[FM19] Odd Times in Scandinavia

Scottie

Lagbilde-Lyn-1998.jpg

LYN 1896 FOTBALLKLUBB

soT8i4E.jpg

I've decided to start off in the lower leagues of Norway, replacing the manager at Lyn Fotball in Norway's 2. division (which, according to Wikipedia, is  referred to as PostNord-ligaen for sponsorship reasons). Lyn was promoted from 3. division in the 2018 season, but a rough run of form has seen them safely ensconced in bottom half of the PostNord-liga.

I've taken over with just one match remaining in the 2019 season, with Lyn competing in Group 2 of 2 in PostNord-ligaen. My first match in charge - and the final match of the season - is against bottom placed Fana, who have already secured their relegation. Surely as good an opportunity as ever to test out the team.

RnrWqUg.png

:thdn: 

THE CLUB

Lyn-logo.jpg

I'm attracted to Lyn due to its history - originally founded in 1896, FK Lyn (a department of SFK Lyn - a sports club with a dedicated Nordic skiing team) enjoyed significant success in the '60s and '70s, winning the top division title in 1964 and 1968 and coming runner up in 1963, 1965 and 1971. 

As recently as 2006-07, FK Lyn was involved in the UEFA Cup (losing in the first qualifying round to an Estonian side), before SFK Lyn's professional football department was bankrupted in 2010. Accordingly to Wikipedia, fans turned their attention to the amateur department which has incredibly been promoted from Norway's 6. divisjon to now sit in Norway's third flight.

2jd7EgC.png

c4On74M.png

THE MANAGER

Stutterheim_SS17_Stockholm_Yellow_MALE_1

New manager Odd Carlsen is a 37-year old Oslo native, living in the trendy Grünerløkka district - a short ten minute cycle from Lyn's stadium, Bislett.

Think, svelte Scandinavian dad in a fashionable yellow rainjacket.

NCc2LkF.jpg

Eh, close enough.  

2020 2. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

PRE-SEASON

I'm not usually a fan of making sweeping changes to a squad upon arrival, but my hand was forced with a large number of first teamers leaving the club due to their contracts expiring or being sent back to their parent club.  As a result, this was the state of my first team at the start of the transfer window:

c6ERMAU.png

I was subsequently forced to release Faisal Dahir by mutual consent, as his poor attitude was causing significant troubles in the dressing room. Dahir made 127 appearances and scored 11 goals during two stints at Lyn, spanning 2010-14 and 2018-20.

The side's key players at the start of the window were the Canadian goalkeeper David Paulmin, winger Eirik Haugstad and 28-year old full-back Anders Lübeck.

N6nlV2E.png FmQJ0eA.png FmQJ0eA.png

I set about adding some quality to the team, and on balance ultimately improved our overall squad. In addition to signing one of last year's loanees on a free transfer, the biggest pickups were former Hønefoss and Sarpsborg defender Alexander Groven (Free), former Eliteserien centre back Ole Heieren Hansen (Free), and Mjøndalen midfielder Mads Gundersen (NOK 16,000) who last year made 15 Eliteserien appearances in total.

pX9bBVQ.png 5gXFkHJ.png 91NkO9t.png

Our pre-season form was pretty impressive, as we matched a series of higher division Norwegian and Swedish clubs (albeit all were playing significantly understrength sides). New signing Ole Erik Midtskogen was the star performer in pre-season, with four goals in four starts:

DFBxvtm.png

Overall, the media gives us a reasonable chance of being promoted:

vKaWT5C.png

APRIL 2020

HEzqiZi.png

All in all, a tough start to the season as my personal stretch without a league win stretches to four games. We realistically should have taken home the biscuits in my first game in charge - rushing to a 3-0 lead early against Byåsen before edging ahead 4-2 in the third minute of injury time. Incredibly, they scored twice in the fifth and sixth minutes of stoppage time to rescue a point.

WoYQzEZ.png

Things looked up as we took a comfortable 3-1 win in the Norwegian Cup against Bærum, with last season's top goalscorer Jonas-Alexander Bakken scoring twice. It was downhill from there as we only took a point away at Raufoss before failing to capitalise on 59% possession and an extra six scoring shots at home to Moss FK. Early on in the season, we sit in 10th.

VxKj5Vy.png

To round out the month, we met local rivals Vålerenga in round two action in Norgesmesterskapet. In the first Battle of Oslo (Kampen om Oslo) since 2014, Vålerenga smashed us 4-0.

Player of the Month: 26-year old winger Eirik Haugstad made a solid start to his season, starting in all three league games and both matches in Norgesmesterskapet. He's scored two all up and created another two, to end the month with an average rating of 7.18.

On 16/11/2018 at 21:50, Crispypaul said:

Good luck - I won the Champions League with Lyn on FM18 doing the European Challenge so like the club.

Thanks! I hadn't realised the club's history before I started, which is an added bonus. The 17,000 seat stadium looks mighty empty with 500 fans in attendance, though... 

