Southampton Reunited - win the Premier League with the players Saints have sold over the years

THE DATABASE FILE FOR THIS IS ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP – TITLED “SOUTHAMPTON REUNITED”

Ahh.  Another FM year is upon us.  Normally I tend to start unemployed at the bottom of the managerial ladder and work my way up but I thought I’d do something a little different this year.  Managing my favourite team, Southampton, is also not appealing given how s***e they have been for the last couple of years…  So I thought I’d try and create a little challenge scenario of my own – Win the Premier League (and more) with the best of the players Saints have sold over the years.

The challenge is to win the Premier League in your first season.  To extend the challenge you could then try and take the team further through the Champions League.  How you play is up to you, however I recommend the following (in order of importance):

• ·        Play 4-2-3-1 formation, which has been used by every Saints manager since 2010.  How you utilise this formation is up-to-you as most managers have used it quite differently, from Pochettino’s high press, to Puel’s dull counter to Pellegrino’s “let’s try to draw 0-0” approach
  • ·        Do not buy and sell any players 
  • ·        Use the stated 18 as much as possible. 
  • ·        Start as a Sunday League player with no coaching badges, unless of course you are an actual player and / or have coaching qualifications

In selecting the squad, each player must have played for Saints at least 10 times.  I have taken what I think is the strongest players still playing today.  This is obviously highly subjective but I’ve tried to be as fair as possible.  For each player I have taken from another club, I have traded the strongest player in the Southampton squad who is not also in the 18.  If the player is currently injured, or disliked by the club (see Dejan Lovren…), I have removed these entries in the editor. 

As you can imagine, this approach has strongly weakened one team in particular *snigger*.  Therefore this is also a great challenge for any Liverpool fans who are also sadists – try and win the league with some world class players, and the remaining Southampton players that weren’t worth buying!

Anyway, lets meet the team:

GK – Fraser Forster (no trade) – He’s had a shocking couple of years, but was a great GK before this therefore gets the no. 1 shirt here.  GK’s is the only position Saints have not sold any players in, unless you count Gazzaniga to Spurs, which given he was never first choice at Saints isn’t saying much

RB – Nathaniel Clyne (trade for Cedric) – The first of the Liverpool players to jump ship.  Not the biggest loss given he’s not first choice anymore and Cedric is a decent trade.  Was great for Saints though.

LB – Luke Shaw (trade for Matthew Target) – Clearly a player with massive talent.  Hopefully away from Mousulkio he can get back to the player we thought he could be at 17 years of age

CB – Virgil Van Dijk (trade for Jannik Vestergaard) - *CONTROVERSY ALERT* I actually don’t think Van Dijk is the best CB to play for Southampton in recent years, however it was gutting to lose him in such a fashion last year.  Not half as gutting as it will be for him to be back after 6 months though :lol:

CB – Toby Aldervierweld (trade for Wesley Hoedt) – Better than Van Dijk IMHO, but the two of them together should be formidable.  Hoedt has been pretty shocking for Saints so far, but is good in the game so not the worst trade for Spuds

MC – Morgan Schneiderlain (trade for Pierre-Emile Hojberg) – Good trade for Everton I think, in that Hojberg has tons of potential (that he’s starting to show this season).  However Schneiderlain was great for Saints, and hopefully his return will see him return to the player who was good enough to break into the France national team

MC – Victor Wanyama (trade for Oriel Romeu) – The player who when he’s motivated is the best defensive shield you could ever wish for.  In and out of the Spurs team, so I suspect they wouldn’t be too disappointed with the trade for Romeu here

AMR – Sadio Mane (trade for Mohamed Elyounoussi) – Absolutely terrifying player when the temperature is above 15 degrees.  Goes a bit off in Winter – however I’m hoping SI can’t program that into the game!

AML – Adam Lallana (trade for Nathan Redmond) – Was a great servant for Saints, but that is lost a bit in the manner of his departure.  Quite injury prone now as well, but keep him fit and he will be a huge asset

AMC – Gareth Bale (trade for Stuart Armstrong) – The big one!  Bale has finally realised his ambition of returning home to Saints!  Looking at Saints this season we appear not to have any AMCs, so Armstrong will have to do for Real Madrid (B (Reserves))

STC – Graziano Pelle (trade for Charlie Austin) – Great player for Saints and one of the few that left without any hard feelings!  It was a mistake to sell him though and will be great to have him back.  I was unsure whether to trade for Austin or Ings but settled on Austin because he has a higher transfer value in the game, and because Ings is still technically a Liverpool player

SUBS

Alex McCarthy (no trade) – Been very solid for Saints, and keeps his place in the 18.  With Angus Gunn as well Saints are well stocked on goalkeepers

Dejan Lovren (trade for Yoshida) – trading one of Saints most beloved players for one of its least beloved grates a little, but there’s no room for sentiment in my challenge!!

Ryan Bertrand (no trade) – Been a great player for us, and the fact he can play CB sweetens the deal

Mario Lemina (no trade) – Brilliant one game, absolute garbage the next.  He will be a good substitute for Wanyama in the team if needed ;)

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (trade for James Ward-Prowse) – I’m starting to feel a little mean now.  Liverpool didn’t even buy him from us and I’m taking him back!  Was a tough call between him and Tadic, and a bit of a wrench to lose Ward-Prowse, but maybe Liverpool can actually find a position for him (albeit most likely in the reserves!)

Theo Walcott (trade Soufione Boufal) – Aah Theo, what might have been.  Considered in the top 3 in his age group when he left Saints at 16, whilst he’s had a good career it’s been nothing like what was hoped for him.  Should have stayed with us a couple more years, but perhaps returning to Saints will lead to a late blossom in his career.  I’m really scrapping the barrel here for players to trade, but Boufal has been a very good player in previous years in FM, so hopefully won’t be too hard on Everton

Mannolo Gabbiadini (no trade) – Kept mainly because of his stats in game.  After a phenomenal start to his Saints career he has been anonymous ever since.  If only Rickie Lambert was still playing (and Matt Le Tiss!)

There you have it.  If you take on my challenge / database please let us know how you get on.  I have simulated one season to check you can get through to the end without huge histrionics.  Mark Hughes finished 5th – only missed out on 4th on goals scored! 

I’ll also update with how I get on.  If we get a few interested I’ll also set-up a Hall of Fame / Shame so your achievements will be forever preserved for future generations to admire!  Happy also to hear any comments or feedback – have fun!!

Archived