New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friends, I would like a notebook which I kept quiet about Fm for the next years( 2014 - 2015) , will be a third generation configuration i7 with 8gb of ram and 2 gb dedicated video card would be good?

I like to play fm with about 55-60 thousand players loaded

It's the MSI CX61 0NF-467UK £680 is the cost, although it was only £570 last month but never mind! The only negatives I can find about it is the looks, but that really doesn't matter for me when it comes to laptops.

I've got the version without the BR player and paid £588 and it's very good.

Guys, what is the main difference between ultrabooks and normal laptops? Above all when it comes to CPU, how big is the difference between a laptop Intel i5 and an ultrabook Intel i5 processor? Above all in relation to FM.

There's really very little difference.

In terms of what the processor is - that's a different story altogether.

The i5 is just a model reference number for the processor.

It's usually followed by 3 or 4 digits and a letter such as U or M

i3 = entry level

i5 = mid level

i7 = high level

2xxx means second generation, 3xxx means third generation and 4xxx means 4th generation

The U usually specifies that it's made specifically for an Ultrabook

M usually specifies it's made for a Laptop

You can buy Ultrabooks that have an M processor in them - http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,laptops-and-tablets,laptops/11105-4294944068-477990000

But Ultrabooks are meant to be lighter and the battery is supposed to last longer on them - so using an M processor in it is going to drain more battery quicker.

A typical U processor like i5-3437U has a Clock Speed of 1.9 GHz and a max speed of 2.9 GHz

Note that the processor will run at 1.9 or slower as it gets hotter. FM2013 is a massively intense on the processor, so the Hotter it gets, the slower the game becomes in terms of processing.

If you're looking at Laptop you can find that they can come with U or M processors a typical M processor would have

i5-3340M

Clock Speed 2.7 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency 3.4 GHz

Which is significantly higher than the i5-3437U

Which one should you buy?

Well you can get an Ultrabook with an i5 3xxxU processor that will be slower

or you can get an Ultrabook with an i5 3xxxM processor which will be faster - but may drain your battery faster.

You can get a laptop with a i5 3xxxU - which will be a slower processor

Or you can get a laptop with an i53xxxM - which will be faster

The important thing to remember is that the U processors are designed to be slower so it maintains longer battery life in the machine when unplugged.

The main difference is the Processor Speed.

Eugene Tyson, thank you very much for such an extenstive response! One thing I may not have understood well, when the "U" processor gets hotter and slows down, is that always, or only when running on battery mode?

I've been proposed Sony Vaio Fit 15, it has Intel Core i5-3337U, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 8GB of memory, do you have any idea what kind of experience I could expect while playing FM?

You misunderstood me -

The U processors are a slower model designed for Ultrabook computers, this model is a good processor, but it's design and operation is to use less battery power when unplugged... making it last longer on the go.

It's not that the Processor will get hot when it's run on Battery power. Whether it's plugged in or running on battery is not what makes a processor get hot. It gets hot from being used excessively - with any sort of program.

When any processor regardless of it's a U or M or even a desktop processor - once it gets hot it starts to run at slower speed to prevent damage and hopefully cool down.

With football manager it's a very processor intensive game - so it's likely the processor will get hot.

Once it does get hot - any processor regardless of what it's for, laptop, ultrabook, or desktop - will slow down to it's slowest speed to prevent it getting too hot and being damaged.

The Intel i5-3337 U processor runs at 1.8ghz but can overclock to 2.7ghz.

This means that when the processor is kept cool it can operate at 2.7ghz.

Once it gets hot - or the processor is needed for something else - it will run between 1.8ghz - 2.7ghz depending on what the computer is doing. FM may run a little bit slower when processing games, transfers of players, or progressing to the next day.

With the HD Graphics 4000 - that will be enough to view matches in 3D once you keep the detail Low for the 3D graphics.

And with 8gb RAM - enough for anyone and certainly enough for FM.

It will certainly play FM and you should have a decent experience. But watch out for the computer getting hot - and if it's consistently getting hot then buy a laptop cooler.

