[FM19] Start Spreading The News..NEW YORK..RED BULLS

lblanc

I've decided to start a save in the good old US of A . 

But i'm torn between the two New York Clubs so I'v decided what better way to decide then let this community decide.

Below I'll post the two clubs simply upvote the one you think I should manage whoever has the most votes by this time next week (23/11) will be the team I will go with.

As a side part too I will also take on the management of the National Team. After failing to qualify for the World Cup in the summer the Star and Stripes are at one of the lowest times in recent history but with some great young talent starting blossom such as Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie and Timothy Weah, the dawn's early light might just continue to be a glorious day.

So if you can vote below also any tips on the MLS much appreciated. 

I just started for the first time in the MLS with DC United. Crazy amount of rules but quite interesting. I don't know the players that well, so that is also a nice, fresh challenge. Of course, you have these 30+ year olds who you know well.

As lblanc mentioned, if anyone has any tips, please :)

21 hours ago, tyro said:

I just started for the first time in the MLS with DC United. Crazy amount of rules but quite interesting. I don't know the players that well, so that is also a nice, fresh challenge. Of course, you have these 30+ year olds who you know well.

As lblanc mentioned, if anyone has any tips, please :)

Yeah the rules are a bit of a head scratcher.

I did a mls save a few years back and went over budget and couldn't register my team so hoping to avoid that scenario.

Energy Drinks > Human Rights abuse any day. 

I'm considering an MLS save again on this version so will be interested to follow yours, see if the draft is actually any use, for example. I know the bigger clubs (NYCFC, LAFC, Galaxy, Seattle) have usually had to hand about £7m to spend on players from my River Plate squad.

I am actually finding it quite interesting. I really like the idea of parity in terms of budget and they give enough wiggle room to bring in some big names and promote youth. It really feels like almost playing a different game due to the rules.

Slowly going through Pre-Season at the moment and getting to grips with the unique characteristics of the MLS.

5 hours ago, tyro said:

I am actually finding it quite interesting. I really like the idea of parity in terms of budget and they give enough wiggle room to bring in some big names and promote youth. It really feels like almost playing a different game due to the rules.

Slowly going through Pre-Season at the moment and getting to grips with the unique characteristics of the MLS.

Unique is a good way of explaining it, I loaded up  an MLS career last night and that is definitely what it is.

I was also looking at the US Team I'm actually thinking of trying a WM formation with them for a bit of fun

Exclusively play MLS teams (Canadian ones, to be precise.)  Now that Toronto FC is loaded with talent, I decided to start a game using Vancouver.  After 3 or 4 years away from FM, I was surprised at the talent level in-game now; unfortunately, my tactics aren't at all compatible with Vancouver's existing roster so I've had to spend considerable time training players in positions/roles that fit my vision.  I'm also using two custom files I created that replaces the 2nd, 3rd and 4th division in the US with 20 team leagues with pro/rel between them, along with a Canadian file that creates a basic Canadian Premier League (7 teams!!!) along with a second division for their youth squads; the main work, however, went into creating a 64-team Canadian Cup competition that opens with 16 groups of 4 teams, with the top two from each advancing to knock-out rounds.  I did this mainly as a means of giving my backup/unused players some match experience (the board doesn't even care about the competition, and I think the prize for winning it is like $50,000.)

Was quite surprised to see the transfer spending in the second season- Toronto FC spent $12.5 million to sign Alberto Moreno from Liverpool, Seattle spent $10.5 million on Denis Suarez from Barcelona, and then San Jose spent $2.8 and $2.3 million for MohamedDiame (Newcastle) and Daniele De Rossi (Roma) respectively.

Heck, my roster budget went from about $9 million in the first season (to cover designated player contracts) to $27 million the second season!!!  I'm currently spending less than $6 million in total salaries, so I could shift all of that towards transfer money if I wanted/needed to (I already have 3 DPs, though.)  I only need enough money to hold onto young foreign players just long enough for them to become eligible to play for Canada, so I doubt I'll be spending big money on an elite DP in the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, lblanc said:

And the winner is New York Red Bulls

Overview to follow...

