[FM19] Manchester United

zlatanera

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, AMAC04321 said:

Who have people used for their right mid, if they have one. I can't decide to either wait and use Chong or go get someone. 

Try Oyarzabal / Chiesa / Cengiz Under.

I did stick with Lingard - he's quite good this year. 

12 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Struggled with that as well,have you tried the Gegenpress?

If you don't mind plug and play tactics, go try Knap beowulf tactic 4-2-4.  Fit nicely to Man Utd squad, may need some investment on AMR. 

Only Liverpool could give you problems or occasional brain-snap a red card in 10th minute. 

The downside is that it rains yellow, now on my 2nd season, been fined quite a lot. 

5 hours ago, AMAC04321 said:

Who have people used for their right mid, if they have one. I can't decide to either wait and use Chong or go get someone. 

Chiesa is doing well for my Utd team in my save, I sold off Lingard to Arsenal for £50m so I can have Chiesa as my AMR winger and then it planning on using Angel Gones as his back up

Anyone at all managed to sign Leon Bailey?

Guy is who I want most for that RW role. But he starts the game off having signed a new deal, and I'm being quoted 232m pounds, along with the inability to unsettle him.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions here? I'm looking for a RW whose role is winger but is proficient in front of goal, so this discounts Federico Chiesa.

34 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Anyone at all managed to sign Leon Bailey?

Guy is who I want most for that RW role. But he starts the game off having signed a new deal, and I'm being quoted 232m pounds, along with the inability to unsettle him.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions here? I'm looking for a RW whose role is winger but is proficient in front of goal, so this discounts Federico Chiesa.

You can get Bailey in the second year. About 90-130 Mn $. Other than that, Pulisic is quite decent as RW/AMR.

Chiesa is an odd one in front of goal.

In my beta save he was my top goal scorer during preseason with 8 goals in 5 matches and then I think he had like 7/8 during the season.

Only just started my main save and he didn’t score in preseason but in my first 6 games I believe he has 2 goals and 6 assists in all comps

12 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

Chiesa is doing well for my Utd team in my save, I sold off Lingard to Arsenal for £50m so I can have Chiesa as my AMR winger and then it planning on using Angel Gones as his back up

Ive thought about that or going and getting like Robben or someone like that and waiting for Chong to improve. 

1 hour ago, AMAC04321 said:

Ive thought about that or going and getting like Robben or someone like that and waiting for Chong to improve. 

I did think about that but then I decided on Chiesa in case Chong or Gomes (I’m using both as back ups on either flank) get any serious issues that limit their growth.

An older player is only a stop gap where as having Chiesa, Ching and Gomes gets me set for at least 10 seasons

9 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

I did think about that but then I decided on Chiesa in case Chong or Gomes (I’m using both as back ups on either flank) get any serious issues that limit their growth.

An older player is only a stop gap where as having Chiesa, Ching and Gomes gets me set for at least 10 seasons

How much did he cost?

5 hours ago, AMAC04321 said:

Are people using Dalot or going and getting someone else?

Dalot grows to be a beast, and is already a good rotational option. His only problem, really, is his pace.

Who’d people buy for the right wing, lingard and alexis can play their but sanchez has under performed for me? 

Also any good options for a player who can play both fullback on the left and right like young, preferably a backup player 

21 minutes ago, brxd said:

Who’d people buy for the right wing, lingard and alexis can play their but sanchez has under performed for me? 

Also any good options for a player who can play both fullback on the left and right like young, preferably a backup player 

Sanchez is a beast upfront, as an Advanced Forward. Has very good movement, and good enough pace to play that role really well. For the right, in the first season, go for either Pulisic, Pavon or Chiesa. All three are really good. In the second season, you have more options, although Bailey is a beast playing there.

As for a FB who can play both sides, Dalot himself can do that, and do it well. Otherwise, Ethan Laird in your U18s can also put in a shift there. If you are looking to bring someone else in, Joshua Vagnoman is a pretty good option. Young and backup. Someone a bit more established (and a former favourite) would be Mattia de Sciglio.

