The Bet

Faramir

Leyton Orient (5) Ipswich (0)

Orient- D.Poole 11,13,22,57 J.Torhallsson 59

Ipswich- None

MOM- David Poole, Leyton Orient

Still with a taste for revenge after they swept us out of Cup competition earlier, Orient rolled over Ipswich with a excellent display of precision passing and strong finishing. David Poole continued his stellar season with a 4-goal performance, which leaves him atop the Division 1 board with 34 league goals. The first goal came due to the superb vision of Johann Torhallsson who sent a pass from the left sideline past three defenders and onto Poole's foot. Poole's searching shot beat Kelvin Davis and went in just inside the far post. Torhallsson also set up his 2nd goal when he Martijn Reuser put Torhallsson free down the left side and as the defenders scrambled back, Torhallsson crossed hard and Poole headed the ball past Davis before Matt Richards could react in coverage. Poole completed his hat-trick thanks to a Gary Roberts through ball that put him free at the corner of the net. Poole scored his 4th with excellent touch on a chipped shot after Torhallsson had made a chip pass to get him the ball with a step free on Richards. Danny Byrne was the architect of the last Orient goal as he dribbled past two defenders on the right sideline and broke toward the middle before zinging a cross that Torhallsson headed inside the post past Davis. The 5-0 win clinched at least a playoff spot for Orient.

"It's broken for sure," sighed Drabek. "Just waiting for the doc to let us know how long he is out for."

Thorrington Breaks Arm

In a freak training accident, Leyton Orient winger John Thorrington broke his right arm. Thorrington is expected to miss the next month.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoke (3) Leyton Orient (2)

Stoke- Z.Pavlovic 4 P.Gallagher 49 M.King 78

Orient- D.Poole 20-P,45

Leyton Orient stumbled against 23rd place Stoke as their central defense did a poor job and Tommy Lee couldn't come up with the big save in the 3-2 comeback win for Stoke. Zoran Pavlovic put Stoke off to a fine start when Adrian Nevins botched coverage on him and he went in and scored easily on Lee. David Poole answered after being knocked down in the area- converting the penalty kick for his 35th goal of the season. Orient went ahead at halftime when Nevins curled a beatiful cross in and Poole headed it past Joe Murphy. Stoke came back and answered that goal to start the 2nd half when Paul Gallagher easily beat Gudmunder Mete and snapped his shot past Lee. Murphy made a couple of fine saves right in front before Marlon King scored the match-winner when Steven Baker (on for a slightly injured Carl Laurie) failed to stay close enough to him. It was a disappointing loss for Orient.

West Ham (0) Leyton Orient (1)

West Ham- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 1

MOM- Lee Harrison, Leyton Orient

Orient used a goal by Johann Torhallsson in the 1st minute and some fine work in net by Lee Harrison to narrowly edge West Ham at Upton Park. Torhallsson drove a shot home after a free kick from David James was headed forward to him by Martin Reeves. West Ham had excellent chances to even the match both in the first and second halves, but Harrison was in top form today. He pushed a David Connolly rising shot over the bar late in the match to preserve the close road win.

Leyton Orient (1) Bradford City (1)

Orient- L.Harbuzi 44

Bradford- P.Reid 15

MOM- Labinot Harbuzi, Leyton Orient

There will be a new banner flying over Brisbane Road next season- Division 1 Champions. Though they could only manage a 1-1 draw with Bradford City, WBA could also only manage a 1-1 draw against Millwall and that leaves Orient 10 points clear with 3 matches to play. It wasn't a sensational effort on Orient's part as their offense sputtered through much of the match, but it turned out to be enough when Labinot Harbuzi scored a pretty goal to top off an excellent pass from Gary Roberts to score in his Orient debut. Not only did Harbuzi score, but he also copped MOM honors as he showed flashes of the talent that made Manager Drabek excited to bring him to Brisbane Road. Bradford had taken the early lead when Paul Reid hit a superb free kick from 30 yards that curved just inside the post. With it 1-1 at half, Orient tried to step up the pressure, but couldn't really get good chances and Alan Combe made certain nothing went in. The race for 2nd place is on, as WBA has a 2 point edge on Brighton and Cardiff.

"Are you kidding? Of course we should sign him!" exclaimed Spencer Field. He stopped and realized Drabek was already grinning.

"Well, we are ManU's farm team," chuckled Drabek. "So of course I signed him."

Orient Lines Up Lennon

After being surprisingly released by Manchester United, Orient quickly jumped in and signed 19 year old winger Aaron Lennon. Lennon has been hailed by many for his promising play and Manager Drabek was clear he was convinced the youngster is going places with his talent.

Leyton Orient (0) Brighton (1)

Orient- None

Brighton- L.Knight 45-P

MOM- Leon Knight, Brighton

In a closely played match, Orient fell to visiting Brighton in a 1-0 final. Both sides had opportunities in the first half, but Leon Knight didn't miss on his penalty kick after Orient was whistled for Stephen Clegg pushing Stephen Warnock in the area. Orient had several splendid chances in the 2nd half, but Robert Douglas kept his clean sheet for the match. Orient was featuring many 2nd line players and though they played Ok, their passing wasn't as sharp as usual and they left the Brighton goal untouched.

Preston (3) Leyton Orient (1)

Preston- D.Etuhu 45 R.Fuller 59-P,81

Orient- A.Birchall 63

MOM- Ricardo Fuller, Preston

Preston used a throttling defense and come crisp passing to beat Orient handily by a 3-1 margin. After David Lucas made a couple nice stops, it was Lee Harrison who tried to keep Preston off the board. In first half extra time, Dickson Etuhu streaked away from Flavio Dias before beating Harrison. Orient rallied in the early stages of the 2nd half, but Lucas was still stopping everything. Flavio Dias, in his first senior match in a long time, pushed Ricardo Fuller in the area and Fuller converted the ensuing penalty to make it 2-0. Adam Birchall got a goal back for Orient, but Preston finally clinched the match when Fuller scored his 2nd goal of the match late in the 2nd half.

"You won't believe this Spencer," said Drabek as he hung up the phone.

"Another great transfer addition?" asked Field with a grin.

"No- not exactly. That was Chairman of the Board for Manchester City. They want us to come over and take over their club management."

"Us?"

"They wanted both of us."

"What did you tell them?"

"No. That both of us were quite content to manage Orient and that we would enjoy our next season in EPL play."

Leyton Orient (4) Wimbledon (2)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 20 D.Poole 26,55 G.Roberts 27

Wimbledon- M.Vaughn 7 M.Leigterwood 42

After playing haphazardly with makeshift lineups the last few matches, Orient trotted out their more established crew today and they won out over a determined Wimbledon side. Wimbledon took the early lead when Mark Vaughn boomed in a kick from just inside the edge of the area past Lee Harrison. Orient evened the match when Gary Roberts zinged in a pass that found Johann Torhallsson open and he fired it past Steve Booth for his 25th goal of the season. David Poole struck next for Orient when Danny Byrne sent him a 45 yard pass and he rocketed his shot past Booth. A bare minute later it was Gary Roberts adding his 1st ever goal for Orient with a loose ball in the area. Wimbledon drew a goal back just before halftime when Mikele Leigterwood headed in a corner past Harrison. Orient finally clinched the match in the 2nd half when Poole scored his 2nd goal of the match on a cross from Torhallsson. Orient played out the string on the win from there to close a successful season.

Beginning 2006-7 1st season EPL

Field and Drabek sat relaxed in Drabek's office. Seemingly every open space on the desk and table were taken up by folders and charts.