What a surprise :)

10 hours ago, looknohands said:

Exclusively play MLS teams (Canadian ones, to be precise.)  Now that Toronto FC is loaded with talent, I decided to start a game using Vancouver.  After 3 or 4 years away from FM, I was surprised at the talent level in-game now; unfortunately, my tactics aren't at all compatible with Vancouver's existing roster so I've had to spend considerable time training players in positions/roles that fit my vision.  I'm also using two custom files I created that replaces the 2nd, 3rd and 4th division in the US with 20 team leagues with pro/rel between them, along with a Canadian file that creates a basic Canadian Premier League (7 teams!!!) along with a second division for their youth squads; the main work, however, went into creating a 64-team Canadian Cup competition that opens with 16 groups of 4 teams, with the top two from each advancing to knock-out rounds.  I did this mainly as a means of giving my backup/unused players some match experience (the board doesn't even care about the competition, and I think the prize for winning it is like $50,000.)

Was quite surprised to see the transfer spending in the second season- Toronto FC spent $12.5 million to sign Alberto Moreno from Liverpool, Seattle spent $10.5 million on Denis Suarez from Barcelona, and then San Jose spent $2.8 and $2.3 million for MohamedDiame (Newcastle) and Daniele De Rossi (Roma) respectively.

Heck, my roster budget went from about $9 million in the first season (to cover designated player contracts) to $27 million the second season!!!  I'm currently spending less than $6 million in total salaries, so I could shift all of that towards transfer money if I wanted/needed to (I already have 3 DPs, though.)  I only need enough money to hold onto young foreign players just long enough for them to become eligible to play for Canada, so I doubt I'll be spending big money on an elite DP in the foreseeable future.

I was looking for a file to add lower levels but they seemed to change the entire structure and not just add other tiers.

I continue to slowly progress towards the main season. It seems I won't be able to register all my players as there is a foreign player limit.

image.png.0d68b7afda6e8c2eb2e58b02ab2cabcb.png

Team Overview/History

The New York Red Bulls are an American professional soccer team based in Harrison, New Jersey. The Red Bulls compete as a member of the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS). The club was established in October 1994 and began play in the league's inaugural season in 1996 as the New York/New Jersey MetroStars. In 2006 the team was sold to Red Bull GmbH and re-branded as part of the company's global network of football clubs, leading to the team's current name.

The Red Bulls have played their home matches at Red Bull Arena since 2010, having previously played at Giants Stadium.

825px-Redbull_arena.jpg

The club is one of two teams in MLS based in the New York metropolitan region along with New York City FC, which entered the league in 2015. The two sides compete against each other in the Hudson River Derby.

Honours

The Red Bulls start the MLS season with two Supporters Shields( awarded to the team who garners the most points of the season over the two MLS conferences) and 6 Eastern Conference Titles (IRL the Red Bulls have added to this by winning both in the 2018 season)

The big one which has so far alluded them is is the MLS Cup, having finished runner up in 2008

MLS Cup

Runners-up: 2008

Supporters' Shield

Winners (2): 2013, 2015,

U.S. Open Cup

Runners-up (2): 2003, 2017

Eastern Conference

Winners (Regular season) (5): 2000, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016

Winners (Play-off): 2008

Team Roster

Goalkeepers

The three goalkeepers on my team

image.thumb.png.7054bd2cb044f1033e858454c7a3d863.png

Robles is my undisputed number 1 and current captain of the team,Ryan Meara a is capable backup if needed. Louro is young and came through the academy. 

Defenders

First up my centre back options

image.thumb.png.4fa7255930d133f40bb2b50a6c02892c.png

Tim Parker is the stand out with Aaron Long most likely going to start as his partner. Fidel Escobar is on loan and Tommy Redding is young and has a lot of potential. Collin is attracting interest and will most likely leave the team in the near future.

Full backs

image.thumb.png.f99b1e3243f79bc60d827da7f0a7dcab.png

Again a very youthful look to my full backs. Michael Murillo and Kemar Lawrence will be the most likely of starters but Tyler Adams is a star is the making.  Connor Lade can cover a left back too. Ethan Kutler despite his young age is the weakest and will most likely leave.

Midfield

image.thumb.png.61fe4ab26139cda8ec3afb62bfde45eb.png

The midfield sees a lot of cover on the wings especially the right handside. Diego Royer being the pick of the bunch.  Sean Davis and the on loan Marc  Rzatkowsk will most likely be my centre mid options, Tyler Adams can also play there so he may provide cover. Alejandro Romero Gamarra (Or Kaku as he is known) is going to be my lynchpin in the attacking midfield roll the Argentinian born Paraguay international is one of my Designated players. Another two young wingers Ben Mines and Derrick Burckley Etienne Jr. (to give him his full name) make up my midfield options. Florian Valot may leave.

