New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

36 minutes ago, darren1589 said:

Hi Mate, 

Ok last questions. The Asus one you recommended, it's processor says 2.2GHZ with boost to 4.1Ghz and the processor is an i7, however i had been looking at this one also and the processor seems to be just slightly higher but with an i5 processor, would that one be ok too do you think or would it not be as good as the i7 ? ? https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-omen-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182218-pdt.html

Thanks

The i7 is the better processor overall - however, the i5 would have similar performance to the i7 for FM - and FM only as FM is processor intensive and it has similar ratings in that regard.

That's why I say if you can stretch to the i7 I recommended it would be better overall. However, the other 3 I linked to would be good too and in your price range. And the 3 I linked to are similar to the one I linked to - only the one's I recommend are £100 cheaper. 

You can get whichever one you want, but if you go with my recommendation you would save money for the same thing.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

The i7 is the better processor overall - however, the i5 would have similar performance to the i7 for FM - and FM only as FM is processor intensive and it has similar ratings in that regard.

That's why I say if you can stretch to the i7 I recommended it would be better overall. However, the other 3 I linked to would be good too and in your price range. And the 3 I linked to are similar to the one I linked to - only the one's I recommend are £100 cheaper. 

You can get whichever one you want, but if you go with my recommendation you would save money for the same thing.

If i was to increase my budget to say £850, what do you think i could get that was again better than you recommended ? I want something that is most definitely going to last me for a good number of years to play FM with. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, darren1589 said:

If i was to increase my budget to say £850, what do you think i could get that was again better than you recommended ? I want something that is most definitely going to last me for a good number of years to play FM with. 

Thanks

At this point you're probably at your top end of specs in terms of budget, you'd need to crack past £1000 probably.

9 minutes ago, Smurf said:

At this point you're probably at your top end of specs in terms of budget, you'd need to crack past £1000 probably.

Ok mate no probs thanks very much ! 

So with the specs on the asus one you recommended this will run FM with no issues then do you think ? 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Scoured the website for these - which would be next leg up - and here's a chart of top processors already ranked
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

This one has a 7820HK - which sounds great - but not really 
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30023004-Medion-Erazer-X7853_2108927.html

Ranked 70 (compared to i7-8750H which is ranked 29)

This one has the 8850H - which is ranked  at 24 compraed to the 8750H)
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X5-v8-CF1-AORUS-X5-V8-CF1_2337695.html

This one has the 8950HK which is ranked no. 13
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/3VFF8-Alienware-15_2350439.html

As you can see - prices go up and up for different reasons. 

But you are getting a good processor in the i7 8750H without spending nearly double the money.
Or if you go for the i5 8300H you would have similar experience as the 8750H.

Hope that helps.

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Scoured the website for these - which would be next leg up - and here's a chart of top processors already ranked
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

This one has a 7820HK - which sounds great - but not really 
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30023004-Medion-Erazer-X7853_2108927.html

Ranked 70 (compared to i7-8750H which is ranked 29)

This one has the 8850H - which is ranked  at 24 compraed to the 8750H)
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X5-v8-CF1-AORUS-X5-V8-CF1_2337695.html

This one has the 8950HK which is ranked no. 13
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/3VFF8-Alienware-15_2350439.html

As you can see - prices go up and up for different reasons. 

But you are getting a good processor in the i7 8750H without spending nearly double the money.
Or if you go for the i5 8300H you would have similar experience as the 8750H.

Hope that helps.

Really appreciate that mate thanks very much ! 

21 minutes ago, darren1589 said:

Really appreciate that mate thanks very much ! 

Just to realise that a more expensive price doesn't automatically mean a better performance for what you need :) I fell into that trap once and it was a very costly mistake, and I just hope these posts and experiments in pricing really helps people understand.

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Just to realise that a more expensive price doesn't automatically mean a better performance for what you need :) I fell into that trap once and it was a very costly mistake, and I just hope these posts and experiments in pricing really helps people understand.

For people like me who do not have a clue then yes it helps massively. I just don't want to spend x amount on a laptop for it to be no good for FM in a years time or 2 editions time ! but what you have said all makes total sense and i will go with your recommendation

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Just out of curiosity, this is my old laptops specs, :

Intel(R)  Core (TM)  i7 -5500U   CPU @ 2.4GHZ 

Memory - 16GB 

It's a Lenovo laptop, i'm sure the last time i played FM on this the game was pretty slow but the specs look ok , what am i missing ?