"Well, we are headed for the Premier. You seem much more relaxed than I have seen you in the past Will?" asked Field.

Drabek just gave a small smile and nodded, "Some worries were finally put to rest Spencer. Despite the daunting task, I really am looking forward to playing with the big boys."

Field snorted, "Well, we are on the road to it- what next?"

Drabek placed his hands behind his head and leaned back. "Ok, here is where we stand at the moment. They are going to add over 5000 more seats to Brisbane Road, but the West stands will be closed awhile during that- so we actually have less seating capacity to start with."

Field said resignedly, "How much are we in the hole then?"

Drabek just grinned, "Uh, actually we are quite well off Spencer."

Field looked questioningly at Drabek.

"To the tune of a transfer fund of 6.5 Million."

"What?" burst out of Field.

Drabek shrugged, "I knew the TV money was good- but we received 18 Million. Of course a large chunk of that goes to fixing up Brisbane Road- but we suddenly have real money to play with in the transfer market."

Field sat back a bit stunned. "Ok, but now what?"

Drabek leaned forward and gestured around at the folders, "We keep doing what we were doing- evaluating personnel- both ours and available." He smiled and said, "Of course, we do have a few more players interested in us now."

Field shrugged, "What are we looking for then? Who should we move?"

Drabek answered, "First, who we are moving. Alan Tate for sure- I already have three offers for him. Also Steve Palmer and Michael Sisson have asked out, they want first team play and I am trying to oblige them. Also, all those other players that were on the list. I may actually just eat the contracts and let some of the youngsters go on free."

"Do you have any specific ideas on what you want to add?" asked Field.

Drabek nodded. "We already have one arriving soon- I signed Clint Hill on Bosman from Stoke. Now here are my thoughts on what we need to look for as we work through these scouting reports. We are young- very young- especially for a Premier level club. I love the talent of our youngsters, but I also think it is a bit much to lay all of the weight of playing at EPL level on them. So, I think we need to add a few veterans, a few solid citizens with EPL level experience, to the mix- so that we can develop the likes of Jonathan Spector, Mark Harding, Flavio Dias, etc... while mentoring them with some older players- Hill is perfect example of what I want. Solid leader and good overall defender that should really help us."

Field nodded, "With 6.5 Million, we can certainly add a few impact players."

"Well, one other caveat here Spencer. I want to try and add- but be really judicious on spending for players. We already know that we have a lot more space on our wage limitations, so I don't mind adding some decent waged players, but I don't want to spend a lot if possible."

"Why not though? I mean if we want to stay afloat in the EPL, we are going to have to improve."

"Improve yes- wholesale change no. Look Spencer, here is where I want to add players. I want another keeper to work with Tommy Lee. Harrison is a solid citizen, but at 35- I worry about too much exposure for him. Lee has played well, but is still only 20- I want to take some of the burden off of him. I also want to find another expericenced central defender to balance all of our youngsters off with Hill and whoever we find. I think we still need to find a left wing too- I don't think Huckerby is Premier level, Reuser is ok- but I have my doubts on him bumping up his level of play and Luis Dias is still developing. I don't know what to think about Michele Gallacio at this point. We may also need to add a veteran striker- since we don't have any of those on the club."

"Well do you have any of these in mind?" asked Field with a sweeping gesture at the folders.

Drabek tossed him two folders, "Take a look at these two."

Field chuckled, "Manchester United again- we never seem to tire of them. He looks like a solid player. They only want *that* much for him? Seems a pittance against his ability and we have been scouting him forever. The other? Young to be sure, still capped in the schoolboy ranks and the Arsenal youth program is nothing to sneeze at. They both look good to me."

"To me as well. I guess they will be the first building blocks. We'll meet again in a couple days to talk over some more reports," finished Drabek.

Orient Becoming ManU-Lite?

Leyton Orient today announced the transfer purchase of 20 year old German midfielder Markus Neumayr from Manchester United for the small cost of 8K. Orient continues to pluck players that were released from the Manchester United youth program.

Orient Signs Hall

Leyton Orient signed 17 year old defender Jeff Hall from the free list. Hall had been released by Arsenal and reportedly was very pleased to add the youngster.

More Transactions:

Michael Stewart (10K Manchester U) 25 yr old DMC

Michael DuBerry (Bosman from Leeds) 30 yr old DC

Kenny Cooper (Sign on Free- released by ManU) 20 yr old SC (US/England)

Peter Crouch (Sign on Free- released by Aston Villa) 25 yr old SC

Daniel Simpsonhirs (Sign on Free- released by ManU) 19 yr old DRC

Mitchell Booth (Sign on Free- released by ManU) 18 yr old DRC (Welsh under-21)

Richard Jones (Sign on Free- released by ManU) 19 yr old MC

Ryan Garry (Sign on Free- released by Arsenal) 22 yr old DLRC

Joe Gold (Sign on Free- released by Stockport) 22 yr old DMC

Field stared at Drabek- he seemed almost ashen as he said, "Certainly, it is an honour. I appreciate your confidence and will do my best."

"Will, you look like you have seen a ghost!" teased Field.

When Drabek sat there, still obviously in shock, Field asked, "Is everything Ok Will?"

Breaking out of his reverie Drabek looked at Field a moment before he gathered his voice. "Spencer, how would you like to work with the National side?"

Field glanced at Drabek, gauging him to see if he was being teased back. "What? The new manager wants us to help as staff?"

Drabek leaned back in his chair, "Yes, actually he does."

Field straightened up, realizing Drabek was serious. "He does? What does he need from us?"

A smile broke out on Drabek's face. "Spencer, all you have to do is what you have always done- help me evaluate personnel and keep the dressing room under control."

Field tilted his head until comprehension broke over him, "You don't mean?"

Drabek nodded, "I don't know why, but they selected me as National manager."

Field beamed, "Congratulations Will! You do deserve it, you know."

Drabek shrugged, "I am not sure of that, but I will do my best of course."

Drabek stood alone at the lonely gravesite. The towering memorial seemed daunting, yet the history behind it left a large bitter taste in his mouth.

"You couldn't know where this would wind up when you pointed me and sent me down this path," he muttered quietly. The wind at dusk was a chill sea breeze that seemed haunting as it whistled among the stone memorials.

"I do hope you know I still owe you now. So my success is your success, whether you like it or not."

He gave one more glance at the marker, "In Loving Memory- Drogo Drabek" and then turned away and walked into the gathering gloom.

Odds for 2006-7 EPL

ManU 2-1

Chelsea 8-1

Newcastle 16-1

Liverpool 20-1

Everton 40-1

Orient 150-1

Middlesbrough (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Middlesbrough- None

Orient- D.Poole 7 D.Ambrose 84

MOM- Carl Laurie, Leyton Orient

Orient capitalized on Middlebrough mistakes and their mobile backline kept good track of the Middlesbrough forwards as they upset the homeside in their first Premier match. Keeper Morgan de Sanctis made a terrible goal kick that went right to David Poole. Poole, in home free against de Sanctis, blistered a low shot past him for a quick Orient lead. Shortly after, de Sanctis left with an injury and Orient missed two golden chances to pad the lead as Johann Torhallsson's shot skimmed the bar and Aaron Lennon clanged the post on replacement Antti Niemi. Orient's backline continually blunted the attempts by Middlesbrough to shake Pinga and Massimo Maccarone free. In the 84th minute, Darren Ambrose (who subbed on for David Livermore) outleaped Chris Riggott and deflected a Lennon corner past Niemi to score in his debut. The 2-0 win pleased the few Orient fans that made the trip.

