Out of the Manchester Shadow......

boothy82

I don’t normally write about the games, but I’m laid up with a knee injury so thought I would give it ago.

I've decided to try and bring Stockport County out of the shadows of Manchester United and Manchester City.

SCFC.png.12d272d3850d6fa77f7754348c8324ed.png

The Club founded in 1883, played in the Lancashire League until 1900, when they were admitted to the Football League Second Division (now the Championship).

Affectionately known as ‘The Hatters’, a nickname adopted due to the Stockport being the centre of the Victorian hat-making industry, the team has spent most of their history in the lower Leagues of English Football.

Stockport peaked in around the mid to late 90’s finishing second in League One in 1996/97 and gaining promotion to the Championship. They would also reach the semi-final the League Cup that same year, where they would lose 2-1 on aggregate to Middlesbrough.

In the 1997/98 season Stockport reached their highest league position finishing 8th in the Championship.

Due to instability on and off the pitch the club went into a decline, spending four more seasons in the championship, before being relegated to League one in the 2001/02 season.

The club would spend the next nine seasons yo-yoing between League One and League Two and suffered back to back relegations from League One and League Two in 2009/10 and 2010/11 respectively. This was the first time that the club had been out of the football league since its inauguration into the league football in 1900.

Stockport had two seasons in the Conference National, before relegation to the Conference North in 2012/13. They have remained in the Conference North ever since.

The trophy cabinet is relatively bare, with two lower league titles in 1922 and 1937 and a League Two title in 1967.

The very try and bring Stockport County out of the Manchester shadows. Being within 7 miles of the Manchester Giants United and City, the smaller Greater Manchester clubs have always struggled for support.

The aim for this save is I want to better what Stockport have achieved in the past. So I want the League One title and to finish higher than 8th in the Championship. Also I want the League Cup. Ambitions that are attainable, then from there who knows?

I will be replacing former player and club Legend Jim Gannon. Gannon had been in charge of the team for the third time, having previously secured promotion via the play-offs to League One in 2008, before leavening in 2009 for Motherwell and ending a four year spell. He would manage the team for the second time between 2011 and 2013, returning in 2016 after a stint with Northwich Victoria.

Gannon was part of the playing staff during the clubs most successful period in the mid-late 90’s. Gannon spent 11 years at the club.

Big Boots to fill then………

As with most saves I have stopped transfers in the first window, so no signing till January.

Anyway enough of the history lesson and down to business.

Firstly I like to bring in my own staff. I like to bring people that live within an hour of the club as they would know more and care more about the club (or I like to pretend).

So I sacked all the current staff and signed my assistant and friend (in the game) Dom Piggott from Manchester along with the others below:

Piggott.thumb.png.d5093bfecc63fff690456a57b4b728e5.png

Director of Football - Charlie Amis - Oldham

Head of Youth Development - Wesley Foster - Macclesfield

Goalkeeper Coach - Nigel Hine - Salford

Fitness Coach - Neil Attenborough - Glossop

Head Physio - Derek Nield - Radcliffe

Physio - Zach Thomas - Bury

Sports Scientist - Dominic Carroll - Salford

Chief Scout - Kieran Fitzpatrick - Accrington

Chief Data Analyst - Ian Symington - Urmston

Scout - Nigel Bird - Manchester

Scout - Ray Cunningham – Radcliffe

U23 Manager - Jim Leather - Salford

U18 Manager - Charlie Rooney - Macclesfield

U18 Assistant Manager - Douglas McCann - Stalybridge

U18 Coach - Nick Cullingworth – Chesterfield.

The formation is going to be a 4-2-2-2DM. This is a new formation for me, as I have tried my old formation and in my first save and it didn’t work.

This is an aggressive, combative formation with the hope of winning matches rather than focusing on style etc. After all the main aim is to climb back into the football league as soon as possible.

Formation.thumb.png.d6b1bd9c7d81e4526b9e064f66ef7976.png

I will only train one formation and chop and change it during the match as and when losing or chasing a goal etc.

GOALKEEPER

GK.png.73d6bb5fdd7661ffb29c8e2d4b25c36f.png

FULLBACKS

FB.png.14d0487b90f4ebdd729fb7533f44a2f1.png

CENTRAL DEFENDER LEFT

DCL.png.1fdff88ddcd5fa1d2268484605a06a28.png

CENTRAL DEFENDER RIGHT

DCR.png.f94f809a3f4450caec6acc3b09bf2f51.png

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS

DM.png.27a33186d96c7da10bb7c7ff84dd9e59.png

WINGERS

WNG.png.ca234f431062cbc77469ee38d2acaa2f.png

FORWARD RIGHT

FCR.png.cb580b73e516e86cb8ebb8ff84afbd15.png

FORWARD LEFT

FCL.png.d16c6c334f9500ee9df04b9d8c3fce81.png

Opposition instructions are tight mark everyone and hard tackle everyone.