Forwards

image.thumb.png.e94a1acafaf60d184ef33e06d665812b.png

In Attack I only have two options, My other Designated player Bradley Wright Philips and the young Brian White. BWP will obviously be my starter. This is an area I will look to improve upon.

Tactics

image.thumb.png.6184716fc507473e42a810fbc0fe19fb.png

Tactics wise I've decided to go with the following.  I've told Gamarra to roam, take more risk and use direct passing in hope he can unlock defenses. I've asked both more wingers to aim crosses to the centre to hopefully find BWP.

Shirt badge/Association crest

US National Team

As I pointed out in the original post I'm also going to take control of the US National Team. After failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup the National Team is at a rebuilding phase. But there are some very good young players coming through and I'm hoping to to borrow a phrase MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!

Honours 

The team biggest success came back in 1930 were they finished 3rd in the inaugural World Cup. A runner up in the Confederations Cup being their most recent success outside of the CONCACAF region which has seen them win 6 Gold Cups only bettered by Mexico with 7.

FIFA World Cup

Third place (1): 1930

Quarter-Finals (1): 2002

FIFA Confederations Cup

Runners-up (1): 2009

Third place (2): 1992, 1999

CONCACAF Championship / CONCACAF Gold Cup

Champions (6): 1991, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2017

Runners-up (5): 1989, 1993, 1998, 2009, 2011

Third place (2): 1996, 2003

Copa América

Fourth place (2): 1995, 2016

image.png.9cde1eb77da790c7223119ff38fdc686.png

Star Players

Michael Bradley

Current captain the 30 year old hopefully still has time to be able to lead the team out in Qatar in 2022 after missing out this year 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fefaabc93bd90f5e7bc212dc0fbbeeb2.png

John Brooks

The 24 year old German born defender is man who will hold my defence together. Currently plies his trade in the Bundesliga. Great pace and Composure for a big man. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ada6dd17bfa5cc3cf1ea090fe025bf7c.png

Christian Pulisic 

The Dortmund winger is the man who Americans hope will lead them back to the promised land. A bright future ahead of him

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.954946a8d187df5805f54d1680a4ee89.png

Bobby Wood

The Honolulu man is considered Americas main goal threat. Plying his trade in Germany since 2007 he has developed into a very good striker. Great pace and Work rate make him a real hand full for defenses. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8cc6b661e3724d55cd20358b9541ae8d.png

Weston McKennie

The young Schalke midfielder another one who is tireless in his efforts at 19 he will certainly become a star.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e41f7b473bdb56c9bbff26c7fa717e81.png

DeAndre Yedlin,

The Newcastle wing backs has pace to burn a massive threat for any defense. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.36869f0890d275a93581964041157ed1.png

Timothy Weah

The son of the great George Weah currently at PSG if this guy turns into half the player his father was then the Americans have a World Star in the making

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b7f21deaebe9a92ded04487fe07dd9e9.png 

Zack Steffen & Ethan Horvath

Brad Guzan is probably the number one for the moment but that position is under threat from the above two. Both 22 and possessing impressive stats. Steffen currently plays in the MLS with Columbus Crew but is wanted by Bayer Leverkusen, while Horvath is in Belgium with Club Brugge

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.55739891dc3bc58e53054044ccb8d189.pngimage.thumb.png.cf8d52c949dfdada11d23c0363b10b8a.png

Pre Season/ Transfer Update

So Finally got through the pre-season with New York

image.thumb.png.441080cf44bea16a21b11afb298b148f.png

Some great games there including a 5-5 draw with Chicago Fire. Unlucky to lose New England, but I was happy enough with the performance.

In terms of Transfers I've brought in 4 players and 1 has gone out on loan which was Andreas Ivan as I didn't have space for him in the squad due to International restrictions.

The four in were as follows,

image.png.46328581d93c9d174ad93c239c5ba68d.png

Chris McCann- Trade from Atlanta- I needed some cover for left back and I offered Atlanta my first pick from the 2019 Draft pick and they accepted.

image.png.e89929e5ab6498548a77fae09c94ae7c.png

Stéfano  Pinho I picked up in the draft, he was let go by Orlando I wanted cover for the left wing and Stefano fit the bill nicely

image.png.cf7701c04a9ee4cb45d7abffc087c2a7.png

Keaton Parks- The young American has plenty of potential currently at Benfica I noticed him on the loan list after I was looking over my US under age squad I needed cover for centre mid positions so in came Keaton on a season long loan.

