Lack of Communication regarding Network game bugs

First of all would like to congratulate the team on what appears to be largely a successful release and a great edition.

Now to the bad bit, throughout the last couple months I’ve been harping on about major network game bugs because they have been prevalent in the last 3 releases (at the very least). I understand that the network game is lower on the priority list compared to the bread and butter of the single player game. That’s fine. What I have a problem with is, you put out a beta for people to test and give feedback, people give you that feedback (the major bugs still exists) then you can’t be bothered to give us any feedback on whether the bug has or hasn’t been fixed on release of the full game? Due to the nature of the bug (I will post a link for anyone who cares) it’s not something that can be seen just by loading up the game, you actually have to put some investment into the save before seeing it, it also may or may not present itself at any given time. In my case I’m running an online save with 4 other people, were due to meet up tonight to start it, so I won’t be able to test if it’s fixed till then. Regardless, why is it so difficult for you guys to just tell us whether it’s fixed or not? We’ve been diligent enough to report the bug to you during beta testing, I just don’t understand why you can’t update us on whether it’s fixed or not on full release? In general you guys are extremely responsive so I feel this is a specific approach you’ve decided to go with for this particular issue - and I think it’s wrong. Even if you haven’t managed to fix it yet, that’s fine, just update us so we know.

TL:DR —> stop ignoring me :(

Thanks.

Vic

Network game scores, I can shed a bit of light on this from previous experience. Way back many moons ago, a mate deleted the 4-2-4 formation from his game files. This meant when the AI switched to it, you didn't see it and scores could end up differently. It can be worth checking the integrity of your game files to make sure there's no issues there. That being said there has been a long standing bug as well, which I'm sure I saw in patch notes indicate an attempted fix for such an issue has been implemented. 

So the answer to the first one is to play and see, if its still happening then get a new bug report submitted.

- - -

The latter is an issue I've encountered myself, and its annoying. On FMT at least you can use the full time whistle thing to simulate the rest of the match. 

Anyhow, it's going to be easier to avoid now I know what causes it (I was convinced it was the other player just not unpausing right). But the list of bug fixes is enormous, listing each bug fixed on the forums and replying to every thread about every bug would be too huge a job to get done in any kind of reasonable time frame. If fixing the bug was so simple though, there's good odds it wouldn't have happened in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Network game scores, I can shed a bit of light on this from previous experience. Way back many moons ago, a mate deleted the 4-2-4 formation from his game files. This meant when the AI switched to it, you didn't see it and scores could end up differently. It can be worth checking the integrity of your game files to make sure there's no issues there. That being said there has been a long standing bug as well, which I'm sure I saw in patch notes indicate an attempted fix for such an issue has been implemented. 

So the answer to the first one is to play and see, if its still happening then get a new bug report submitted.

- - -

The latter is an issue I've encountered myself, and its annoying. On FMT at least you can use the full time whistle thing to simulate the rest of the match. 

Anyhow, it's going to be easier to avoid now I know what causes it (I was convinced it was the other player just not unpausing right). But the list of bug fixes is enormous, listing each bug fixed on the forums and replying to every thread about every bug would be too huge a job to get done in any kind of reasonable time frame. If fixing the bug was so simple though, there's good odds it wouldn't have happened in the first place. 

First point - that's interesting, thanks for letting me know I'll keep an eye on that. 

Second point - what is it that causes it? From what I've read from last year it was apparently both humans making changes at the same time. We tried to monitor this going forward (last year) and it still did not work all the time.

I have no doubt there are a lot of bugs and I have no doubt that they are probably difficult to fix however I do feel these are major bugs - I mean the first one is game breaking. The second one as you said is extremely annoying. I think they deserve a mention.

Thanks for the response.

Thought I'd provide an update on this:

So far so good with the scores issues - thank you SI, not sure why you just couldn't announce it was fixed but nonetheless, thank you.

I've played 2 human vs human matches, the first one was quite smooth no issues, the second one froze at 70minutes. Thankfully, the match was pretty much over anyway. It seems this isn't fixed but tbh this is the bug that I sympathise with SI on because I imagine it could easily be a compatibility/connection issue.

I'm host on my online save, I run at about 130mbps DL speed and 90mbps UL speed. The others I'm not so sure of their internet speeds, I think one of them has super fast like me and the rest are somewhere in between 10-40mbps. The client specs differ quite a lot too. I am the only one using a mac, Macbook pro 2014 15inch i7. The guy who I played that crashed I suspect has an old windows laptop. Anyway these are the things it would be nice to have some guidance from SI on because the fix "don't make changes at the same time" is definitely not bulletproof.

I don't have any insight, it's happened only in one game so far in 10 seasons (including 2 on the beta) this year.

The only thing that happened there again is that when a player got a red card, the other player had already pressed their tactics button and were in the screen at the time the game normally would've taken them there anyway. It's been the only instance of it so there's not enough for me to be able to say this year as to what has been happening when I've experienced it.

37 minutes ago, santy001 said:

I don't have any insight, it's happened only in one game so far in 10 seasons (including 2 on the beta) this year.

The only thing that happened there again is that when a player got a red card, the other player had already pressed their tactics button and were in the screen at the time the game normally would've taken them there anyway. It's been the only instance of it so there's not enough for me to be able to say this year as to what has been happening when I've experienced it.

Thanks, I was more wondering if you or the other people you play with, run 3D and if you do, are you sure your graphics card is capable?

Good to hear it hasn’t happened much for you.

My PC is way above FM specs, processor is at 4.6ghz, r9 390 gpu. 

Arguably based on set-ups alone my network game would be an ideal candidate for bugs. An 8/9 year old mac laptop for one player, I'm on windows 10 - he plays 2D I play 3D etc. 

• Administrators

We've had some reports of freezing in matches and we are investigating. Testing network games is quite difficult given the vast number of system, anti-virus and network configurations, so it's always worth raising any issue in our network bugs forum so our team can investigate and try to help. 

EDIT: And as if to prove my point, santy points out it's cross-platform with a very wide difference of system :D 

50 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We've had some reports of freezing in matches and we are investigating. Testing network games is quite difficult given the vast number of system, anti-virus and network configurations, so it's always worth raising any issue in our network bugs forum so our team can investigate and try to help. 

EDIT: And as if to prove my point, santy points out it's cross-platform with a very wide difference of system :D 

Yeah I understand this, I think I've pointed that out many times to be honest. My only real grievance is the lack of communication. As such I'm left to conduct my own "investigation" and speak to the community myself. The only thing that has ever been communicated about this issue is "don't make changes at the same time" which turns out to not be a solution that works all the time (as well as a really annoying thing to have to consider).

51 minutes ago, santy001 said:

My PC is way above FM specs, processor is at 4.6ghz, r9 390 gpu. 

Arguably based on set-ups alone my network game would be an ideal candidate for bugs. An 8/9 year old mac laptop for one player, I'm on windows 10 - he plays 2D I play 3D etc. 

Thanks. Given he's playing on a 8-9 year old mac it's highly likely his system is underspec for 3D. I wonder if this could have something to do with it...

I'm the only one with a mac and I only crash with the old laptop boys so I suspect it isn't a mac-windows compatibility issue. The windows boys have also crashed whilst playing each other.

Archived