The playing squad is decent for this level and should be enough to a promotion bid, well until January when I can strengthen slightly. We lacking in the left back area and cover in the central midfield, but these were mad up by youngsters Ken Ward (Left Back) and Dom Raynes (Defensive Midfield) both are 16 years old and have ok stats. Dom Raynes is probably the best prospect at the club.

Squad.thumb.png.a19af9d980bc499ec1634a8cd2d13c69.png

The best players at the club are in central midfield with Paul Turnbull and Connor Dimaio, who are captain and vice-captain respectively.

PRE-SEASON

Pre-season went well with four wins and one draw. Ten goals scored and none conceded.

Pre-Season.thumb.png.fd96e02651f7ed7ede61e3a68a493e7e.png

Key average stats from the friendlys:

SHOTS FOR (avg)

14.4 per game

SHOTS ON TARGET (avg)

5.2 per game

CLEAR CUT CHANCES (avg)

1 per game

POSSESSION (avg)

60.2% per game

PASS COMPLETION (avg)

77.2% (463.8/600.8) per game

SHOTS AGAINST (avg)

2.2 per game

SHOTS ON TARGET AGAINST (avg)

0.8 per game

I’m very pleased with the opening friendly’s, the stats are fairly impressive, especially the pass completion attempts, especially when you consider Man City averaged 89% pass completion and 743 per game in there record breaking season in 2017/18.

The one to keep an eye on however will be the clear cut chances that I have created, as a couple of games I didn’t create any and one I created three, but if I keep winning, I’m not going to be too concerned.

LET THE SEASON BEGIN...……….

Before we start this is an overview of the playing staff:

Squad.thumb.png.964f7fae0f03c85d2a4e01568b9c8714.png

So I had already started this save before writing this thread and didn’t realise I couldn’t go back and take screenshots of the league table standings (unless someone can tell me different). I have played until the start of December and haven’t got screen shots of the league standings, but I have worked out what they would have been and have commented where Stockport would have been at the end of each month.

AUGUST

Stockport County v FC United

The season kicked off with a home game against FC United, which I was hoping we would win. However it ended 0-0. It was not for the want of trying though as we dominated the game, having 65% and a total of 13 shot (5 on target and hitting the woodwork 3 times). FC United created 2 shots (1 on target hitting the woodwork once).

So there were positives to take from the game.

York City v Stockport County

Next we travelled to York. York were favourites for this one and it would prove to be a tough game. York took the lead on 40 minutes, before our right back Sam Minihan was sent off for a second bookable offence on 61 minutes. The lads didn’t give up and Frank Mulhern equalised on 77 minutes and the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

In terms of stats it was an even game, both teams had 6 shots, 2 on target for York and 4 on target for us, both creating 1 clear cut chance each. We had slightly more possession with 54%.

Southport v Stockport County

The next game saw us away again to Southport. We went 2-0 up before half time, Frank Mulhern (30) and Jake Kirby (45+1). Connor Dimaio picked up an ankle injury on 60 minutes (which resulted in a 4 week layoff) and Southport grabbed a late consolation goal on 82. The game ended in a 2-1 win. Stockport bossed the game once again enjoying 60% possession and having 14 shots (3 on target, 1 clear cut chance, hitting the woodwork once). Southport had 5 shots (4 on target).

Stockport County v Guiseley

The next game was at home to Guiseley. The game didn’t start well and we went 1-0 down on 14 minutes. It didn’t take long to equalise with Jake Kirby making it 1-1 on 27 minutes. The lads huffed and puffed, but the game would end 1-1, once again failing to win at home.

Stockport had 18 shots (11 on target) and enjoyed 60% possession. Guiseley had 6 shots (scoring with their only shot on target).

Bradford PA v Stockport County

Back on our travels for the next one away to Bradford PA (the Bradford teams tend to be my bogey teams and I seldom get a result against them). The Hatters broke the deadlock through Sam Walker on 12 minutes and it wasn’t long till they were 2-0 up through Jake Kirby (19) with his 3rd in 3 games. Bradford pulled a goal back on 29 minutes before Matthew Warburton (41) bagged a third before half-time. The game would end in a 3-1 away win, although Bradford were probably the better team. Stockport had 51% possession and 9 shots (4 on target, 3 clear cut chances, hitting the woodwork once), whereas Bradford had 13 shots (7 on target).

Stockport County v Alfreton Town

Stockport entertained Alfreton next, looking for their first win. It wasn’t to be with the game fizzling out into a 0-0 draw. Lots of possession for Stockport again, 60%, but unable to break down a stubborn defence. Stockport had 10 shot (5 on target) compared to 2 (both on target) from Alfreton.

