Team Talk for Substitutes

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum?

Have been struggling for many versions now to get a reaction from subs when bringing them on if my team are ahead. They always seem to be 'complacent' or 'disinterested' and go on to post a poor rating.

Any advice? Very disheartening.

Thanks in advance.

If I see them starting to become complacent and we keep winning, even in the press conference I will make sure to praise the opposition or say it will be a tough match to hopefully bring them back to reality a bit. 

3 hours ago, tyro said:

If I see them starting to become complacent and we keep winning, even in the press conference I will make sure to praise the opposition or say it will be a tough match to hopefully bring them back to reality a bit. 

I do this, too. Thanks. But that's pre-game.

The one that's frustrating is the talk to subs when they're coming on to a team that's winning already.

I don't know the exact math behind team talks, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that players being extremely delighted at all times isn't a good thing - makes sense that very happy players could become complacent. I like to mix it up, boost their morale and be lenient when things are not going well and be assertive or even aggressive when our form is good. If that leads to negative reactions or nervous body language, well, at least you know who to get rid of at the first opportunity. :brock:

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:27, tyro said:

Assertive : there's more to come from you. Sometimes works. Sometimes no reaction. 

Hi Tyro,

Tried that - no joy. The subs are still complacent and not performing very well.

Thanks anyway.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 05:46, tyro said:

Are you doing a friendly or competitive match? Are you constantly winning? When they come on is the match decided?

I usually get at least "in deep thought" or something as a reaction.

Competitive matches, Tyro.

Yes, it happened when the we are leading by a big margin and the game is effectively decided.

It means that substitutes hardly ever play well.

I can imagine in real life when a team is 5 up and you bring in a substitute he will also be like, well what you want me to do, this is done. Unless you can tell them, let's try to break the record and beat them 10-0 or something to challenge them. 

4 hours ago, PODSYMAN said:

Ok, thanks.

for my team is ManUtd,so this is my teamtalk :

1) aggressive - i want win this !!! :mad: :mad:

we are United,so we expect to win,so i have to show my red face :mad::seagull:

see what happen,if no effect then pick defender,Midfield,forward :

2) i believe you,you can do it !!

if the the aggressive work,only few player no respond,then pick the player one by one,tell then :

2) i believe you,you can do it !!

this is the best way i do...very very effective
maybe only for big club ?

i don't know..

Team Talk for Substitutes ?
same,i always do this,said some thing like :

i believe you,you can do it !!

^ I only use aggressive at half or full time when my team is behind or has lost a game we really should be winning. Results are pretty much always either motivation or being fired up, which I think is the best response possible under the circumstances. 

I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel if a manager would be aggressive all the time at the start of a match or when subbing someone on. I believe players (and certainly myself) would switch off real fast, so to me it feels counterproductive. Not sure if that variant of team talk would work well in FM though.

This is related but a little off topic: How often do people use shouts?  In previous games I would rarely see any indication of a player reaction, but in fm19 they are much more responsive to them.  If I tell them to tighten up late in a close game or to concentrate if we've given up a chance or after scoring a goal, it seems the entire team will often be frustrated or angry.  Has anyone had more success with team shouts during the game?  I have found that directing a shout to an individual or a small group of players tends to be more successful but sometimes you want to make a team shout.

Archived