21 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Best of luck, Norway is a great place for FM. 

Thank you - I was hoping to start in the third division which is unfortunately not possible, but I'm enjoying it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

MAJ 2020

EXMNG69.png

Overall, a much better set of results this month after a difficult start to the 2020 season.

We opened the month hosting Asker, who had had an indifferent start to the season. We went up 2-0 before half time through goals to captain Anders Lübeck and winger Erik Haugstad, only to watch as Asker stormed home in the second half to clinch a winner in the 86th minute.

1HwiOkH.png

After a 0-0 draw at Fram Larvik, we repeated the collapse away to fierce local rivals Stabæk 2 (albeit their second team) - going up 2-0 within seven minutes, only for Stabæk to hit back immediately and equalise by the 30th minute.

9ykmtPt.png

In my seventh league game in charge, we finally picked up a victory against Odd 2 through first half goals to attacking midfielder Adil Zahid and last year's leading goal-scorer Jonas-Alexander Bakken. It wasn't easy though; Zahid was sent off just after half time, and we could only watch as Odd piled on the pressure. We followed that up with an eventful come-from-behind win over Elverum - scoring in the 88th and 94th minutes to steal a 2-0 win.

62z0HOF.png

Things are looking more respectable more than a quarter of the way through the season, although we sit just outside that top half and wonder what might have been given our tendency to throw points away. We have winnable matches in June against Lørenskog and Bærum, before more difficult fixtures against Verdal and Ullern.

Player of the Month: New signing Simen Vedvik put together a string of good performances this month, scoring twice (including the decisive goal against Elverum) as well as creating one more.

JUNI 2020

dEz9Z6m.png

Oh dear :( . Not the month we were after.

There was real disappointment in the defeat at Lørenskog - despite going down 3-0 within 23 minutes, we managed to claw back two late goals through free transfer signing (and former loanee) Filip Johansen Westgaard. We missed a penalty in each of the first and second halves, too, so a real missed opportunity.

WHaRAr5.png

Things are a little bit uncomfortable just before the half-way break in the season. We sit just three points clear of relegation, and now nine points behind of a promotion spot. We face Byåsen and Alta before the break.

Player of the Month: Adil Zahid - now into his fourth season at the club, Zahid produced a good month of football and continues to be one of the best performed players this season. He scored against Ullern, and also created goals against Lørenskog and Bærum, coming into his own as a mezzala.

JULI 2020

1CsVOas.png

Very nearly a perfect end to the first half of the season - we took a comfortable 3-1 win over bottom placed Byåsen, and at the 83 minute mark looked good for three points against Alta after Ole Erik Midtskogen (a former first division striker) finally scored his first goal for the club in his 13th appearance. Unfortunately, we had a player sent off in the 72nd minute for a bad challenge, and could only watch as young striker Christopher Østbø scored his sixth goal of the season to level the scores.

b0Xd71C.png

Half way into the season, we sit three points out of the top half. It hasn't been ideal, but it is a reasonable platform for the second half of the year and the team is looking more settled.

nEpFE7f.png

As you can see, not a lot of high performers. Midfielder Adil Zahid has been the pick so far this year, closely followed by striker Jonas-Alexander Bakken.

Is there an automatic promotion place and a play-off spot these days? I'm now playing at the same level in Norway but on an older version, and I just have a single promotion spot per group, with 4 different groups across the third tier.

4 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Is there an automatic promotion place and a play-off spot these days? I'm now playing at the same level in Norway but on an older version, and I just have a single promotion spot per group, with 4 different groups across the third tier.

Yep - there are only two groups in the third tier. The winners of each group are promoted, while the runners up play each other for a spot in the First Division/Second Division play-off.  It looks like this changed in 2017, as before that four teams were relegated from 1. divisjon (now only 2 or 3).

MID-YEAR TRANSFER WINDOW - JULI/AUGUST 2020

Not too many changes this transfer window, with one player joining on a free transfer from Elverum and two others joining on loan.

vuQvSvr.png

Mjøndalen signing Tor Inge Polden was the first player to join on loan, to provide much-needed competition for an underperforming back two. He's made 11 appearances this season for Mjøndalen 2, but will be looking for an opportunity to play league football.

2oxSQ5h.png

Norwegian-born Thai international Bam Hide joins on loan for the remainder of the season to bolster our central midfield stocks. The Sarpsborg player has made 4 Eliteserien appearances in his career (including one start), but will be hoping for first team football.

fOKIDXd.png

My one actual signing is winger Lars Klaveness, who has already made seven 2. divisjon appearances this season for Elverum. He won't be first choice, but at just 19 has the potential to improve and become a first team player.

AUGUST 2020

ELhukVv.png

Another month, another two games where we throw away an early lead. We were lucky to steal a point at home to Raufoss, thanks to a late goal from substitute striker Jonas-Aleksander Bakken who continues to be the most consistent scoring threat. We then picked up a much-needed three points against bottom placed Fram Larvik, before being played off the park at Moss who stored three times in the first half hour and stormed to the top of the table.