Edited by Sherkey

Think ill have to start a new save soon, there's hardly any challenge in this one anymore.  I'm only on the second season by boxing day and Andreas Pereira is the league's top scorer with 8 goals.  Last season Martial ran away with it, with Rondon at second with like ten goals apart, this year the big clubs like Liverpool and City are hoving outside the europa places.  Wolves is 3rd and Newcastle 2nd with Rafa doing a great job, signed Balotelli on a free on the second season and he's killing it with 8 goals 7 assists so far.  They also signed Barkley in the last winter window (had the first summer disabled) and he's also chipped in 7 goals and the magpies are back on top.  I dont want to be a part of this world.

Alright so I have a major dilemma. It's called goals.

I'm 5 games into the season, playing a short passing control possession tactic, with a low tempo. I've barely scored any goals. I've come up against Burnley(2-0), Watford(1-0), Chelsea(0-0), Huddersfield(1-0), and Brighton(1-0). My defence is rock solid, and I've created around 30 shots a match, with about half on target, and around 11 being long shots. Up until the Brighton game, where I switched to high tempo, the fans are rating the football as boring, but even then, I failed to convert my chances. However, my biggest win was a 5-2 win(should have been 7-2, but for Lukaku being a donkey), over Barcelona, where I totally dominated, ripping them apart.

Under Match prep, I also get the con: Have managed just 10 goals from 352 touches in the opposition box. Not really sure what to do here. I need help, but this is my style. I don't want to use someone else's tactic or try a different playstyle because that would defeat the purpose of FM for me.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, if not playing Pogba as your AP(S), what do you play him as to get the best out of him? I have Fred as a DM on DLP(S)(Matic is out for 3 months), with De Jong ahead on AP(S), alongside Pogba as a MEZ(S), but it results in Pogba being highly ineffective.

27 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Also, if not playing Pogba as your AP(S), what do you play him as to get the best out of him? I have Fred as a DM on DLP(S)(Matic is out for 3 months), with De Jong ahead on AP(S), alongside Pogba as a MEZ(S), but it results in Pogba being highly ineffective.

Up your tempo so your players are a bit more decisive in and around the box.

As for your midfield trio, try playing De Jong as DLP/S in DM, Fred as MEZ/A and Pogba as B2B next to him. 

I'm taking Utd back to the glory days of Ferguson - 4-4-2 with Wingers - what a dearth of them there is! It seems that everyone I find who I like the look of and people speak of on the forums are inverted wingers, Bailey, Bruun Larsen, Under, Sancho, to name a few.

Really trying to find a pairing in the Beckham/Giggs mould but it's going to be hard!  Currently rotate either Martial at LM as a winger - Big red dot in the tactics but plays reasonably well, and rotate him with Pogba as a wide playmaker, who again does well out there.

Mata has played well as a wide midfielder for me on the right, but is now out for 5 months with a popped achilleas, and with that, probably the rest of his physical attributes will be done.  Had lined up Carlos Soler as my RM but he's done the same too!

I'm finding it hard to figure out who to buy, have never liked to go for the big names and popular buys, though Skriniar looks very good.  Just flogged Smalling to Chelsea for £13M and Darmian to Napoli for £8M.  Hoping to bring back TFM, Tuanzebe and Mitchell to provide cover next season.

Currently sat top, 2 points over Liverpool at Xmas (Fabinho is insane by the way).  

@Pedro I used Martial as a WM-At to great effect on FM18 - his traits gave him variation to his play. I then switched him to AMR as W-Su and he was also great - his Crossing isn't great but he got into the area and cut back from the byline quite a lot so it was more like passing.

All them guys who are Inverted Wingers though, why not just play them on the opposite flank? i.e. Bailey is left-footed but a natural AMR from memory, why not just play him on the left? 

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Really trying to find a pairing in the Beckham/Giggs mould

Giggs was a winger, Beckham wasn't. Wingers have pace and dribbling - Beckham had neither. I'd say SAF rarely used two wingers - off the top of my head, I think only Nani and early Ronaldo were right-sided wingers of recent years (Valencia also, but he wasn't good at it). If you want a Beckham-type, I'd be looking for someone with excellent crossing - in FM18 Herrera was brilliant as a WM-R. As Zlat says, Martial is perfect in the WM-L role, and I think a WM on one side and a Winger on the other is the way to go. But don't focus on role/duty greens; look for the attributes you need.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Giggs was a winger, Beckham wasn't. Wingers have pace and dribbling - Beckham had neither. I'd say SAF rarely used two wingers - off the top of my head, I think only Nani and early Ronaldo were right-sided wingers of recent years (Valencia also, but he wasn't good at it). If you want a Beckham-type, I'd be looking for someone with excellent crossing - in FM18 Herrera was brilliant as a WM-R. As Zlat says, Martial is perfect in the WM-L role, and I think a WM on one side and a Winger on the other is the way to go. But don't focus on role/duty greens; look for the attributes you need.