And the last one is a special one....

As pointed out in my initial squad overview I wanted someone to come in to help Bradley Wright Phillips upfront so after seeing who was available I thought who better to bring to the club then a New Jersey native and someone who has a lot of experience (And has been linked IRL too) 

Welcome to the Red Bulls

image.png.cd6a9bf6dd331382e26b869360e13b97.png

GIUSEPPE ROSSI 

i know Rossi has had his injuries but at 31 he still has plenty to give

image.thumb.png.b9d0eca7314d97cfa990f46d0e1c3500.png

He has some impressive Techincal attributes as well as some Mental ones. Obviously his physical ones are a worry but I'm confident he can be a success

14 hours ago, zlatanera said:

The moment you signed Rossi I started caring more about this save.

Occasionally contemplate going back to FM15 or something when he wasn't ruined physically yet.

Very true I picked him up on a free last year during one of my journey man save he done well for about 5 games before doing his cruciate again.

He hasn't actually played for me yet as BWP is on fire scoring 5 in 4,

image.png.e923e63d82fdced97f12e87d13426463.png

My career as US National Coach didn't get off to the best start losing 3-1 away to Turkey.

I was able to give run out to a lot of youngsters though the average age of my squad was 23.

John Brooks had a nightmare of a game scoring an own goal and being caught out of position and missing a clearance for another goal.

Timothy Weah scored my consolation goal. He'll definitely be one to throw on for the last 15-20 minutes of a game against tired defenses.

I don't have any friendlies lined up for the rest of the year not yet anyway (Next year I'll have the 2019 Gold Cup) so I will look to give as many players a chance in the coming year.

In my first game I gave 3 players their debuts,

My own defender Tim Parker

image.png.3769cabd373d03818de5e68ed5ee06a5.png

after a great pre-season and start to the season I decided to give him his chance and first cap

Emmanuel Boateng

image.png.5e69937dd958c53a4cab1a95f5a91b56.png

After he came declaring for the national team I decided why not give him a chance. tbh it will probably be his last

James Sands

image.png.115e2b1c1d59959b37d22a23aa785eeb.png

This young lad is the going to be the future Michael Bradley only 17 and already adept as a defensive midfielder,Half back and Segundo Volante. I look forward to see how he develops.

After the game I made some changes to backroom team out went David Sarachan as Assistant Manager in came the national teams joint record goal scorer

Landon Donovan

image.png.763a848f5bc4975b50ae20b55749bab0.png

I'll admit he doesn't have great stats but I don't think that really matters in International football, he is a legend of the US and brings a lot of respect.

My first two months  of the MLS Season have gone fantastic

image.thumb.png.1245293a86eb781073a8cad31903fab5.png

7 Games - 6 Wins and 1 draw away to LA Galaxy (The 6 wins in a row being a new Red Bulls record)

Eastern Conference Table  & Supporters Shield

image.thumb.png.b1a0cb707e27152412b9625bd9a1ca3f.pngimage.thumb.png.bd6e818ccae83528fe985b17b4113f78.png

Some of the games have gone down to the wire (I find that the MLS ref's are a little laxy when it comes to the added time i.e. they say 2 minutes and they will play 5)

image.png.4b63c9f77344048efc3e8805c7c0c09e.png

Last minute Royer goal in the 94th minute of added on time.

The most dramatic though has to go the game at home to Montreal Impact 

image.png.d57d18fad7a3602e4b84703511c8f7c3.png

In the last 91st minute of the game, making his Red Bull debut, Rossi makes his mark to get us all 3 points.

The last two games against Chicago and LA Galaxy had their hero with Luis Robles saving late penalties in both games.

Up next in the league is the Hudson River Derby against NYCFC.