Leyton Orient (3) Leeds (0)

Orient- D.Ambrose 68 D.Poole 70 C.Hill 90

Leeds- None

Orient's first Premier match at Brisbane Road turned out to be a real crowd pleaser for the home fans as Orient outplayed and stunned Leeds in the 3-0 win. Paul Robinson played spectacularly for Leeds in the first half as the Orient ball movement was creating excellent chances. He stopped both David Poole and Johann Torhallsson close in and then made a superb parry when Torhallsson broke in alone on him late in the half. Orient continued to apply the pressure in the 2nd half and it finally paid off when Darren Ambrose boomed in a swerving 25 yard free kick. Less than 2 minutes later, Poole capped off a sensational passing sequence to put Orient up 2-0. Poole actually started the play by spraying a pass out to the streaking Torhallsson. Torhallsson took it past McKie and zipped it to Jody Morris. Morris returned a through ball to Torhallsson and he smartly crossed to Poole, who deflected it past the moving Robinson. Clint Hill then finished off the visitors as he deflected a corner from Ambrose past Robinson for his 1st Orient goal.

Drabek hung up the phone, "Well, they would be willing to let him go for 1.5 Million. What do you think?"

Field thought for a moment, "I think he is a worthwhile addition at that price. A lot might depend on if he is willing to come here. I think he would help buy us time to develop Mark Harding and Jonathan Spector- I still think they are a bit young to be thrown to the wolves in EPL play."

Drabek squinted out the window at the bright sunshine, "His agent assured me he would be receptive to a solid offer- as long as we are talking about starting. I think we can work something out."

Orient Grabs Bramble

Leyton Orient today completed the transfer purchase of stalwart defender Titus Bramble. Bramble, a 25 year old who is starting to receive consideration for the National side, cost Orient 1.5 Million to bring over from Newcastle. Reportedly, Bramble is keen to earn a starting role.

Blackburn (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Blackburn- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 7,71

MOM- Johann Torhallsson, Leyton Orient

Orient, featuring the debut of Titus Bramble on their backline, showed Blackburn more pace than they could handle- especially from Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson nodded a goal kick from Per Morten Kristiensen to David Poole- Poole touched it back to Torhallsson and he steamed past Martin Taylor and took it around Brad Friedel for the early Orient lead. The Blackburn crowd was antsy and it looked like they would get the equalizer just before halftime, but Kristiansen tipped Matthew Jansen's rocket over the bar. Despite losing Kristiansen to an injury early in the 2nd half, the Orient defense remained solid in front of Lee Harrison. Some hard work by Danny Byrne on the wing paid off as he managed to poke the ball away from Nils-Eric Johannson and smartly cross to Torhallsson. Torhallsson again used his speed to take the ball around Friedel for his 2nd goal of the match. With the lead, Orient was content to shut down the home side and run out the time on a 2-0 win.

"While we haven't played the best clubs yet, this is very encouraging Spencer," commented Drabek after the win. "Three matches into EPL play- and we still haven't yielded a goal."

Field nodded, "You have picked out the key thing- we are playing well in our end and our keepers have been making the big stops when they had too."

"Crap!" exploded Drabek.

"Sorry Will, but it is what it is," ruefully commented Spencer Field.

"Not anyone's fault Spencer, I was really hoping it was much less than that though."

Johann Out For a Month

A training mishap today will cost Orient the services of key forward Johann Torhallsson for the next month. A innocent looking collision during a drill resulted in the powerful Icelandic forward suffering a broken shoulder. Manager Drabek indicated that Orient would likely not try to purchase another forward by tomorrow- the end of the transfer period.

Thank you very much ultimate

Leyton Orient (3) Charlton (0)

Orient- D.Poole 9,19 M.Reuser 64

Charlton- None

Despite missing his usual partner up front, David Poole provided more evidence that he must be taken into account when mentioning top young forwards in England. Poole gave Orient the lead early on when he outleaped Taiwo Atieno and headed a Martijn Reuser corner past Dean Kiely. Orient's 2nd goal was the work of a team playing together, as Adrian Nevins jumped up into the play to take a flick on from Peter Crouch (filling in for Torhallsson) and then made a looping cross from the baseline that Poole reached before Djimi Traore and deflected past Kiely. Orient salted the match away in the 2nd half when Reuser's cannon shot on a 30 yard free kick sailed past Kiely. Orient was content to defend their lead at that point and help Tommy Lee earn another clean sheet. The only bad news in the match for Orient was the loss of Mark Harding to a torn groin that will require surgery. Harding is expected to miss the next three months.

"It's a torn ACL. There isn't any way around surgery," sighed Drabek.

"Well, to be honest- it just keeps him off the senior squad. We had been hoping to sell him anyways," commented Field.

"Hard to sell him when he isn't healthy," stated Drabek.

Another Orient Injury

Leyton Orient will be without the services of Zvjezdan Misimovic for the next 6 months due to a knee injury. Misimovic had been on the transfer list, but also had hoped that he might earn some playing time with Johann Torhallsson out. Those hopes were dashed with the traning injury that will require surgery to repair.

ENGLAND

England (1) Finland (0)

England- M.Owen 16

Finland- None

MOM- Sami Hyypia, Finland

Manager Will Drabek's debut as England Manager turned out successfully as Michael Owen's early goal was the difference in a closely played 1-0 win. Owen and Kieron Dyer both had several other stellar scoring chances during the match, but were just high and wide with them. England appeared in complete control throughout the first half and most of the 2nd half, but Finland made a late rally and Richard Wright had to be sharp on a couple of key stops in the last 10 minutes of the match to seal the England win.

Bolton (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Bolton- C.Bart-Williams 25

Orient- D.Poole 38

MOM- Chris Bart-Williams, Bolton

In a match where Bolton outplayed them for long stretches, Orient was able to salvage a 1-1 draw thanks to David Poole's excellent shot past Jussi Jaaskalainen. Bolton controlled the match in the first half and Chris Bart-Williams gave them the lead when they worked an excellent play on a throw-in that allowed Francisco Javier Farinos to zing a cross that Bart-Williams dove and drove past Per Morton Kristiansen. Orient equalized against the flow of play when Danny Byrne's hard work allowed him to put Poole away free. Poole drilled a low 20 yard blast past Jaaskalainen to even things. Bolton held much more sway over the play in the 2nd half, but each side had a couple of good chances to take the lead- as both had to settle for splitting the points in the match.

Thanks owen goal- my stories tend to be lengthy normally, but this one is getting longer icon_smile.gif

Leyton Orient (0) Wolves (0)

Orient- None

Wolves- None

MOM- Carl Laurie, Leyton Orient

After a first half that featured a lot of pressure from Orient and some excellent scrambling defense from Wolves, a mistake by young Jonathan Spector left Orient down a man for the remainder of the match. Despite the advantage, Wolves couldn't generate any offense against the staunch Orient midfield and backline and had to settle for a 0-0 draw. After drawing a yellow midway through the first half, Spector made an ill-advised tackle on Henri Camara in the last moments of first half extra time. His 2nd yellow forced Manager Drabek to go with David Poole alone up front and the Wolves spent all their efforts covering him and short ciruiting the Orient offense. They couldn't get their own offense going as Carl Laurie and company provided excellent support for Per Morten Kristiansen.

