How to recruit from surrounding area like Bilbao

Being from the North East and reading this article made me want to try something similar in FM, but as far as I can tell there's no way to filter a player search by region of birth. I could maybe make a filter that did this:

IS [BORN IN] =  Ashington
OR IS BORN IN = Gateshead
OR IS BORN IN = Durham

OR IS BORN IN = Dunston

OR IS BORN IN = Stanley

...but it's going to take an awful long time to list every single North-Eastern town in the game. Is that the only way, do we think?

I did something similar with Fiorentina - only recruiting from Tuscany. Yeah, that's pretty much how to do it. What I did was make two filters - one of clubs in the region, for homegrown in the region players, and one for birthplaces. I started the birthplace one by adding every Tuscan-born player at the club's birthplace, then every time my scouts recommended a player and their birthplace turned out to be in the right area, I added it to the list. Also kept the list in my Notes app, so I could more easily check whenever a player popped up.

Its a time suck to be sure, but quite rewarding if that's how you want to play the game.  

15 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Being from the North East and reading this article made me want to try something similar in FM, but as far as I can tell there's no way to filter a player search by region of birth. I could maybe make a filter that did this:

IS [BORN IN] =  Ashington
OR IS BORN IN = Gateshead
OR IS BORN IN = Durham

OR IS BORN IN = Dunston

OR IS BORN IN = Stanley

...but it's going to take an awful long time to list every single North-Eastern town in the game. Is that the only way, do we think?

This is pretty much the only way you're going to be able to do it. I did a similar thing with the north west for Manchester United and just used the editor to find out all the towns in the game that fit that region, then added them to a filter in the player search in the editor one by one. If a town didn't add any players, I eliminated it from the list.

You can do similar with clubs as well. The thing about Bilbao is how flexible their definition of 'Basque' is - being trained in a club in the region is enough, as is having fairly removed Basque relations. Laporte for example only qualified due to having Basque great-grandparents and had never played in the region prior to agreeing to join Bilbao, who then facilitated a move to a youth team in France near the border that is in the greater Basque region.

So you can be fairly wide in your definition of the 'north-east'.

24 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

ah...I've a problem with the editor. If anyone has it open, would they be able to c + p the list of North East towns in here? Would be greatly appreciated

Towns:

Spoiler

Hexham
Hurworth-on-Tees
Guisborough
Tow Law
Consett
Ashington
Shildon
Easington
North Shields
Chester-le-Street