A tough May and June seen me lose for the first time, then a second and a third and also get knocked out of the US Cup (tbh I wasn't too bothered with that)

image.thumb.png.1f97926e1e703b90f5c518c5955da418.png

The two big games were of course the Hudson Derby against NYCFC which I won 3-1 

image.png.235ce937b981d7acc12b5513544bf703.png

Atlanta the team who at the time I was fighting to keep ahead of finished 2-2 Josef Martinez getting two goals for them.

image.png.c51a6f7eacc1d8b269ae2c32ed988a4e.png

I then lost the Turnpike Derby against Philadelphia to complete May with a only 4 points won . June didn't get off to the best starts either

image.png.87cbc10664147e88f84a0fb73ba0cc80.png

New England equalising in the 90th minutes then that cup loss. Two back to back wins seen us recover only for FC Dallas to beat me for the second time in the month.

It leaves the league as follows

image.thumb.png.884a94dabefe95fe0690b8238b61a412.png

5 points behind with 3 games in hand over Atlanta. 

In the Supporters Shield

image.thumb.png.bafcb81d2adb145a519a9fff2d49113f.png

I currently sit 4th but of course have games in hand and of course have to play Vancouver so I'm still hopeful of catching them but they are on fire in the Western Conference.

The next two months has some difficult ties coming up

image.thumb.png.944ee84056aa6d38dc6e4a70f4765a5e.png

Two Hudson Derbies away as well as that game with Vancouver 

Some Friendlies have been lined up for Team USA

September

image.png.d398d12ba158142174d78f11cd9e684d.png

Australia visit the Sports Authority Field in Denver

image.png.75cdc1f249f491dbb214901c94f67812.png

A week later Peru visit Kansas.

October

image.png.eadc66ed65484c5de9053dcec9e0acd7.png

An Away friendly with neighbors Canada 

image.png.505e76e88079f3f99d9fb26f5d0d6dbe.png

Followed a week later by South Korea in Nashville

November

image.png.f1b4b432af06cf06074b7e437673e023.png

First up Paraguay visit  Kansas.

Then the big one President Trump says he will be in attendance and shall extend a welcome should he wish to join Kim Jong Un

image.png.c439651662bd7dce9e3ff30ce95c1e29.png

In Texas North Korea will be the visitors for only the second time in their history. The first being a 2-1 win in 1991.

Transfer News

Out

Conor Lade

image.png.cfae0b0c5d81386e9852c83aa259e7e1.png

Haven't actually played him at all he left for Las Vegas on a free.

Florian Valot

image.png.f9479c61f98725bd1a26c76810f69ddf.png

The French played one game and got sent off in five minutes, wasn't the best player either nowhere near the first team so I waived him to give myself another International spot.

In

Medhi Abeid

image.png.a894217412a8f284e7fc2d4b40fd8e2e.png

The Algerian international has come in on loan until the end of season. I wanted some else creative in the middle so the former Newcastle player was my man

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e17dfae9042b113b28e8340ea1572db4.png

Good passing and dribbling stats. Those long shots may also come in handy

MLS All Stars

I'm delighted that four of my players have been selected for the All Stars game vs Arsenal

image.png.864b574909cbcac5b0396ea0baab942f.png

Luis Robles

image.png.f5568bf98c3276a93269250c7460f812.png

Michael Murillo

image.png.f3bf00364c3fcd8eaff5c45422a28a81.png

Tyler Adams

image.png.7462dfd8c51d6821aaf2fa3efddf7d16.png

Daniel Royer

With four players in the team I have the most players in the squad ahead of Atlanta and Seattle who both have 3

The full squad is as follows

image.thumb.png.d77ad709250968a65354090e7ab968ca.png

I'd imagine the current teams manager top of the Supporter's Shield is selected as the manager as that is still Vancouver who Craig Dalrympie is manager of.

• 3 weeks later...

July and August

My last update alluded to a difficult next two months for the Red Bulls with two Hudson Derbies and the big one against the current Supporters Shield leaders Vancouver.

July

image.thumb.png.88f01877e3c9b4596d28113f37e29a86.png

First up in July was the defending MLS Champions Toronto away a 0-0 draw, in a fairly even game which either team could have nicked but no one could. The first Hudson Derby of this update and it finished 3-2. Bradley Wright Philips bagging two goals with Rzatkowski getting the winner in the 49th minute.

image.png.ae88d3588c6fedbe3bd94a43b7c74f90.png

The next game against Kansas was an epic game finishing 5-4, Murillo was shown a straight red for a horror challenge and Nemeth scoring a hat trick but it was Bradley Wright Philips who was the hero grabbing a stoppage time winner, after Nemeth had completed his hat trick and looked to gained Kansas a share of the points.

image.png.cff3540b5f262e7493472c0eb5364df8.png

A great comeback in the next game too in against New England, Romero scoring a cracking free kick to win it early in the second half after Wright Phillips had equalised from the penalty spot just before half time.

