivo--played 12, points 21

4. Osasuna----played 12, points 20

Two Spanish giants are really struggling in Spain this season. Champions Barcelona are playing surprisingly badly, down in 13th after four losses and three draws, though Valencia aren’t doing any better, they are two below in 15th . Celta, Gimnastic and Racing are all in good form, they are 5th 7th and 8th respectively, and have been the surprise packages of La Liga.

Our position at the top of the Premiership reflects in the team of the week as Lehmann Richards and Hleb are all selected after playing well against Everton. Lehmann and Hleb will both be rested for the League Cup tie against Middlesbrough on Tuesday, I am looking forward to giving the youngsters another run out

Our Premiership game against Tottenham has been rearranged for December because of their UEFA Cup commitments.

Team against Middlesbrough :

Enyeama

Hoyte

Djourou

Richards

Traore

Diaby

Obertan

Moutinho

Denilson

Clichy

Walcott

Subs :

Ricardo

Senderos

Baptista

Marchisio

Van Persie

Cardenas is omitted because of his injury so I go for a 4-5-1 with Diaby the holding midfielder in his first game back from injury. Clichy replaces Van Persie on the left, I am planning to rest Van Persie in the first half, then Clichy in the second by bringing him off for the Dutch striker.

League Cup 4th Round 7/11/2006

Riverside, Middlesbrough

Middlesborough lined up with their strongest team, Yakubu and Viduka up front, and Stewart Downing captaining the side on the left. The first half was fairly even though, and the Arsenal youngsters had the better of the chances with some good goalkeeping from veteran Ian Walker keeping the scores level. Four minutes from time the task got harder when Gabriel Obertan got sent off for a foul on Emanuel Pogatetz. But just before half time Gael Clichy went on a darting run, before laying off Walcott for the youngster to get his second goal of the tournament. Middlesbrough had more players, but we had more goals, and at half time we had played better, but they had player capable of changing the game in an instant. I switched to a 4-4-2- diamond at the break, with Denilson playing wide right, where Obertan had been. Gael Clichy was injured, but able to continue. I took him off for a rest anyway though and hoped the injury wouldn’t be anything serious, he had only just returned to action. Van Persie came on in his place.

In the second half Boro failed to take advantage of being a man up, and were outplayed by the young Gunners, Mark Viduka had a chance to level things, but was denied by a last ditch tackle from Johan Djourou. It proved to be a costly miss, moments later Diaby chipped a pass over Jonathan Woodgate for Denilson to run onto, when the Brazilian got there however he was challenged by Emanuel Pogatetz, who deflected the ball in off his shin by accident. 2-0 up was much safer than 1-0 and it took the sting out of Middlesbrough, who started to look weary. Justin Hoyte picked up a caution, and Moutinho an injury, but other than that it was a very good win.

Middlesbrough 0

Arsenal 2

Walcott 44

Pogatetz (og) 67

Man of The Match : Micah Richards (Arsenal)

Gary Lewin came to see me today to tell me that Joao Moutinho has suffered a bruised rib, nothing too serious, and he’ll be back in full training in four days.

Better news from the Cup match was that we had been awarded £70,000 for the win.

The phone rang just as I was contemplating what I was going to have for lunch.

“Ham sandwich†I said stupidly as I picked up the phone

“Sorry?†said the voice at the other end

“What? Oh!†I just realised what I had done, “Yes, sorry what erm, who is this?â€

“It’s Pat, boss†came my assistants voice

“Oh right, Hello Pat, what is it?â€

“I have Benfica manager Fernando Santos on the line, a secretary tried to direct him to a club official but he insisted on speaking to youâ€

“Okay, put him on then†I said, curious.

There was a click, “Hello?â€

“Hello Mr Santos, how can I help you?â€

“I am looking into your player Anthony Stokes†he said without pre amble

“Anthony?†I replied, surprised

“Yes, that is correct, I am interested in bringing him to the club. I wanted to know how much you would consider for him.â€

“Well he is a very promising player†I said, not wanting to give away that I was delighted someone wanted him now, and that they weren’t waiting until his contract ran out in the summer, “But he has a price. We have set a figure of £2,800,000 on him.â€

“Very good, I shall get back to you. Good day Mr Wulfric†the line went dead.

I was surprised at his interest, I was expecting Stokes to move on a free to a Championship club in the summer, but if Benfica were to make a bid that would be very good. It isn’t that I don’t think he could be useful at Benfica, more that I was surprised they weren’t waiting for the summer. He is a good player and he will cost a few million more now.

