Project: conceded goal analysis

19 minutes ago, BadanieLuck said:

True, but then again you would set up your team in a way where "match-up" situations would happen less and how you would deal with it would be great to read. Nonetheless one of the best reads on here in months.

Have you thought about moving your FBs forward to the WB position? For some goals (e.g. 7th goal) you pointed out they didn't close clown the opposition winger and rather regroup with the back four. You could still use them as CWB but that way they might be closer to the opposition wingers, put more pressure on them and it's more likely to trigger the closing down.

Yeah that goal is really interesting! My first instinct would be to adjust the "defensive width" to try and get him to engage higher and wider... but I doubt that'd solve it. The LWB already has "press higher" and "mark tighter" as PIs, so my take is that they are programmed (much like strikers) to just sprint to a fixed position when a transition happens, ignoring their PIs. If that's the case, and if that goal keeps happening... I'd consider moving it up to WB. Which would of course bring its own issues;) The crux of that goal is Blind being asked to Ronaldo though.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 07:27, pauly15 said:

An “attribute issue”, as I’ve defined it, relates to a player being asked (or forced) to do something they are poor at. A young centre-back asked to play a role where he’ll have to win aerial battles; a wing-back with poor dribbling asked to carry the ball up the wing… these types of situations cost 9 of the 19 goals conceded.

Amongst many things this caught my eye.  It's often said on here that players have to fir the system but does this suggest the system must fit the players?  How do we account say for a no-nonsense defender in a short passing setup?  Has the player got to go or the short passing style ripped up?  Interested in your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Robson 07 said:

Amongst many things this caught my eye.  It's often said on here that players have to fir the system but does this suggest the system must fit the players?  How do we account say for a no-nonsense defender in a short passing setup?  Has the player got to go or the short passing style ripped up?  Interested in your thoughts.

I think it depends on your budget! 

If you can't bring in players to suit a tactic, then you have to make a tactic to get the best out of the players. Asking players to play a role or system they're not capable of is going to cause a world of hurt. There are probably bugged systems out there that take advantage of an ME issue, in which case it wouldn't matter if they don't really suit it that much. But if you're playing a proper football formation / style then yeah, you have to match the system to what you have available. Which is how it should be:)

Archived