Our tricky run continued away at Asker and at home to Stabæk 2, and although we'll be happy enough not to have lost either match it would have been nice to pick up one victory.

z94s5gY.png

With seven games to play in the short Norwegian season, we are losing touch with the top half despite some reasonable performances. September will be a big month, with matches against Odd 2, Elverum, Lørenskog and Bærum all giving us opportunities to make up some ground.

Player of the Month: Jonas-Aleksander Bakken. He's no world beater, but Bakken continues to score key goals playing alone up front with three goals in September taking his season tally in the league.

7 hours ago, Scottie said:

Yep - there are only two groups in the third tier. The winners of each group are promoted, while the runners up play each other for a spot in the First Division/Second Division play-off.  It looks like this changed in 2017, as before that four teams were relegated from 1. divisjon (now only 2 or 3).

Interesting. Sounds an improvement on four going down from a 16 team second tier though. That always seemed harsh to me.

SEPTEMBER 2020

hZCmIUH.png

Argh! What could have been.

We started off tremendously against fifth placed Odd 2, scoring twice at home to take a 2-1 win. The pick of the goals came from left back Oskar Hansen, who scored his first league goal of the year with a tremendous free kick.

Pyc25kv.gif

We then followed up with a dominant display against Lørenskog IF - the 4-1 win ultimately being just revenge for our loss earlier in the year, where we went three down inside the first half hour. Unfortunately, after moving into the top half with rare back-to-back wins, we stumbled in two very winnable contests - first only managing to salvage a very late draw at Sentalidrettspladsen and then suffering a shock 1-2 defeat away at 12th placed Bærum.

GnC69dc.png

With just three games left, we face an uphill battle to return to finish in the top half, but with some good results could finish as high as sixth. We only need a point to avoid relegation, but it looks unlikely that we'll be caught in that regard.

Player of the Month: Ole Erik Midtskogen - it has taken a while, but the former HamKam man finally came to the party with three goals in September. He's been a consistent creative force up front or on the wings, and has cemented his place in the starting XI after a rough start to his Lyn career.

OKTOBER 2020

j2RtrrB.png

An important final month got underway in the worst possible way, as we conceded a goal in the second minute at home to Verdal IL. Thankfully, we got lucky with an own goal to level the scores, and the players came out firing in the second half after being roasted by me at the break. The team added four in the second half to romp to a 5-2 win, with loanee Tor Polden scoring his first goal for the club and the usual suspects Ole Erik MidtskogenHenrik Lehne Olsen and Adil Zahid all contributing.

m7p19Rs.png

After the excitement of the match against Verdal, things were a bit more drab at home to Alta as we were held to a 0-0 draw. The result essentially ended Alta's slim hopes of winning the title, but in reality it was a match we should have won. We also handed a professional debut to Jens Haug who has been absolutely banging goals in for fun in the U19 Championship this year. He's no world beater, but there is some promise.

4aBha2I.png

pyNlyId.png

The season ended on a sourer note, as we were completely outplayed away at Ullern. A second half goal to Jonas-Aleksander Bakken gave us some hope, but in the end it wasn't enough to get us a point or, unfortunately, to finish in the top half (i.e. in line with the Board's expectations).

xpnPCEi.png

The league ultimately came down to Asker and Moss in a thrilling final matchday. Asker's Senagalese forward Papa Sow broke Moss hearts with his 86th minute winner against Alta handing Asker the title, being his 24th goal of the season. It's just Asker's second season in 1. divisjon, having previously competed for the first and only time in 2011. Moss will look to return for the first time since 2010, but face a tricky play-off against the 2. divisjon, Group 2 runners up and then, if they win that, a 1. divisjon team.

Lyn-logo.jpg

2020 2. DIVISJON, AVDELING 1 - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

2. divisjon, avdeling 1 A patchy season all up - we looked a much better side in the second half of the year, but were still unable to string multiple wins together (our best winning streak was only two). This was mostly due to our terrible away form - at home, we had the third best record in the league, but away we were consistently unable to get points. Throwing away winning positions early in the year hurt.

Norgesmesterskapet - We started strongly with a 3-1 win over Bærum, but never stood a chance away at Vålerenga. I look forward to the day (potentially far off in the future...) where we can crush our rivals.

Squad - I didn't rotate the squad heavily, and instead preferred to stick with broadly the same team for a lot of the year. There is still some deadwood and trouble-makers to manage out, but the bones are there.

Key players:

Henrik Lehne Olsen - The fans' player of the season went about his business quietly and scored six goals in the process from central midfield. He needs to work on his temperament, as he saw red twice this season. This was his third season at Bislett, and he definitely looked assured.

Adil Zahid - There was a while where I was concerned about losing Zahid, but he eventually got over his concerns with my team talks and signed a new deal. Zahid produced some important performances throughout the year, and handled himself well when forced to play in attacking midfield for much of the end of the year due to injuries.