Kidderminster Harriers v Stockport County

Kidderminster away was next and it took until the 74 minute, Matthew Warburton, to break the deadlock for Stockport, and that was how the game ended, 1-0 to Stockport. Possession was pretty even, with Stockport edging it with 54%. Stockport had 13 shots (4 on target, 2 clear cut chances) and Kidderminster had 5 (1 on target). A vintage away performance.

Stockport County v Leamington Spa

A home game against Leamington rounded off the month of August. FINALY the Stockport County fans saw a win at Edgeley Park. Captain Paul Turnbull opened the scoring on 57 minutes, before Matthew Warburton (76) added a second. Warburton could have made it 3, but missed a penalty on 78 minutes. The game ended in a 2-0 win. Another pretty dominant display. 61% possession for Stockport, 14 shots (3 on target, 3 clear cut chances, 3 hit the woodwork). Leamington ended with 3 shots (0 on target).

So a mixed bag for August, 4 wins and 4 draws, however we were the only unbeaten team left in the division, sitting 4th in the table on 16 points, 3 points off the early leaders Hereford. Seem to be creating chances, but perhaps lack the quality to finish them off.

Despite reservation from the fans and the board, we’ll stick with the formation and see how we get on.

August.thumb.png.c2b427afa1f6eb0bbb7a0b2f9730bbde.png

SEPTEMBER

September saw the start of Stockport’s FA Cup campaign, but before that there was the small matter of two league games

Stockport v Boston United

Another home game and a chance to build on our first home win last time out. The match came to life toward the end of the first half, with Matthew Warburton scoring a 6 minute double (36,42). The scored stayed that way and Stockport won 2-0. Plenty of possession again for Stockport with 62%. Stockport had 15 shots (3 on target, 2 clear cut chances). Boston had 3 shots (1 on target).

AFC Telford v Stockport

We’ve been brilliant away from home, but Telford are unbeaten at home thus far, winning 2 and drawing 2. This was a tough game, but the good news was the return of Connor Dimaio to the match squad following his injury and he earned a place on the bench.

An even game for the most part, but we took the lead just before half time, Matthew Warburton (44) with his 5th game in his last 4. Darren Stephenson got a bruised ankle on 68 minutes and had to be substituted (only a slight injury out for 3 days). The game was wrapped up when Frank Mulhern (73) made it 2-0 with his first goal in 5 games.

Overall a very good performance away from home and a deserved win. Stockport had 54% possession and 11 shots (5 on target), Telford had 7 shots (3 on target).

Stockport v AFC Rushden & Diamonds

FA Cup day, 2nd Qualifying Round. A lower league side, with no players suggested that should have been a walk over.

We got a penalty and on 37 minutes, Matthew Warburton missed that penalty, meaning the game went to half-time 0-0. Second-half was much the same as the first-half, plenty of possession and shots, but no end product. Frank Mulhern had to go off injured with  twisted ankle on 57 minutes (this would keep him out for 3 weeks).

Finally the breakthrough came through when Connor Dimaio (74) scored on his first start since his injury. The second goal took a long time coming and Nyal Bell (90+2) scored his first goal for the club to seal qualification to the next round.

A dominant game from start to finish with Stockport enjoying 60% possession. We managed 17 shots (6 on target, 2 clear cut chances). Rucshden managed just 3 shots (2 on target).

Darlington v Stockport

Another tough away game, but we do like playing away! Stockport took the lead on 13 minutes through Jake Kirby. Darlington pegged us back on the stroke of half-time. Connor Dimaio (57) made it 2-1 and the game ended that way.

Stockport dominated the possession with 61%. We managed 16 shot (5 on target, 1 clear cut chance). Darlington managed 6 shots (3 on target).

September saw the Hatters win all four games and remain unbeaten. With that we gain top spot in the league with 25 point, 3 points above second place Hereford. The draw for the FA Cup 3rd Qual. Rnd took place, with Stockport given an away tie against lower league side Marine.

September also saw a first Manager of the Month award for me.

September.thumb.png.ee498cd9156e5273ec71fa0bc896c3d1.png

SEASON REVIEW SO FAR

I’m pretty pleased with the way things have gone remained unbeaten in my first 12 games winning 8 of those. The positives are definitely the defensive solidity of the team using this formation, having only conceded 5 goals and keeping 7 cleansheets. Also the amount of possession and pass completion is very pleasing.

POSSESSION (avg)

58% per game

PASS COMPLETION (avg)

74% (456/612) per game

The team doesn’t score loads, not sure if this is down to the tactics or the quality of the playing staff, I guess time will tell. I thinking it may be the later as the stats suggest I’m creating chances and 38% of the teams shot are on target.

SHOTS FOR (avg)

13 per game

SHOTS ON TARGET (avg)

5 per game

CLEAR CUT CHANCES (avg)

2 per game

WOODWORK (avg)

1 per game

Archived