Kancheslskis was an old school winger.

Once Kanch got running no stopping him, would love to see another one like him in modern game, don't think we will though, an amazing motor in his prime, we still got a good season and half out of him, we we had him sooner and longer.

Just had to reminisce on YT.

Giggs was a winger, Beckham wasn't

Beckham was like a static IF stay wide playmaker, but very very good at what he did, Giggs a managers dream a real left winger.

Stuck my nose in before, hope you Devils don't mind a Toffee asking a question. Have any of you developed Callum Gribbon, if so does he do well. He looks good in my game and wondered if he was worth a punt?

20181113182330_1.thumb.jpg.4675cac5a708fad7147deebdd78c5f76.jpg

53 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

Stuck my nose in before, hope you Devils don't mind a Toffee asking a question. Have any of you developed Callum Gribbon, if so does he do well. He looks good in my game and wondered if he was worth a punt?

I developed him last year, useful player, his ambitious personality means he will train hard and improve his stats to become better.  Chips in with free kick goals and assists here and there, not consistent enough to be a top player and iirc eventually i replace him after about 4-5 seasons, although he never complains and I think i even had him on a month-to-month for awhile after his contract expired.  Eventually replaced by the regens pushing through.  This year I didn't develop him on my first save because Gomes and Pereira are ahead of him and are also versatile enough to play on the flanks as well as the middle.  But i started a new save where I will only sign u18 and try to use academy talent so will try to develop him to replace Mata.  tl;dr - Good technical ability and ambitious personality makes him a useful and better player than his stats suggest.

3 minutes ago, Sky said:

I developed him last year, useful player, his ambitious personality means he will train hard and improve his stats to become better.  Chips in with free kick goals and assists here and there, not consistent enough to be a top player and iirc eventually i replace him after about 4-5 seasons, although he never complains and I think i even had him on a month-to-month for awhile after his contract expired.  Eventually replaced by the regens pushing through.  This year I didn't develop him on my first save because Gomes and Pereira are ahead of him and are also versatile enough to play on the flanks as well as the middle.  But i started a new save where I will only sign u18 and try to use academy talent so will try to develop him to replace Mata.  tl;dr - Good technical ability and ambitious personality makes him a useful and better player than his stats suggest.

Think he's my kind of player, good squad player rotation+cup games, I will see what happens come jan or end of season, though my real target is troy parrot at Spurs but they wouldn't sell in my last save. I'm preparing for my Brexit announcement and using my players agents to find young prospects from the big6

6 hours ago, blue heron said:

Up your tempo so your players are a bit more decisive in and around the box.

As for your midfield trio, try playing De Jong as DLP/S in DM, Fred as MEZ/A and Pogba as B2B next to him. 

Tried this. Didn't work. Still getting around the 20 shots mark, without about 9 on target and about 11 to 13 of them being long shots. I've actually sat playing the same match for around 6 hours now(insane, I know), with variations of the tactic and style and have got the same result each time. The only goals I seem to score are from set pieces and an impossible amount of rebounds. I don't hink I've scored from one piece of good football.

I now reiterate my point that FM15 was the last good FM. The ME doesn't make sense anymore. It just implies that players are rather stupid. Plus I've noticed the game has a miscalculation on what an offside is. Sorry, just a rant. Frustration from FM18 and its ridiculous missed chances to FM19 and its unrealistic shooting.

48 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

@toffee71 I was just re-reading this thread and the post in that link has a screenshot of Gribbin in the 2020s. I'd assume he wouldn't get much development by the AI Mourinho before that poster signed him and he still looks pretty good. 

Only thing I don't like about him, can't tackle and isn't brave, but I reckon I may have a go a making him a PF, his got pace and can finish. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 hour ago, MatthewS17 said:

I've actually sat playing the same match for around 6 hours now(insane, I know), with variations of the tactic

That is insane - a lot of what affects the match happens in the week or two before: morale, player confidence, tactical familiarity, training. Why would a few tactical tweaks on the morning of the match make a big difference?