Eirik Haugstad - Haugstad's third year at Lyn was his best, as he proved a creative asset on the right with six goals and four assists. He is very good athletically, but clearly has limitations in terms of his technique.

Jonas-Aleksander Bakken - His end to the year wasn't as strong, but Bakken was still the club's leading goalscorer with 10 league goals. He's a limited player but takes his chances when he gets them.

David Paulmin - The 24-year old Canadian goalkeeper faced an uphill battle at times with a leaky defence, but played every league game and kept four clean sheets in the process. Made a number of crucial saves. 

Up-and-comers:

Rune Nygaard - The 17-year old made 20 league appearances (including 11 starts) but largely struggled, in part due to the stretches of the year where I didn't play a central attacking midfielder. I expect to continue to get Eliteserien offers for Nygaard's services, but hopefully he will continue to be happy to stay at Bislett and become an important contributer.

Jens Haug - The youngster made two league appearances late in the year, after his form in the U19 championship demanded selection. He scored 33 for the U19 team from 23 starts, and will hope for more senior appearances in 2021.

Best XI - 2020

vqm3mJr.jpg

UFndSWG.png

Season      League                       Position     Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      9th          
2020        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      9th          

• 4 weeks later...

Lyn-logo.jpg

2021 2. DIVISJON, AVDELING 1 - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

2. divisjon, avdeling 1 -  By far our best season to date, we missed out on a promotion play-off spot on goal difference as we failed to take more than a point off Mjøndalen on the final match day. Things look very promising for next season, as we lagged in 8th after the first half of the season before being the third best performed team in the second half of the year to go within a whisker of promotion reckoning. Our problem was, again, away from home - we won just four away games and that was never going to be enough to really challenge.

Norgesmesterskapet - We were very lucky to escape with a 4-3 win over Grorud in the first round, but it all came to an end in the second round against top flight side IK Start.

Squad - I gave more opportunities to the squad - particularly some of the younger players - and ended up with better results all told. There are still some changes I'd like to make, and some of the older guard will need to make way.

Transfers - I made some decent free transfers and loan signings, that contributed to our success. The best signing was Tobias Ødegård, who joined on a free after a season at Lørenskog and made 23 starts at centre back. Mathias Aadnøy left on a free after two seasons at the club (and only six appearances).

Key players:

Adil Zahid - The player of the season, Zahid went from strength to strength with a dominant season from central midfield. I fear he will head for greener pastures next season, with leading 1. divisjon sides vying for his signature.

Ole Erik Midtskogen - After a slow start in 2020, Ole Erik has entrenched himself as a leading 2. divisjon striker with ten goals. He's not a perfect striker by any means, but he has scored a series of important goals and is easily the first choice striker.

Anders Lübeck - The captain produced another solid season at the back, with his 22 appearances at centre back and right back. He's a good strong leader, and will aim to lead the side to promotion in 2022.

Simen Vedvik - The 24-year old's second year at the club built on a solid first year, as the winger scored six and created two in a good season. He will continue to grow.

Bam Hide - The Thai international joined for his second season on loan at the club, and managed to earn a consistent spot in the first team. He will join permanently on a free transfer next season.

Up-and-comers:

Rune Nygaard - Still our most promising young player, Nygaard received more first team action this year but has still not quite burst onto the scene as I'd like. He's not happy with his game time, and so I will have to work to rebuild his happiness or fear losing him for nothing.

Eirik Johannesen - The 25-year old joined from 3. divisjon side Vestfossen as back-up, but got given a chance in the middle of the year due to an injury to vice captain David Paulmin. He took his chances well, and conceded just four goals in ten appearances - keeping six clean sheets.

Best XI - 2021

jTeumzY.png

SXe3g4W.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2021        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      5th          

Lyn-logo.jpg

2022 2. DIVISJON, AVDELING 1 - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

2. divisjon, avdeling 1 -  We finally managed to secure promotion - and on the final day as well! The season was marked by incredibly tight defensive work, as we conceded just 20 goals across the 26 league games - our Canadian goal keeper keeping 13 clean sheets in 21 appearances. That defensive work allowed us to chase down Bærum in the final stages of the season - we didn't concede in our last six league games, which were capped off with a stunning 2-0 win over Fana on the final day. That win, along with Bærum's stunning 0-3 capitulation against Stabæk 2 allowed us to clinch the title and automatic promotion, avoiding a difficult play-off draw. 

iuvqkXZ.png

Norgesmesterskapet - A shocker this season - we crashed out in the first round against KFUM Oslo (also a 2. divisjon side) on penalties after a 0-0 draw following extra time.

Squad - The core of the squad stayed the same, but some shrewd signings managed to force their way into the starting XI - particularly in defence. We continued to give games to younger players, with some of the old hands (many of which were at the club before I joined) being phased out. The team will need significant improvement ahead of the next season, as I worry we don't have enough firepower to do much in 1. divisjon.