Two draws against DC United and Columbus rounded off the month.

August

I'm going to break August into two parts as I think it shows two different stories

image.thumb.png.4962d7d87e9d72073051b912786ca6bc.png

The first part seen a disappointing 1-1 draw a home to LAFC, a game I should be winning but credit to LAFC they played well and took the lead in the 53rd minute but in the 82nd minute with his first touch having come on in the 80th minute

image.png.72f1fe0d7a4e203b906351b237ec5308.png

Giuseppe Rossi equalised 1-1 it would finish,

A routine 2-0 win away to Chicago would bring me up to the Supporter shield table top show down but in a tight game neither team could make the breakthrough but I'm happy enough with a point as coupled with Vancouver losing to Portland a few days later would give me the chance to overtake them should I win the Hudson Derby

And Did I Win it!!!

image.png.39172df38855992c778cf87c982ad154.png

Royer grabbed one just before half time, Rossi added another and Bezecourt with one before Royer got his second what a win!!!

And the big wins would continue

image.png.e2e06bd84b12a3f536db752f4e1f1361.png

A great display against DC where Wayne Rooney got sent off.

image.png.6b5d1964b13ca700d3f5b0b8aa6d9ed2.png

A hard fought 2-0 win at home to Houston rounded off the month.

Current Standings in are as follows:

Eastern Conference

image.thumb.png.437a14c4214c9f3bb423df31b8f9beaa.png

Supporters Shield- Top 10

image.thumb.png.63a97f3de8db8f3a533d15abbcd128ee.png

Next Two months

image.thumb.png.6fb345f29cf5af248b8629ecfd3c9ce6.png

2 tough home games and some tricky aways but I'm very confident of maintaining my momentum and securing the Supporters Shield for 2018. 

September and October

Well what a mixed run in I had to the regular season

An unbeaten September

image.thumb.png.ced612383a8a530c9e26c6f5b7ab271e.png

3 wins and a draw

Then October didn't see one win.

image.thumb.png.09356b893d8068565e7837f84242f5df.png

Was it enough?

image.thumb.png.df9147c1f397395688daf3942a421cbd.png

It was indeed that run in September seen me take a 10 point lead over Vancouver who had a game in hand but after losing that game I'd won the Supporters Shield before I played San Jose. An unlucky loss followed but we were Champions and through to the Semi Finals of the Eastern Conference.

The conferences finished like so

Eastern

image.thumb.png.b7ccd2532f7d73f35b80afb33f2d3355.png 

Western

image.thumb.png.1db9d37bdccac2106cd7e5440e86406b.png

How tight was that league btw going into the last game 5th-9th could have qualified for the Playoffs

Overall Supporters Shield

image.thumb.png.2d80c89426f5f2e34db414f773e6f2e0.pngimage.thumb.png.e45e861c7a79fcd469dbc75374d44c39.png

Next up for the season is the Wildcard Playoff round

image.thumb.png.9dc1bb4c1bb76edf4bec9bd9319471b0.png

Here is who we have Next update for New York Red Bulls will show our progress hopefully towards the MLS Cup

In Between the above matches I had some US National Team games

First up was Australia

image.png.104fa1573a1a1cc707978cb3c25ec8b2.png

Pulisic scored in the 26th minute to give me my first win as the National coach

It was followed unfortunately by another loss to Peru

image.png.8f5ba70e9b5221b5d279f652df63cdbe.png

It was a good chance though to try out some players with 5 players getting their first caps

Two of my New Yorks boys Aaron Long and Stefano Pinho (who declared for the US) DC United midfielder Russell Canouse , New England keeper Matt Turner and Real Salt Lake's Jose Hernandez pulling on the Stars and Stripes for the first time.

In October 

image.png.39257a1285e5e9d3ced1d19362a46ba8.png

Kenny Saief scored his first goal for the National Team in a 2-0 win over neighbours Canada, The young Adonis Amaya also picked up his first cap the LA Galaxy II player is highly rated and was considering switching to El Salvador so I brought him into the squad to give him a feel, of course only being a friendly he can still switch but I hope that cap keeps him with us.

image.png.445c2a9668ca7d99ce78dafc01220385.png

Next up was South Korea and what a win 3-1. My New York Red Bull midfielder Sean Davis would earn his first cap as would the young Koln goalkeeper Brady Scott.