I left the office to join the rest of the squad upstairs where they were watching the League Cup Quarter Finals draw. With Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United and Tottenham also in the draw it was going to be very exciting. We avoided all four though.

Draw

Arsenal..........v.....Wigan

Aston Villa......v.....Man United

Tottenham........v.....Portsmouth

Chelsea..........v.....Liverpool

To be honest I would have fancied anyone except for Chelsea, but I was disappointed to see Man United and Tottenham both drawn with teams that they are comfortably better than, because United are also strong contenders for the trophy and Tottenham should also get through. If it had been United-Chelsea and Spurs-Liverpool the semis would have been easier. But I still relish the big games, and if we beat Wigan we are almost certain to get one of those. We actually play Wigan next, in the Premiership at the Emirates.

This was my last meeting with a lot of the team for a week as they were all off to play for their Nations, as another dreaded International break was upon us. My only dislike of them was the injuries sustained by the players during them, unsurprisingly, I do not want the squad broken up by injuries.

Andres Guardado told me he is ready to resume full training, and I went to see Gary Lewin, who confirmed the player can now return. I am planning to include him in the reserves in their game against Portsmouth.

Gabriel Obertan’s ban has been extended, which is infuriating as it was two yellows for two silly but unintentional fouls. Hardly worth a three match ban.

Andres Guardado skippered the reserves as they drew 1-1 with Portsmouth, the Mexican lasted 70 minutes and I am hoping he will be fully fit again soon.

Justin Hoyte has pulled his hamstring and is out for two weeks, the blow is softened by Clichy’s return to full fitness and Urby Emanuelson’s iminent return from suspension.

I'm following this story because I'm a Arsenal fan and when I play FM I'll do it with the same approach. Never get that many players because I suck at negotiations.

I hope you keep doing good. I'm also happy to find a Colombian -being a Colombian myself- in the Arsenal's rooster.

Team against Wigan :

Lehmann

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Walcott

Moutinho

His good form in the League Cup earns Theo Walcott a place in the squad while fit again winger Andres Guardado returns on the wing, pushing Van Persie to the bench. Gallas at left back again, the position he has taken from Urby Emanuelson, who has been suspended..

English Premiership 4/11/2006

Arsenal V Wigan

Having been away on international duty, the players returned to club action a little more tired than usual, and although the team didn’t immediately recapture the form they had been in before the break we started to get more and more into our rhythm as the match went on. Aliaksandr Hleb managed to get an early goal, which was vital. After half time the players improved their game significantly, starting to play like they had before they had gone off with their countries. On the hour mark Thierry Henry doubled the lead and bagged the three points when he met a Guardado cross on the volley. Guardado was one of the players who stuck out, despite having been injured, the Mexican looked more as though he had just had a short break, he was a sharp as anyone and only narrowly missed out on the man of the match award. Wigan wouldn’t go without a fight though, and with time ticking they pulled one back through Svetoslav Todorov, but we held on for the three points.

Arsenal 2

Hleb 5

Henry 60

Wigan 1

Todorov 83

Man of The Match : Aliaksandr Hleb (Arsenal)

The victory against Wigan saw us extend our winning run to seven games which I am absolutely delighted with. The new signings have really done well and have been very important, but I am concerned that one season of success may lead to extremely high expectations, and then if I don’t win the Premiership or whatever next season, I will be sacked. My plan for the club doesn’t involve winning the title this season, that wasn’t my expectation. I wanted to have a shot at it but it is not so bad if we don’t win it this year, I am building a team that should be in the top two or three in the world in a few years, not now.

William Gallas has been named in the team of the week once again after a good performance against Wigan, but Alex Hleb was kept out of the select by Cristiano Ronaldo.

We are travelling to Russia tonight for the team’s return to Champions League action on Wednesday, I am very much looking forward to the game, though several big players will be rested and remain in England.

• 3 weeks later...

Team against CSKA Moscow :

Ricardo

Denilson

Djourou

Richards

Traore

Obertan

Moutinho

Marchisio

Guardado

Asamoah

Walcott

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Lehmann

Van Persie

Senderos

Clichy

Cardenas

Champions League Group C Game 5 22/11/2006

Dinamo, Moscow

CSKA Moscow V Arsenal

With some of the younger players in the line up I knew we would be hard pushed to maintain our 100% record, and so it proved as Moscow broke the deadlock after twenty minutes with a strike from Jo. That was it for the match, as both sides played out an un entertaining game. I told the players to attack more at half time but they just couldn’t find anything and meekly surrendered the 100% record put in place by the seniors. Moscow were much the better team and would have scored more had it not been for the outstanding Ricardo, who I am considering playing in our next Premiership game. It was interesting to see Ricardo, who was on the losing side, outshine Igor Akinfeev to win man of the match. The Portuguese played very well and was brought to the club after my bid to sign Akinfeev failed. With Lehmann still playing at the top of his game, Enyeama developing nicely and Ricardo, at thirty, yet to reach his peak, I felt the need to buy any more goalkeepers was not great.