And I'm sure it's no consolation, but I'm also struggling with goals. My strikers can't score, early season my midfield carried the load but now those goals have dried up. Frustrating isn't the word!

That is insane - a lot of what affects the match happens in the week or two before: morale, player confidence, tactical familiarity, training. Why would a few tactical tweaks on the morning of the match make a big difference?

And I'm sure it's no consolation, but I'm also struggling with goals. My strikers can't score, early season my midfield carried the load but now those goals have dried up. Frustrating isn't the word!

I get your idea about timing, but even with the lack of goals, morale was good, and my dressing room atmosphere and cohesion are near maxed. Pogba, Martial and Rashford all getting 10s in training and nobody had below a 7.However its extraordinary that I couldn't score a single goal from open play. Like, at all. And I find it pretty hard to believe that a team can have 401 touches in an opposition box, but just 7 goals in it(4 in one match, and it was 3 penalties and a FK rebound, the other 3 were corners, and another penalty) just to have the ball passed back to Pogba so that he can blaze it over. I'm trying not to be salty, but the entire ME seems flawed. Your CF is next to invisible the entire match, your wingers barely seem able to cross or beat their man, preferring a back pass instead, returning it either to the wingback, or the midfielder who fires over. The movement of attacking players is out of balance as well.

Anyway, all this is besides the point. I'm just gonna return to FM18.It's issues seem lesser, and manageable.

Finished my 2nd season, won the league with 100 points, only two losses. Got knocked out in CL semis by Atletico and won FA cup. I was planning to sell Sanchez this summer and bring right winger but no one wants to sign him. He is 31 and costs 78mil with ludicrous wages so no wonder. 

So I only bought Eder Militao from Porto who has 50mil release clause and is an absolute monster of a player, can play right back, central defender and def midfield and is natural in all positions, just a brilliant player.

My team is:

De Gea/Horn - Guerreiro/Vagnoman, De Ligt/Tuanzebe, Varane/Lindelof, Militao/Valencia - Matić/Fred, Pogba/Perreira, Milinković Savić/Herrera - Lingard/Sanchez, Martial/Rashford, Lukaku/Werner

I'm close to the end of the first season and things are going well.

I'm top of the League 8 points ahead of Liverpool after 30 games.

I won the Carabao Cup against Arsenal and will face them again in the semifinals of the FA Cup.

In Champions-League we're facing Lyon in the quarterfinals after defeating PSG the round before.

This is my squad:

Gk: de Gea (Romero, Grant)

CB: de Ligt, Bailly (Smalling, Pavard, Jones)

LB: Tierney (Shaw)

RB: Valencia (Vagnoman, Dalot)

DM: Matic (Fred)

MC: Pogba, Milinkovic Savic (Herrera, Pereira, Joao Felix)

LW: Sanchez (Rashford)

RW: Chiesa (Marin)

Lukaku (Martial)

2nd season transfers

tQPTrdg.jpg?1

I had to pay a bloody fortune for Paqueta,Til seemed like a no brainer from AZ, great box to box stats, he is on loan at Sporting for the season and hopefully he'll develop further.Gagliardini can operate in the CM role as either a DLP or B2B.I had 2 options for CD in either Pavard or Dias and Dias was actually the more expensive but his stats are a little more aggressive and he's a better ball player.Memphis was never really on my radar but in FM he really is a good player although his mentals could be better but the min release clause tipped me over the edge.Diogo Dalot was my only recognised RB and after scouting around £47m for a solid defender who can operate in midfield was a great buy.

haXXgeG.jpg?1

Big shock was selling De Gea to PSG but £80m was enough for me to say yes and along with Bailly to Barca for £52m and a couple of other biggish deals we recouped our transfer in money.

By the way my goalkeeper for the season is Joel Pereira, hopefully he performs well.

o79AXYo.jpg?1

Season 2 tactics are working well,goals are relatively free flowing with a lot coming from open play, my one big gripe is blocked shots(Oh my God) they are driving me up the fecking wall BUT I found that using counter in the transition phase has helped a little bit.It has given a little bit of urgency when we're moving the ball around.

6 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@axehan1  Has Joel Pereira developed a lot, I take it? Can we get a screenshot? When I get round to my United save I'd probably quite before selling De Gea but still, be interesting to see.

He's not doing to bad,just needs to get his one on one improved.I didn't want to spend silly money on a keeper when he looks ok.

XI0P61H.jpg?1