Liverpool (1) Leyton Orient (0)

Liverpool- M.Owen 55

Orient- None

MOM- Sami Hyypia, Liverpool

In a close match one Orient mistake in their defensive end was enough to send them to their first loss in EPL play. Michael Owen wasted little time whistling a low shot past Per Morten Kristiansen after Carl Laurie and Titus Bramble both went for a header and instead only dropped the ball in front of a wide open Owen. Sami Hyypia put the clamps on Orient's David Poole- rendering him completely ineffective in the match. Adam Birchall came closest to evening things for Orient, but missed over the net late in the match.

"It was a tough loss, but I am really happy with how steady we played," stated Drabek.

"We outshot them 6-4 for the match, but they made theirs count. We really do need Johann back- Peter Crouch is solid, but his lack of pace is a problem," commented Field.

Leyton Orient (1) Oxford (0) League Cup 2nd round

Orient- M.Gallacio 2

Oxford- None

MOM- Michele Gallacio, Leyton Orient

The lone goal of the match came early as Michele Gallacio deflected a Markus Neumayr corner past Chris McCabe in the opening moments of the match. Orient controlled much of the play after that, but the plucky 2nd Division side refused to yield and McCabe kept the match locked at 1-0. For his 2nd consecutive match, Jonathan Spector earned a pair of yellow cards- this time lasting til the 70th minute mark. Tommy Lee was called on to make a couple good saves in the 2nd half, but Orient finished out the 1-0 win strongly to move on to the 3rd round of the League Cup.

Leyton Orient (2) Tottenham (2)

Orient- D.Poole 83,84

Tottenham- S.Davis 14 H.Postiga 17

Tottenham took full advantage of inconsistent Orient backline play and Tommy Lee not looking sharp as they appeared to be cruising to an easy 2-0 win. With many of the fans having already left the stadium, they missed an enterprising Orient rally as David Poole struck twice in a 2 minute stretch to salvage a 2-2 draw. Sean Davis sent Hotspurs to the early lead when he was left all alone on the far side of the net and had an easy time ripping a shot through Lee. It was quickly 2-0 when Michael Duberry could not keep pace with Helder Postiga and he ran onto a long pass and slashed it past Lee. Orient had a couple decent chances in the first half, but Carlo Cudicini was looking especially sharp and kept the sheet clean. After Cudicini stopped both Poole (for the 2nd time) and Aaron Lennon from close-in, the Brisbane road fans started leaving the stadium. They missed the stunning comeback as Poole finally solved Cudicini as Titus Bramble's header wound up on his foot and he drilled it inside the near post before Cudicini could react. The dramatic equalizer came when Martin Reeves (on for David Livermore) sent an excellent through ball that put Poole in alone. He didn't give Cudicini a chance to get set and whistled a rising shot past him. Both sides looked tired and the last moments trickled quietly away on the 2-2 draw.

Aston Villa (3) Leyton Orient (2)

Villa- Z.Vryzas 12,18,34

Orient- R.Calliste 45,83

MOM- Zisiz Vryzas, Aston Villa

Orient couldn't contain Greek forward Zisiz Vryzas in the first half and though they managed a gritty comeback, they fell short to Vryzas' hat-trick in a 3-2 road loss. Titus Bramble completely overplayed the Villa attacks down the wing, which Vryzas exploited with two easy goals past Per Morten Kristiansen. He completed his hat-trick when he dove and headed a cross from Benoit Pedretti past Kristiansen. Orient started to show signs of life when Titus Bramble sent a through ball that put Ramon Calliste away cleanly. He broke in and though Thomas Sorenson got a piece of the ball- it trickled into the net. Sorenson made a couple brilliant stops to keep the lead in the 2nd half and Kristiansen also regained some luster by stopping Darius Vassell on what looked to be a certain goal. When Danny Byrne made a brilliant move to break in on the right baseline and then cross hard for Calliste to bang past Sorenson- Orient was really back in the match. Their last golden chance to even the score came when Byrne again broke down the right side and in alone on Sorenson. His shot was wide past the far post and the Villa faithful breathed a sigh of relief as they held on for the 3-2 win.

Leyton Orient (1) Manchester City (1)

Orient- P.Crouch 45

ManCity- F.Jeffers 90

MOM- Alpay, Manchester City

Orient wasted a golden opportunity for a close win when Michael Duberry completely forgot his head and left Michael Carrick alone on Per Morten Kristiansen. Kristiansen was able to parry Carrick's shot but Francis Jeffers pushed the rebound past him for a dramatic last-second equalizer. Orient outplayed ManCity throughout the match and Nicky Weaver came up with some big stops- especially on Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson looked rusty on his return from injury and missed one shot after taking it around Weaver. Orient took the halftime lead when Peter Crouch (starting for the rested David Poole) banged in a rebound after Weaver had parried the header of Jody Morris. The draw left Manager Drabek clearly muttering as he left for the dressing room.

Field paced the office next to the window, "Is it time to sit Per Morten for awhile? He really hasn't played well at all for us so far."

Drabek shrugged and leaned back in his chair, "I don't think the time is right for that Spencer. I am going to stick with him and see what comes of it. In my mind, he could be one of the top European keepers and though he hasn't really shown his quality yet- for at least most of this season I plan on giving him the chance."

ENGLAND

Kazakhstan (0) England (1)

Kazakhstan- None

England- D.Thompson 52

MOM- Yuri Novikov, Kazakhstan

It was a dynamic performance from England as they kept the ball in Kazakhstan's end virtually the entire match. Unfortunately, there was little to show for their chances as Yuri Novikov was brilliant until leaving with an injury at 62 minutes. The lone goal of the match was from David Thompson who took an excellent crossing pass from Ashley Cole and blasted it through Novikov early in the 2nd half. England should have had the halftime lead, but Darius Vassell had an embarassing miss of a penalty kick in the 16th minute after Alibek Buleshev was called for a handball in the area. England held the home side to no shots in the match and only a small amount of possession past the midfield stripe.

Thank you very much for the kind words- Mikirod, they are appreciated icon_smile.gif

ENGLAND

England (1) Denmark (0)

England- M.Owen 51

Denmark- None

MOM- Martin Laursen, Denmark

In a cracker of a match between the two top clubs in Group 5, it was the touch of Michael Owen that won out. England started quickly and had the almost 80,000 crowd at Wembley on their feet several times in the first 10 minutes of the match. Kieron Dyer broke in from the right side, but Thomas Sorenson gamely held on to his blistering shot. Sorenson then barely beat Owen to a loose ball and also saw Steven Gerrard's chipped shot sail just over the bar. Denmark didn't manage many chances in the first half, but Ebbe Sand was stopped in close by Richard Wright. Sorenson really should earn a portion of the blame for the English goal. His clearing kick was headed back by Sol Campbell and Steven Gerrard quickly sent a floating ball to the right side. Kieron Dyer alertly headed ahead and found Owen steaming in full stride and unattendended. No Dane defender could catch him as he broke in on Sorenson from the right side and launched a beautiful low shot that just caught the inside of the far post. Up to that point, Owen had been fairly disappointing in the match, but he showed his true colours on the goal. With the lead, England backed off their aggressiveness and battled for every ball in the midfield. Gerrard and Owen Hargreaves did a nice job of shutting down the Danes' chances and England kept the rally attempts limited to a few shots that Richard Wright had little trouble handling. It hasn't exactly been pretty so far, but England is alone atop the group after three straight 1-0 wins. Denmark and Belarus are both 3 points back.

