New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't played FM for a few years, but I'm about to get a new laptop and would like to get one that will run FM as smoothly as possible so I can dive back into this lovely game. Before I buy something though I'd like to hear the opinions of you fine gentlemen. How many leagues would I be able to run on the laptop below?

The laptop I'm looking at is the Lenovo G50-70 and the cheapest I can find it for here in Finland is 550 euros.

Screen: 15,6" HD (1366 x 768) LED

Processor: Intel core i7-4500U 1,8 GHz

Memory: 8 Gt (2 x 4 Gb) DDR3 1600 MHz, max.16 Gb

Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Many thanks for your help :)

P.s. Would looking for a computer with a dedicated graphics card be worthwhile or does it really not matter for FM?

Just looking at the sites of the bigger electronics shops like Gigantti and Verkkokauppa. My budget is 600 euros max and this is about the only i7 processor with 8Gb RAM I can find for that price. I don't know much about the difference between all these processors nowadays, but I've been told the i7 one are supposed to be pretty good. If I should be looking for something else I'd love to hear it though... :)

I know that much at least :D But this was about as good as I could find based for this price when looking at the processors on this CPU Benchmark site. All the i5 processors had lower clockspeed (that's what they call Ghz, right?) than this i7 processor. But if anyone is able to find me something better either from a Dutch or Finnish source I would be delighted.

What do you think I could run on the laptop I described above though? I'm not looking to run a huge amount of leagues, but 15-20 at reasonable speed would be nice. Or has FM changed so much from FM11 that something like that won't be possible on a machine like this?

Once again - what sites are you looking on yourself? I'm not up to speed with the Finnish laptop market, surprisingly.

Clockspeed is part of it - but i3 are dual core processors and don't have hyperthreading (mostly), i5 processors are dual core and they do hyperthread (mostly), and i7 are quad core with hyperthreading (mostly), there are i7 that have 6 or 8 cores and have hyperthreading.

Clock speed is not all it's clocked up to be.

But unless you're blowing your wad on your new computer - then you can take a base frequency clock speed as a guiding point to the ideal processor, then make sure it has enough RAM, and if 3D matches is important to you ensure the gpu/video card is something you're happy with.

In the end - it all comes down to money and where you shop.

Thanks for the reply :) But unfortunately those laptops aren't available on any German sites and tbh, I've never heard of the Cube Chameleon brand before. Are they reputable?

Additionally, I've found this Lenovo laptop on one of the sites I use...

https://www.otto.de/p/lenovo-notebook-ideapad-g50-70-notebook-59419321-434586871/#variationId=434586873

Thoughts? (Not sure how good your German is :D)

Ok - my first time shopping in German - easy enough to figure out though

These should be better

https://www.otto.de/p/medion-notebook-akoya-e7227-md98868-459633541/#variationId=459633542

https://www.otto.de/p/medion-notebook-akoya-e7227-md98867-457816413/#variationId=457816414

Although - I don't know how reputable Medion are.

Choice is yours.

Is there an english version of that website?

Unfortunately not, no. Only caters to the German/Swiss/Austrian market.

Although if you've got the time to have a browse, I could translate the keywords that you'd need in the search function. Alternatively, you could tell me what specs I need and I could have a browse myself :)

EDIT - Just seen your last post :D Thanks for the advice, much appreicated :)

Once again - what sites are you looking on yourself? I'm not up to speed with the Finnish laptop market, surprisingly.

I didn't realise you actually search for people on sites that they post here. That's pretty damn nice of you :)

I just found this price comparison website that has many search options. Here's the link that will take you directly to the search screen for laptops: http://hintaseuranta.fi/osasto/kannettavat-tietokoneet/26312

Everything is in Finnish, but I think you don't need to understand the headers to know what to look for really. The green button next to a particular laptop with 'Katso Halvin' means view cheapest' and the button under that with 'Katso Kaikki' means 'view all'. And on the top of the screen 'järjestä' means 'order by' with 'alin hinta' meaning lowest price and 'ylin hinta' meaning highest price.

And here is another Finnish site that actually has an English version, quite a rarity... http://www.multitronic.fi/ Never heard of this company, but if they have good laptops for a good price I can have a look at it.

If you find the time to have a look and possibly find better alternatives for under 600 euros I'd be very grateful. But I understand if you have better things to do of course.

EDIT: I found this laptop on the above mentioned price comparison site myself for about 550 euros: Lenovo Essential B5400 MB82FMX (Core i5-4200M, 4 GB, 500 GB, 15,6", Win 8 LINK: http://hintaseuranta.fi/tuote/lenovo-essential-b5400-mb82fmx-core-i5-4200m-4-gb-500-gb-156-win-8-kannettava-tietokone/2069061

Would you say that processor is significantly better than that of the laptop I previously mentioned? It does only come with 4Gb of RAM though...