CSKA Moscow 1

Jo 20

Arsenal 0

Man of The Match : Ricardo (Arsenal)

Team against Fulham :

Ricardo

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Emanuelson

Moutinho

Emanuelson takes his place on the bench after returning from suspension, and Ricardo takes Lehmann‘s spot as number one after impressing in the Champions League.

English Premiership 25/11/2006

Craven Cottage, Fulham

Fulham V Arsenal

I was looking forward to seeing how the team would cope against Fulham, who are the surprise package of this season and sit second in the league. Their success has been built around a 4-5-1 formation that we have not encountered too many times this season, and I guessed they would look to stifle us.

They proved extremely well organised in the opening stages as we failed to get our usual early goal. Fulham may not play the most exciting football in the league, but it was among the most effective and organised as they closed us down and didn’t give the ball away. We managed to make the breakthrough though in the 32nd minute when the ball broke luckily to Gyan Asamoah who slotted home, it was a vital goal, and I hoped it would open the gates for more but that was the only incident of the first half, and when the second started, it looked like there would be no more incidents in the whole game, there was in fact one more. And it was a wonder goal from Simon Elliot, eventual man of the match, that ended our winning streak. He picked the ball up thirty yards out and curled in a magnificent effort. Nobody could do anything about it, and I hadn’t a clue what to do next. I knew that Fulham wouldn’t give anything away with their new found organisation and hard work.

So in the end I watched on in disappointment as we settled for the draw, there were literally no chances in the last twenty minutes, Fulham had defended brilliantly. At the end I had nothing but encouragement for Chris Coleman. “You’re doing a great job, and you really deserved the point, well done†I said as we shook hands, knowing full well that as the lesser experienced manager I really shouldn‘t have been encouraging or analysing the situation for an older manager.

Fulham 1

Elliot 70

Arsenal 1

Man of The Match : Simon Elliot (Fulham)

The main disappointment of the Fulham match was that next up were Man United at the Emirates, I had wanted to get all three points so as to feel that say, a point against United would be very good. I have to say, I would take a point, but all the same it would have been better to go to the match on the back of a win. Arsenal are the form team however, with seven wins and a draw in our last eight games we are comfortably at the top of the league, we are five points ahead of United, and if we win it will be eight. It’s the second big game in a couple of days, with the United match moved to Tuesday for television coverage, we have only a short break before the game at the Emirates.

Team against Man United :

Ricardo

Eboue Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb Gilberto Fabregas

Guardado

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Emanuelson

Moutinho

Ricardo keeps his place in goal as I stick with the team that drew with Fulham. I stuck Kolo Toure on Wayne Rooney, with Micah Richards watching Scholes, but I made sure the players did not concentrate on man marking Ronaldo, he can be stifled using our normal zonal, if all goes well, though I fear we may not be able to keep him quiet. Thierry Henry was given a licence to just attack, and encouraged to have a dribble with the ball, and make plenty of dangerous forward runs to confuse Man United’s defence, though that was another difficult looking task, baffling Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic. Although Vidic didn’t look to calm last season, he had been improving this year as the months went on, and now looked reliable at the back. Man United also lined up with Tomaz Kuzcack in goals, the Polish international displaced number one Edwin Van Der Sar earlier this season and the Dutchman has been on the bench ever since.

English Premiership 29/11/2006

Arsenal V Man United

Just eight minutes in Thierry Henry had the crowd roaring when he tucked the ball in to send us ahead against our bitter rivals, but the joy was shortlived as the linesman’s flag was held up to indicate offside. Already Alex Ferguson was on his feet, yelling at Rio Ferdinand, who should have been watching Henry. The United fans took delight in the offside, and started a rendition of ‘you’re not singing anymore’. This got even louder in the 13th minute when Nemanja Vidic played Wayne Rooney in with a wonderful long ball, and the striker skilfully lobbed the ball over Ricardo. “Now why couldn’t he have done that in the World Cup Quarters?†I thought to myself as the chunky striker slid on the grass in front of the United fans, yelling in delight. The Englishman’s first goal against the Portuguese goalkeeper just had to come in this match, didn‘t it?