Transfers - No free transfers this season, but we made some good additions for nominal fees - e.g. the Thai international Bam Hide, who was signed for 390 kr (£35!!) and dominated in central midfield. Reigning player of the season Adil Zahid left to 1. divisjon side Kongsviger for a small fee, but only managed two appearances as Kongsviger won promotion to Eliteserien. I don't expect he'll win much game time there.

Key players:

Bam Hide - Joining for a nominal fee, Hide had a cracking season with eight goals and five PotM performances, and was rewarded with the Fans' Player of the Year award. His real value add was his ability to score key goals from free kicks, including the first goal in the final match of the season that helped us to promotion.  

Anders Lübeck - The 31-year old captain will next year return to 1. divisjon football for the first time since 2016 (when he played with KFUM Oslo), after leading the side to an unexpected promotion. Lübeck has proved to be invaluable in both the centre and at right back, as he makes few mistakes and leads the team well.

David Paulmin - The Canadian lost his spot in goals early in the season to Eirik Johannesen, but swiftly regained his spot as first choice 'keeper and never relinquished it. He formed a formidable combination with the back four, with his 13 clean sheets a division record.

Erling Berg Farstad - The 26-year old joined for 11,000 kr (£1,000) at the start of the season, and quickly established himself as an important cog of the back four. He made 21 starts and a further three appearances of the bench, and proved versatile enough to rotate between centre back, left back and even defensive midfield at a pinch. He made 30 league appearances for Grorud in 1. divisjon in 2020, and will provide important experience if Lyn are to stay up.

Up-and-comers:

Rune Nygaard - Finally the breakthrough season we were after from Nygaard, as he made the central attacking midfield position his own with five goals and three assists. Still under 20 years of age, Nygaard will hopefully rise to the level in 1. divisjon - our coaches still think he will one day be Eliteserien quality.

Jens Haug - The 20-year old came into the season with just four league appearances under his belt, but stormed out of the gate with a hat trick on the first match day against Skeid. He kept that scoring up early, and although he was ultimately phased out for Ole Erik Midtskogen, he is a promising footballer going forward. 

Best XI - 2022

SpEAsAU.png

AyZalzQ.png

2022        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      1st          Promoted as champions.          

1200px-Qatar_2022_bid_logo.svg.png

2022 FIFA WORLD CUP - QATAR

Elsewhere, the FIFA World Cup was held in December for the first time as the world converged in Qatar. The group stages went largely as expected, but it did see some surprises as Australia qualified for the second round ahead of Belgium, and minnows Curaçao snatched a point in a 0-0 draw against Japan.

There were some cracking knock out fixtures, including an all-Scandinavian showdown in the second round between Sweden and Denmark. Ultimately, Sweden stunned everyone to advance to the final following narrow wins over England and Germany, only to fall 2-1 to fellow Group D competitors Spain in the final.

GSPyAoL.png

Roma's Justin Kluivert and Tottenham's Cristian Pavón led the way on the score sheet with five goals, with three of Kluivert's goals coming in the knock out stages. But it was Manchester City's Leroy Sané who won the Golden Ball from Mainz's Ludwig Augustinsson and Pavón, with 21-year old Spaniard Isaac Martín winning Best Young Player. No Spaniards featured in the Dream Team (which was dominated by Swedes), but Rafa Benitez was named Manager of the Tournament.

41tB2Zy.png

Lyn-logo.jpg

2023 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

1. divisjon - It was a real baptism of fire, as we took seven matches to win our first game of the year and never managed to pull clear of the relegation scrap. We came into the final day need the same result or better than Asker - we just managed it, and a relegation play-off (which Asker went on to lose). Our dominant defence from last season struggled against the better attacks in the second flight, and we still struggled for goals as we continue to lack a consistent threat up front.

tz8bf5h.png

Norgesmesterskapet - Our best run yet in the Norwegian Cup, as we made it all the way to the final sixteen before falling to Eliteserien competition.

Transfers - Some important transfers again, as we managed to re-capture club veteran Adil Zahid who was released after one season at Eliteserien bound Kongsviger. He was joined by Icelandic winger Jake Petur Martin, who joined on a permanent deal after his loan last season, and experienced campaigners Nicolay Solberg and Patrick Sæbø. On a tough note, wildly promising midfielder Rune Nygaard departed to Swedish club Örebro SK for at least 465,000 kr (£42,500), in a deal that my Chairman came over my head to accept on the eve of the season.

Key players:

Nicolay Solberg - The veteran quickly cemented himself as one of the club's favourite personnel, with his debut season allowing him to capture the Fans' Player of the Year award. His eight goals and six assists clearly played a big part in keeping Lyn up, and he will no doubt be firmly in the team next season.

Adil Zahid - Zahid's return to the club after an ill-fated season at Kongsviger showed he has what it takes in Norway's second flight. He filled in for the departed Nygaard in the attacking midfield position, picking up where he left off with five PotM efforts.