Just out of curiosity, this is my old laptops specs, :

Intel(R)  Core (TM)  i7 -5500U   CPU @ 2.4GHZ 

Memory - 16GB 

It's a Lenovo laptop, i'm sure the last time i played FM on this the game was pretty slow but the specs look ok , what am i missing ?

1) It might not have a dedicated graphics card, which would slow things down.

2) That processor is a "U" type, meaning it's underpowered for low power laptops, and is only just over the minimum requirements for processor speed, and only has 2 cores, so FM is competing a lot more for processor power with Windows and any other software running on it.

12 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

1) It might not have a dedicated graphics card, which would slow things down.

2) That processor is a "U" type, meaning it's underpowered for low power laptops, and is only just over the minimum requirements for processor speed, and only has 2 cores, so FM is competing a lot more for processor power with Windows and any other software running on it.

Ok thanks for that mate, 

can i ask, when a processor says 2.2ghz/4.0 ghz what does that mean ?

Ok thanks for that mate, 

can i ask, when a processor says 2.2ghz/4.0 ghz what does that mean ?

It means at slowest it's 2.2ghz and at highest it's 4.0ghz, known as turbo boost/turo speed/max boost and a load of other things. That's known as the "clock speed" which is the speed the processor can execture a task. The higher the number the faster the processor is, but it also depends on the technology that determines how efficient it is. Take a 6th generation i7 processor - compared to it's i5 8th generation of a lower model number.  The 6th generation i7 processor coud have a base speed of 3.2ghz - where as the 8th generation i5 could have a 3.0ghz - but the 8th generation could be faster.

Basically you don't compare the processors base clock speed, unless they are the same, i.e., i3 compare to i3, i5 compare to i5 and i7 compare to i7 only.

When you seen the 2.2ghz/4.0ghz this refers to the turbo boost technology, which can automatically bosst the speed for heavy duty processing, which FM is reknowned for it, it's a database game, and a database needs to be processed. It means that this processor under heavy load can go up to 4.0ghz without overheating the processor. 

Now that's all well and good, but the processor type comes in many different flavours, U, H, HK, HQ, etc. 

It's with U processors they have a low Thermal Dynamic Power (TDP) which means to keep the computer running optimally, which means that under heavy processing tasks it will try to keep the GHZ to the lowest to stop it over heating. Which is why older processors such as the 7th generation U processors are unsuited to FM as they have a low TDP forcing the processor to work at lower speeds to lessen overheating.

36 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It means at slowest it's 2.2ghz and at highest it's 4.0ghz, known as turbo boost/turo speed/max boost and a load of other things. That's known as the "clock speed" which is the speed the processor can execture a task. The higher the number the faster the processor is, but it also depends on the technology that determines how efficient it is. Take a 6th generation i7 processor - compared to it's i5 8th generation of a lower model number.  The 6th generation i7 processor coud have a base speed of 3.2ghz - where as the 8th generation i5 could have a 3.0ghz - but the 8th generation could be faster.

Basically you don't compare the processors base clock speed, unless they are the same, i.e., i3 compare to i3, i5 compare to i5 and i7 compare to i7 only.

When you seen the 2.2ghz/4.0ghz this refers to the turbo boost technology, which can automatically bosst the speed for heavy duty processing, which FM is reknowned for it, it's a database game, and a database needs to be processed. It means that this processor under heavy load can go up to 4.0ghz without overheating the processor. 

Now that's all well and good, but the processor type comes in many different flavours, U, H, HK, HQ, etc. 

It's with U processors they have a low Thermal Dynamic Power (TDP) which means to keep the computer running optimally, which means that under heavy processing tasks it will try to keep the GHZ to the lowest to stop it over heating. Which is why older processors such as the 7th generation U processors are unsuited to FM as they have a low TDP forcing the processor to work at lower speeds to lessen overheating.

Thanks for that mate, 

So the one you recommended for me Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core (2.2GHz, 9MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 4.1GHz)

that;s a strong processor then for FM yea ?

2 hours ago, darren1589 said:

Thanks for that mate, 

So the one you recommended for me Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core (2.2GHz, 9MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 4.1GHz)

that;s a strong processor then for FM yea ?

Absolutely - but the i5-8300H is slightly less equally for football manager - it's just the i7 is overall better processor.