Please, can I indicate a good notebook to run the next fms carrying about 60,000 players and leaving the game in the fast passage of days?

I7 2.3GHz 3 generation going to 3.3 Ghz, 8GB of ram and dedicated video card 2GB would be given a notebook?

Please, can I indicate a good notebook to run the next fms carrying about 60,000 players and leaving the game in the fast passage of days?

I7 2.3GHz 3 generation going to 3.3 Ghz, 8GB of ram and dedicated video card 2GB would be given a notebook?

It's the MSI CX61 0NF-467UK £680 is the cost, although it was only £570 last month but never mind! The only negatives I can find about it is the looks, but that really doesn't matter for me when it comes to laptops.

There's a better MSI CX61 available for less money now (£650 at the moment)..

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_CX61_Haswell_1389669.html

• Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Haswell Quad Core Processor
  • 15.6" HD Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64bit
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1000GB HDD
  • DVD-RW
  • Dedicated GT 740M 2GB Graphics

As the listing does not state which i3 model is being used I wouldn't bother, as a general purpose laptop it looks fine but for FM it could be underpowered & worse still outdated.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5089105.htm

Will this run fm13 well? Need a new laptop due to overheating and needing more oomph. My budget is £350 if you have any better ideas?

For a little extra this one has an I-5 3rd generation processor.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_K55A-SX376H_red_1337331.html

Not sure how well it'll run FM though, but for what its worth mine runs FM fine and I've got a pretty much obsolete Athlon Dual Core M300 and Radeon HD4200 card, with just 3GB RAM in my laptop and I often play FM with 40,000 players and 5 or 6 of the main European leagues playable. The 3D match is smooth too, albeit on the low settings. So I guess that ASUS I-5 laptop with double the memory will run FM13 just fine, even with integrated graphics.

Hi,

I want to buy a new laptop. One I could use to play fm 2013 and hopefully 2014 to. I was thinking about this one:

Toshiba Satellite C855-255

Processor Intel Core i5 - 3230M 2.6 GHz

Windows 8

Intern geheugen 8192 MB DDR3 2 x 4096 MB

1024 MB video memory

videocart: AMD HD 7610

What do you think about this? Would be ok?

And also, slightly off topic from the O/P, but what do you guys think of the whole LED/LCD/PLASMA TV debate? Im looking for a new TV for the upcoming next gen consoles but I really have no idea what to get to help reduce the 'motion lag' i get at the moment and other things. Only looking to spend 300-400, cheers!

And also, slightly off topic from the O/P, but what do you guys think of the whole LED/LCD/PLASMA TV debate? Im looking for a new TV for the upcoming next gen consoles but I really have no idea what to get to help reduce the 'motion lag' i get at the moment and other things. Only looking to spend 300-400, cheers!

Funny you mention that as I'm looking into buying a new TV soon too! First you started this thread looking for a laptop/pc at around the same time as me now we're both looking for TV's lol.

Funny you mention that as I'm looking into buying a new TV soon too! First you started this thread looking for a laptop/pc at around the same time as me now we're both looking for TV's lol.

Haha, it's funny how it works out! Let's just hope someone with a decent knowledge on TV's can come and enlighten us :D

New laptop needed for fm13 and the future fm's. £350 budget. Any links would be great as really wanting to get started on fm13 before fm14 lands :)

My current laptop is -

samsung r20

14 inch screen

ati radeon graphics

vista

intel core 2 duo 1.83ghz

2gb ram and is nearly 6yrs old

Battery is broken, charger has exposed wires and it overheats so anything you suggest will be massive improvement.

That looks great, is there much difference between i3 and i5 processers? Will this run fm13 well? I use my laptop for fm and the net really. Only load small database with top leagues from france, italy, spain, germany, holland, portugal and all leagues from england and scotland. Its about 40,000 players I think.

Difference between i3 and i5 processors? That's a loaded question.

The main difference is that i3 processors are dual core and i5 processors (bar the i5 661) are quad core.

Dual core is plenty sufficient for Football Manager - but the i5 would be possibly better.

