City population: it's useless?

I was reading about this topic and but couldn't find one single answer that says "yes, work it". Is the city population it's useful in the game?

IRL, in a large city a team would have a better chance of finding better talent than in a smaller city. It is not hard to notice: the number of players is much higher. In addition, clubs in large cities can get higher attendance rates (or could have a bigger fan base) than small city clubs.

(Of course, i know, these aren't the only considerations for have many talent youngs or a bigger fan base IRL)

Butttt, in FM... this work it?

I'm making a large edition, with more than 900 new cities, and I am interested to know if the population of the cities will be an important factor, or at least if it will matter a little or nothing to complete the information of 900 cities (it will take me, without doubts, many hours of work).

Ty

• Administrators

Definitely affects potential attendance increases. The larger and more wealthy an area the more chance you'll get fans turning out for games.

Not 100% sure in regards to youth but wouldn't surprise me if it worked like that. You'd probably be better off asking in the Research forum or Editors Hideaway or reach out to your HR. 

1 hour ago, joaquin87 said:

I was reading about this topic and but couldn't find one single answer that says "yes, work it". The city population it's useful in the game?

IRL, in a large city a team would have a better chance of finding better talent than in a smaller city. It is not hard to notice: the number of players is much higher. In addition, clubs in large cities can get higher attendance rates (or could have a bigger fan base) than small city clubs.

(Of course, i know, these aren't the only considerations for have many talent youngs or a bigger fan base IRL)

Butttt, in FM... this work it?

I'm making a large edition, with more than 900 new cities, and I am interested to know if the population of the cities will be an important factor, or at least if it will matter a little or nothing to complete the information of 900 cities (it will take me, without doubts, many hours of work).

Ty

It's not really that simple.  A large city will also likely have more than one team in it, which dilutes the talent pool.  Not in all cases, but it's a lot more nuanced.

36 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It's not really that simple.  A large city will also likely have more than one team in it, which dilutes the talent pool.  Not in all cases, but it's a lot more nuanced.

Yeah, Newcastle and Leeds will draw more talent than Brentford and Charlton.

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeah, Newcastle and Leeds will draw more talent than Brentford and Charlton.

Exactly.  And that's how it should be.  If you're in London, you'll stand a better chance against sides within London if you're bigger, but you'll also stand far less chance than a similarly big side that has less competition.

Archived