If you get me.

Going for the 8300H would save you a few quid, and roughly same performance in regards for FM.

20 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Absolutely - but the i5-8300H is slightly less equally for football manager - it's just the i7 is overall better processor.

If you get me.

Going for the 8300H would save you a few quid, and roughly same performance in regards for FM.

You might not know the answer to this question but i shall ask it anyway, with the specs on that laptop do you see that being able to process FM with no issues for at least the new few years ? Hopefully ?

20 minutes ago, darren1589 said:

You might not know the answer to this question but i shall ask it anyway, with the specs on that laptop do you see that being able to process FM with no issues for at least the new few years ? Hopefully ?

At the moment it's the latest in the line of processors, and it should be fine for FM for a few years, at a total guess. 

I don't expect SI to increase the specs of the game over a short period (1-5 years) as it would alienate a lot of users who are using older/slower systems, which is something they would be concious of avoiding. 

You'll basicaly have a processor released in mid-2018 - so it's about 1 year old now. 

You'll have a good graphics card capable of mid-range graphics for other games, but also high enough for FM to be in high detail. 

Overall - it's a system that should in thory last roughly 5-8 years.

Well, considering that until October last year I was playing FM on a nearly 7 year old previously top of the line 3rd generation i7 processor (the i7-3820) and it was running fine, I'd say that this one would likely be sorted for at least 5-8 years when it comes to FM at least.

4 hours ago, Paul Antono said:

Hey guys,

Ryzen 2500u 2,0ghz

Vega graphics

256ssd

4gb

The processing time between days for fm19 will be normal or slow with 2-3 leagues for database and medium graphics?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english,are bad i know.

It'll be slow, I think, as the processor is one that isn't designed for games and when put under substantial load (like with running FM), it'll reduce its speed to stay cool.

13 hours ago, Paul Antono said:

Hey guys,

Ryzen 2500u 2,0ghz

4gb

8 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It'll be slow, I think, as the processor is one that isn't designed for games and when put under substantial load (like with running FM), it'll reduce its speed to stay cool.

I agree with Jordan, this particular processor has a configurable TDP of 10 - 25 watts - so it might be possible to tweak this up to the highest to get a bit more performance from it. 

All in all, it's below the 2.2ghz set by the games minimum spec, and I wouldn't expect it to perform amazingly due to the throttling that the TDP would introudce. 

TDP is the thermal design power - which means, when it gets hot, it is designed to shift into a lower speed by reducing the power to avoid the chip getting too hot. And this typically happens over heavy loads which you would expect to see from FM. 

Also - it only has 4gb RAM, most 64 bit systems are more demanding these days, the OS requires 2gb RAM from the start (as it's a 64 bit system) That would only leave 2gb for all the other bits and bobs going on in the computer, internet browser, antivirus, steam, FM, etc. 

8gb would be the min these days.

Can you let us know your budget?

Edited by Smurf

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

I agree with Jordan, this particular processor has a configurable TDP of 10 - 25 watts - so it might be possible to tweak this up to the highest to get a bit more performance from it. 

All in all, it's below the 2.2ghz set by the games minimum spec, and I wouldn't expect it to perform amazingly due to the throttling that the TDP would introudce. 

TDP is the thermal design power - which means, when it gets hot, it is designed to shift into a lower speed by reducing the power to avoid the chip getting too hot. And this typically happens over heavy loads which you would expect to see from FM. 

Also - it only has 4gb RAM, most 64 bit systems are more demanding these days, the OS requires 2gb RAM from the start (as it's a 64 bit system) That would only leave 2gb for all the other bits and bobs going on in the computer, internet browser, antivirus, steam, FM, etc. 

8gb would be the min these days.

Can you let us know your budget?

My budget is around 500euro.

5 minutes ago, Paul Antono said:

My budget is around 500euro.

Well I don't mean to be harsh but that won't get you much. 

What country are you buying in? Any online store you prefer - I can take a look for you.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well I don't mean to be harsh but that won't get you much. 

What country are you buying in? Any online store you prefer - I can take a look for you.

I'm from greece.

Some online store are e-shop.gr and skroutz.gr,if you can look there.

Thanks for help.

any opinions on i5-9600k vs ryzen 5 2600x ?

i only play a few games like world of warcraft and football manager.

i currently run 25 nations / 29 leagues with 8 on "all competitive matches" detail level.