Bam Hide - A reasonable season from last year's player of the year. He made the central midfield position his own and although he found the transition to 1. divisjon challenging, he produced a good year. The season was broken up by Thailand international duty in the Asian Cup, but he was an important cog.

Mads Gundersen - The Dane's fourth season at the club was easily his best, and he managed to play consistent football alongside Bam Hide in central midfield.

Erlend Berg Farstad - Farstad has quickly made himself the most important member of the back four, with another consistent season at centre back and left back. His second season saw greater troubles at the back for Lyn, but Farstad was the most consistent player down back by far.

Up-and-comers:

Tord Arvola - One of the most promising youngsters to emerge from the Lyn academy, Arvola made a magical debut as he came on as a late substitute and scored a winner - becoming Lyn's youngest player and goalscorer in the process. He's already attracted interest from Eliteserien clubs and even a French club, and I fear we won't get to see the best of him at Bislett.

Magnus Baasnes - His second season at the club, Baasnes managed ten appearances (including three starts) as he continues to work his way into the team. He didn't disgrace himself, and 2024 could be a big season.

Jens Haug - After threatening to breakthrough last season, young striker Jens Haug failed to make the transition to the next flight as he went goalless. He fell well back in the pecking order, and even as we failed to score goals as a team he never really managed consistent football.

Best XI and Squad - 2023

xADsUoB.png

46iJyNq.png

2022        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      1st          Promoted as champions.          
2023        1. divisjon                  13th         Norgesmesterskapet, Fourth Round. 

logo-european-football-championship-2024

2024 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS - GERMANY

Germany has prevailed at home in the 2024 European Championships, making up for a shock World Cup semi-final defeat against Sweden. The Germans won all three group stage games against England, Scotland and Russia, and were scarcely troubled en route to the final as they moved past Serbia, England and world champions Spain. In the final, they faced three-time runners up Italy, who had produced some defensive brilliance to beat France and Holland in the quarters and semis respectively. It wasn't enough in the final, though, as Germany dominated with 27 shots to 4 - Real Madrid defender Jonathan Tah scoring the decisive goal in the 70th minute.

The group stages saw few surprises, as the big teams all qualified. Belgium, fresh off a group stage exit in Qatar, were the biggest casualties as they failed to qualify from a group that also included Italy, Czech Republic and Norway. In the knock out stages, England got their revenge against World Cup runners up Sweden on penalties while Ireland was the surprise packet as they made the quarter finals.

mS7eHag.png

Leroy Sané backed up his Golden Ball at the World Cup with another stunning set of performances, as he was named the Player of the Tournament. 19-year old Paris Saint-Germain striker Noah Marechal was named Young Player of the Tournament with six goals in five starts, which also saw him claim the Golden Ball. Unlike the World Cup, the winning side's players dominated the Dream Team with seven spots.

jEqgf9f.png

Lyn-logo.jpg

2024 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

1. divisjon - An unexpectedly good season - although we were never in the promotion hunt, we managed to emerge from a log jam to finish firmly in the top half. Much of our success came down to some canny new signings, with striker Papa Sow providing some much needed spark in attack as he finished fifth in the scoring charts with 16 goals. We managed another ten goals this season, with some modest improvements in defence. As the fifth best performed team in the second half of the season, I don't expect to make significant changes in 2024. 

j42Csp4.png

With Sarpsborg falling short in the promotion play-off final, and Elverum surviving their relegation play-off against Asker, it'll be a fairly unchanged league next season. Last year's top two Aalesund and Sogndal return to the second flight after being relegated in their first seasons up, while Fløy is promoted to the 1. divisjon for the first time in its history alongside Egersunds.

Norgesmesterskapet - We started strongly with convincing 3-0 wins over non league and 3. divisjon opposition, but came unstuck against Eliteserien side Haugesund in the third round.

Transfers - There appear to be more transfers than there actually were, as I accidentally let go my entire youth intake (and then needed to hire them back!). Still, I was handed a extravagant transfer budget of approx. 1,200,000 kr (£110,000) to improve the squad, and set about spending nearly all of it. The most important signings were Senegalese striker Papa Sow (200,000 kr or £18,000) who had previously terrorised us at Asker and scored 12 goals in the season before; promising attacking midfielder Daniel Bogsveen (385,000 kr or £35,000) who had played with Sarpsborg in Eliteserien the year before; and Eliah Steenson (260,000 kr or £24,000) who had similarly played Eliteserien football.

There weren't any big name departures, but some veterans who got us to 1. divisjon were released with Ole Erik Midtskogen (75 apps, 23 goals), Jonas-Aleksander Bakken (85 apps, 28 goals); Henrik Lehne Olsen (94 apps, 14 goals); Erik Haugstad (116 apps, 21 goals); and former captain Anders Lübeck (137 apps, 9 goals) departing.

Key players:

Erlend Berg Farstad - The 28-year old made 27 league appearances and another three in the cup, as he was named Fans' Player of the Year for the first time. His third season at the club, he should be here for a few years to come.