Ok i think i'm gonna pull the trigger on the Cube Chameleon, is there absolutely nothing better for that price? (£700) and also is it worth paying the extra £50 for the 17 inch version? i've never gamed on a laptop, i think i'd prefer the 17 though. What size do you all prefer?

Hi,

I'm still running FM14 on this bad boy I purchased in 2006.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheap-Internet-Compaq-NC6320-laptop/dp/B00BXEQM3G

Now finding Level 1 - 8 English with Gibraltar Div 1 and 2 very hard going (three matches took me 1h 30 minutes last night); how much of a step up is FM15?

I'm thinking of skipping this year and putting my hand in my pocket for new laptop before FM16. Before I rule out FM15, how much more intensive is it on a processor?

Cheers, this is a wonderful thread. Keep up the good work!

well my new laptop arrived. its my first laptop so getting used to it especially not being able to scroll unless you can and don't know how. having a problem with internet today, connection keeps dropping and that was before the laptop. not sure why. it is over wifi. although at the bottom the bars were full and not showing any problems. was hoping to play fm but not possible if I can't get onto the steam website.

@Eugene Tyson

I've tried to take your previous messages into account and learn a thing or two and I think I have found a laptop that has better specs than the previous ones I posted and offers pretty good value for money (at least for Finnish standards) at 650 euros (about 500 pounds). What do you think?:

Asus 15.6" X550JK-XO057H, i5-4200H, GeForce 850M 2GB, 6GB, 500GB, Windows 8.1

http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/X550JK-XO057H

EDIT: I've just heard that I could also get the laptop below with a pretty substantial discount (normally 700 euros, now 525).

Intel Core i5-4288U 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris Graphics 5100

http://www.gigantti.fi/product/tietokoneet/kannettavat-tietokoneet/HP15P182NO/hp-pavilion-15-p182no-15-6-kannettava-hopea

It would save me over a hundred euros, but the graphics card is probably not quite up to the level of the first one. But then I'm not intending to play any other games than FM on it really.

Just wanted to thank you Eugene for the help - I appreciate what you've done for everyone, and you've taught me something about laptops the past few pages.

Ended up getting the Lenovo G710 - looks absolutely fantastic. Really pleased, i5 processor with 8gb RAM so should deal with the game fairly decent!

Once again, thanks Eugene.

Just wanted to thank you Eugene for the help - I appreciate what you've done for everyone, and you've taught me something about laptops the past few pages.

Ended up getting the Lenovo G710 - looks absolutely fantastic. Really pleased, i5 processor with 8gb RAM so should deal with the game fairly decent!

Got that myself. Came yesterday. Watched a game on fm to see how it run and even though it says 2 and half stars for 3d graphics capabilities it run pretty good, also put it on high quality. Not tried it very high though.

found this one at argos Acer ES1-512 15.6 Inch Intel Celeron 8GB 1TB Laptop

these are the specs.

•2.16GHz processor speed.

•8GB RAM.

•1000GB SATA hard drive.

•Microsoft Windows 8.1Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system.

Display features:

•15.6 inch screen.

•High definition display.

•Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

•DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

•IntelDDR3L SDRAM graphics card.

•Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

•SD media card reader.

•Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick (MS), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.

•2 USB 2.0 ports.

•1 USB 3.0 port.

•1 Ethernet port.

•1 HDMI port.

•Bluetooth.

•Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

•Built-in mic.

i only play the english leagues with a large database with players from top european divsions and about 5 leagues on view only giving me a database of 60k and i only want to play as one team in a long career save would this be good enough

what is a good processor speed for a laptop

Depends on how many leagues you want to run.

1.7ghz would run 1 league perfectly fine.

If you're looking to run all the leagues then pour all the money into a fantastic processor.

It all depends on what you want to run.

Ok after reading more into it i'm definitly going to pass on the U processor one. Thinking of this now http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16GD11-1408-MSI-CX61-2PF-1408UK_1699913.html , i just wonder if i can get better for the money.

That's a very nice machine.

@Eugene Tyson

I've tried to take your previous messages into account and learn a thing or two and I think I have found a laptop that has better specs than the previous ones I posted and offers pretty good value for money (at least for Finnish standards) at 650 euros (about 500 pounds). What do you think?:

Asus 15.6" X550JK-XO057H, i5-4200H, GeForce 850M 2GB, 6GB, 500GB, Windows 8.1

http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/X550JK-XO057H

EDIT: I've just heard that I could also get the laptop below with a pretty substantial discount (normally 700 euros, now 525).

Intel Core i5-4288U 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris Graphics 5100

http://www.gigantti.fi/product/tietokoneet/kannettavat-tietokoneet/HP15P182NO/hp-pavilion-15-p182no-15-6-kannettava-hopea

It would save me over a hundred euros, but the graphics card is probably not quite up to the level of the first one. But then I'm not intending to play any other games than FM on it really.

I'd go with the ASUS as it has a decent graphics card.

Although it's close between the two.

Hi,

can anyone tell me would this laptop be good enough to run FM 2015??

