New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at buying a laptop, primarily for FM16. Would be playing in 3D (although happy to reduce the graphics settings) and ideally quite a lot of leagues across a number of countries.

Looking at this model: http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/asus-zenbook-ux305fa-13.3-fhd-ultrabook/UX305FA-FC076H

Anyone have advice on whether this would be suitable?

I purchased a Lenovo Y700 for under 1000 Euros three weeks ago.

Running every league and every nation, almost 170,000 players and it runs fantastically. 3-D match quality is also superb.

I was going to go with the Surface Pro 4 but could not justify the huge expense.

Which processor is that running?

Looking for some advice regarding a new laptop - along with hundreds of other people as well!!

Want to spend £600-£700, run 3D ME and a good number of leagues with a large database..............I prefer long term saves so will be realistic on game size.

I appreciate this is a popular price point but I also know how quickly the market moves - I'll be willing to wait for the X-Mas/New Year sales for the right machine.

Thanks in advance...........

Agreed. Good little FM cruncher there. Me, I would immediately swap the hybrid drive for a proper SSD, but ... that's me. I would also be curious about what type of screen sits in it. If it's a TN screen, I would probably pass.

I'm someone who would like to have leagues from about 6-8 nations. I'm not bothered about the graphics as I've always played FM using the classic 2D view. I'd also like to add that apart from FM and a bit of internet browsing I don't use a laptop for anything else so storage space isn't an issue.

I've seen this, any good? (No link available as private sale)

HP Elitebook 2570p

INTEL CORE i5-3360M @2.80GHz (Max turbo 3.5 GHz)

8GB RAM

HDD 320GB

1600 MHz / PC3-12800

Intel HD Graphics 4000

1366 x 768 ( HD )

Hi guys sorry if wrong forum but need some advice.

Ok, so my laptop according to a couple of sites isn't compatible for FM2016 but they also say that its not compatible with FM2015. However I currently run FM2015 from it. I'm not very technical and just need some advice before buying the game. Just checked back as far as FM2009 and it also says not compatible??

Toshiba

Intel® Celeron® CPU N2820 @ 2.13GHz 2.13 GHz

4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Many Thanks

ChAnCeR

I`d like to be able to play FM16 with full graphics on without it being choppy on my PC. this is my system.

Intel Quad core Q6600 2.40ghz

Ram 4Gb

H/D samsung 300GB

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512

M/B Asus P5k3 Deluxe

windows 10 64bit

What would i need to make fm16 run like i want it to?

I`d like to be able to play FM16 with full graphics on without it being choppy on my PC. this is my system.

Intel Quad core Q6600 2.40ghz

Ram 4Gb

H/D samsung 300GB

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512

M/B Asus P5k3 Deluxe

windows 10 64bit

What would i need to make fm16 run like i want it to?

Not a lot. Your system is showing it's age, you may find - if you're lucky - a slightly better graphics card in the second hand market, but ... it'll probably not be worth it. You need a more modern pc. If the FM graphics is choppy for you now, they will in all likelihood remain so even if you find a bit more powerful graphics card from that generation that will fit. Which is what ... 8 - 10 years ago?

Doubling the size of the RAM will help you cope better with larger FM data bases (players and leagues), but will not help with the graphics.

Not a lot. Your system is showing it's age, you may find - if you're lucky - a slightly better graphics card in the second hand market, but ... it'll probably not be worth it. You need a more modern pc. If the FM graphics is choppy for you now, they will in all likelihood remain so even if you find a bit more powerful graphics card from that generation. Which is what ... 8 - 10 years ago?

Its about 7 years old. It's certainly lasted a while. Was playing games with high settings for 5 years although it did cost just under a 1000 including monitor. Definitely not gonna be paying that if I get a new one.

Without knowing what the capabilities of your power supply is, I'd say the best card that you can hope to fit would probably be a Nvidia 9800 GTX. And that will be more powerful than the 8800 GTS ... but enough to get rid of the choppiness? Hmm ... maybe, maybe not. And buying second hand cards that old is a gamble. You would be lucky to find a new (unused) one for reasonable money.