Daniel Bogsveen - The 22-year old proved he was worth the fee we paid for him, as he cemented his spot in the central attacking midfield position early and was a consistent contributor. He will get better with time.  

Papa Sow - An incredibly important signing, as for the first time we've had a consistent goal scoring threat up front. The 32-year old Senegalese striker might only be here for a couple of seasons given his age, but another season like that will make the relatively modest fee we paid for him worth it. He went missing at times in some games, but proved his real worth with a stunning four goal haul against Moss in August which gave us a 4-3 win.

Adil Zahid - Not as good as last season, but Zahid continues to show that he has what it takes as a midfielder in the 1. divisjon with 22 league starts. Zahid has been with the club since the 3. divisjon, and we'd love to see him become a four division footballer at the same club.

Eliah Steenson - The 22-year old joined from Kongsviger, and managed to surpass Filip Johansen Westgaard as first choice right back. He proved a surprising goal scoring threat with three goals in the league and two goals in the cup.  

Up-and-comers:

Tord Arvola - The 17-year old made seven starts and another ten appearances off the bench as he continues to grow as a player. He scored three goals, and dominated reserve and U19 football. He's been pursued by a range of Eliteserien and foreign clubs, but I'd love to keep him for another season and see him grow into a first team player.

Jens Haug - Another struggle this season for Haug, as he managed just seven appearances and one goal - the opener against Start late in the season. He hasn't played enough and is therefore refusing to a sign a new contract. I'll keep looking out for him. 

Vegard Solli - The right back didn't make a lot of appearances, but as seen as a potential Eliteserien winger in the future.

Best XI and Squad - 2024

MSsPTWn.jpg

nUPkXtX.png

2022        2. divisjon, avdeling 1      1st          Promoted as champions.          
2023        1. divisjon                  13th         Norgesmesterskapet, Fourth Round.
2024        1. divisjon                  8th         

2025 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

YOUTH INTAKE

This intake wasn't of our usual quality, but 15-year old Oslo local Inge Nergaard is the most promising player. A natural midfielder, he has good technical attributes for a kid his age but his sub-par work rate is reflected in his physical skills. 

g40R6YI.png

DUK2kW0.png

GsfRIld.png

1fYET4T.png

Y5A3aUZ.png

Clearly the good word is spreading across the continent.

Although, I was inexplicably offered the Spain job when Rafa left following the 2022 World Cup, so I can't help but thinking this might be a bug. :(

I'm sticking with Norway for now.

Lyn-logo.jpg

2025 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

MID-SEASON REVIEW

uVlszFG.png

We had a massive start to the year, and following a 6-0 thumping of Arendal I had hopes of returning to Norway's top flight for the first time in sixteen years. Our impressive first eight games included impressive wins over Sogndal and Aalesund, who were both fresh off relegation from Eliteserien. However, as our 1-3 loss at the hands (or feet?) of Start showed, there were weaknesses in the squad, and despite sitting first on the table we collapsed with three straight thumpings against Levanger, Mjøndalen and Kristiansund - all contenders.

The real kicker came against bottom placed Egersunds, as we narrowly avoided handing Egersunds their first win of the year through a late penalty from Erling Berg Farstad. We managed to salvage something from the last few games, but sit just outside of the play-off places on goal difference.

zuXeHHy.png

ixJzN8k.png

A lot of players have been given chances this season, but the leading performers have been veteran left back Alexander Groven, new signing Sakarias Opdahl, and key forward Andreas Hellum. The main disappointments have been one of last year's players of the year Daniel Bogsveen who has struggled badly with form, Papa Sow whose seven goals cover up some inconsistent form, and Tord Arvola who has kicked up a stink about not being able to leave the club and his attitude is being reflected in his performances. I'll be happy to see him go eventually, but Eliteserien clubs are only generous enough to offer to take him off my hands for free.

Meanwhile, Simen Vedvik, who rejoined the club last season after being released, has performed well as a back-up winger when required this season. He's scored three goals - all of them absolute screamers from outside the box:

3zoxWrN.jpg 

qymYDlu.jpg 

fhbEaYV.jpg

Lyn-logo.jpg

2025 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

(NEARLY) SEASON REVIEW

AjBgIxy.png

Well, we've made the play-offs - but we didn't make it easy on ourselves.

After the mid-year blip, we performed well in the second half of July and early August before stumbling away to cellar dwellers Fløy. We then continued on with narrow victories and disappointing losses, as we never really comfortably cemented our spot in the play-offs. Our goal difference got a much needed boost as we smashed Mjøndalen 6-2, and then picked up decisive wins in October against Egersunds and Ranheim.

We came into our second last game of the season only really needing a result against Bærum to secure a play-off spot. I got a bit greedy, though, and we threw away a 1-0 lead to slump to a 3-1 loss. That left us needing a point against Sarpsborg - we did that, and more, as Papa Sow blasted five goals to set up a 5-2 win. Incredibly, Sow has scored 12 league goals this season - eleven of them came in three matches. 