I currently have a 2500k @ stock speeds. Do you think a 2600x would be much of an upgrade?

btw I did have a look at the benchmarks people posted for older versions, but there weren't any 2600x on there.

Edited by ajt

Hi All

Out of the below processors, which one would be best for FM?

1) i7 7700HQ

2) i7 8750H

I thought the 7700HQ was considered the best, but the recent comments on i7 8750H have made me wonder

Many thanks

Edited by Connor

On 01/03/2019 at 13:27, Paul Antono said:

I'm from greece.

Some online store are e-shop.gr and skroutz.gr,if you can look there.

Thanks for help.

Would this be out of reach?

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/16676165/Dell-Inspiron-3576-i5-8250U-8GB-1TB-W10.html

On 03/03/2019 at 04:44, ajt said:

any opinions on i5-9600k vs ryzen 5 2600x ?

i only play a few games like world of warcraft and football manager.

i currently run 25 nations / 29 leagues with 8 on "all competitive matches" detail level.

I currently have a 2500k @ stock speeds. Do you think a 2600x would be much of an upgrade?

btw I did have a look at the benchmarks people posted for older versions, but there weren't any 2600x on there.

The 9600k is better - but nothing wrong with the 2600x either. Both very good. 

48 minutes ago, Connor said:

Hi All

Out of the below processors, which one would be best for FM?

1) i7 7700HQ

2) i7 8750H

I thought the 7700HQ was considered the best, but the recent comments on i7 8750H have made me wonder

Many thanks

The 8750h is a newer generation. 

This chart shows the i7 8750h vs i7 7700hq vs i5 8300h

The highlighted part for single thread rating is probably most important for FM - as you can see roughly the same performance.

But, overall the 8750h (big red writing) is better.

1301902687_ScreenShot2019-03-04at11_47_12.thumb.png.9ca0a97956abb926c3336c16e6e7bac8.png

15 minutes ago, NickThomas said:

Would either of these suffice? I’m not looking to load a massive database, I’d rather the game run smoothly more than anything:-

https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/laptops-and-notebooks/0007867348

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P252485P?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JLh-a_o4AIVT5PtCh3r1wjdEAAYASAAEgLUFvD_BwE&

Thanks

Any of these take your fancy? 

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/N242331W?from=category

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/N241481W?from=category

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/N241974W?from=category

17 minutes ago, NickThomas said:

They do now 😛

Which one would you recommend? They’re all within my budget

They are all roughly the same - bar battery life when not plugged in.

39 minutes ago, Smurf said:

They are all roughly the same - bar battery life when not plugged in.

Awesome. I’m liking the look of the first one to be honest. One more question, how long will these likely last me in FM years? I don’t want to be buying another one as soon as next years edition rolls out. If they’d last me 2-3 editions then great :) 

14 minutes ago, NickThomas said:

Awesome. I’m liking the look of the first one to be honest. One more question, how long will these likely last me in FM years? I don’t want to be buying another one as soon as next years edition rolls out. If they’d last me 2-3 editions then great :) 

It's impossible to say, but technically it should last at least 2-3 editions of the game  if not more. But there is no way of telling what is going to be in the next edition of FM, let alone in the next 2-3 years - but I doubt the specs will jump too much.

If there's anyway you can stretch your budget even more you could get even more out of it.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

It's impossible to say, but technically it should last at least 2-3 editions of the game  if not more. But there is no way of telling what is going to be in the next edition of FM, let alone in the next 2-3 years - but I doubt the specs will jump too much.

If there's anyway you can stretch your budget even more you could get even more out of it.

Yeah I can’t imagine there being anything major in terms of spec upgrades either tbh. 

Cool thanks for your help :) 

I know not ideal but to minimise overheating, would a integrated UHD graphics card, such as the UHD 620, last a few years versions, on lower settings?

As literally FM is the only game I play every year

Edited by Connor

24 minutes ago, Connor said:

I know not ideal but to minimise overheating, would a integrated UHD graphics card, such as the UHD 620, last a few years versions, on lower settings?

As literally FM is the only game I play every year

It shouldn't have too much bearing on overheating. The integrated graphics cards are only suited to low detail settings anyway. 

If you want to play on higher detail levels you will need to invest in a graphics card. 

As for overheating, it's not likely to be anything to with the integrated graphics card.