Without knowing what the capabilities of your power supply is, I'd say the best card that you can hope to fit would probably be a Nvidia 9800 GTX. And that will be more powerful than the 8800 GTS ... but enough to get rid of the choppiness? Hmm ... maybe, maybe not. And buying second hand cards that old is a gamble. You would be lucky to find a new (unused) one for reasonable money.

PSU is 650W.

Hi there, I'm looking to get a new laptop to play FM16 on primarily. Have seen the links for the following laptops posted previously:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5840-745MP-Cube-Chameleon-CZ-5840_1858924.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J312-078-MSI-GP62-2QD%28Leopard%29-078UK_1837451.html

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-pavilion-gamer-15-ak004na-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gefo-p0g82ea/version.asp

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/7559-8045-Dell-Inspiron-15-7000_1856981.html

Normally I load up around 4-5 nations with a large database, generally watch the 3D aspect in extended highlights as opposed to the full match-if that makes a difference. Wanted to know if these would be the best options for a budget of £700 (max)? If there are others around any advice would be welcome & also if the more knowledgable could tell me which would be the better choice that would be great.

Cheers in advance,

Oli

would this system be good enough?

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad Core (Socket 1150 ) £143

Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard £49

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM £61

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Graphics Card £157

WD Green Desktop 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive £41

CiT Invader Red Gaming Black Midi Tower Case £17

total 468

That's great thanks for the response, in 2 minds about whether to just order it now or wait til the sales start. Been a while since I last bought a laptop so not sure what kind of discounts will actually be available.

I would suggest waiting till January maybe, but don't get into a cycle of continually waiting, as prices always fall and rise as new tech comes out.. but considering we're so close to Jan.. i'd wait just in case.

would this system be good enough?

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad Core (Socket 1150 ) £143

Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard £49

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM £61

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Graphics Card £157

WD Green Desktop 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive £41

CiT Invader Red Gaming Black Midi Tower Case £17

total 468

More than good enough... decent cpu, although not amazingly future proof... budget ram, but ok speeds, decent graphics card...

And what do you need the pc to do? just FM really? or any other games?

What websites you want to order from?

At the moment its just FM. Having both PS4 and XB One. usually any games coming out i get for them. obviously FM is PC only. them what ive put up are from CCL which is where i usually get them from.

Actually, looking at that website, there's not a whole lot to change on it.. I'd save some money and downgrade the graphics card though if you can, no need for a 960 in there really.

there is this. http://www.cclonline.com/product/188414/GTX950-M-2GD5/Graphics-Cards/ASUS-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-950-ITX-2GB-Graphics-Card/VGA3184/

Might just upgrade it to just play FM and run a few leagues say 5. ive not played any other game on pc for a long time.

Great gippal, you're choices are limited with a 13.3 notebook really... and the 6500U is pretty much the best on the market for that size lappy...

but yeah, decent cpu.. just be weary of long term games and performance over a long period of time, it will put the low powered cpu under strain.

Hey Oli, of those posted, the Dell (last one listed) is the best and most capable for the money.. and honestly, I'm not sure I could find you a better spec machine for the price

It would do what you ask and a whole lot more.

Agree, that's a belting deal. I have abandoned my search for a 13-14" ultrabook and will now switch to 15". That's a cracking system, will keep my eye on that.

I do think that they've made a mistake with the graphics card though, it should be 2gb and not 4gb, so if you want to buy it, check with them first.

Great gippal, you're choices are limited with a 13.3 notebook really... and the 6500U is pretty much the best on the market for that size lappy...

but yeah, decent cpu.. just be weary of long term games and performance over a long period of time, it will put the low powered cpu under strain.

Thanks for the swift answer.

Yes I've noticed they generally lack compared to the 15" unless you pay a lot more for them.

Think I'll go for the zenbook UX303UB (non touch).

Archived