Leyton Orient (2) Newcastle (1)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 11,36

Newcastle- Y.Basturk 6

Despite yielding an early goal to Newcastle, Orient rallied behind the return to form of Johann Torhallsson and edged the visitors' in a very exciting match. The Orient backline was responsible for the first goal as Michael Duberry made a bad decision that allowed Andy Farrell to head the ball to a wide open Yildiray Basturk and Basturk slotted the ball neatly past Per Morten Kristiansen for his 5th of the season. Orient quickly answered the goal as David Livermore snapped a quick pass that allowed Johann Torhallsson to break in alone on Shay Given. Torhallsson drove the ball past Given inside the near post. Darren Ambrose helped setup Torhallsson when he lofted a pass that Torhallsson nodded ahead over Daniele Bonera. Torhallsson then whistled a 25 yard shot past the onrushing Given that snuck inside the near post. Newcastle came out aggressively in the 2nd half trying to even the match and Kristiansen had to be both sharp and lucky to keep them out. He stopped both Niclas Anelka and Alan Shearer from close in and Shearer's excellent header past Kristiansen was denied by the crossbar. Kieron Dyer also had a late chance but was high with his shot and his last 2nd cross allowed Shearer another chance at a header, but Kristiansen grabbed it off to save the Orient win.

Leyton Orient (2) Arsenal (3) League Cup 3rd round

Orient- R.Calliste 38,44

Arsenal- J.Pennant 48 T.Henry 78,90

MOM- Thierry Henry, Arsenal

Orient stunned heavily favored Arsenal in the first half as they staked a 2-0 lead while featuring a lineup made up of mostly 2nd line starters. Arsenal showed their heady veteran leadership as they overcame their early deficit to score the match winner with mere moments remaining in an entertaining match. Ramon Calliste provided the Orient offense as he continued to show signs of developing into a top notch forward. Michele Gallaccio made a nice little pass to free him for the first goal when his deflected off Jens Lehmann hands into the net. He scored his 2nd of the match just before halftime after being put free by Gallaccio again. Arsenal started their rally early in the 2nd half when a long cross from Ashley Cole allowed Jermaine Pennant to race in on Tommy Lee and fire it past him. With Orient still clinging to the lead, James Graham made a nice move to break in from the left sideline before crossing to Thierry Henry- who deflected it past Lee. Arsenal then snatched the victory in the last moments of 2nd half extra time when Graham again broke free and put a pass to Henry. Henry had a step on Jonathan Spector and that was the difference as put a hard, low shot just inside the far post for the 3-2 win.

"It was a credible effort- but the press is going to have your hide, Will," chuckled Spencer Field.

Drabek shrugged, "Manager's discretion. This match is important, but doing well in the league is more important- to me. It was a good match to get a quick read on how some of the player's are doing at this level."

Field nodded, "And your impressions?"

"Well at least Jonathan (Spector) managed to avoid getting a card, and though Henry got that last goal- I thought he played a solid match head up against him. Richard Jones had a solid debut, though he tired badly. Ramon was amazing- if he can do that against Arsenal's regular backline- well he is a lot higher in my evaluation of our forwards now. Adrian Nevins has talent, but he doesn't seem to play well at this level- I think more seasoning needed. Michele Gallaccio's match was encouraging- uh, well at least his first half was. Peter Crouch is a bit slow to play our offense- and now I don't think he will ever make much of an impact."

Southampton (2) Leyton Orient (2)

Southampton- J.Beattie 17 J. De Guzman 30

Orient- D.Poole 12,87

MOM- James Beattie, Southampton

Orient came back to salvage a 2-2 draw after losing the early lead at Southampton. David Poole got Orient off on the right note as he ripped a low shot past Stuart Taylor after Danny Byrne had made a nice play to set him up. Southampton roared back as James Beattie overpowered Jonathan Spector and fired a shot past Per Morten Kristiansen to even the match. They then took the lead when Julian De Guzman boomed in a 30 yard free kick. Orient had some good chances, but it appeared that Taylor was going to keep the door closed on their comeback chances. A Johann Torhallsson free kick turned into Orient's late equalizer when Poole crushed a half-volley of it past Taylor for the dramatic equalizer.

Leyton Orient (3) Chelsea (0)

Orient- D.Poole 1 J.Torhallsson 19,29

Chelsea- None

In a showdown match between 4th place Orient and 3rd place Chelsea- it was the visitors that came up blue over their performance. Orient surged early in the match and then was content to defend their lead as the pitch deteriorated in the windy, rainy day. David Poole struck quickly for his 10th goal of the season to give Orient a lead in the opening moments as Johann Torhallsson's laser pass went past John Terry and allowe Poole in free of defenders. As Marcos came out to challenge him, Poole lobbed a shot over him that just tucked inside the far post. Danny Byrne was the instigator for the next goal as his long looping pass allowed Torhallsson to head it to himself as he overpowered Robert Huth. Marcos got a good bit of Torhallsson's blistering shot, but it still trickled over the line for Torhallsson's 5th goal of the season. Torhallsson nailed his 2nd of the match with a superb volley after Martijn Reuser headed a Byrne free kick back to the unattended Torhallsson. With a 3-0 lead and the weather worsening, Orient battened down the hatches to beat off the Chelsea rally attempts. Chelsea was hurt by the loss to injury of Hernan Crespo at 41 minutes, as he had been the sole shining spot of their offense to that point. The second half featured each side making flowing sideline attacks, but both backlines were really closing down and preventing the chances from being good. The closest to scoring in the 2nd half was Torhallsson as he tried to complete his hat-trick. Marcos narrowly won a race for the ball at the left side of the area that would have been a goal had Torhallsson reached it first.

"Wow! That was some effort by the boys- the best we have played this season," stated Drabek.

Field agreed, "Everything was clicking in the match. Certainly one of the best we have played this season."

Nottingham Forest (2) Leyton Orient (4)

Nottingham- M.Harewood 5 J.Bullard 82-P

Orient- J.Torhallsson 16,68 D.Poole 22,47

Orient spotted Nottingham an early marker but came roaring back to sail past the home side in a convincing 4-2 win. Forest struck first as Carl Laurie got caught trying to challenge and that allowed Wayne Routledge free reign on the right side. He broke in and made a smart cross that Marlon Harewood easily deflected past Per Morten Kristiansen. Orient evened things when Danny Byrne, who dominated the right side of the pitch all day, broke past Routledge and zinged a cross that Johann Torhallsson pushed past Graham Stack. Lee Sims made the next goal as he boomed a curling kick after a short run that curled right into David Poole. Poole nailed the header into the near side of the net to give Orient a 2-1 halftime lead. Poole struck again for his 2nd goal of the match in the opening moments of the second half when he outleaped Stack and deflected a Michael Duberry free kick into the Forest net. Byrne was at it again to push Orient to a 3-goal lead when he attacked from the right side and crossed to Torhallsson for his 2nd goal of the match. Forest claimed a late consolation goal when Per Morton Kristiansen was whistled for pushing Craig Westcarr in the area. Jimmy Bullard converted the penalty kick to make the final margin 4-2.

Drabek winced, "That bad?"

Field could only nod morosely.

Orient lose Livermore for Season

Orient and England midfielder David Livermore is lost for the remainder of the season due to surgery to correct the spinal injury he suffered in the Nottingham Forest match. The injury, which saw him hauled off the pitch on a backboard, and surgery will likely keep him out for at least 7 months- possibly longer.