The atmosphere in the ground was incredible, more so than it had been all season. United’s away fans were loudest, but soon the gooners brought back up the volume, screaming the team on. The team started to wrestle control of the game from Man United, and started to create more chances, Andres Guardado should have scored in the 19th minute, when clean through on goal, but dragged the ball wide. It didn’t matter though, moments later Gilberto Silva jumped high to win an aerial challenge with Scholes, and headed onto Thierry Henry, from a narrow angled the Frenchman waited for the ball to reach him before sliding the ball past Tomasz Kuszczack. 1-1, and the Emirates got even louder. Man United looked in a bad way, they were proffesional, but losing the lead so soon had thrown them off their feet, and they certainly weren’t ready for what came next. From the kick off United launched an attack, but a one two between Scholes and Carrick was read and intercepted by Micah Richards, who decided to risk it and advanced into United’s half with the ball, before passing to Henry. The Frenchman took a touch on the outside of his foot to spin Nemanja Vidic and then play in Gyan Asamoah, who had been neglected by the United defence. Asamoah hit the ball just as Gabriel Heinze slid across, but it was sweetly struck and neither Heinze nor Kuszczack could do anything as the net rippled with Asamoah’s strike. Alex Ferguson was beside himself, in just two minutes his side had surrendered the lead, and fallen behind. Even I was amazed at what had happened, but refused to get drawn into the manic celebrations taking place around me. “Sit down!†I insisted as Martin Keown leapt into the air, fists clenched. But it was hard to contain myself, when we had fallen behind I felt it was going to be very difficult, and although it wasn’t easy we had turned the game on it’s head.

We were now in control, Man United were in trouble, they weren’t playing anywhere near their best now. Rooney, Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs had all had the sting taken out of them and weren’t producing anything. I could tell they were desperate for half time, they needed to regroup and come out and equalise, then they could take the game to us. I sensed our opportunity to increase the lead, making it more difficult for United. As we approached half time the players got better and better, and with eight minutes left of the half, when it looked like we would go in at 2-1, William Gallas came forward to support an attack from the wing, he floated a cross into the box where Alexandr Hleb rose above Giggs to head home. The Arsenal bench went mad, and I joined in this time, jumping up and clenching my fists. The goal served to fire us up even more though, and it was another quickfire double three minutes later, Henry picked up a pass from Fabregas, he accelerated past Vidic and then easily beat Kuszczak to increase the humiliation. The Emirates was rocking, the crowd could scarcely believe what they were seeing. 4-1 up against Man United! Sensational.

The teams went in at half time, and I almost felt sympathy for United, who I was sure were going to get the hairdryer treatment from their boss. Sure enough, when I was telling the players how well they had done, I heard raised voices from the nearby dressing room where United now were. ‘Keep it up’ was the message I gave out to the players, somewhat different to what Fergie would be instructing his team. As we went out it emerged that Paul Scholes had got injured and would be replaced by Alan Smith.

The second half began, and Man United were a better team, they had benefited from their manager’s wise words and kick up the bum that they needed, and looked ready to give a decent shot at a comeback. My players were also ready though, and didn’t lose control of the game, Cesc Fabregas coming close to getting on the score sheet with a close range effort. Amazingly nobody had been booked in the first half, but when Gary Neville slid in on Gyan Asamoah Graham Poll, the referee was urged to give Neville three yellows by a nearby section of fans. Poll decided one would suffice, and Neville became the first player to go in the book. Asamoah was not content however, and returned the favour by upending Neville to get in the book himself moments later. From the resulting free kick, Michael Carrick somehow created a chance for Wayne Rooney, playing the striker in at the far post, but Kolo Toure saw the danger and moved quickly to clear the ball. Rooney’s frustration showed as he went in late to get the ball as Toure cleared, he fouled the Ivorian to earn what would incredibly be his first booking of the season.

The game settled down after a few more minutes, but with only twenty minutes to go Man United sensed that their time was up, and that they were going to lose. Arsenal were in control, and would not surrender control, and with six minutes left we scored a well earned fifth to send the crowd into raptures. It was Thierry Henry again, and this was the pick of the bunch, as he picked up the ball near the halfway and advanced on Rio Ferdinand, suddenly he put on a burst of acceleration and sped past Ferdinand before speeding past Gary Neville as well. In the area, there was no way Henry was to be denied his hat trick, and he passed the ball into the net, away from the flailing arms of Kuszczack to cap a sensational game. It was of course the hat trick hero who won man of the match.

