FM09: The Official SPL Thread – Breaking the Old Firm Dominance

Welcome to the Scottish Premier League Guide

Football Manager 2009

SPLlogo.gif

Inspired by LincolnCanary’s excellent English Championship thread, I thought I’d create one for the Scottish Premier League. I’ll not be including The Ugly Sisters aka The Gruesome Twosome aka The Old Firm. They have their own threads and they can stick to them. No offence. They don’t really want to be part of the Scottish League so I’m sure they’ll not mind anyway.

The Opening Post will be updated in the next few days and once the full version of the game is up-and-running. The intention will be to give some tips on Star Players, Potential Stars, and Areas for Improvement for each of the sides.

Hopefully we can produce some excellent debate, get some good recommendations for some great SPL level players, as well as have some decent discussion on tactics, accomplishments and the challenges that face an SPL-level manager.

SPL Background

The Scottish Premier League, currently known as the Clydesdale Bank Premier League for sponsorship reasons and often known as the Premier League or SPL is a professional league competition for football clubs located at the top level of the Scottish football league system — above the Scottish Football League.

During the course of a season, which runs from August until May, each club plays the others at least three times, either once at home and twice away or vice-versa. After this first phase of matches, by which time all clubs will have played 33 games, the league splits into a 'top six' and a 'bottom six'. Each club then plays a further five matches against the other five teams in their own section.

Points achieved during the first phase of 33 matches are carried forward to the second phase, but the teams will compete only within their own sections during the second phase. After the first phase has been completed, clubs cannot move outwith their own section in the league, even if they achieve more or fewer points than a higher or lower ranked team, respectively.

SPL in Football Manager 2009

For FM09, the SPL offers one of the greatest challenges in football – can you break the Old Firm’s duopoly and take a so-called “provincial” club to Championship Glory? This is a huge task as the Old Firm clubs have more resources than the rest of the clubs put together.

However, in spite of the pitiful transfer budgets it can be done. An added complication will come if you’re doing well – as in real-life the Old Firm will then come a-sniffing round your players, tempt them with a highly paid seat on the bench, and then complain that they get no competition and blame that for their exit from Europe before the League Season has begun.

That aside, hopefully with the help of the other SPL managers on the Forum you will be able to break their dominance with your club.

SPL – The Teams

Aberdeen

Media Prediction – 3rd

Board Expectation – European Qualification through league finish

Transfer Budget – £150k

Wage Budget – £39.5k

Star Players – Zander Diamond, Lee Miller, Charlie Mulgrew

The Dons are tipped to get third, but that’s a tough proposition with the players at your disposal. You will need to be shrewd in the transfer market if you are going to live up to the high expectations.

Dundee United

Media Prediction – 5th

Transfer Budget – £150k

Wage Budget – £37k

Star Players – Morgaro Gomis, Lee Wilkie, Lukasz Zaluska

The board is expecting Euro Qualification, but the media are predicting that you narrowly miss out. United are strong at the back, with Wilkie and Dodds in the centre. Keeping a hold of stars like Gomis will be crucial to your chances.

Falkirk

Media Prediction – 8th

Board Expectation – Mid-table Finish

Transfer Budget – £0

Wage Budget – £31k

Star Players – Darren Barr, Paddy Cregg, Neil McCann

With no transfer budget on offer it will be hard to improve your squad. However, Falkirk has some real quality – Barr and Arfield appearing to be the standouts - and may be forced to raise funds by selling off a couple of star men.

Hamilton

Media Prediction – 11th

Board Expectation – Stay Clear of Relegation

Transfer Budget – £10k

Wage Budget – £15.25k

Star Players – Alex Neil, James McArthur, Richard Offiong

SPL newcomers, Hamilton are blessed with some of the finest young players in the league and look to be strong in midfield. However, they are still learning at this level and may do well to stay clear of relegation this season. James McCarthy is a future star and can bring you £1m+

Hearts

Media Prediction – 7th

Board Expectation – Mid-table Finish

Transfer Budget – £100k

Wage Budget – £57k

Star Players – Christophe Berra, Laryea Kingston, Michael Stewart

With the resources at your disposal you should easily outgun the media and board expectations. You should be aiming for UEFA Qualification and if you make this clear to the board this they will give you a greater budget. Matej Rapnik and Gary Glen are the 2 highest potential youth players in Scotland.

Hibernian

Media Prediction – 6th

Transfer Budget – £200k

Wage Budget – £39k

Star Players – Derek Riordan, Steven Fletcher, Chris Hogg

The Hibees are blessed with the biggest transfer budget in the league, and also have two very talented strikers in Riordan and Fletcher. The media prediction of 6th looks woefully understated, I would expect Hibs to be challenging for a comfortable 3rd or 4th

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Media Prediction – 9th

Transfer Budget – £80k

Wage Budget – £19k

Star Players – Don Cowie, Ian Black

The ICT board will be delighted if you are still in the SPL next season, but you should probably set your sites on a top-six finish. With some tactical wizardry you may even eek out a UEFA spot.

Kilmarnock

Media Prediction – 12th

Transfer Budget – £20k

Wage Budget – £28k

Star Players – Alan Combe, Craig Bryson, Mehdi Tahouil

Look to be a difficult proposition, with meager transfer and wage budgets. Tipped to go down by the media, but Killie may have enough attacking flair to avoid that fate.

Motherwell

Media Prediction – 4th

Transfer Budget – £50k

Wage Budget – £33.5k

Star Players – Keith Lasley, Chris Porter, David Clarkson

UEFA Qualifiers last season, the Well board are expecting more of the same. You will have a lot of interest in players like Mark Reynolds, can you hold on to them and live up to the hype?