Leyton Orient (0) WBA (2)

Orient- None

WBA- J.Koumas 54 J.Roberts 59

MOM- Jason Roberts, WBA

Very little went right for Orient as WBA had an easy time sending the Brisbane Road faithful home early. Though the match was scoreless at half, Orient had lacked offensive continuity throughout and WBA had the better of the chances. The second half saw Michael Duberry make a terribly bad choice that allowed Jason Koumas to sweep in alone on Tommy Lee. He snapped his shot past Lee for the WBA lead. After Manager Drabek brought on Clint Hill for Duberry- it was Hill's turn to make a bad situational read and that allowed Jason Roberts oodles of time to drive the ball past Lee. Orient managed a couple slightly feeble chances in the late going, but the match was completely forgettable as they finished out the 2-0 loss.

Everton (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Everton- None

Orient- D.Poole 70,76

Orient rebounded nicely with a 2-0 win at Goodison Park as their forward combination of David Poole and Johann Torhallsson showed why they have been such a good pairing. The first one came when Carl Laurie launched a long pass into open space and Torhallsson ran the ball down. He took it back toward the net and then zinged a cross that Poole whisked past Richard Wright. On the 2nd goal it was Martijn Reuser who triggered the play when sent a through ball to Torhallsson. Once again, Torhallsson broke toward the net- then crossed hard and Poole headed it in before Wright could react. Everton's forwards played terribly in the match and that helped Orient stifle the home side. Orient welcomed promising young defender Mark Harding back into the lineup after injuries had kept him out for a long stretch- and then saw him right back out injured for three weeks with a sore groin.

"It's finally ready, isn't it?" asked Field as he looked around the revamped Brisbane Road.

Drabek smiled, "Yep. Just in time to host Arsenal too- should be a very good crowd."

Brisbane Road Construction Complete

With the approval of the final inspections now past- Brisbane Road will now feature an additional seating of 5663 seats.

Leyton Orient (5) Arsenal (3)

Orient- D.Byrne 8 J.Torhallsson 21,26,45 D.Poole 32

Arsenal- D.Holm 3 P.Viera 12 T.Henry 84

It was a stunning match for the sold out debut at the new Brisbane Road as they saw an Arsenal squad that had yielded only 14 goals all season (unbelievably only 1 at Highbury Road) ripsawed by an Orient attack that scored 5 goals in the first half, enroute to an upset 5-3 win. Arsenal took advantage of their early corners as they grabbed the lead when Sebastian Deisler's corner was deflected by Daniel Fredheim Holm past Per Morten Kristiansen. There was no panic for Orient though as they quickly responded. Carl Laurie's searching pass drew two defenders to David Poole, and Poole slotted it to unattended Danny Byrne. Byrne whipped it past Jens Lehmann to make it 1-1. Arsenal wasted little time in retaking the lead as they again capitalized on a corner. Freddy Ljungberg's corner was headed by Patrick Viera- but Kristiansen parried that, only to see Viera knock home the rebound for his 5th goal of the season. Orient Manager Drabek was visibly upset at his defense for the 2nd corner conversion. The Arsenal lead only lasted til the 21 minute mark. With Orient featuring their first line this time around (they had used mostly 2nd line in the League Cup Loss to Arsenal at Brisbane Road), it was Byrne's beautiful curling cross that Johann Torhallson headed by Lehmann inside the near post that made it even at 2-2. Byrne again caused problems when he broke in from the right side and crossed hard to Torhallsson. Torhallsson's header was parried by Lehmann, but Torhallsson repeated Viera's efforts when he knocked the rebound home for his 10th goal of the season and a 3-2 Orient lead. Byrne was the catalyst for the next goal as well when his good pass allowed Torhallsson to send a chip pass back to David Poole. Poole took the ball around the flat footed Lehmann and sent it into the net for his 15th goal of the season. Orient wasn't through though and Ryan Garry found Poole with a long crossing ball. Poole headed it over to Torhallsson and he rifled his shot inside the near post to complete his hat-trick. The 2nd half went mostly quietly as Orient was content to staunchly defend their lead. Arsenal did get a late consolation goal when Thierry Henry notched his 20th of the season as he headed a James Thomas cross past Kristiansen.

"Nice crowd," smiled Drabek.

"They certainly got their money's worth," grinned Field.

"It was an excellent offensive show, but we really do need some work on corners- they almost had two more besides the two they converted," commented Drabek.

"Do you think he's worth it Spencer? I know we looked long and hard at him before, but he wasn't interested then- his agent says he is now- imagine that," stated Will Drabek.

Field smiled, "Being in the upper half of EPL at midseason can change some minds. Yes, for that price he seems like a bargain- we have been searching for a left wing of his caliber anyways- Etherington is still way too pricey for us- so he seems like a worthwhile investment."

"If he signs, we will have him here in 10 days- since almost to the opening of transfer," agreed Drabek.

Orient Spends for Djordjic

Leyton Orient today announced they have completed the transfer purchase of 24 year old Swedish leftwing Bojan Djordjic from Hertha BSC. The reported cost was 1 Million, with an additional 400K to be paid out over the next year. Djordjic will likely move directly to the senior squad and possibly into the lineup in place of Martijn Reuser. Djordjic will join the squad on January 1st- when the new transfer period opens.

Birmingham (1) Leyton Orient (2)

Birmingham- M.Viduka 81

Orient- P.Crouch 22 T.Bramble 51

MOM- Titus Bramble, Leyton Orient

Orient managed to hang on and edge last place Birmingham after taking a 2-0 lead. The lone goal of the first half was due to the hard work of Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson headed a clearing pass back to Ryan Garry and then steamed down the field. He took the return pass, lost the ball to Darren Purse, took it back and then poked it across the goalmouth- where Peter Crouch was the first one to the ball and slid his shot under the diving Roy Carroll. Orient looked very comfortable after they went ahead 2-0 when Titus Bramble redirected a Martijn Reuser free kick past Carroll for his first Orient goal. Birmingham rallied as Orient sat back and Mark Viduka got in alone on Per Morten Kristiansen after Michael Duberry made a bad choice to move up and challenge Jesus Arellano. Viduka smashed his shot past Kristiansen just inside the near post. From that point, Orient clung to the lead and Kristiansen was called on to stop Christophe Dugarry and El-Hadji Diouf from close in during the late stages of the match.

Leyton Orient (2) Manchester United (0)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 10 D.Poole 24

ManU- None

MOM- Danny Byrne, Leyton Orient

In a gritty performance, Orient upset favored Manchester United in a very physical match. The referee handed out 6 yellow cards- 5 to ManU, who were trying to assert sheer presence throughout the match- and there were plenty of whistles and several injuries. Orient took the lead early when Johann Torhallsson (who started the game despite a slight arm injury) ran onto a ball headed back to the middle from Danny Byrne. Torhallsson's blistering shot trickled through Fabien Barthez to give Orient's record crowd something to cheer about as it was the Icelandic forward's 100th Orient goal. At 24 minutes, Rio Ferdinand crumbled to the ground trying to chase down David Poole after Byrne put a pretty through ball to him rolling down the middle of the pitch. Poole went in alone and once again Barthez got a piece of the shot, but it bounced softly past him and into the net for a 2-0 Orient lead. Just before halftime a hard tackle on Torhallsson by Gary Neville forced him out of the match. Torhallsson has a broken arm and will miss the next three weeks. Orient backed off their attacking with the lead and ManU took full advantage of the extra room. Cristiano Ronaldo and Sanli Tuncay both had chances on Per Morten Kristiansen but missed wide. Orient finally ran out the time in the 2nd half still holding a 2-0 clean sheet. It was a costly match for both clubs as Ferdinand is expected to miss the next two months with a torn knee ligament. Orient lost not only Torhallsson, but also Kristiansen- who broke his jaw in a scramble and will also miss the next three weeks.