Hi Smurf

I have had laptops with dedicated graphics (NVidia MX150) and these have caused laptops to run extremely hot 90 degrees Celcius +, coupled with the quad core i7 8550u processor. (this is a known issue apparently)

So my post was trying to explore whether if I got a integrated GPU such as a Intel UHD 620, whether a) if this would likely be ok for a few future versions of FM and b) if it might help with the laptop not running as hot

1 hour ago, Connor said:

Hi Smurf

I have had laptops with dedicated graphics (NVidia MX150) and these have caused laptops to run extremely hot 90 degrees Celcius +, coupled with the quad core i7 8550u processor. (this is a known issue apparently)

So my post was trying to explore whether if I got a integrated GPU such as a Intel UHD 620, whether a) if this would likely be ok for a few future versions of FM and b) if it might help with the laptop not running as hot

Yes - bad coupling can cause issues. But begs the question, what processor are you going for?

I am really open to suggestions on processor. The ones I have not been happy with were all 13 inch so maybe I would get better cooling from a 15 inch?

best for FM while being in a unit that is as portable as possible,but whilst also being the coolest to the touch, would be the ideal

Have a budget of 1500 quid

16 hours ago, Connor said:

I am really open to suggestions on processor. The ones I have not been happy with were all 13 inch so maybe I would get better cooling from a 15 inch?

best for FM while being in a unit that is as portable as possible,but whilst also being the coolest to the touch, would be the ideal

Have a budget of 1500 quid

So what the issue really is that the GPU you had was too weak for the processor - and this causes massive bottlenecking in the system. 

There's other factors at play, like hard drive, ram type and amount etc. all play a part in bottlenecking. 

In regards to processor - I would recommend the i5-8300H as a low cost - and paired with 8gb RAM DDR4 - M2. SSD - 1050 4gb TI it would be fine for FM.

Optimally though I'd go with i5-8300H - 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR4 - and M2.SSD

That would run FM really well .

According to this fun thing - https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

Hi Smurf

After taking a look at laptop with an i5 8300h last night, it appears I am seriously limited to options with a 1050ti or 1060, as per your suggestions.

In fact the only one I could see at my price point, would be the HP Pavillion which apparently has heat/temp issues anyway.

Do you think I would be wise to take a look at a straight 1050, to see if that gives me more options?

Edited by Connor

48 minutes ago, Connor said:

Hi Smurf

After taking a look at laptop with an i5 8300h last night, it appears I am seriously limited to options with a 1050ti or 1060, as per your suggestions.

In fact the only one I could see at my price point, would be the HP Pavillion which apparently has heat/temp issues anyway.

Do you think I would be wise to take a look at a straight 1050, to see if that gives me more options?

What do you mean by the part in bold?

Edited by Smurf

You previously suggested (due to bootlenecking) that I should couple a i5 8300h with a 1050ti graphics card, as options are limited could I couple the i5 8300h with a 1050 graphics card? (not ti version?) 

3 minutes ago, Connor said:

You previously suggested (due to bootlenecking) that I should couple a i5 8300h with a 1050ti graphics card, as options are limited could I couple the i5 8300h with a 1050 graphics card? (not ti version?) 

There might be some bottlenecking, as per the website I pointed to earlier. But for FM it should be fine. 

Certainly no ill reports on here from others who bought similar rigs. I presume, had there been an issue with anything recommended in here, then it would be flagged and brought to the attention of the forum that it's not suitable. In all my years doing this, nobody has ever mentioned an issue, and I've pointed to the i5 8300h and 1050 before and nobody has suggested it wasn't good for what they needed.

Hi @Smurf

I'm looking at this one. I'm aiming to run as large a database as possible (within reason obviously). 

https://www.box.co.uk/FX705GM-EW019T-ASUS-FX705GM-EW019T-Thin-Bezel-Gaming-La_2400047.html

Not worried about graphics too much as I'm used to playing in 2D due to poor laptops in the past but it would be nice to experience decent 3d graphics.

What are your thoughts? Budget is £1k.

@alanfishead That laptop is a steal at that price. Go buy it while you still can. It has everything you want: a great CPU - you can load a very large database and still have a smooth experience and also a great GPU for FM and many AAA games. GTX 1060 is still a very capable card for 1080p gaming. You will be able to run the game in 3d on highest settings no problem. Somewhere down the line I would recommend adding an extra stick of 8GB DDR4 as it will increase the potential of the laptop quite a lot and help FM quite a bit.