Arsenal 5

Henry 20, 40, 86

Asamoah21 Hleb 37

Man United 1

Rooney 13

Scholes (inj.) 45

Man of The Match : Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

The media is having a field day after our win over Man United, and the win has delighted the fans and board, and if I’d been offered four points out of six in the games against Fulham and Man United I’d have taken it, our unbeaten run is now nine games, and eight of those were wins.

The team is back in action on Saturday at Vicarage Road to take on Watford in the league, but unfortunately Andres Guardado is unlikely to feature, as he suffered a stubbed toe in the game against Man United and Mr Lewin informs me that he will be out for at least a few days, probably a week.

I have two days before the match on Thursday, but I suspect the media will be more interested to hear about the win over Man Utd than anything else.

December

Just as I started to get ready for the upcoming press conference on Thursday I got a call from Arsenal, telling me that Benfica have made a bid of £1,900,000 for Anthony Stokes. I told them to accept the offer. It was quite incredible, in my eyes, that they didn’t just wait until the summer to get him on a free, and also that they were willing to spend so much on him. Perhaps they decided to move now to avoid extra competition, I thought. But two extra million is a bit much to spend just to make sure you get someone. It didn’t really matter to me anyway, I hope he does well wherever he goes but the more money the better, as I don’t see a future for him at the club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mambaman:

nice one Tom-always good to see United get a drubbing icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

City fan?

Can't say I don't agree with you tho...

Good story Tomunco icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomunco:

This is my first story on Arsenal on the forum (The club I usually start all my careers with and the one I support). I was inspired to write this by a story about Real Madrid that I recently read on this site. I thought it was great and decided to write this. This is not as good and hasn’t really got any personal side stories, it is completely on football but I hope you enjoy anyway, even if you don‘t I really enjoyed writing it so I don‘t mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this story is fukin ***** u loser, get a life u sad ****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> this story is fukin ***** u loser, get a life u sad **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sort of post is not wanted here Marklufc-I have reported this post and you to the Moderators

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yh sorry I havnt been updating Ive been busy and have stopped playing fm now

There are more updates to come but the story is finished now. I just havnt got round to posting the updates (and there are lots still to come)but unfortunately I dont have time to keep playing icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Press Conference

“I am delighted with the win†I told gathered reporters once the conference had begun, “Much credit is due to the players, they really dug in and are on a remarkable run now, just how well the team is playing is reflected in the club’s league positionâ€

“How important do you think that win was?â€

“It was important because it showed that we can beat the best in the league, and that we can match the rest of the teams up there, and of course it is another three points on the board, so there is that as wellâ€

“Arsenal weren’t really expected to mount a serious title challenge this season, you were seen more as outsiders in the race, have you raised your expectations as the season has gone on?â€

“My expectations were for the team to try their best, and at the least get a top four finish, as we must qualify for the Champions League, and that has not changed, there is such thing as too much of a good thing. If we win everything this season then we must top that next season, my aim is to build a successful team here, and we must be patientâ€

“Are you saying that perhaps success is still some way off for Arsenal?â€

“If by that you mean winning trophies then yes that could be the case, I hope the fans trust me as I build this team, because if I am given time then we will become very successful. But we are playing better football than anyone else in the league and as well winning more matches, so we will see how it goes.â€

“Do you not think that some of the older players like Thierry Henry and William Gallas will get frustrated if by the time the club is successful, they are about 32, 33?

“They are hungry for success of course but if they believe in the future of the club then they will stay because they will know that we will win things. They can decide their own futures, but this season they have both been superb and nothing but professional.â€

“Speaking of Henry, the World player of the year award is decided tonight befor e December begins, and he is in there with the candidates, how do you rate his chances?â€

“Thierry has never won the World player award or the European award, which I think is scandalous, and if anyone deserves it this year it is him. He has been fantastic this season and he was superb last season as well, so I think he is in with a real chance.â€

• 3 weeks later...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setanta Sports