"Rough match- very rough," sighed Drabek.

Field nodded, "I know Crouch should move into the lineup for Johann- but who will take Per's place?"

Drabek stared out the window, "Tommy's confidence and morale isn't much right now. I am toying with the idea of giving Daniel Carr the next start."

Leyton Orient (1) Middlesbrough (0)

Orient- D.Ambrose 13

Middlesbrough- None

MOM- Ugo Ehiogu, Middlesbrough

Orient managed to edge visiting Middlesbrough in a very tough match as they made the best of one chance. Darren Ambrose whistled a 25 yard free kick past Morgan de Sanctis for the lone goal of the match. Both sides had chances to score more, though Orient did hold more of the flow of play, but Tommy Lee and de Sanctis both played well in stopping good chances. Orient pleased the home crowd by closing out 2006 with a win. There was a small tussle in the stands at Brisbane Road as supporters of Middlesbrough took exception to some Orient fans's comments, but no arrests were made and the scuffle was quickly squelched.

Leeds (2) Leyton Orient (0)

Leeds- A.Smith 33,36

Orient- None

MOM- Paul Robinson, Leeds

Orient played like an undermanned squad as Leeds handily beat them- for good reason, they were an undermanned squad. With most of the regulars winded from the tough match against Middlesbrough and injuries reducing the other choices, Manager Drabek fielded a patchwork lineup and it played like it. Alan Smith took advantage of Clint Hill's poor marking to get free on Tommy Lee twice in a three minute span for both of the Leeds goals. Despite being down, the hodgepodge Orient attack created some excellent chances in the 2nd half, especially Michele Gallacio- forced into a forward role by the extremely ineffective play of Allan Pearce. Gallacio had two wonderful chances foiled by Robinson, before suffering the ignomy of having Robinson save his penalty kick in extra time to keep the clean sheet for the home side. One bright spot for Orient was Justin Georcelin, who played well in his first senior action in some time.

"That was forgettable," sighed Drabek.

Field nodded, "The boys showed heart and effort- but that squad we fielded couldn't handle the class of player out there for Leeds."

Drabek agreed, "It shows what you and I have known, we need to get a better foundation of depth- our first layer is fine, but it is a thin crust and when we go beyond it- we are in trouble because most are not Premier level players."

Leyton Orient (1) Sheffield Wednesday (1) FA Cup 3rd Round

Orient- K.Cooper 18

Wednesday- R.Evans 58

MOM- Derek Geary, Sheffield Wednesday

Orient wasted a chance to move on the 3rd round by drawing 1-1 with Sheffield Wednesday- neccessitating a replay at Sheffield. Kenny Cooper scored in his debut after Bojan Djordjic made a nice, soft pass to free him in the area. Wednesday was able to score the equalizer in the 2nd half as Titus Bramble moved up and that allowed Richard Evans to move in and spoil the debut of Daniel Carr in the Orient net- as his shot trickled through. Orient attacked to try and take the win, but their passing in the offensive zone lacked the quick, sure execution they have shown in the near past.

"I think we need to do it. He has proven he can score, and we need something on the front line pretty badly at present," offered Spencer Field.

"It's more than I really wanted to pay for him, but I have to agree- we need him and we need him now," commented Drabek.

Orient Adds Nevland

Leyton Orient announced they have completed the transfer purchase of 29 year old Norwegian forward Erik Nevland. The reported purchase price to bring Nevland from Rosenborg was 1.6 Million. There is much speculation that this was a panic move on the part of Orient management, due to the current decimated state of forwards on the club, but Manager Will Drabek asserted, "We have been pursuing Erik for quite some time- going back almost two years now. We are very pleased to be adding such a polished professional to our front line."

Leyton Orient (2) Blackburn (0)

Orient- D.Poole 35 E.Nevland 56

Blackburn- None

Orient took much better advantage of the chances they were handed as they saw off visiting Blackburn by a 2-0 margin. David Poole gave Orient the lead after Danny Byrne slid through a nice pass to see him clear in the area. Poole easily beat Brad Friedel with his shot to give Orient the lead. Blackburn had several chances against Tommy Lee, as the Orient backline played very haphazardly, but they just couldn't capitalize. Orient capitalized again in the second half when Bojan Djordjic looped a pass to unattended Erik Nevland. Nevland drilled a shot inside the far post to score in his Orient debut. Orient leaned on Lee to make a couple more fine saves as he finished out the clean sheet in the 2-0 win.

Sheffield Wednesday (1) Leyton Orient (2) FA Cup 3rd round replay

Wednesday- R.Calliste Own-goal 57

Orient- P.Crouch 77 A.Birchall 85

MOM- Peter Crouch, Leyton Orient

After a scoreless first half it appeared that Sheffield Wednesday was all set to please their fans and knock favored Orient out of the FA Cup. A botched corner that Ramon Calliste headed over Tommy Lee set the stage for the win. After getting some good work from Carlo Nash, Wednesday was trying to finish out the win and seemed likely when Michael Duberry was whistled for pushing Adam Proudlock in the area. Tommy Lee likely saved the match for Orient when he saved Kevin Nicholls penalty kick. Orient rallied behind the strong work up front of Peter Crouch. Crouch deflected a Darren Ambrose corner past Nash into the near side of the net to equalize. Aaron Lennon was the triggerman for the match winning goal as he broke to the baseline and hit a swerving cross that Adam Birchall knocked past Nash for his first goal of the season. Orient stymied the last, desperate rally and move on in the tourney on their come from behind 2-1 win.

Leyton Orient (3) Bolton (0)

Orient- D.Poole 7,66 M.Reeves 79

Bolton- None

Orient is starting to show signs of recovering from the series of injuries that have plagued them recently. It was apparent that they were happy to have Danny Byrne back as his pairing with Bojan Djordjic on the opposing wings seems a potent combination. Djordjic keyed the first Orient goal when he absolutely ripped a cross from the just inside the left sideline and David Poole redirected it past Russell Howarth to gain the lead. Howarth made a couple very good saves to start the second half, but had no answer when Adrian Nevins lofted a pass into the middle and Poole made a brilliant half-volley for his 2nd goal of the match. Orient closed out the scoring and clinched the match when Danny Byrne wound up on his off-wing and curled a cross back from the left baseline that Martin Reeves volleyed past Howarth for his first goal of the season. Orient closed out the clean sheet for Per Morten Kristiansen on his return from injury.

Charlton (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Charlton- R.Parlour 39

Orient- P.Crouch 72

MOM- Ray Parlour, Charlton

Orient wasted a chance for a much better result and had to be satisfied with a 1-1 draw at The Valley. Charlton's defensive tandem of Jonathan Fortune and Djimi Traore had a big hand in earning the split of points as they completely neutralized Johann Torhallsson (until subbed on for by Peter Crouch) and also managed to keep a weather eye on Erik Nevland (David Poole was rested for this match). Orient's few chances in the first half ran into the steady play of Fortune, who came up with several good tackles. Charlton took the lead to halftime when newly acquired Ray Parlour outleaped Michael Stewart and headed a long kick from Paul Konchesky past Per Morten Kristiansen. Crouch seemed to give new life to Orient. Adrain Nevins sent a beautiful long pass to a racing Nevland, who slotted the ball over to Crouch for an easy shot into the open side of the net to equalize. Orient's golden chance was wasted as Lee Carsley earned a pair of yellows at 81 minutes. Despite the advantage, Orient's chances were ineffectual and Charlton gratefully accepted the result.