Then there's the issue of Cache

If a computer is using the same data frequently it stores it on a little desk inside itself called a "cache" so it can "fetch" or access that data quickly when needed. Sorta like if you need to write a post it note frequently - you wouldn't put the post it notes on the other side of the room. Every time you want to write a note you'd have to get up - so the Cache stores data so it doesn't have to send for that data every time - it's just there for it to use when needed.

Cache isn't to be confused with RAM although it behaves very much like it. It's basically RAM for the processor it's built into it. The Cache can be accessed faster that's why it uses it over RAM and if it has a small cache (like a small desk) it can't hold as much things, but the larger the cache (the bigger the desk and add a filing cabinet) the more data it can store without having to access the RAM. If you are out of Cache space the processor will store the information at RAM (so you have to swivel in your chair or go to the cupboard to get the data you need) - slightly slower, but not too slow. When your RAM is full and your Cache is full - now you have to to the Hard Drive (or the Garden Shed) and look for places to put all your data - then whenever you need that again you need to go to the Hard Drive (the Shed) and search through it to find where it is - that would take even longer!

RAM limits the interaction with the hard drive and the cache will limit the interaction with RAM.

So the larger the Cache the faster you can access that data and the faster your computer can process.

All i3 processors (that I know of) have 3mb cache - and i5 processors (bar the i5 661) have 6mb cache. And i7 have 8mb Cache.

An i3 Processor has 2 cores - and 3mb cache.

I5 processor has 4 cores and 6mb cache.

What does that mean for FM? Nothing really - the i3 will be slightly slower than the i5 - and I mean marginal!!!

And the folks at intel have made it easier than ever to pick the correct laptop for your needs!

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/how-to-choose-the-right-processor.html

Think I got some Cache sizes in processors wrong there.

I think the i7 have 6mb cache and i5 also have this but some have less - anyway you can check out the cache size on the processor by simply doing an internet search.

I might just add - just because it's an i3 or i5 doesn't automatically mean that the Cache size are different.

Some i5 processors have only 3mb cache.

The i5-3470 has 6mb cache - where 3380M has 3mb cache

Hoping for some help for some of you more clued up people.

I've got a budget around £500 for a new laptop. Looking for something that I won't have to be looking to replace in a year or 2. I generally use it for FM. Current laptop is awful and struggles to run it at all but would like to be able to run large database and the major European leagues. I would like it to run 3D match view without any problems.

Aside from FM I'm usually just browsing the internet, doing some streaming on SkyGo, listening to a bit of music, the odd download now and then etc.

I've looked at the 2 below and wondering what you guys think would be best? Or if anyone can point me in the direction of a better option for a similar price.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571_1432808.html

or

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_K55VD-SX494H_1337330.html

Thanks.

I've got a budget around £500 for a new laptop. Looking for something that I won't have to be looking to replace in a year or 2. I generally use it for FM. Current laptop is awful and struggles to run it at all but would like to be able to run large database and the major European leagues. I would like it to run 3D match view without any problems.

Aside from FM I'm usually just browsing the internet, doing some streaming on SkyGo, listening to a bit of music, the odd download now and then etc.

I've looked at the 2 below and wondering what you guys think would be best? Or if anyone can point me in the direction of a better option for a similar price.

or

Thanks.

The i7 would be best for what you want. Even though the i5 has a graphics card it's not the best - it's only entry level graphics card.

The i7 is quad core and that will be more beneficial when you're multitasking.

Which is better for smooth fm, bigger ram or faster processer? I am choosing between 2 laptops and one has 8gb ram and 2.4ghz and the other has 4gb ram but 2.5ghz with turboboost to 3.1ghz processer.

You'd need to let us know what processor models they are.

or

Thanks.

the ASUS has dedicated Graphics which I would sway towards. Especially to run a 3D match!

the ASUS has dedicated Graphics which I would sway towards. Especially to run a 3D match!

That Graphics card - as I said earlier - is entry level and it will not really help all that much in terms of 3d graphics.

It's not the best computer to go for anyway.