St Mirren

Media Prediction – 10th

Transfer Budget – £200k

Wage Budget – £33k

Star Players – Andy Dorman, Will Haining, Gary Mason

The Buddies have a surprisingly high transfer budget, and you will need to spend it wisely if you are going to see off relegation. They would be my tip for relegation, and any manager who takes the Love Street hot-seat will do well to secure SPL football for another season.

SPL Transfer Targets

The list of players below will hopefully give you some help as you look to improve your squad. With a shortage of transfer funding, you will find the youth of the English Premiership to be an important source of loan signings. You may also be tempted to look further afield and look at some potential non-EU signing targets.

British Players – Transfer

Player Name (Club) – Position - Estimated Fee £xxxk

British Players – Loan

Player Name (Club) – Position

Jason Brown (Blackburn) - GK

Non-EU Players – Transfer

Player Name (Club) – Position - Estimated Fee £xxxk

10th in the League

Midway October.

Hibs manager.

Am i Mixu in disguise?

"Hibees boss Meeko seems reluctant to consider changing his 4-3-3 approach and unwillingness could spell for trouble if the teams form does not improve."

Players in:

Fabio - Man Utd - Loan

Simon Ferry - Celtic - Loan

Brian McLean - Motherwell - 180k

Luisma - Racing - 190k

Pluchino Galuppo Pierre - Caracas - 4k

Mascio - Cisco - 30k

Binya - Benfica - 190k

Rodrigo Possebon - Man Utd - Loan

Carlos Tordoya - Bolivar - 375k

Out:

Gordon Marshall

Fillip Morais

Joe Keenan

Callum Booth

Sean Welsh

Ewan Moyes

Jordan Cropley

Ross Chisolm

David Wotherspoon

Blair Tolmie

Ross Campbell

bunch of youths etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
think i might start a Hamilton season, will be good to see how such good young players progress and if can in a few seasons build a side that can start to really make an impact in SPL!

I signed Mcarthy for 600k in the Jan window. 1st season as Hibs and he's been terrible <6 rating every game. Sold Ian Murray to get him and another reserve and have left myself short in MF with 0 recognised CMs :( Stupid I know.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the best out of him?

The board have said the fans think his signing was abbhorent(sp). He's getting punted in the summer unless someone can give me some good feedback! Only 4 games left in the season. 3rd on the same points as Hearts with them in my next game and no chance of 2nd.

finished my first season with hamilton, after being bottom at christmas with no wins! and only 3 points, i brought in a few players and let at a few leave, finished season 11th, 9 wins and 6 draws in second half of season, was enough to keep me up.

i found similar problems with mcarthy, despite being so highly rated ect, he never really broke into my first team and i ended up playing weaker players ahead of him yet they were more effective. However, plan to really test him out 2nd season, as have brought in some good players so wont be scrapping around so much at foot of the table... hopefully.

Anyone won the Scottish premiership with a non old firm club in the frst year?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have set myself a challenge to try and bring the glory home for Hibs, wish me luck

No sirree, not I.

Rangers seem to be so-so, but Celtic are picking up 100 points a season.

I’ve played a couple of new starts with Aberdeen, best I’ve made is 3rd.

hi, im manageing hibs, in my 4th season doing well. i got mcarthy and he is awesome but Derek Riordan is pants, he got punted by me first season signed for falkirk and still only scored 3 goals for them haha.

imo,

look at bohemians, the regens are usually brilliant i bought dwight nurse for 130 next season sold him to newcastle for 11 mill and 250k for 50 games.

i have split the league finished each season 2nd, won scottish cup two times (if only this was real life) :rolleyes:

try and get dyrl murphy on loan from sunderland, also buy quavis kirk from dc united he will grow into a superb player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am Inverness at the moment got 1.5million to spend need a striker

I too have just started as Inverness, im on latest weegie therefor having no DON COWIE and a budget of 80k but probs can get it upto 350k with selling some unwanted players. Who should i loook at?

i started a season with inverness ct who are predicted to finish 9th by the media and had a transfer budget of £80k. i sold a few younger players and a couple of poor 1st team players and brought in ulises de la cruz and steve marlet on free transfers and dave barron from st mirren for £100k. i sold don cowie half way through the season and ended up finishing 4th behing rangers, celtic and hearts. started the new season today and have the lowest expectation of qualifying for europe through the league position and have signed players like freddie ljungberg and others on frees. hopefully willbe able to complete the season without any hiccups and qualify for europe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished season one with Hibs. In the first season i loaned in players to cover my LB and GK positions. Season two i am finding quite a bit of difficulty. I have a 1 Mill Pounds transfer fee and looking to fill these positions. Any recommendations- Loan or Purchase?

Thanks

Just finished season one with Hibs. In the first season i loaned in players to cover my LB and GK positions. Season two i am finding quite a bit of difficulty. I have a 1 Mill Pounds transfer fee and looking to fill these positions. Any recommendations- Loan or Purchase?

Thanks

Agenor? Eros Corradini?

For the LB slot look at; Ramon from Internacional.

• 2 weeks later...

started with rangers but hearts took Mcoist as manager mid way through first season. every years since they've split the old firm and been playing in champ league. they still have no money or just won't spend it, but seem to be going from strength to strength

• 2 weeks later...

Started my Hibernian save.

Sold Rankin - 150k

Loan to Buy - Johansson (55k upfront)

Which has gave me more freedom in wages.

Brought in:

Edgar Davids - Free Agent

Offered Contract to Gerard (Free Agent)

Looking to bring in a new Left Mid and Left Back

Archived