Leyton Orient (6) WBA (3) 4th round FA Cup

Orient- D.Poole 16,18,26,45,86 J.Morris 30

WBA- J.Koumas 14 L.Guy 36 J.Roberts 74

MOM- David Poole

The one-match rest for David Poole paid big dividends for Orient as he had a career night against WBA, pulling Orient through to a wild-n-wooly 6-3 win at Brisbane Road. WBA scored first when Orient botched a corner and left Jason Koumas alone to dump the ball into the open net on the far side. It was a quick response for Orient as Jody Morris zipped a pass that allowed David Poole to snap a shot past Paddy Kenny before he could react. Poole then quickly scored his second of the match when Morris again fired a laser pass that allowed him to take the ball around Kenny and score. Poole completed his hat-trick in 10 minutes and Morris completed his hat-trick of superb passes as he again found him alone just inside the edge of the area and Poole ripped a shot inside the far post. Morris was able to net his 1st Orient goal when Bojan Djordjic whipped a cross in from the baseline and he deflected it past Kenny. WBA got some halftime hope though when Lewis Guy had an easy time slipping a shot past Tommy Lee after a backline mixup allowed Jason Roberts to walk in and then dump the ball to Guy. Orient killed that momentum when Poole scored his 4th goal of the match as Markus Neumayr drilled in a pass to him in first half extra time. WBA got a glimmer of hope when Titus Bramble lost track of Jason Roberts and he streaked in on Lee before firing a shot past him. Orient didn't panic and clinched the match as Poole notched his 5th goal of the match after Darren Ambrose made a perfect chip pass to free him in the area.

Drabek just shook his head, "To think I worried about David (Poole) being able to score in the Premier."

Field chuckled, "Not much doubt about that one anymore. On a more serious note, have you been able to sign him to a contract extension?"

"Not yet. He wants more basic wage than the board will allow- so we will probably have to make a last-ditch offer after the season."

Just a note of explanation- I will be gone camping for the next week or so. Educated Hick has graciously agreed to keep up the daily posts on my stories while I am gone. Thanks again Educated icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies to all- that didn't work out too well because Educated never received the text files. In any case back from camping and the story continues...

Wolves (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Wolves- F.Kanoute 30

Orient- D.Poole 21

MOM- Frederic Kanoute, Wolves

It was a see-saw match with both sides generating plenty of chances, but poor finishing on both clubs parts led to a 1-1 draw. Orient made the most of one of their few first half chances, as Wolves held control of much of the play. Johann Torhallsson took a nice pass from Markus Nuemayr and smartly crossed to Poole. Poole half-volleyed past Conejo Perez for his 100th goal at Orient. Wolves evened the match up when Per Morten Kristiansen was able to parry a hard shot from Henri Camera, only to see Frederic Kanoute pounce on the rebound and slash it past him. Orient took control of the matches flow in the 2nd half, but despite numerous good chances wasn't able to get another one past Perez and had to settle for the draw.

"How long?"

"Tony says at least 3 weeks," flatly stated Field.

Drabek muttered, "We didn't need that!"

Poole Injures Ankle- Out 3 Weeks

On the heels of celebrating his 100th goal for Orient, young sensation David Poole injured his ankle in training today and is expected to miss the next three weeks. Newly acquired Erik Nevland is expected to replace him in the lineup.

No idea how I managed to miss all 9 pages of this icon_eek.gif, but I'm here now. Fantastic all the way through, but the lack of Allan Pearce throughout the Premiership campaign is disappointing.

Allan Pearce >>>>> *

(I have a signed Allan Pearce shirt icon_cool.gif Plays for Lincoln you see, or did anyway. You want to touch me, don't you? icon_razz.gif)

Thanks Daz - you deserve some credit for slogging through the whole thing icon_smile.gif

I liked Allan Pearce too- but he didn't play well in any of the EPL matches and I was forced to conclude that he wasn't going to help me there (sorry...)

Leyton Orient (0) Liverpool (0)

Orient- None

Liverpool- None

MOM- Chris Kirkland, Liverpool

Orient had the better of play, but Liverpool's Chris Kirkland earned his MOM honors as he stopped Johann Torhallsson twice in saving the scoreless draw for visiting Liverpool. Torhallsson twice was sent in free on Kirkland, but both times he was able to parry the shots from the Icelandic forward. He also benefitted from the bar when Erik Nevland's rising shot beat him cleanly- but bounced back off the crossbar. Liverpool had few chances of their own, the closest being Michael Owen's curving blast that Per Morten Kristiansen was able to parry. The scoreless draw leaves Orient still holding a three point lead over Chelsea for 2nd place and Liverpool trailing by 5 points in 4th place.

Tottenham (3) Leyton Orient (1)

Tottenham- J.Redknapp 23 H.Postiga 68 R.Knopper 90

Orient- J.Torhallsson 71

MOM- Simon Davies, Tottenham

Tottenham proved very poor hosts as they dumped Orient by a 3-1 score. In a match that was closer than the score indicates, it was Steve Simonsen's early work in net that stood out. Simonsen stopped both Johann Torhallsson and Erik Nevland in one-on-one situations. If either of those score, the match would likely have been much different. Tottenham's first goal came when Jamie Redknapp cruised up the middle of the pitch and the Orient midfielders failed to close on him. Redknapp drilled a precision 25 yarder past Tommy Lee just inside the post. Tottenham went up 2-0 as Robbie Keane outmaneuvered Titus Bramble, but Lee parried his shot. The rebound went right to Helder Postiga who was unattended and whisked the ball into the open net. Orient drew a goal back when Bjorn Djordjic made a neat, soft pass that put Torhallsson in on Simonsen. This time Torhallsson's shot sailed by the flat footed Simonsen into the far corner of the net. Totthenham finally put away stubborn Orient when Richard Knopper headed over Lee on a cross from Ledley King.

ENGLAND

Nigeria (0) England (3) Friendly- Lagos, Nigeria

Nigeria- None

England- A.Smith 33,57,87

MOM- Alan Smith, England

In a friendly that featured first time Caps for several players, it was Alan Smith that stood out as the dominant force. Eschewing the usual forward pairing of Owen-Rooney, Manager Drabek chose Smith and Francis Jeffers to begin up front. Smith gave England the first half lead when an excellent through ball from skipper Steven Gerrard put him free and he blistered a shot past Greg Etafia. Gerrard was the triggerman again when he smartly crossed to Smith, who deflected it past Etafia. Owen Hargreaves then zipped a pass in to find Smith a step behind the defense and he fired it past Ijoh Ettah (who replaced Etafia). Smith counted himself fortunate to finish off his first International hat-trick, as he missed a golden opportunity for his 3rd goal a few minutes prior to completing the scoring. The entire English backline of Daniel Higginbotham, Carl Laurie, Titus Bramble and Darren Purse were making their International debuts and acquitted themselves well.

"Nice interview with Carl Laurie in the paper," commented Spencer Field.

"Oh?"

"Has the usual about being happy with his first Cap, but he also thanked you directly and stated that it proved that players didn't have to move to the 'big' clubs to prove they belong on the National side."

Drabek shook his head, "Well, he earned his first yellow too..."

Archived