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-11-n083sa-touchscreen-2-in-1-red-10015306-pdt.html

the processor is ok but not sure as no graphics card and would the built in graphics suffice?? cheers

It's not great - but I don't think you'd get much better for that price.

You're welcome!

It's an excellent machine.

Got that myself. Came yesterday. Watched a game on fm to see how it run and even though it says 2 and half stars for 3d graphics capabilities it run pretty good, also put it on high quality. Not tried it very high though.
Is it normal for laptops to have a duller screen when they're not plugged into mains and fully charged? just mine is a lot brighter when i plugged charger in.

Found out in power saving that it was on low.

The in star game ratings are flawed - have been for years.

Yep - laptops have different settings to save on power when it's plugged in or not plugged in - changeable in the control panel.

Yeah battery life on mine isnt great. charged it up at 8.55 this morning and its at 27% at the moment.

Yeh larger more powerful laptops tend to use more power, and the bigger the screen the more power it will use.

Probably has a 6 cell battery and not a 9 cell battery. Again there's different battery types like NiMh, NiCad and LiIon - all which have advantages and disadvantages.

You can look at your batter by removing the cover, it should be the label.

It might be possible to get a battery that's better - but you'd need to research it.

Thanks for the tips, Eugene! I hope I'll have a new laptop soonish. Probably going to be the HP one as it's more than a hundred euros cheaper. But I wouldn't have found that one without your advice. So thanks :)

Good luck.

Hope you don't mind, but I have two more questions for you Eugene.

- If all I'm looking to do with the laptop is play FM with a decent amount of leagues loaded, write stuff, browse the web and maybe watch some Netflix should I then be worried about the graphics card at all or would it be better to go for the best processor I can find within my budget?

- With the i5-4288U 2.6Ghz processor, approximately how many leagues would I realistically be able to run without everything slowing right down?

Many thanks again for your advice. It's been a real help.

Graphics card would only be for 3D graphics. If you are happy to play on low to medium detail then don't worry about a graphics card.

In terms of longevity - I'd go for a graphics card.

Actually that's the first U processor that looks halfway decent - so I'd have no hesitation saying it will be ok.

How many leagues it will run - as always - unknown - just have to try and test what suits you. But I'd go for 3-5 nations on full and maybe 4-6 non-playable with a medium database.

You could of course do add more or less and see how you get on.

All that on how many leagues is just guess work.

I'm a bit more of an old school player so I might even use the 2D view only for nostalgic reasons :) So yeah, graphics aren't too much of an issue then.

I haven't played FM after the ability to add and remove leagues was introduced. So assuming that system works well I think the amount of leagues you mentioned should be just fine to have a nice journeyman save.

Thanks again, it's great these forums have people like you willing to help out with this sort of thing. I'd like to think I've even learned a thing or two now :)

Hi Eugene,

I have read the last few pages of your fantastic help you have provided people. I am based in England and would like a machine that is mainly for playing FM on 3d mode. My current machine gives me a 2 star rating for graphics and I would like to increase this to at least 4 stars. Could you direct me in the way of a few good buys? My budget is around £400-£450 but I can be flexible on this.

Merry Christmas

It's a good looking laptop - from what I can find these two are slightly better

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/P27G-v2-CF1-Gigabyte-P27G-v2-CF1_1629235.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16GF11-609-MSI-GE60-2PF(Apache-Pro)-609UK_1718946.html

Up to you if wish to contact them - but I'd prefer the MSI model (2nd one).

No you absolutely right, the MSI one for the money seems like a better laptop. Gigabyte i read a few bad things about the sound, keyboard and touch pads. If i had seen the MSI one i'd have gone for it for sure, don't know how i missed it. Oh well it's done now and the Lenovo one has been despatched, just gonna have to bite the bullet on this one.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread btw, some invaluable information that helped me out big time. All the best and have a great Christmas and New Year everyone.

Yeh it's only slightly better - you'll have a right old time with your new computer! Best of luck with it, it's a beast!

Hi Eugene,

I have read the last few pages of your fantastic help you have provided people. I am based in England and would like a machine that is mainly for playing FM on 3d mode. My current machine gives me a 2 star rating for graphics and I would like to increase this to at least 4 stars. Could you direct me in the way of a few good buys? My budget is around £400-£450 but I can be flexible on this.

Merry Christmas

400-450 won't get you much I'm afraid.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59416543-Lenovo-G500_1657706.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/E9X99EAABU-HP-ProBook-450_1717261.html

Keep it on low-medium settings for graphics should be fine.

Eugene can I ask you a quick question as I don't really understand the benchmark sites I have visited?

I am purchasing a Macbook Pro but I don't know which processor to get.

There is a 2.6 ghz i5 4278 u, a 2.8 ghz 4308u or a 3.0 ghz i7 4578u.

I know what you said about u processors but unfortunately they are my only options. What sort of difference in performance, if any, would I notice? I'm looking to run 21 leagues from 7 countries.

Thanks for your advice.

Archived