Next two games are in November against Paraguay and the big political clash against North Korea. 

MLS Playoffs

The quest for MLS Cup Glory

First step was to see who I would get in the Conference semi Final having won the Conference league I had automatically qualified alongside runners up Philadelphia Union

image.thumb.png.3bae1d8aead15869c2549081eb12739f.png

In the Eastern side Atlanta United and NYCFC won Houston and Sporting Kansas in the West

And who did I get drawn to play none other the my New York rivals NYCFC

Bradley Wright Phillips would not feature after an injury so Rossi would take his place

image.png.297182a1957a0db98dcece61197cde39.png

And did he deliver two goals from the Italian earning a draw and two vital away goals.

Back to the Red Bull Arena and the home leg

image.png.8381cf173b0dda10d901c06cc1727ab9.png

Bezecourt was the hero a 1-0 win seeing us through to the Eastern Conference final to play Philadelphia Union who beat Atlanta 6-2 on aggregate.

Coming  up towards the first leg and disaster struck

image.thumb.png.f5ad3341824890516318c362011b3406.png

:-( Poor Giuseppe, his cruciate again. I think this may be the end for him

image.thumb.png.71c31ab3fe304eed63318ad2da8d5f3c.png

I gave him some encouraging words but he will decide come the end of the year what to do.

Back to the field and Philly were next up in the conference final

image.png.2a8c486c47285a937f935c52f8e6e0a6.png

What was almost a superb fightback was kicked back with Dockal winning it in injury time but two away goals were not to sniffed at, I have been very strong at home so I knew I still had a chance.

image.png.4d39de90b632283a8590be5bc91a4a6e.png

And a chance I had indeed Royer with two goals as I turned the tie around to win the Eastern Conference final and set up the MLS Cup Final against Vancouver who overseen Kansa 5-2 in their Conference final

So the final the two teams who finished top of their respective conferences done battle

image.png.d33c4a8b138a3bde4c9f2107d198239b.png

What a way to win the Cup Pinho my makeshift CF with two goals the 66 Vancouver fans went home crying, there will be celebrations in The Shore Tonight!!

Daniel Royer would go on to claim the Landon Donovan Award for the MLS MVP Player of the year

image.thumb.png.b923e5ddeaea847c82cb5f84900c5143.png

With 19 goals and 9 assists the Austrian was a worthy winner and won a good margin too.

Robles would win goalkeeper of the year picking up 21 votes from a possible 22 only myself not voting for him as I wasn't allowed.

Despite my success Craig Dalrymple of Vancouver won the Coach of the Year

4 of my players would make it into the Team of the Year

image.thumb.png.44336b669fe6f5d9ee177479e853044d.png

In between those game two US National Team games took place

image.png.8f5cdfaba0364ebb868e1b24b5ebfea4.png

An Impressive 4-3 win over Paraguay

And over course the big one USA v North Korea

image.png.3bf1a87b533f0accb82cebbc33fbae31.png

Both countries leaders attended the game but it turned out to be game to forget

image.png.da59ba7fef9833a931ffc9bd70ea0829.png

Despite the US dominating the play they couldn't find a way through.

Speaking after the game President Trump said 

" It was a good game, so many great chances for the touchdown but we couldn't get that Home Run unfortunately"

Kim Jong Un was quoted as saying

"Trump kept asking me what position Michael Jordan was playing"

Discussions are in place for a rematch hopefully to happen in Pyongyang next year.

But next up will be the Expansion draft as Cincinnati enter the MLS next year. 

GRAZIE GIUSEPPE :-(

image.thumb.png.44f84d1b325a2487c3ae46c180e3d6a2.png

Unfortunately the 6th knee injury of his career sees Giuseppe retire from the game. He made 24 appearances for me scoring 6 very important goals, he will always have a special place in the hearts of all Red Bull fans after his performance in the Conference Semi Final against NYCFC.

I have offered him the chance to join the backroom team as a coach we wait and see. 

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@lblanc I've fired up an Atlanta United save, may make a thread for it, but currently unsure. I was wondering, did you find much use for the various drafts? Or did you find it was better to just use draft picks for trading?

I got some decent cover from the drafts, pinho for example he actually went on to be a great buy for me.

Other than that I just skipped them

Archived