Henry Wins Elusive World Player Award

Arsenal’s Thierry Henry has won the World Player of The Year Award after his fantastic performances of the last twelve months. The striker has never won the prestigious award before, often finishing runner up or third, which manager Tom Wulfric described as ‘scandalous’. Henry was quick to acknowledge his manager’s contribution, stating that Wulfric was a key reason for his success. Wulfric played down these claims however, “Thierry is always modest, but he must take the credit for this, it is fully deserved†Wulfric told the Daily Telegraph, “He has been superb this season and the season before, and if I remember correctly, the four seasons before that as well. The real mystery is why he has never won this or the European one before, I am very pleased for him.†Henry has also won the Premiership player of the month award for November after his hat trick against Manchester United in the league recently, while his team mates Alexandr Hleb, Micah Richards and Andres Guardado were also successful in the monthly awards. Hleb came second behind Henry in the player award, while Micah Richards walked away with the young player award and Guardado came third in the same category. Meanwhile manager Tom Wulfric came second to Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho in the manager of the month category.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team against Watford :

Ricardo

Eboue

Toure

Richards

Gallas

Hleb

Gilberto

Fabregas

Emanuelson

Asamoah

Henry

Subs :

Adebayor

Baptista

Van Persie

Lehmann

Moutinho

Guardado is out with a stubbed toe, so Emanuelson comes in, the rest of the team is fully fit and unchanged.

English Premiership 2/12/2006

Vicarage Road, Watford

Watford V Arsenal

Looking at the league table, this should be a win for Arsenal. On the rare occasion that they avoid a thumping, they tend to scrape a draw, so points are hard to come by for the Hornets, it was a typical case of having to focus though, as so many teams fail to do against the bottom clubs.

Watford started sluggishly, looking unsure whether to just put men behind the ball or to look to find their front line by working up the pitch. They were slow to close down and our quick passing game caught them out completely, Alex Hleb, one of our most in form players opened the scoring in a matter of minutes, guiding in a header from close range. It was the Belarusian’s sixth of the season in all competitions, and fifth in the league. I am very glad now that I did not sell him to Inter in the transfer window, there is no chance they would be able to prise him away now. Henry nearly doubled the lead when one of his trade mark free kicks curled just wide, but it was a rare attack from Watford moments later that brought us the biggest scare of the game so far, Mathew Spring dispossessed an all too casual Micah Richards near the area, but with only Ricardo to beat he shot to the goalkeeper’s right, the Portuguese produced a superb save to deny Spring, who looked disbelieving as Richard’s recovered to hoof clear. That was to be Watford’s one chance of the half though, and we took the game to Watford, but after missing chance after chance we were forced to accept our slender lead at the break. Our carelessness in front of goal was punished shortly after the break when the Hornet’s second shot of the game brought us back to level terms. Tommy Smith made space for a drive at goal and Vicarage Road erupted as the ball went in. Immediately after the goal Aidy Boothroyd could be heard shouting at his players “Defend! Defend! Keep it tightâ€.

The next twenty minutes of the match saw Watford defend heroically, though how we didn’t break them down sooner I havn’t a clue. We left off where we had started before the goal at kick off, and poured forward, intricate passing and speedy runs evident, and finally, in the 65th minute we were rewarded for our dominance, Cesc Fabregas pouncing on a loose ball from a corner to put Arsenal back in front. That was the hard bit done, Watford could no longer defend, they had to go forward in search of an equaliser, and that would mean it was easier for us to break through their defence. Twelve minutes were left on the clock for Watford, who hadn’t had a shot since Tommy Smith’s goal, when Henry finished the game. Watford were coming forward, searching in vain for a second goal, but they lost it to Hleb, and when the Belarusian found Henry in acres of space, it was clear that this would be the end of Watford’s resistance. The World Player of the Year rode a late challenge from Danny Shittu to slot home for what was incredibly, his 20th goal of the season. That was some achievement, as we had only just begun December.

Watford could be credited for never giving up despite being beaten, an attitude no doubt instilled in them by their enthusiastic manager Aidy Boothroyd, who I find among the most likeable managers in the division for his honesty and refusal to take the whole credit for anything himself, preferring to share it among his team and staff. His players plugged away until the very end, but in truth we could have scored more, only some excellent goalkeeping from Ben Foster, keeping the scoring down. It was yet another vintage performance from Thierry Henry that took the plaudits though, but the whole team played well, in particular Urby Emanuelson, filling in for Guardado.

Watford 1

Smith 48

Arsenal 3

Hleb 5

Fabregas 65

Henry 78

Man of The Match : Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

Hey Tom. This is a fantastic story best i've read.

I was a little worried only spotted this yesterday and have spent some time catching up. I thought you were going to leave us high and dry at one point.

KUTGW!! When you talk about your schooling if you are doing any English or Media you should submit this work as it is some top notch writing also.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived