FM difficulty...

13 hours ago, CFuller said:

And why exactly is that? Could you care to explain that?

Juventus - Ajax at Champions League is the answer about tactics.
Already posted to suggestion forum about vertical and horizontal lines.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you select high defensive line and low line of engagement wouldn't that make your team more vertically compact? Or vice versa. And there are roles and duties to further change positioning. I'm able to play low block, where my team is preetty vertically compact exept for striker who is set as AF and there is huge gap beetween him and my midfielders.

Since this is a thread About FM's "difficulty":

Fun fact and Kind of a paradox, if you will: The more customizing and Micro tweaks are added to the tactical engine, the less competitive the AI is going to be… It cannot maximize the Options that are already in -- and will never use them as "intelligently" as a human Player focused on them will. This would only multiply with more Options. The Impact of this could likely be lessened some by making the entire "tactical decisions" process more streamlined, so no Long-winded combinations of the Right mentality, roles and duties to achieve a certain effect  -- but more straight Forward "Football Options" to pick.

Perhaps the tactical presets already are a part of moving in that direction. I can still never see SI making this some Kind of hardcore challenging game. The aforementioned Pathfinder RPG despite its optionally cakewalkd "story mode" is a fairly niche Thing -- and whilst spreadsheet based Management games in General are a bit "hardcore" in itself, that's clearly not intended to be SI's target. They want to reach the broader Football audiences, and even more, as some ad blurb on the Steam store pages had it: "Win any title on the world with any Team in the world" (or something like that). Which is perhaps one of the more popular trends in game development in General, ever since "gaming" has become a Mainstream passtime itself: Making Things more accessible, less frustrating, less complex and in many cases challenging (that said, in Fairness FM has never been a hardcore challenging game. That doesn't mean one can't voice concerns over some of it).

5 hours ago, Mitja said:

wasn't team shape also about vertical compactness, more fluid being more compact? is it still working under the hood, depending on players duty combinations?

horizontal lines can be manipulated by team width and other TIs and also by different PIs. 

You don't understand what I am saying on this topic. It's not about player roles or duty combinations.

Since I am hold UEFA A, distance has huge effect. Horizontal and vertical lines is A & Q in tactics. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag this thread up but I just need a rant.

My biggest problem with the difficult of FM19 is not certain tactics being OP. Rather, the AI just runs big clubs into the ground after a few seasons. I spent 5 seasons at PSV, winning the league every season, which isn't thaaat unrealistic. However, I only had genuine title contenders in two of the five seasons. Ajax was sick in the first season and took me to the final day. Then they fell off the map, despite seemingly doing well in the transfer market and having a good squad. They just drop points against **** Dutch teams all the time. In the fourth year AZ ran neck and neck with me for most of the season, but at that point my squad was just too good to not win the Eredivisie. (Side note: I only won one Dutch Cup, super frustrating as I always fielded a very strong team in the games that I got knocked out, the AI just takes their chances at a ridiculous rate in domestic cup games it seems. Was never knocked out by Ajax/Feyenoord/AZ either.)

Anyways, I was hired by Dortmund and moved to the Bundesliga where Bayern's dominance had been halted by Leipzig. Bayern won 2 leagues and Leipzig won the other 3. I took over a Dortmund team that had just finished 8th. Approaching the end of my first season and I'll likely finish somewhere between 3-5. Nothing too unrealistic about my own games. However, a Bayern team that spent a net 400 mil in the transfer window is likely going to finish second....to Mönchengladbach, who haven't bought anybody of significance and finished 10th last season. Leipzig on paper should have been in the top 2 with Bayern and instead are gonna finish 5th or 6th.

It's getting late and I'm sleepy and I forgot exactly where I was going with this, but I just wish the big clubs were more dominant. It's just frustrating because I know that in a year or two I'm going to have a squad that is comparable to Bayern but I'm gonna walk the league over them since they will just drop points all over the place that they shouldn't be dropping. They might even fleece me every time I play them but they'll be held to road draws against Holstein Kiel and St. Pauli or some ****, etc. An RB Leipzig who had just established themselves as a German powerhouse and sold one key player (while also spending handsomely) are all of the sudden not even gonna qualify for the CL once I joined the league. I assume that on paper there should be some epic Bayern/Leipzig/Dortmund title races coming up but it just won't play out like that. 

I'm suffering from a bit of burnout because I'm finding the game too easy and have done for a long time now. I can't remember the last time I was unsuccessful at the club, but I suppose that's what playing the game for 22 years does.

I find it’s the right level of difficulty for me. I’m not great with tactics, so will download one in the shape I want to play and then slowly adapt it to more my way of playing, which won’t be as successful as the original but makes it more rewarding when I win something.

For example in my current save I was Bristol City manager for 3 seasons, quit after finishing 15th in the prem, moved to Sweden and win the treble double with Malmo, moves to Yeovil and scraped back to back play off wins, got the Bristol City job back and have so far guided them to a 5th and 11th place finished but with a Europa league win so am in Champions League this year and currently 4th.

Not realistic as such but it’s not like I’m running away with the title each year, but I’m not gonna get sacked either!

Archived