Guys, just after some advice! I was going to get myself a PS4 this Christmas and am course to have about £450 saved up by then. However, over the last year or so my gaming time has reduced due to having a young child and a promotion at work (I'm a teacher). So I am now in two minds as to whether its actually worth me getting something that I would rarely use!

On the other side, up until FM12 I was a huge FM player, since the days of Clive Tyldsley and CM2. My current laptop is ageing, hence why I didn't get FM13. Now I have some time off, I am going to pick up a copy cheap in pc world today but expect it to run slowly.

Anyways, the question I am asking is will I be able to get a decent laptop that would run FM14 fairly smoothly for around £450 this Christmas? The odd hour on FM with the Mrs watching the tv could well be an easier option than the PS4!

Thanks.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-551G_1431730.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571G_1289839.html

The above 2 choices would be good for processing and 3d Graphics for the matches.

If 3D graphics and watching matches is not your cup of tea and you want to process day to day faster then this would be best

This one http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571_1303144.html

It's a bit out of your budget - but it would be faster at processing the games from day to day - but wouldn't be up to scratch on the 3d graphics - you'd probably have to set the 3d graphics match play to low quality - and turn off certain stadium graphic features.

But all 3 above would play fm just fine.

Keep in mind that this is an i5 520M - which indicates a first generation i5 processor.

It would play FM just fine - I think. It's not a fantastic laptop though.

Certainly not. i would rather add a bit more to get a newer one tbh. My current laptop is Intel Pentium Dual Core with 2gb RAM. Does enough but I would expect the above one would be a little quicker processing etc.

Even with my one now it can run 3D on low quality just a little choppy when transitions between different events (after scoring for example)

It wouldn't be much better.

What's your budget?

Eugene what do you reckon about this?...

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_CX61_Haswell_1389669.html

Is it value for money? I know I could get a good desktop for that price but unfortunately only have room for a laptop so that's the one I've been looking at. Its not only for FM but for other games too, like BF3, Star Citizen (when its released), and ArmA2 etc. Something like that should breeze through FM shouldn't it?, but would be adequate/good for the much higher spec games I mentioned?

Just because it's an i7 and 4th gen doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice.

I've repeated advised to compare the processors on Notebook Checker and Ark Intel - I'm not familiar with AMD processors at all.

You need to make an informed decision, and the best thing to do is research what you're buying extensively. Would you buy a car with poor fuel efficiency, or cost you more on road tax because it's older?

That laptop looks ok - but it's not the best - you can get faster i5 and i7 processors that are 3rd gen and completely fine for FM. You could probably get an i3 processor that is faster.

Don't get sucked in by the latest processor, go for the faster one!

RAM and video card - that's 2nd really.

4gb is loads - 8gb is more than loads.

Video card, check them out on notebook checker. Just because it says it has 2gb of RAM means sweet all for FM. 1gb of RAM in Video is plenty and even overkill.

But it's not the GB Ram in a video card that makes it good! It's nothing to do with it. You need to check that out on Notebook Checker or other comparison websites.

Hi Guys,

As my laptop was barely able to run FM13, I'm pretty certain FM14 will be even more of a struggle.

Got a budget of around £400. Not fussed on the make or being able to run it in 3D, would just like to be able to run the English Leagues (Prem to Conference North/South) at a decent speed on a large database as on FM12 them leagues run at half a star on my current laptop.

Any advice appreciated :)

edit: looking at this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-V3-571G-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B00CFHPB2I/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1375461425&sr=1-2&keywords=laptop+nvidia+graphics+2.5

I was planning to buy a new MacBook Air, of course the ability to run FM properly is required, not sure if I should buy the BASIC 13" (i5 Haswell, 4 Gb RAM, 128 HD) or an upgraded one.

Do you have any experience/tips with the Air and Football Manager?

Thanks.

Broke my laptop screen for the 2nd time in 18 months so I'm looking to get a new laptop. Was just wondering if this laptop would be any good as a replacement. Bit wary of the ADM processor in particular so if anyone can tell me if its good to run FM and the 3d engine it would be appreciated!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-355V5C-15-6-inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B009SJCW3C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Cheers guys!

Archived