P.S And let's not forget about an M.2 SSD of 128 GB which can host the OS and Football Manager as well which means extreme responsivness if you are like me when you play FM (ALT-TAB) a lot :)

Edited by SebastianRO

16 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@alanfishead That laptop is a steal at that price. Go buy it while you still can. It has everything you want: a great CPU - you can load a very large database and still have a smooth experience and also a great GPU for FM and many AAA games. GTX 1060 is still a very capable card for 1080p gaming. You will be able to run the game in 3d on highest settings no problem. Somewhere down the line I would recommend adding an extra stick of 8GB DDR4 as it will increase the potential of the laptop quite a lot and help FM quite a bit.

P.S And let's not forget about an M.2 SSD of 128 GB which can host the OS and Football Manager as well which means extreme responsivness if you are like me when you play FM (ALT-TAB) a lot :)

Thanks @SebastianRO

Will definitely get it ordered.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff and was wondering whether it's better to compromise on memory or processor.

1 minute ago, alanfishead said:

Thanks @SebastianRO

Will definitely get it ordered.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff and was wondering whether it's better to compromise on memory or processor.

With 8GB DDR4 you are not really compromising. It's still a decent ammount of RAM. Yes, a 2nd stick of 8GB would make a big difference in some scenarios (FM included) because this game specifically (as others) benefit a lot from fast memory (and dual channel). Your memory is fast enough, but it's not running in dual channel until you add the 2nd stick obviously. But trust me, overall, that is one very very good machine. For comparison's sake, my laptop is a Lenovo Legion Y520 with a core i5 7300HQ, 8GB DDR4 and a GTX 1050 Ti, so it's weaker than the one you want to buy. Even so, I can load about 6-7 leagues in very high detail and the game runs like butter. Keep in mind that i7 8750H is much better than my i5 7300HQ.

On my actual PC, I have a Ryzen 5 2600 which is just a 20% better than the i7 8750h and I can play 15 leagues easily (I just don't do it since I don't really do journeyman). I provided this information just so you understand how good that laptop is for FM. Whenever you have extra cash to spare, get an aditional stick of memory and then you will have that laptop unlocked to the full potential. Good luck.

16 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

With 8GB DDR4 you are not really compromising. It's still a decent ammount of RAM. Yes, a 2nd stick of 8GB would make a big difference in some scenarios (FM included) because this game specifically (as others) benefit a lot from fast memory (and dual channel). Your memory is fast enough, but it's not running in dual channel until you add the 2nd stick obviously. But trust me, overall, that is one very very good machine. For comparison's sake, my laptop is a Lenovo Legion Y520 with a core i5 7300HQ, 8GB DDR4 and a GTX 1050 Ti, so it's weaker than the one you want to buy. Even so, I can load about 6-7 leagues in very high detail and the game runs like butter. Keep in mind that i7 8750H is much better than my i5 7300HQ.

On my actual PC, I have a Ryzen 5 2600 which is just a 20% better than the i7 8750h and I can play 15 leagues easily (I just don't do it since I don't really do journeyman). I provided this information just so you understand how good that laptop is for FM. Whenever you have extra cash to spare, get an aditional stick of memory and then you will have that laptop unlocked to the full potential. Good luck.

Thanks man. Appreciate the input. 

In your opinion, what would be the maximum number of nations/leagues do you think I could load without seeing a major drop off in performance?

@alanfishead

I can't say for sure, but ... a lot of leagues. I will show you a screenshot in my game (FM17) that I am playing. FM19 is consuming resources just the same, so there is virtually no difference between 17 and 19 in this regard.

As you can see, it's 50.000 players and quite a few leagues. This is on my PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 OC 4.2 GHz ---- 16GB DDR4 @3200 MHz ----- GTX 1660 Ti.

20190307203147_1.jpg

Edited by SebastianRO

1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

@alanfishead

I can't say for sure, but ... a lot of leagues. I will show you a screenshot in my game (FM17) that I am playing. FM19 is consuming resources just the same, so there is virtually no difference between 17 and 19 in this regard.

As you can see, it's 50.000 players and quite a few leagues. This is on my PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 OC 4.2 GHz ---- 16GB DDR4 @3200 MHz ----- GTX 1660 Ti.

20190307203147_1.jpg

Awesome. Thanks mate.