Fok1c7g.png

Papa will have another chance to add to his tally, as we face Sarpsborg in the first play-off round.

39bykWW.png

Incredibly, thanks to a scrappy first goal of the year from centre back Tobias Ødegård (just his second in 132 league appearances for Lyn), we are through to the play-off final.

The winner will play-off against a side from Eliteserien for a place in Norway's top flight. It would be a hell of a way to go out!

Lyn-logo.jpg

2025 1. DIVISJON - LYN FOTBALL

REVIEW

1. divisjon - A very good season saw us make the 1. divisjon play-off, only to lose to Kristiansund. We managed to score the third most goals in the league in doing so, but leaked goals at the back conceding the third most too. I was dreaming big early in the year, and despite a late rally it was never to be. Still, not a bad way to go out.

5aHImUL.png

Norgesmesterskapet - We did well to win 4-0 and 4-1 against lowly opposition, but underperformed badly in the third round against Bryne in a match we should have performed better in.

Transfers - We managed to send out a lot of promising players on loan, while also doing some good business. Former Elverum midfielder Sakarias Opsahl (130,000 kr or £12,000) was our most effective signing as he went on to win player of the season. Former Eliteserien player Glenn Jåtun joined on a free from Arendal and scored eight goals in a good year, while promising teenager Stig Geelmuyden (152,000 kr or £14,000) showed some good signs after joining in the mid-season transfer window.

Key players:

Sakarias Opsahl - An excellent first season at the club, as he helped himself to the Fans' Player of the Year award. From central midfield he was one of the league's best, averaging a rating of 7.10 across his 22 league starts.

Erlend Berg Farstad - Continued to do the business in his fourth season at the club, and managed three goals and five assists from left back. Helped out in the centre.

Daniel Bogsveen - Started very slowly, and was dropped, before roaring back into the side with a big second half to the year. Seven goals and seems destined for the top flight.

Tobias Ødegård - His fifth season at the club was arguably his best. At 31, he's unlikely to play top flight football so will stay at the club for a while.

Andreas Hellum - Another reasonable season on the wing. He added six goals to his tally of six from last season.

Up-and-comers:

Tord Arvola - Spat the dummy at not being allowed to leave and then not getting enough games, so I shipped him off to Arendal on loan in the mid-year window. He sure showed me, as he helped Arendal into Eliteserien with 7 goals in 8 starts.

Stig Geelmuyden - The versatile winger joined in the mid-season, and produced some good football - 3 goals in 6 starts.

Vegard Solli - Didn't play well this year, but managed seven appearances.

Best XI and Squad - 2025

wPYoh19.png

oppBgD4.png

Season      Club                 League                       Position     Achievements
2019        Lyn 1896 FK          2. divisjon, avdeling 1      9th          
2020        Lyn 1896 FK          2. divisjon, avdeling 1      9th 
2021        Lyn 1896 FK          2. divisjon, avdeling 1      5th
2022        Lyn 1896 FK          2. divisjon, avdeling 1      1st          Promoted as champions.          
2023        Lyn 1896 FK          1. divisjon                  13th         Norgesmesterskapet, Fourth Round.
2024        Lyn 1896 FK          1. divisjon                  8th 
2025        Lyn 1896 FK          1. divisjon                  6th          Eliteserien Promotion/Relegation play-off, Second Round. 
2026        Odds BK              Eliteserien

602.png

ODDS BALLKLUBB

We go just a short two-hour drive down the road to my new home at Skagerak Arena in Skien. Magical.

tE3xEvs.png

The facilities at Skagerak Arena are OK, but I'd like to improve on coaching and youth recruitment. We've not exactly been filling up the stadium in recent years, but it's a nice enough ground.

9PbYeSK.png

Odd was top division runner up twice - in the 1950s - but have had more success in the Norwegian Cup, though, with 12 wins. That being said, recent years have been very lean for Odd, and they've been lucky to avoid relegation during the past few seasons under the guidance of Trond Strande.

mfH07MR.png

Last season was a lucky escape for Odd, and there was a real risk for a moment I'd be playing off against them with Lyn for a spot in Eliteserien. It's clear to me that defence is the problem, as Odd managed to score reasonably consistently.

FQsSjJb.png

My first thought is that some of the key players in the squad look quite old, and I'll need to focus my attention pretty quickly on goals (veteran keeper Alexander Nybo has been at the club since 2019, and has conceded 126 goals in 88 league appearances) and on the wings. The key players seem to be Jens Petter Hauge (136 apps, 21 goals), Jeppe Pedersen (78 apps, 7 goals) and veteran defender Victor Wernersson (136 apps, 2 goals). 34-year old striker Torgeir Børven has been at the club since 2018, and in that time has scored 50 league goals in 213 appearances.

There isn't a lot in the youth department (which I'd like to change), but Bård Elvenes (3 apps) is coming off a season of Eliterserien experience on loan at Kongsviger and will hopefully push for first team attention.

Archived